Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I like the job except for the times where I'm anxious about workload (seemingly especially when the work isn't that much) and then I don't work so then I get more anxious about the poo poo I'm putting off and it spirals and I get miserable.

Oddly enough it doesn't happen when I'm really busy, just when there's a bunch of random poo poo around the office that needs to get done but I don't feel like doing. Welp that's my story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

sullat posted:

https://twitter.com/scuttling/status/1015280584606801920?s=20

Is there anything in the Louisiana rules that says a dog can't be a lawyer?

like i said when this went to appeal in the first place, a lawyer dog is still a lawyer

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SlothBear posted:

4 minutes on not guilty on a DUI many years ago - the majority of which was a bathroom break for the jurors apparently. It should never have gone to trial. My client was obviously never driving, half the investigating officers testified to that fact. The jurors went back looked at each other, all agreed not guilty instantly and that was it.

That was more about having an absolutely brain-dead prosecutor than anything so special I did though.

Yeah obviously this was a ridiculous case. The facts were on my side and so all I had to do was be organized and efficient. When we picked the jury in addition to the typical defense-favoring types I was looking for people who seemed annoyed that they were even there. Then the plaintiff lawyer in his opening said “My clients didn’t ask to be here today,” and one of them literally rolled her eyes, and I thought “Yes...yes...”

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Staryberry posted:

I started seeing a therapist a couple months ago, but I think I need to search for a new one. Her general advice so far has been that I did well in law school, so I just needed to find the way to motivate myself to do well now. If “nut-up” was going to work, it would have worked years ago.

Any advice on finding someone? My insurance’s website/psychology today seems like such a crap shoot.

I burned through like a thousand therapists before I found someone for me. Word of mouth is your best bet; I’d ask for a referral from your family doctor/general practitioner.

Another good option might be your state bar association if they have a mental health organization like Texas has with TLAP. I can’t vouch for it but I’d think they could recommend you a therapist.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah obviously this was a ridiculous case. The facts were on my side and so all I had to do was be organized and efficient. When we picked the jury in addition to the typical defense-favoring types I was looking for people who seemed annoyed that they were even there. Then the plaintiff lawyer in his opening said “My clients didn’t ask to be here today,” and one of them literally rolled her eyes, and I thought “Yes...yes...”

So what was the plaintiff’s claim?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What's everyone's record on deliberation?

I just had a jury come back with a 12-0 defense verdict after 8 minutes and 8 seconds. Shattered my firm's previous record.

42 minutes

I left the courthouse for lunch and the jury convicted my guy before I could make it back

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

yronic heroism posted:

So what was the plaintiff’s claim?

It was a car accident. Their version as to how it happened was unbelievable and contradicted by my client, an independent witness, the state trooper who investigated the accident, and an expert who reconstructed it. It wasn’t even like a misunderstanding, they made some poo poo up that was diametrically opposed to reality.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Discendo Vox posted:

:yeshaha:

If any of you are fans, the politoons thread just dug up deposition from infamous Russian government shill and solipsistic, egotistical scuzzball Tedd Rall, who had a habit of suing people for mocking him, trying to ruin them. (Rall was also threatening the people who had posted the deposition.) The file's here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845211&pagenumber=548&perpage=40#post486165612

Representative sample:

First thought: Sounds like Rall being Rall.
...Yep.
Second thought: I wonder if it's that guy in the Legal Qs thread that was obsessed with Rall?
...Yep.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
What characteristics make a person likely to really enjoy a biglaw job? Other than a taste for self-flagellation.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Lack of any inner life, total submission to a tiger mom, sufficient cognitive dissonance to tolerate the reality of their day to day existence without resorting to suicide

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I’ve seen (but not personally tried) a 15 minutes note guilty and an 8 minute guilty.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

What characteristics make a person likely to really enjoy a biglaw job? Other than a taste for self-flagellation.

Gunneritis. Usually flares up in one's 1L year but can strike as early as late high school. It can be difficult to detect at certain institutions where substantially all of a given class year suffer the affliction.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Anyone that says “pre-law” as their major in college is a huge risk factor

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Lote posted:

Anyone that says “pre-law” as their major in college is a huge risk factor

I generally assume those people never even get in to law school.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I generally assume those people never even get in to law school.

Don't be silly, everyone can get into a law school.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

GET MONEY posted:

It definitely isn't intelligence or education. I can't tell you how many really smart people end up hating the job.

I enjoy being a biglaw partner. I think the characteristics that help me are: (i) high levels of discipline, (ii) insane levels of self confidence, (iii) low susceptibility to stress and anxiety, (iv) very high competitiveness, (v) ability to manage difficult people/relationships and (vi) very low need for sleep.

Nonexistence seems to be right about one thing about me and that is lack of an inner life. I've never felt any strong existential angst or had a midlife crisis. I don't watch movies or TV shows or read fiction and I don't do much gaming anymore. My hobbies are generally physical now. Brazilian jiu jitsu, lifting, etc.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 19, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Vox Nihili posted:

Don't be silly, everyone can get into a law school.

Well the law school of their choice, and then they think their 3.4 GPA and 155 LSAT is too good for anywhere else.

I’m saying they’re better off than actual law grads.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
In our court, I believe 12 minute guilty is the record.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Yuns posted:

It definitely isn't intelligence or education. I can't tell you how many really smart people end up hating the job.

I enjoy being a biglaw partner. I think the characteristics that help me are: (i) high levels of discipline, (ii) insane levels of self confidence, (iii) low susceptibility to stress and anxiety, (iv) very high competitiveness, (v) ability to manage difficult people/relationships and (vi) very low need for sleep.

Nonexistence seems to be right about one thing about me and that is lack of an inner life. I've never felt any strong existential angst or had a midlife crisis. I don't watch movies or TV shows or read fiction and I don't do much gaming anymore. My hobbies are generally physical now. Brazilian jiu jitsu, lifting, etc.

drat, I have the first three but not the last three. No inner life as you describe it, but also no gunneritis. I am the splitter of splitters.

If only there was a way to figure this out without gambling $150K.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

GET MONEY posted:

drat, I have the first three but not the last three. No inner life as you describe it, but also no gunneritis. I am the splitter of splitters.

If only there was a way to figure this out without gambling $150K.

If you're this unsure about it my advice is don't do it. If the only reason you want to do it, or think it will be worth it to do it is biglaw (based on your question), don't do it. I'm reiterating the first post, but EVERYONE thinks they have what it takes to be top 5-10% needed to get biglaw jobs and statistically it won't be you. If biglaw is the necessary or desired outcome, you have to assume you are NOT going to make it.

I graduated 20th in my class and I didn't get a single follow-up interview with any big law firm I interviewed with (Chicago and New York). I did get a summer offer at a Delaware firm now paying $160k and didn't take it. The guy who did who graduated with me in May 2017 is already leaving and is signed up for the Pennsylvania bar because Delaware isn't UBE. Another guy I graduated with is going back to teaching, having wasted 3 years of earning. Instead I took the summer offer at a local mid-sized firm who didn't offer me at the end of the summer. Despite my rank, it took me until 2 months before graduation to get a job offer worth taking, which I have just recently transitioned into the job I plan to keep for decades (or at least the field I want). What I'm saying is, the market sucks, a lot of people hate their field, everyone thinks they will get paid the big bucks when by necessity almost no one does, and you will endure stress, lost wages, and opportunity costs for 3 years for something you likely won't get.

Now knowing what board this is, you're going to ignore me. So at the very least, I recommend you arrange a way to shadow lawyers in their day to day and see if you'd like the life. Not just biglaw, shadow a small firm, medium firm, government. gently caress, get a job in a firm. Then imagine doing that job for 40 years.

In any event, I look forward to the 3 years of posts about the ups and downs of law school and the inevitable "we told you so" in approximately 4 years.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Were you at a T14ish school? I like most of what I've read about the actual work, I have corporate job experience, and the supposed placement stats look promising. I'd need biglaw to both pay off the debt and stay in the country.

I really think I could do it academically (because I am a special Very Stable Genius snowflake) but killing myself at school just to want to kill myself at work for 5-7 years is..dampening. But I can't tell whether the complaints are mostly coming from the K-JD/TTT set.

And I have to decide, like, within a week.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

GET MONEY posted:

Were you at a T14ish school? I like most of what I've read about the actual work, I have corporate job experience, and the supposed placement stats look promising. I'd need biglaw to both pay off the debt and stay in the country.

I really think I could do it academically (because I am a special Very Stable Genius snowflake) but killing myself at school just to want to kill myself at work for 5-7 years is..dampening. But I can't tell whether the complaints are mostly coming from the K-JD/TTT set.

Didn’t you have a bad gpa and just an okay (like high 160s or a 170) LSAT? Doesn’t bode well for your big law chances.

I ended up doing panda law but I went to a “””top””” school so many of my classmates went to big law. They mostly dislike it. And the debt burden is more like over $200k because you also take loans to cover your living costs for 3 years.

I know one guy who entered law school later in life so he is more tolerant of big law because it’s already his second or third career, but at the end of the day he still has to work long hours at drudgery and take partner abuse. It’s not great.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I worked in BigLaw briefly. It was my personal vision of hell.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nah go to law school get money. Do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GET MONEY posted:

You’re not going to be in the top 2-3% of your class. I don’t care how smart you are, your peers are just as smart especially at a t14. There will be people there dumber than you that score better on tests as well because they work harder. You do understand that law school grades are competitive, right? At my school only >3% of any given class can get an A+ (98-100) and only 5-15% can even get above a 90. That includes the less than 3% with the A+.

If you have any doubt as to whether you can do it now, you don’t have the drive and dedication to do it.

Law school is not going to result in big money for you. You might end up comfortable, but your first post-school job is more likely to be paying 60k or less not $160k.

If your only way to make it post law school is biglaw, do not waste the next three years of your life because it isn’t likely to happen. The fact that you have this doubt and less than a week to decide is evidence enough. The T14 gunners are already ahead of you on everything to start the fall semester.

Lets say you do make it, though. Have you ever really worked 100+ hour workweeks? I have. Those may not be the norm, but expect to spend 60+ hours at work every week on average for the next decade plus of your life. Look at Yuns daily schedule again and then remember he’s been doing this for decades.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ignore Mr. Nice. Goo to law school and keep posting. You got any current or former spouses?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's honestly pretty funny knowing that the current crop of t14 grads all have worse lsats and gpas then ten years ago. Last I looked admission standards were way down since the smart kids were smart enough to realize how bad an idea it was to go

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Ignore Mr. Nice. Goo to law school and keep posting. You got any current or former spouses?

Yeah, this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GET MONEY posted:

cognitive immunity to stress works for me

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Law school is easy. All you need to do to land in the top 1% is spot all of the issues in this link.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nah go to law school get money. Do it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If ya'll are bored, click the "?" for GET MONEY and enjoy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, does this guy have an Alt account or something or did he really post exclusively in a Rap Music thread through August of 2016 before abandoning this site entirely, only to return in April of this year and start asking about law school?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I appreciate that a new sacrificial 0L appears as the last one finishes bleeding out.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

If ya'll are bored, click the "?" for GET MONEY and enjoy.

Oh Jesus. There's nothing that can be done.

GET MONEY posted:

I went to Iowa, which has vacillated from 20th to 27th in the past 5 years in the rankings. I had a full scholarship but still owe in excess of $40k just from living for 3 years.

I also quit my job to go back to school, not K-JD. However I was a travel agent and had no interest in "growing" in that industry, I wasn't quitting a good paying tech job that I was entrenched in and I had a full scholarship.

But that's all secondary. Here is the most damning thing you've said: "I'd need biglaw to both pay off the debt and stay in the country." That is all we need to know to tell you not to do it. Even at T14 you need to be at least in the top 15% to have an expectation (beyond a mere hope) of landing a biglaw gig. You can NOT plan on being the top of your class, no matter how smart you are. Speaking personally: I was 20th in my class, for 5 of my 6 semesters I was an A student. My 1L fall I was .1 in GPA above the median. My one "bad" semester was literally average, and it locked me out of OCIs and callbacks with "biglaw." Candidly, I wasn't that interested in biglaw, so I could have made a stronger push for those jobs, I can't speak for the people who really wanted it, but even 20th in my class I didn't have the grades for those jobs.

I won't lie to you, I'm really happy with my job, and for me things worked out. But I didn't NEED a specific job to be "make it work," and I wasn't really giving much up in opportunity cost (aside from the free trips I was taking). But I'm fairly unique among my friends, many of whom are already changing out of law. For the love of God, we aren't being contrarian to be contrarian, we are all smart people who get paid to give advice, don't go to law school.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What close to t14, best school in region with a large alumni network is he talking about you think?

Texas? Vanderbilt? UCLA? Ohio State?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What close to t14, best school in region with a large alumni network is he talking about you think?

Texas? Vanderbilt? UCLA? Ohio State?

It's gotta be Big10. Texas, Vanderbilt, or UCLA actually gives you a decent shot at biglaw close to the T14. My guess was Ohio State or Michigan State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

You do understand that law school grades are competitive, right? At my school only >3% of any given class can get an A+ (98-100) and only 5-15% can even get above a 90. That includes the less than 3% with the A+.

Of course, but it seems like a floor of A- or ~3.7 for biglaw consideration (with median being ~B+/3.3-3.7) and grading standards have that at ~30% of the class.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The T14 gunners are already ahead of you on everything to start the fall semester.

This is true, especially since I'd be in a whole new jurisdiction with zero familiarity. I'm not going for the money at all, but like I said it becomes a necessity should I take on the debt.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lets say you do make it, though. Have you ever really worked 100+ hour workweeks? I have. Those may not be the norm, but expect to spend 60+ hours at work every week on average for the next decade plus of your life. Look at Yuns daily schedule again and then remember he’s been doing this for decades.

I haven't per se, but I've been self-employed for a stretch, so I'm semi-used to not being able to sleep/putting out fires at any hour. If you love what you do you never have to work a day in your life, right? :jerkbag:

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nah

evilweasel posted:

cognitive immunity to stress works for me

I have this to the point people have questioned whether I'm actually human

blarzgh posted:

Also, does this guy have an Alt account or something or did he really post exclusively in a Rap Music thread through August of 2016 before abandoning this site entirely, only to return in April of this year and start asking about law school?

:coolfish: