Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

byob historian posted:

their rack format? you mean doepfers eurorack format? :thunk:

im sure you can plug it into a modular, looks like you can even clock it from one

plus it looks narrower than the minibrute 2, so it might would necessitate a new, smaller rack to mount on it or a bigger enclosure on their budget drum machine to mount it to the old one

Nah, I meant their case system that connected their eurorack offering with their minibrute/minibrute S. Would have been nice to have them link up into one unit. Not a deal maker or breaker for me either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ortazel posted:

Thanks for posting this- looks like an interesting idea, although I'm curious how much of that revenue gets back to the original artists or their families. What happens if you sample 3 category A songs, or 4 category B songs etc? It seems like there's no way to use this to make a sample heavy record in the vein of Endtroducing or Since I Left You.

I have no idea how much goes back to the original artists, but that is entirely dependent on who owns the rights and the deal the artist has with the owner (if they don't own the rights). I don't think Tracklib controls that at all. If you sample 3 Category A songs, then yah it would be like $7500 dollars just for that one song. But keep in mind that 99%+ of the tracks in their library are Category C, so only $50 to clear.

It would cost some money, but I think you could definitely do something like Endtroducing using all Category C tracks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

stillvisions posted:

Nah, I meant their case system that connected their eurorack offering with their minibrute/minibrute S. Would have been nice to have them link up into one unit. Not a deal maker or breaker for me either way.

I think the point of the rack system is more to facilitate the building of modular/semi modular systems around the new Minibrutes, rather than connecting all of your Arturia equipment into a giant unwieldy Erector set of gear. Also, IIRC it's designed for some degree of portability, which having a synth+drum machine+eurorack monstrosity would sort of defeat. Like, I get what you're going after but I also don't get why anybody would want to do that.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I have no idea how much goes back to the original artists, but that is entirely dependent on who owns the rights and the deal the artist has with the owner (if they don't own the rights). I don't think Tracklib controls that at all. If you sample 3 Category A songs, then yah it would be like $7500 dollars just for that one song. But keep in mind that 99%+ of the tracks in their library are Category C, so only $50 to clear.

It would cost some money, but I think you could definitely do something like Endtroducing using all Category C tracks.

Right, but what happens when the revenue sharing/royalties add up to more than 100%- e.g. making a song using at least 11 3-second samples from Category C?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just out of interest is there something like a maximum time (such as the aforementioned 3 seconds for example) where you wouldn't have to license a track? Or another example would be I was watching J Dilla use an sp303 and he sampled a bass stab, would that theoretically need to be licensed? How far do you have to mangle something before it no longer applies, if at all?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
actually knda hype about the new drumbrute

its got one voice dedicated to fm and it apparently does polyrhythms, so its seeming to me a worthy successor to the er-1

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVestscRk3A

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ortazel posted:

Right, but what happens when the revenue sharing/royalties add up to more than 100%- e.g. making a song using at least 11 3-second samples from Category C?

I don't know honestly. But I feel like the combinations of sample categories / lengths you would need to get over 100% royalties is pretty rare. I mean you could sample up to 60 seconds of three different Category B tracks and still wouldn't hit 100%. That's like a 3 minute song of JUST the samples so I feel like it would be rare to reach that point when they don't have many Category A/B tracks to begin with.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just out of interest is there something like a maximum time (such as the aforementioned 3 seconds for example) where you wouldn't have to license a track? Or another example would be I was watching J Dilla use an sp303 and he sampled a bass stab, would that theoretically need to be licensed? How far do you have to mangle something before it no longer applies, if at all?

This is somewhat of a gray area. What it comes down to is if someone recognizes the sample, no matter how short it is, they can come after you for not clearing it. But is it likely someone will recognize it? Depends on how big of an artist you are. The bigger the artist, the more scrutiny the samples will be under. You can also add effects to make it unrecognizable from the original, which would protect you. But even that is subjective because one person might recognize it still, while most can't. There isn't a hard rule on how much you have to manipulate something to no longer need to clear the sample, the key is if it is recognizable.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2018

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ortazel posted:

Do what Girl Talk does and no give a poo poo :shrug:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

From what I have read, his label maintains that the samples he uses are so short, and his compositions so unlike the original recordings, that they fall under "fair use". As far as I know, he hasn't been sued for his music and I read that the reason is because labels don't want to potentially lose a precedent-setting case.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah, pretty much. If you're doing super sample-heavy stuff, the costs of clearing samples can get ridiculous very quickly. Particularly if you're doing sample-heavy stuff that's not garnering much in sales; even a single $50 sample can eat up a significant chunk of the budget if you're releasing albums out of your own pocket for a small audience.

When I first started doing sample-based music, I was working for a small poetry and art magazine and by sheer coincidence ended up interviewing Negativland. I asked them what they would say to a struggling artist who was using a lot of samples in their music, and their answer was basically "when you're worth enough money for it to be worth their time to sue you, you have enough money to either settle or defend yourself, so just take whatever you want and let them come after you if they're going to". Words to live by, IMO.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

From what I have read, his label maintains that the samples he uses are so short, and his compositions so unlike the original recordings, that they fall under "fair use". As far as I know, he hasn't been sued for his music and I read that the reason is because labels don't want to potentially lose a precedent-setting case.

IIRC he also gives away the albums for free, which probably makes him harder to sue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok now I REALLY want to know how much The Residents had to pay to make Kaw Liga.

Billie Jean couldn't have been cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPsk1BsUCgw

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll look into those and see which one seems best for me.

MrSargent posted:

I’m looking to sell my TR-8 drum machine, let me know if you are interested! It’s in great condition with all upgrades.

I may get back to you when I have some money to spend!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Arturia: releases Drumbrute
Everyone: yeah, I've sold mine eventually, the sounds were unexceptional and didn't really particularly fit anything I'm doing

Arturia: releases Drumbrute, but smaller
Everyone: does anyone want to buy a liver? I need cash for a new drum machine, quick

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Laocius posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll look into those and see which one seems best for me.

I may get back to you when I have some money to spend!
For that matter, I'd be willing to let my Rhythm Wolf go for very significantly less than $300, but shipping from Europe is probably gonna push that out of the worthwhile zone, and you'd have to get a different power supply as well. It's not what you'd call a great or classic drum machine but it's got a certain lo-fi charm and it definitely teaches you to program one of these. Then again, so does a Volca Beats for what probably amounts to the same price, with less risk of shipping mistakes.

Look I'm not a great salesman, okay.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

MrSargent posted:

I recently discovered a new website that is attempting to revive sampling for this generation and wanted to share some of the details with you all, since it may encourage some of you to jump into sampling.

is this website trying to say that sampling is more rare these days, and that it’s because people are afraid to sample songs without clearance?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
c'mon arturia don't get my hopes up for polyrhythmic sequencing and then only implement polymetre :argh:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

sea of losers posted:

is this website trying to say that sampling is more rare these days, and that it’s because people are afraid to sample songs without clearance?

They are saying that is a part of it. And the process of clearing samples is so convoluted that it turns people off from wanting to pursue it. It's kinda weird how it works. If you are just starting out, no one is going to care that you are sampling unless it is just blatantly ripping big chunks of songs and then only if someone notices it. But as soon as you start making a little bit of money, people are going to start coming after you if you don't clear your samples. Now if you are a superstar, you have a team that can take care of all that poo poo for you, but it is a significant time investment for someone doing a lot of their own work/promotion. This site takes out all of the legwork of tracking down the rights owners, which I will tell you is not a straightforward process by any means.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

heaven help me i'm thinking about getting into eurorack. i'm done with normal hardware synths now, so i'm looking to take my 0-coast fun to the next level. there's a mountain to climb to figure out how to get started tho... i guess my behringer moog will be my first module, so that gets me a few places already. it's daunting tho

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
You can't ever catch the dragon man

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Did a simple video for sic records:
https://youtu.be/Nvq0KrjESEw

Simple patches on the Lzx vidiot and the 3trinsrgb+1c, with some premium cable magic sauce on top. Quite happy with it, but would’ve added more variation throughout if I had some more time...

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Startyde posted:

You can't ever catch the dragon man

im about to dive dick first into eurorack with the dfam as the jumping off point and a few things ive found useful is to research the gently caress out of everything you’re planning on doing, oscillators are fun but utility/mixers/vca’s are way more important, and unless you’re made of gently caress you money start small (2x84 or 2x104 is plenty, ive ordered the bastl matron case and am keeping the dfam outside the rack)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Buy used is the only rule in eurorack lol
The churn is like they baseball cards.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Plavski posted:

heaven help me i'm thinking about getting into eurorack. i'm done with normal hardware synths now, so i'm looking to take my 0-coasht fun to the next level. there's a mountain to climb to figure out how to get started tho... i guess my behringer moog will be my first module, so that gets me a few places already. it's daunting tho

here are my eurorack tips

- buy one module at a time
- don't cheap out on power
- don't shop for modules late at night
- don't get into eurorack if you're in the middle of a depressive episode :negative:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Startyde posted:

also diy projects

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gringostar posted:

also diy projects
not somebody elses, tho

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So I just cancelled my Neutron preorder, it was taking forever and last I heard updated ship date was November. I am still unhappy with the brain of my setup (Electribe 2) I don't think sweetwater will refund to my bank so my choices are pretty limited.

I am thinking of flipping my Electribe 2 and snagging a Digitone. Is anyone using one as the brain/main sequencer? How do you like the menu system?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Photex posted:

So I just cancelled my Neutron preorder, it was taking forever and last I heard updated ship date was November. I am still unhappy with the brain of my setup (Electribe 2) I don't think sweetwater will refund to my bank so my choices are pretty limited.

I am thinking of flipping my Electribe 2 and snagging a Digitone. Is anyone using one as the brain/main sequencer? How do you like the menu system?

To the best of my knowledge there's no song mode. My experience in hardware synths is limited, but the Monomachine is not only an amazing synth (in my opinion), but a reasonably powerful MIDI sequencer. I've seen a few of each pop up on the used sites, so feel free to experiment.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

WorldWarWonderful posted:

To the best of my knowledge there's no song mode. My experience in hardware synths is limited, but the Monomachine is not only an amazing synth (in my opinion), but a reasonably powerful MIDI sequencer. I've seen a few of each pop up on the used sites, so feel free to experiment.

if sweetwater refunds to my bank account I'll order a Deluge but if they don't I'm limited to what they have new on their site :(

I know I hosed up and pre-ordered and pre-paid but who knew they were going gently caress up the release harder than the D

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sweetwater is exceedingly generous ime on anything that isn't a special order (specialty mics are the only thing I run into).
Deluge looks like the kind of thing I would have absolutely swam in with an ESQ or JV 'in the days but dang if I need more bullshit.

RE: digitone, yeah no song mode. They gotta price tier somehow I guess. The thing it has on the old MnM is it's not the old sequencer- conditional trigs, per-track tempo/time sig, infinite length 'reset' for polyrhythm. Octa I think has had conditional trigs backported after the MkII dropped, the rest of the stuff was in there already iirc.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Startyde posted:

Sweetwater is exceedingly generous ime on anything that isn't a special order (specialty mics are the only thing I run into).
Deluge looks like the kind of thing I would have absolutely swam in with an ESQ or JV 'in the days but dang if I need more bullshit.

RE: digitone, yeah no song mode. They gotta price tier somehow I guess. The thing it has on the old MnM is it's not the old sequencer- conditional trigs, per-track tempo/time sig, infinite length 'reset' for polyrhythm. Octa I think has had conditional trigs backported after the MkII dropped, the rest of the stuff was in there already iirc.

are you saying sweetwater will order a deluge if I ask them? :o

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I'm looking for an audio interface for doing vcv rack to hardware patches. The ES-8 looks like it's perfect but it's sold out everywhere. Anyone have other recommendations? Was thinking of doing usbstreamer and the es3/6.

muon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 23, 2018

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I haven't had the chance to try it with VCV, but I got one of the Roland aira modulars to play nice with Audulus. Though I don't think that helps with the sold out bit.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

You get a lot of euro-regret out there, and people dropping their entire setup or some pie-in-the-sky config combo they thought was great. I'm on one local eurorack group and the group dinosaurs are all significantly downsizing their stuff. I think the initial wave has passed, and now the euro field is back to a more slow and steady growth state, but other peoples' regrets can be your gain.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

snorch posted:

In other Volca related news I've recorded a little walkthrough on how to make the fattest sound the keys can make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1AF3JYdZs0

Had some fun with this last night. Good poo poo.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

before i touch the poop over at reddit or embrace the nerd on muffwiggler, i wanted to see if you guys can either spot glaring mistakes or point out suggestions for my potential modular rig

i'm looking to do generative ambient and i have my deluge with its 2 cv and 4 gate to do any sequencing i need. i also have a 0-coast that i'll be adding to the mix.

will this fulfill my dreams of building a crazy krell patch that just plays itself beautifully for hours on end?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Plavski posted:

before i touch the poop over at reddit or embrace the nerd on muffwiggler, i wanted to see if you guys can either spot glaring mistakes or point out suggestions for my potential modular rig

i'm looking to do generative ambient and i have my deluge with its 2 cv and 4 gate to do any sequencing i need. i also have a 0-coast that i'll be adding to the mix.

will this fulfill my dreams of building a crazy krell patch that just plays itself beautifully for hours on end?

I would suggest dumping the uScale and get an Arpitecht instead. Its much more user friendly.

Ya'll need some filters and a clock divider.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

I would suggest dumping the uScale and get an Arpitecht instead. Its much more user friendly.

Ya'll need some filters and a clock divider.

i figured the clock division would be handled by pamela. thanks for the arp rec, i'll take a look.

updated:

Plavski fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Plavski posted:

i figured the clock division would be handled by pamela. thanks for the arp rec, i'll take a look.

updated:

while it's true that you can never have enough VCAs i think 6 might be overkill for a system of that size. i'd drop the doepfer one, personally. and i'd probably sub an ALM tangle quartet for the veils unless you're absolutely sure you need the continuously adjustable response (which, if you're using maths for envelopes, you don't); that gives you another 12hp to play with.

also, disting is a love it or hate it type of module, fwiw. if you don't gel with it it'll just sit in your rack taking up 4hp of dead space.