Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yes. If the dps pulls when the healer is in the boss cutscene because they're new to the dungeon

No one's talking about mid-cutscene pulling, dude, come on.

You've never had a tank who just dawdled between pulls for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

found the bad tank

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A friend of mine just finished Ultima Weapon tonight. Praetorium is so looooooong, you guys. :shepicide:

Also, he made a dark-skinned Monk catgirl whose Guardian deity is Rhalgr. I don't think he even intended for her to be Ala Mhigan, but that's about as Ala Mhigan as it gets.

The Ultima Weapon part of the Ultima fight is really good. Unfortunately, Garuda, Ifrit, and Titan are all really loving boring.

So is the 1:30 minute wait until you can do anything in the middle.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Regrettably I've stopped even putting goad on my bars because people actually use their tp so rarely in rando groups.

I guess once they give us 10 cross class actions I'll be able to reward the rare few good people with the power of more stabs.

I'd waste more TP if I got goad more often/at all. Since I dont, I dont Overpower quite as much since I dont want to just sit around between pulls.

Its a vicious cycle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will use goad a lot more in 4.4 when I no longer have to remember to change my role actions at the start of dungeons

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Next expansion they should just give us more passives for existing skills. DRG's Lance Mastery was a nice surprise.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going through the Crystal Braves part of the post ARR story on my alt dude

:hmmyes: Very sly, Yoshi P

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 20, 2018

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

my uncle at nintendo tells me if you stare at pulls they leave and then mew shows up and you can catch him hes level 100

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Remember when every tank would ready check and then 20-second countdown every dungeon boss

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when i started out as a marauder and found the little targeting number tags under the party menu i used them on every pull until a dps told me to cut it out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That used to be standard tank practice back in ARR. It's still technically optimal in dungeons where the dps don't have their aoes yet

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

Remember when every tank would ready check and then 20-second countdown every dungeon boss

What do you mean "remember when", I had a DRK do that on the Floor 10 boss of HOH on Wednesday.

I ignored it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leal posted:

Going through the Crystal Braves part of the post ARR story on my alt dude

:hmmyes: Very sly, Yoshi P

Honestly, this made me think Ilberd was the traitor from the outset and I was suspicious of him the whole story as a result. :v:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

When I heard that news, I immediately went through several phases of "Oh cool! Oh wait. ....oh poo poo." because of all the buttons that MCH has.

And they're all GOOD buttons, too, so now I gotta look for some new places to stash extra hotkeys. At least the other jobs there are at least one or two dogs.

Of course they're all good buttons.

They were already good buttons when they took them from MCH to form the Ranged DPS role actions. Even with their damage gone, they'll still be good actions when we can access them all again.

That said, I don't think shoving the arm back onto the stump stops the wound from bleeding, FFXIV dev team.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SwissArmyDruid posted:

When I heard that news, I immediately went through several phases of "Oh cool! Oh wait. ....oh poo poo." because of all the buttons that MCH has.

And they're all GOOD buttons, too, so now I gotta look for some new places to stash extra hotkeys. At least the other jobs there are at least one or two dogs.

Ah yes, now I don't have to decide between the wonderful actions of uh, a bind, a stun, a silence, and a heavy. Ranged DPS's role actions aren't going to look any different because there's already only 4 role actions actually worth using.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Less than the DPS who pulls ahead and doesn't get away with it. Including mid-cutscene pulling.

My tanks have been very good about not dawdling for the past couple months.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

What are the BLM actions right now anyway? I'm using diversion refresh surecast swiftcast and manashift.

Refresh just to drop aggro.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Karasu Tengu posted:

Ah yes, now I don't have to decide between the wonderful actions of uh, a bind, a stun, a silence, and a heavy. Ranged DPS's role actions aren't going to look any different because there's already only 4 role actions actually worth using.

Okay, fine, yes, the bind and heavy are the weakest of the lot, but still not like, oh, I don't know, Drain or Crutch.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I look forward to having erase on my rdm :confuoot:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

itskage posted:

What are the BLM actions right now anyway? I'm using diversion refresh surecast swiftcast and manashift.

Refresh just to drop aggro.

Same here, but now we get to actually use Addle and Apocatatisatitasisicasis, which is kinda neat.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I did the first dungeon from the level 15 story quest and tanking doesn't seem to so bad at low levels. Pull, overpower a few times, rotate around threat combos as needed if you see other enemy health bars dropping due to aoe damage. I'm assuming it gets more complicated, but is that basically the gist of it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

NeurosisHead posted:

I did the first dungeon from the level 15 story quest and tanking doesn't seem to so bad at low levels. Pull, overpower a few times, rotate around threat combos as needed if you see other enemy health bars dropping due to aoe damage. I'm assuming it gets more complicated, but is that basically the gist of it?

It never gets any more complicated, you just have more fun buttons to push.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Less than the DPS who pulls ahead and doesn't get away with it. Including mid-cutscene pulling.

My tanks have been very good about not dawdling for the past couple months.

:shrug: As someone who plays all 3 roles at times, I understand the DPS that want to have the next pull ready so they don't lose their cooldowns and try to tank accordingly.

Don't drag the dregs of a pack to the next one, but hustle! You're the tour guide, give 'em a show.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

You can also see if somebody is catching up to you in hate via the tiny bars under the class/job icons in the party list, and and use that to inform you when you need to throw in another Overpower or enmity combo. But otherwise yes, tanking trash pulls in this game works exactly as described aside from getting more buttons to push for damage or mitigation.

Boss pulls are slightly different but mostly involve getting an early hate lead with tank stance / enmity combos, then switching to dpsing once you are comfortably in the lead and using cooldowns to mitigate tank busters. Normally I'd recommend newbie tanks stay in their tank stance until they know what's what but if you figured out how this works in the first dungeon you're already ahead of the game compared to the average tank player :v:.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have not played PLD or WAR, but DRK's AOE makes for nice enmity generation on trash.

If I want to speed-level a job using DR, what's the order in which I should do stuff? My FC usually does Leveling -> Trial -> Alliance Raid. On nights that I have time I would also do MSQ, but too often and I'd probably burn out. Asking because I'm 56 on my DRK and want to get to 60 to finish the Job quest line.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Schneider Heim posted:

I have not played PLD or WAR, but DRK's AOE makes for nice enmity generation on trash.

If I want to speed-level a job using DR, what's the order in which I should do stuff? My FC usually does Leveling -> Trial -> Alliance Raid. On nights that I have time I would also do MSQ, but too often and I'd probably burn out. Asking because I'm 56 on my DRK and want to get to 60 to finish the Job quest line.

I always tend to do MSQ first because even if it's long it's got a pretty good XP chunk, and then do the order you posted. That's me, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NeurosisHead posted:

The higher your level goes the less you have to care about any of that tbh. Tanking is hardest in the middle of ARR leveling or so and is basically braindead in dungeons past level 50 unless your healer is complete trash

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ok I've been wondering this for awhile but is your avatar from something specific? The character looks familiar as hell but I can't figure out what it is :argh:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Xun posted:

Ok I've been wondering this for awhile but is your avatar from something specific? The character looks familiar as hell but I can't figure out what it is :argh:

it's monster prom

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Thundarr posted:

You can also see if somebody is catching up to you in hate via the tiny bars under the class/job icons in the party list, and and use that to inform you when you need to throw in another Overpower or enmity combo. But otherwise yes, tanking trash pulls in this game works exactly as described aside from getting more buttons to push for damage or mitigation.

Boss pulls are slightly different but mostly involve getting an early hate lead with tank stance / enmity combos, then switching to dpsing once you are comfortably in the lead and using cooldowns to mitigate tank busters. Normally I'd recommend newbie tanks stay in their tank stance until they know what's what but if you figured out how this works in the first dungeon you're already ahead of the game compared to the average tank player :v:.

I'm guessing stances come later, yeah? I've only got a mitigation cooldown and another that increases healing received right now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm guessing stances come later, yeah? I've only got a mitigation cooldown and another that increases healing received right now.

i think pretty much everyone gets their tank stance at either 30 or 40.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

you get your tank stance when you get your Job crystal basically

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Monathin posted:

I always tend to do MSQ first because even if it's long it's got a pretty good XP chunk, and then do the order you posted. That's me, though.

Hmm, sounds right. It's just that MSQ is a large time commitment and I usually play an hour a day.

Is it worth completing all guildleves?

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

You don't have to pull fast if you pull everything

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I feel like pulling threat in aoe situations is kinda hard to do, presuming everyone's using their GCDs. With the exception of PLD I suppose.
Like, both WAR and DRK's aoe rotations use enmity generating moves. Maybe WAR a little less than DRK at 70, but over power and abyssal drain are just really strong.
PLD is in a rougher boat because they should be spinning like a top after a couple flashes, but I feel like flash has an inordinately strong fake potency anyway. I admit I don't dungeon much on my PLD.

Unless the dps is single targeting, in which case they're the rear end in a top hat.
Or they're BLMs with saved fouls and flares, in which case they entered that pact of their own free will and should be willing to accept the consequences.

That said you don't have to mess too much with the tiny enmity bars if you're worried about losing threat on a mob. If they're getting targeted that hard, their hp should be dropping a lot faster than the rest. A shield lob/tomahawk/unmend should keep its attention until its dead or nearly so.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Paladin, Warrior, and Dark Knight all get their tank stance at level 30. When dealing with trash pulls, stay in tank stance, because either there's enough crap around you that you really want the mitigation, or the last few stragglers clinging to life are so close to dead that it's not worth the time to switch. If you're super pro or have good coordination or whatever, it can be worth it for a Warrior in the right circumstances, I think, but that's more effort than I'm willing to expend on trash pulls.

Paladin gets its DPS stance at level 35. Once you have a threat lead on the boss, you can switch over to this. I tend to do it after two aggro combos, which is probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Warrior doesn't get their DPS stance until 52, because gently caress you, that's why. It changes some of your skills, too, so that's something to keep an eye on. Note that you can turn it off, but then you lose your Beast Gauge, which you need to use Inner Beast and Steel Cyclone, so pick your poison, I guess.

Dark Knight gets their DPS stance at 30, but it is not mutually exclusive with the tank stance. Turn on Darkside and never shut it off. Grit can be toggled as the situation demands. Blood Weapon (faster attack, absorb MP/blood gauge per hit) only works if Grit is off, and Blood Price (restore MP/blood gauge when you get hit) only works if Grit is on. These skills don't share a button the way Inner Beast and Fell Cleave or Steel Cyclone and Decimate do for Warriors because gently caress you, that's why.

It is worth noting that Paladin stances take MP and a GCD to activate. Warriors can do it instantly, but switching stances has a ten second cooldown. Dark Knights can turn Grit off instantly and for free, but turning it on takes a GCD and chunk of MP.

Schneider Heim posted:

Is it worth completing all guildleves?

I think there's some kind of achievement for doing them all, but basically, no. The devs didn't even bother making battle leves for Stormblood, to give an idea.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remember the days when PLD unlocked its DPS stance first, and had to wait to unlock its tank stance? Good times.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
I just encountered the next level of honest healing. An ACN took over healing from me (as CNJ) because I was "a bad healer" i.e., letting the tank drop to <40% HP before healing.

Semi related, but man Conjurer has a bunch of awful loving spells.

Banjo Kaczynski fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 20, 2018

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pupuru posted:

I just encountered the next level of honest healing. An ACN took over healing from me (as CNJ) because I was "a bad healer" i.e., letting the tank drop to <40% HP before healing.

Semi related, but man Conjurer has a bunch of awful loving spells.

But dropping heals when a tank goes to 50-40% is what CJN/WHM does???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Maybe if you're playing conservatively. (or are doing tougher content and know when the damage is coming)

edit: I may have missed the sarcasm.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 20, 2018