Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That is the most useless thing imaginable. Tampons don't leak when you swim, to start off with. That's one of the key selling points of tampons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlbieQuirky posted:

That is the most useless thing imaginable. Tampons don't leak when you swim, to start off with. That's one of the key selling points of tampons!

This seems to be a device for string management, not flow management. Which, uh, I've never noticed to be a huge problem? My guess is someone saw a headphone cable winder thing and had the bright idea to apply it to other string-like things in their life.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It feels like either a weird scam project or someone trying to cash in on shaming people for having a period at all. Probably the latter.

AlbieQuirky posted:

There’s also cups where there’s no string at all, but a small piece to grasp that’s mostly inside the body anyway, and some people trim that completely based on comfort level. This thing looks like hell to manipulate if you have any kind of fine motor control issues compared to just pulling a string or cup.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There’s also cups where there’s no string at all, but a small piece to grasp that’s mostly inside the body anyway, and some people trim that completely based on comfort level. This thing looks like hell to manipulate if you have any kind of fine motor control issues compared to just pulling a string or cup.

It gives you a little handle to hold so you can take your tampon out like you're trying to pull start a lawnmower. I mean I'm not saying it's a good feature but it's a feature.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mooncups already exist if you want to shove silicone up your vagina to keep from leaking/showing tampon strings at the pool. And if the string is the problem, just cut it off or something. Maybe I'm special, but I never had a problem getting something like that out with just reaching up in there. It's in a tube with an end that's like, 4 inches long, where is it going to go?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195895964/dr-horribles-evil-league-of-evil-the-board-game/posts/2239662

So some guy was Kickstarting a Dr Horrible boardgame and the campaign ended up being canceled. Because he somehow decided that he should totally crowdfund a board game that he didn't have the rights for.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195895964/dr-horribles-evil-league-of-evil-the-board-game/posts/2239662

So some guy was Kickstarting a Dr Horrible boardgame and the campaign ended up being canceled. Because he somehow decided that he should totally crowdfund a board game that he didn't have the rights for.

You don't understand; he *really* likes Dr. Horrible! And he "did everything short of skywriting to get the license holders' attention" so like, that's due diligence right there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's a lot of passion for a 40 minute comedy miniseries from a guy who cheated on his wife a whole loving lot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffleman_ posted:

The thing is, those success stories tend to be the exception rather than the rule. And even then, there's still a whole lot of risk involved. Like, the guys who made Cuphead would have literally been homeless had the game not been a success.

I remember, it was years ago so things are a little different now, but one of the guys at Epic Games was saying that most game studios, and I'm talking professional like AAA game studios not even indies, most of them would go completely bankrupt if they released one major bomb of a game. That's how much they were investing in every release. And he said it was significant that Epic Games had gotten to the point where it would take 2 bombs to ruin them financially.

You gotta imagine its even worse for indies. Even if you're a success, you could still barely make peanuts. And whether you're just a small success or a huge hit is possibly down to all kinds of whimsy of the market and whether or not some streamers decide your game is funny to play or something. :smith:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

This seems to be a device for string management, not flow management. Which, uh, I've never noticed to be a huge problem? My guess is someone saw a headphone cable winder thing and had the bright idea to apply it to other string-like things in their life.

It says something about leaking in the very confusing pitch. I was also :shrug: about the string management aspect!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlbieQuirky posted:

It says something about leaking in the very confusing pitch. I was also :shrug: about the string management aspect!

Yeah, that ks is hella dumb. They vaguely mention some potential problems, and then show pictures of the prototype, leaving it to the reader to try to figure out how the prototype addresses the problems. You can't be afraid of showing too much information when you are trying to sell a product. At the very least it needs diagrams showing what the dumb thing does and how it is used.

You wind the string around the knob and then what? Shove it right up there like a cup? Just nestle it in the labia? Press it against the outside and let your swimsuit+string hold it in place? :iiam: Nobody is going to buy a product they have no idea how to use.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

I hate how gendered that is. But considering it sounds like a cishet middle class white lady wrote it I'm not surprised.

What?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oaxisentertainment/oaxis-entertainment

Butch Hartman is crowdfunding a family-based streaming service. The only name attached is Butch himself, and he doesn't even have a project planned for it, but....

I feel like user uploads are going to be at odds with a streaming service explicitly focused on family programming.

The campaign is over and made its goal.

Also apparently it's supposed to be a Christian streaming service and he's been promoting it to the Pureflix crowd which is why he got his money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnA8K58gxyo
There are people angry about this, of course, since Butch never said anything about it in his campaign. He also blames depression and suicide on modern media, as well as paradoxically complaining about kids using their tablets and phones too much while promoting a competitor to Youtube and Netflix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More boardgame Kickstarter fuckery. This time a company that copied their miniatures, plagiarized their rules and as a kicker are based out of Pakistan, which is outside of approved Kickstarter countries.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember, it was years ago so things are a little different now, but one of the guys at Epic Games was saying that most game studios, and I'm talking professional like AAA game studios not even indies, most of them would go completely bankrupt if they released one major bomb of a game. That's how much they were investing in every release. And he said it was significant that Epic Games had gotten to the point where it would take 2 bombs to ruin them financially.

You gotta imagine its even worse for indies. Even if you're a success, you could still barely make peanuts. And whether you're just a small success or a huge hit is possibly down to all kinds of whimsy of the market and whether or not some streamers decide your game is funny to play or something. :smith:

Making AAA games is stupidly expensive. Like the costs today vs the 80s and 90s, even with inflation and such taken in to account, is staggering in difference. Some games have dev teams that are ridiculously enormous.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Evil Fluffy posted:

Making AAA games is stupidly expensive. Like the costs today vs the 80s and 90s, even with inflation and such taken in to account, is staggering in difference. Some games have dev teams that are ridiculously enormous.

This is frequently exaggerated though. You CAN spend hundreds of millions making a game, but you don't have to. And often publishers in dire financial straits decide to pull some dumb bet the farm gambles and it completely wrecks them because they just weren't suitable for it.

The companies who are spending a quarter billion dollars on a game are companies like Rockstar who are also big enough to handle the financial risks from their previous massively popular games, and also they get a billion bucks back within the first week.

But you also have to consider that if a company releases a really lovely flagship game, even if it didn't cost them that much to make, well, who's going to be rushing out to buy all their next games too? That's a major ongoing financial hit that can torpedo studios and games that otherwise could have worked out well for them, through no fault of those later games.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fishmech posted:

This is frequently exaggerated though. You CAN spend hundreds of millions making a game, but you don't have to. And often publishers in dire financial straits decide to pull some dumb bet the farm gambles and it completely wrecks them because they just weren't suitable for it.

The companies who are spending a quarter billion dollars on a game are companies like Rockstar who are also big enough to handle the financial risks from their previous massively popular games, and also they get a billion bucks back within the first week.

But you also have to consider that if a company releases a really lovely flagship game, even if it didn't cost them that much to make, well, who's going to be rushing out to buy all their next games too? That's a major ongoing financial hit that can torpedo studios and games that otherwise could have worked out well for them, through no fault of those later games.

It's like how everyone says Star Trek Beyond is the best of the three reboot Treks but few people saw it since Into Darkness was hated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

super sweet best pal posted:

It's like how everyone says Star Trek Beyond is the best of the three reboot Treks but few people saw it since Into Darkness was hated.

Move series performance seems to be directly tied to the quality of the last film. Release a stinker? sells well, because of the series. But then people remember, and don't see the next one.

Ideally we'd be able to pay more for a good movie than a bad movie, and that'd get studios to care more about quality, but that's tricky.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fishmech posted:

Isn't a shitload of that budget, up to half of it, often spent on marketing, too?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

More boardgame Kickstarter fuckery. This time a company that copied their miniatures, plagiarized their rules and as a kicker are based out of Pakistan, which is outside of approved Kickstarter countries.

Foxtales didn't just plagiarise their rules, they also plagiarised their company mission statement and lifted the shipping fee chart from another Kickstarter based in a different country to the one they'd claimed to be in. Thankfully Kickstarter shut them down with about four hours to go, so nobody lost money, but given the company the rules had been stolen from filed a DMCA takedown notice at least a week before they're looking a bit poo poo right now.

The best part is that they provided the rulebook at the request of backers, who obviously want to see rules. After posting the rip-off of the Massive Darkness rules and being caught, their response was "the final game will be completely different". Basically, it was a case of "you asked to see rules, we showed you rules, what more do you want?"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

Foxtales didn't just plagiarise their rules, they also plagiarised their company mission statement and lifted the shipping fee chart from another Kickstarter based in a different country to the one they'd claimed to be in. Thankfully Kickstarter shut them down with about four hours to go, so nobody lost money, but given the company the rules had been stolen from filed a DMCA takedown notice at least a week before they're looking a bit poo poo right now.

Lots of defenders of the project on BGG who still want this game to happen going as far as pulling the race card ("people don't like that they're from Pakistan").

Reminds me of the "HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition" Kickstarter. That got shut down by Kickstarter because Hasbro owns the trademark. So the creators moved to IndieGoGo and, somehow, managed to get it shut down there, a feat which I've not seen replicated for any large-scale crowdfunding project since.

So then they moved to some crowdfunding site in Spain (where, apparently, Hasbro technically doesn't own the trademark?), got funded a third time, and...

...more than four years later, still nothing. Someone recently visited the manufacturer and came back with this trainwreck of an image:

Apparently it's ready to ship! Except for the dice. And the translations. And the cards. And the miniatures. And the trademark issues outside of Spain! And no shipping date.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gschmidl posted:

Lots of defenders of the project on BGG who still want this game to happen going as far as pulling the race card ("people don't like that they're from Pakistan").

lol at a bunch of loving nerds defending an obvious scam.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Awful Kickstarters: lol at a bunch of loving nerds defending an obvious scam.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Araenna posted:

lol at a bunch of loving nerds defending an obvious scam.

Oh did Doobie make another kickstarter?

CuteStorm
Sep 22, 2010

Not everyone who menstruates is a woman, and not all women menstruate. This has that horrible "We women ALL suffer from the same problem" copy that is wrong and outdated. Plenty of women do not have periods, and it's exhausting to constantly see "all women have x in common".

You know what socks need? Snaps. Snaps in condom wrappers at a stupid markup: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sockenkuss/sockenkuss-just-attach-the-snaps-once-and-relax?ref=discovery

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
Origamei: the foldable dress for the minimal traveler

P sure most dresses are foldable, hth. And rolling instead of folding would take up less space if that's your main concern.

The designs are cute and the price is only slightly overblown for women's clothing, so I'm fine with it if you disregard the FOLDABLE DRESS!!!!! marketing bullshit.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

One of the product features is that it's UNDER ONE POUND, which, uh, I don't think is usually a problem with dresses.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

One of the product features is that it's UNDER ONE POUND, which, uh, I don't think is usually a problem with dresses.

they should really push the pockets as a selling point. Huge hidden pockets are way more desirable then folds into a carry-able package.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Seems like great mishap insurance since it is wrinkle free and small enough to fit into a desk drawer or large purse. Like you spill your wine at lunch and have a big meeting in an hour. Step into the rest room, moments later you come out wearing a clean dress. Make everyone think you're a wizard.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I will never know the joy of the Origamei dress, because it's only 36 inches long. That's not a dress on me, it's a long top.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Facebook Aunt posted:

Seems like great mishap insurance since it is wrinkle free and small enough to fit into a desk drawer or large purse. Like you spill your wine at lunch and have a big meeting in an hour. Step into the rest room, moments later you come out wearing a clean dress. Make everyone think you're a wizard.

I used to keep a spare dress shirt in my desk and later another in my car for exactly that reason.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
considering that accident level your avatar now causes me some anxiety.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sneakyfrog posted:

considering that accident level your avatar now causes me some anxiety.

Very rarely used, but often worried-about!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
men and ladies plan and gods laugh friend.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

Have you even seen the advancements they made with this thing:

That silhouette is refined as gently caress!

I am 95% certain that this thing (or equivalent) is in sale at my local hypermarket. Like those "miniature NES/SNES"-systems.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I do like the actual shape and design of the thing

Is the whole concept of it that’s bullshit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

I am 95% certain that this thing (or equivalent) is in sale at my local hypermarket. Like those "miniature NES/SNES"-systems.

They've been making various kinds of miniature Atari and Sega consoles with pre-loaded games for years before Nintendo finally got into the market.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

"When we started introducing the game to friends and family, I was shocked to find out so many people have never heard of one of my biggest passions. We would stop playing the game immediately and force them to watch the DVD. "

Seems fake, I refuse to believe this person has friends

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Der Kyhe posted:

I've seen them, I kinda want one, but for $60, meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The SNES Mini has the previously never officially released Star Fox 2, so that's something. (and for that matter, the first time the original Star Fox has been officially rereleased that I'm aware of, as well as the original Yoshi's Island, though that had a GBA remake iirc)