Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Trent Taylor juked a man so hard he was called for OPI, never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

I am looking forward to seeing how the 49ers and Jimmy G do after a entire offseason together. Things are looking up for San Fran. It might take a few years yet but if Jimmy pans out they should make a few SB runs in the near future.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
NFC best

I’m most excited about the mystery box that is Arizona

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

NFC best

I’m most excited about the mystery box that is Arizona

Yeah Arizona should be a fun team, maybe a bit like the Jets of last season in that I don't expect them to be good but I expect them to put up some hard fights and also beat some teams they aren't favored against.

Even though I'm not exactly a Cardinals fan I'm thinking of going to see a game there if I can find decent tickets for an okay price.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1019976964516478976

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Good for Kiara.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Saw a van that had a blank spot that was clearly a ripped off Seahawks sticker. Either the fan base is turning or that dude is mad about kneeling.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I bet Seattle fans are just as fickle as all the other west coast cities. The Seahawks start losing there's gonna be a lot less rah rah around

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Play posted:

I bet Seattle fans are just as fickle as all the other west coast cities. The Seahawks start losing there's gonna be a lot less rah rah around

It's probably the kneeling. Anyone who gives enough of a poo poo to care what happens in the offseason probably also cares enough to at least wait until they actually start losing before burning jerseys.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I am getting kinda antsy about Earl though. It's gonna be a hilarious season if they really do tear the Band-Aid off and get rid of him too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's probably the kneeling. Anyone who gives enough of a poo poo to care what happens in the offseason probably also cares enough to at least wait until they actually start losing before burning jerseys.

Yeah I agree in that case probably is. That or the dude just bought the van and wanted to clean the trash off it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It legit is the kneeling.

Seattle fans have been pretty great throughout some lean years, so it's not performance related.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I am getting kinda antsy about Earl though. It's gonna be a hilarious season if they really do tear the Band-Aid off and get rid of him too.

I just don't understand why they don't give him his $3M raise. He's earned it, it's fair, and it's a drop in the bucket.

Like, there's no way the team sees a net-improvement if they get rid of earl and use his current salary to sign somebody else.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm guessing their thoughts are that it's better and easier to just make a clean break, that they're not going to win anyways this season and he'd be leaving after it. I still think it's super dumb because he would make the team watchable and help them win more games.

Maybe they're tanking

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Play posted:

wanted to clean the trash off it

:drat:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Play posted:

I'm guessing their thoughts are that it's better and easier to just make a clean break, that they're not going to win anyways this season and he'd be leaving after it. I still think it's super dumb because he would make the team watchable and help them win more games.

Maybe they're tanking

lmao seattle is not tanking. They went 9-7 last year with a single TD from running backs and with spending half the season with some of their best defensive players on IR. As long as they have RWBS and Bobby Wagner they will probably hang around the 7-9 or 9-7 range, their natural home.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:hmmyes:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

EmbryoSteve posted:

lmao seattle is not tanking. They went 9-7 last year with a single TD from running backs and with spending half the season with some of their best defensive players on IR. As long as they have RWBS and Bobby Wagner they will probably hang around the 7-9 or 9-7 range, their natural home.

Good to see they’ve already lined up their replacement HC for when Carroll retires. Keeping it in division; much respect.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah tanking isn't the right word, what I mean is they recognize that this next season is unlikely to have a super bowl involved so they are eyeing the future more than pushing for excellence right now. Just a theory.

I was watching some Seahawks games the other day and it was so fun. You simply do not see defenses like that anymore these days. The Jaguars are the closest but they'll still give up plenty of yards. That defense was something else

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EmbryoSteve posted:

Counter point: Brian Schottenheimer

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Play posted:

Yeah tanking isn't the right word, what I mean is they recognize that this next season is unlikely to have a super bowl involved so they are eyeing the future more than pushing for excellence right now. Just a theory.

I was watching some Seahawks games the other day and it was so fun. You simply do not see defenses like that anymore these days. The Jaguars are the closest but they'll still give up plenty of yards. That defense was something else

Yeah the term for this is "rebuilding" and the reason to not keep a good older guy is to get a years work on developing a new young guy, it's not the money. I don't know if seattle really feels like it's a rebuilding year this year or not, though.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm gonna have to call my sports lawyer and have him read through all these takes about how the seahawks aren't tanking, didn't need those all pro bums, are going to be better next year, and are eyeing the future instead of excellence right now

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Come post in the tff chat thread, friend.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

God bless America and Jimmy GQ :patriot:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

hifi posted:

i'm gonna have to call my sports lawyer and have him read through all these takes about how the seahawks aren't tanking, didn't need those all pro bums, are going to be better next year, and are eyeing the future instead of excellence right now

Tanking implies trying to lose which is pretty absurd to say they are tanking in July

who is saying they are going to be better than last year? I expect them to be about the same with the ability to be both better or worse.

My expectations for the seahawks cannot be subverted with so many unknowns this is pretty much a new team as such my expectations span all possible outcomes simultaneously.

I will only be surprised if they go 0-16 or 16-0

At the end of the year I will be right no matter what happens (and I will ignore all my incorrect takes).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

hifi posted:

Sherman and Bennett both left, both are old, and both were no longer worth their contract. We don't even know if Sherman is healthy. Futher, DL and CB are the two places where Seattle has the most promising young depth. Clark and Griffin both look like young studs. Plus Seattle has 2 incredible DTs who have just got a couple seasons under their belt. Losing Kam is the biggest hit, because the SS's on the roster are more in the range of "average to above average".

Those 3 dudes were iconic Seahawks, but don't act like they're the same players they were 5 years ago and don't act like Seattle doesn't have good young talent behind them. The defense is not going to be the problem for the 2018 Seahawks.

If you want to trash on Seahawks optimism with actual facts... just type "Brian Schottenheimer"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I do not believe that Seattle’s young talent will live up to the dudes they are supposed to be replacing because that would be almost impossible.

Also I think the effects of having smart veteran players who hold the young guys accountable and teach them is being overlooked. And they hired Ken Norton Jr to coach those young guys.

The offense has some promise because they spent money on OL and Russell is a bullshit artist of high caliber, but well, Schotty.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

EmbryoSteve posted:

Tanking implies trying to lose which is pretty absurd to say they are tanking in July

I don’t think Seattle is tanking but you can definitely tank in July, eg the Colts choosing to start Curtis Painter and that roster the year before Luck came out in the draft. A real true tanking is a year long project.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I do not believe that Seattle’s young talent will live up to the dudes they are supposed to be replacing because that would be almost impossible.

Also I think the effects of having smart veteran players who hold the young guys accountable and teach them is being overlooked. And they hired Ken Norton Jr to coach those young guys.

The offense has some promise because they spent money on OL and Russell is a bullshit artist of high caliber, but well, Schotty.

I agree it's almost impossible for those young dudes to live up to Sherman and Bennett in their prime. Do I believe they can live up to those players as they are in 2018? Certainly.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The offense is weird. Wilson BS Magic means that JAG receivers can produce merely because more time per play favors the offense. But we'll see if any of the WRs or TEs develop into anything meaningful. New OL and New OL Coach have me optimistic to see some improvement.

I guess the biggest question mark is if Seattle RB's can escape the injury curse.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Counter point: Brian Schottenheimer

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://twitter.com/footwork_king1/status/1020300653082697729

:eek:

Feet like that earn you $36m/4y, apparently.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Seattle really had no choice this offseason, like some of you are getting at, when it came to dismantling the Legion of Boom.

Old guys, injured guys, guys no longer playing at the level they were. Trying to hold onto the past would've been worse for the football team. This had to happen and I'm sure the fans hope that lightning will strike twice in the form of young players turning into great ones. I know it won't ever be the same but it could still be good eventually.

I still think they'll be bad this season but I'm interested to see what happens. The coaching and the offensive line are the main things that make me think this

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Its worth revisiting his combine numbers just to remember how insane they were. 6th in the 40, 2nd in broad jump, 3rd in vertical, and 8th in bench. That’s total. Only 7 football players at the combine that year benched more than the 5’9” running back who also ran a 4.41 forty.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Its worth revisiting his combine numbers just to remember how insane they were. 6th in the 40, 2nd in broad jump, 3rd in vertical, and 8th in bench. That’s total. Only 7 football players at the combine that year benched more than the 5’9” running back who also ran a 4.41 forty.

Yeah that's really amazing and all, but I still don't understand why he was given so few carries (and didn't find a ton of success) in his first seasons in the league.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Play posted:

Yeah that's really amazing and all, but I still don't understand why he was given so few carries (and didn't find a ton of success) in his first seasons in the league.

As long as he can catch the ball better than the worst receiving back in the NFL (still :love: you, Hyde), I don't really carry about his number of carries.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I am completely unable to form an opinion on McKinnon. He's just a giant question mark.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I am completely unable to form an opinion on McKinnon. He's just a giant question mark.

The only thing I know for sure is his contract is way too big. If I had to guess I think he'll be good/okay but not great. He should run a lot like Hyde but hopefully catch the ball better

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Play posted:

The only thing I know for sure is his contract is way too big. If I had to guess I think he'll be good/okay but not great. He should run a lot like Hyde but hopefully catch the ball better

I agree that he may be overpaid. However, I will have faith that Shanny sees something in him that warrent's the contract. Plus its not like the Niners have very many high salary players at the moment. They can afford to splurge at this point. Even after signing McKinnon and Jimmy G they still will have more salary cap space than just about any team in the league heading into the 2019 season.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Play posted:

I'll give you a preemptive "none of this would have happened if it weren't for Trump's tariffs on nanobubbles."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

e.martin posted:

I agree that he may be overpaid. However, I will have faith that Shanny sees something in him that warrent's the contract. Plus its not like the Niners have very many high salary players at the moment. They can afford to splurge at this point. Even after signing McKinnon and Jimmy G they still will have more salary cap space than just about any team in the league heading into the 2019 season.

I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that he's overpaid and I'm a McKinnon fan/believer. But like you say in this situation they needed a piece like him and they have the cap so they were willing to pay above market value. They also front loaded the contract to take advantage of all that cap space. Sometimes it just works out that you overpaid and that's fine, I think he's gonna be good for the niners.

Nervous posted:

I'll give you a preemptive "none of this would have happened if it weren't for Trump's tariffs on nanobubbles."

lmao

• Locked thread