Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Pierzak posted:

I haven't opened my copy yet, what misprint? I might want one.

Mine will be delivered Tuesday but I went ahead and had these printed up. There's one resource card with the wrong prohibited resources listed. Here is the bgg thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2021358/misprint-orchid-player-matresource-card

Jejoma fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jedit posted:

Just got a PNP copy of Hyperspace, Sandy Petersen's upcoming Eclipse-style game. I shall have to give it a shot.

wouldliketoknowmore.jpg

I'm interested in hearing about it and how it plays (don't see anything about it on the petersen games website so it's probably still a ways out)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
So up until this point I've been able to track down expansions for the Arkham Horror card game by just typing in the expansion name (e.g. Dim Carcosa) since they're usually unique. For the first time, with 'The Boundary Beyond' my results are mostly coming up as anime body pillows.

djfooboo posted:

Wow, guess I have to play it now, I had always ignored it as a CiTOW Clone with extra superfulous expansions.

Yeah, that had been kinda my assumption until I started properly researching it.

The main advantages it has for me over CitOW are:

- It actually scales with player count, and works absolutely fine at 3, 4 and 5 (that's the only player counts I've tried)
- There is less randomness. Battles are still determined by dice, but that's it. There are no event cards (old world cards), player card draws or anything else that could sometimes swing the game quite a bit in Chaos
- It feels very, very tight, all the way down to the fact that it is extremely component-light. Other than your over-the-top minis that I think give the wrong impression of what the game is about, you have a player board, 6 tokens that unlock new special abilities, and a couple of markers for tracking things and that's it. As a result, the factions seem incredibly well balanced, your decisions are mechanically simple but strategically deep, and the game plays very quickly.

The expansions are definitely extremely costly, but also add a lot to the game since each faction does play so differently. It really is the only downside - and it's a big one - to the game; it's super expensive, and not very portable.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So Cthulhu Wars, does anybody know if the Onslaught 3 printing is any different from Onslaught 2? I'm willing to wait for O3 to shop up online if so.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I believe the only difference is two minor errata on a couple of the spellbook tiles for the Cthulhu faction. It's super-minimal, but if that would bother you then wait for OS3 I guess.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anybody want Age of Towers plus expansion for $45 including US shipping? A $68 value. It’s a tower defense game which I really like, but unfortunately it’s a PvP/take that kind of game which is not for me.

Post or pm if interested.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackbone posted:

So Cthulhu Wars, does anybody know if the Onslaught 3 printing is any different from Onslaught 2? I'm willing to wait for O3 to shop up online if so.

Base game shouldn't be. I do know that one or two of the factions have had small revisions between first and second printing, but apart from that it's just a few changes to IGOOs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If anyone is desperate for any CW factions they usually have a big booth at Gencon and I could pick one up for you and have the on site fedex/ups ship it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I emailed Petersen games since the omega rule book is OOS and they said that they are taking all their stock to gen con but they should have a bunch of it on their site after.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

Yeah Yokohama has been a favorite with us as well. I got the original Japanese version and I'm waiting for the Meeplesource upgrade to come back in stock so it'll be a little nicer looking.

Try emailing them. I emailed them a week ago asking when those would be in stock, and they said they had some lying around that they would sell to me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hey now that it's been out for a while, how does the expanse board game hold up? i loving love the show and the mechanics look really neat but i heard some people grumbling about balance issues

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

If anyone is desperate for any CW factions they usually have a big booth at Gencon and I could pick one up for you and have the on site fedex/ups ship it.

If they have a copy of the Windwalker expansion, that would rule.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

If they have a copy of the Windwalker expansion, that would rule.

Will stake it out for ya and post here on the first morning if they do. Assume MSRP pricing for anything there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I emailed Petersen games since the omega rule book is OOS and they said that they are taking all their stock to gen con but they should have a bunch of it on their site after.

You should be able to get a PDF copy?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Any views on Snowdonia. Looks pretty boring in a good way to me :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

djfooboo posted:

Any views on Snowdonia. Looks pretty boring in a good way to me :3:

Ehhhhhhh.

I mean it's fine, and I know a lot of people like it, but having played it a few times, I don't really have any interest in playing it again.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is it uncool to a tell a friend that you really don’t care for the new, expensive board game he bought through kickstarter (full of unnecessarily big miniatures)? I really don’t want to play it again, but can imagine he might get upset. It’s not like he designed it himself, and I buy dumb poo poo myself from time to time. I’d rather he knew I dislike it, rather than having to to go through the dance of carefully suggesting other stuff whenever he brings it up.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

uncle blog posted:

Is it uncool to a tell a friend that you really don’t care for the new, expensive board game he bought through kickstarter (full of unnecessarily big miniatures)? I really don’t want to play it again, but can imagine he might get upset. It’s not like he designed it himself, and I buy dumb poo poo myself from time to time. I’d rather he knew I dislike it, rather than having to to go through the dance of carefully suggesting other stuff whenever he brings it up.

Life is too short to play games you don’t like. I’ve gotten very comfortable over the years declining plays of games I don’t want to play, even if it means I wait while others do. ‘That’s not my kind of game, you go ahead, though’ works really well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

uncle blog posted:

Unless it's Cthulhu Wars, no. But since it's probably Lords of Hellas, knock yourself out.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

uncle blog posted:

What's the game???

EDIT: If it's Lords of Hellas I am a bit disappointed. The bit I've heard about it is that it's... okay? My friend KS'd it and I was looking forward to trying it but he did the single-ship and is waiting on the expansions or whatever. Sounds like a mess regardless and he went back and paid extra for the base game to ship because he's sick of waiting.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 20, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Ehhhhhhh.

I mean it's fine, and I know a lot of people like it, but having played it a few times, I don't really have any interest in playing it again.

Same. I really hate the weather mechanic because you can end up in a situation where the game plays itself. I know a week of fog and rain is thematic but gently caress, I just want to dig and run trains.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

uncle blog posted:

I hate that situation. The last thing you want to do is poo poo on someone's purchase, especially if they're very excited about it. Telling them "I think you wasted your money" always feels like poo poo for both parties.

I guess just try to say that it's not really something you're into. Don't point out its flaws, just say that it's not really clicking with you or something.

Now if it's something that just doesn't look fun, well..maybe it's worth a single playthrough at least? I've had friends take a look at some thread favourites here and say they don't think they'd like it, then have a blast. I've known people to say Codenames looks boring, then want to play again and again after playing it.

Not saying that his game is going to be super fun, mind you. But personally it bugs me when someone dismisses a game based entirely off of their visual appraisal of it.

(there are exceptions)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Not saying that his game is going to be super fun, mind you. But personally it bugs me when someone dismisses a game based entirely off of their visual appraisal of it.

(there are exceptions)

Blog said he didn't want to play again. Suggests he's not dismissing it solely on appearance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tell them it sucks and why it sucks, then punch them.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Break off all contact and, preferably, relocate to the other side of the world.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Speaking of which, not really looking forward to more World of Smog or Big Trouble in Little China. Haven't done Big Trouble yet but World of Smog is at least an improvement on The Others ugh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AceRimmer posted:

Speaking of which, not really looking forward to more World of Smog or Big Trouble in Little China. Haven't done Big Trouble yet but World of Smog is at least an improvement on The Others ugh

I take it by World of Smog you mean Rise of Moloch. On Her Majesty's Service is a serviceable little race game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone in on the escape plan Kickstarter?

I’m not sure if I will or not, but I love the art design on this one. And it’s a “light” Vital game...

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
A friend brought a Print n' Play of SPQF (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312152563/spqf-deckbuilding-in-the-forests-of-antiquity?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=spqf) to game night yesterday. It's a mix of Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome.

And that's really all I have to say about it. It plays like a bare-bones mix of Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome. Owning both of those games means I have no interest in owning SPQF. If you own neither of those, it might be worth checking out. It's not bad, just simplistic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Will stake it out for ya and post here on the first morning if they do. Assume MSRP pricing for anything there.

Beggars can't be choosers, so I'll live.

If they have a copy of the Primeval Earth map, I'd love to snag that too.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m not sure if I will or not, but I love the art design on this one. And it’s a “light” Vital game...

I’m passing on this one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

A friend brought a Print n' Play of SPQF (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312152563/spqf-deckbuilding-in-the-forests-of-antiquity?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=spqf) to game night yesterday. It's a mix of Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome.

And that's really all I have to say about it. It plays like a bare-bones mix of Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome. Owning both of those games means I have no interest in owning SPQF. If you own neither of those, it might be worth checking out. It's not bad, just simplistic.

Art and design on this is so good. It's like Root meets Ortus Regni.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This is neat. GMT is doing a 4x Space game based on the Triumph & Tragedy system: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-717-expansion-or-extinction.aspx

I like block games quite a bit and T&T is one of the very best in the genre. I hope it works out.

Also from their newsletter:

quote:

Status of "New" 18xx Games. I've had several questions online about a "new" 18xx game that Andy had mentioned late last year. I wasn't sure on status, myself, so I reached out to Andy Lewis to check. Andy said that, unfortunately, the TWO new 18xx he was evaluating both got "just ok" feedback from his crack testers. So he is passing on them for now and still in search for the next awesome 18xx. Sorry to disappoint all you 18xx players, but when we do a new 18xx, we want it to be amazing. In the meantime, I hope you'll really enjoy the GMT version of 1862, coming in early-mid 2019.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 20, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

T-Bone posted:

This is neat. GMT is doing a 4x Space game based on the Triumph & Tragedy system: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-717-expansion-or-extinction.aspx

I like block games quite a bit and T&T is one of the very best in the genre. I hope it works out.

Also from their newsletter:

...looks questioningly at the SE4X spot on my wishlist :ninja:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

...looks questioningly at the SE4X spot on my wishlist :ninja:
I have both T&T an SE4x. Good enough to have both

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
While I really enjoy Mansions of Madness 2nd edition I just cannot believe how absolutely loving poo poo the model bases are. Why slot in the card so you can't see the artwork on it, why make it so it's almost impossible to put them on the bases?
They could have done it just like Descent and it would have been fine.

It's baffling!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Reminds me of Argent fist edition's lovely bases. In any amount of actual light it was nearly impossible to tell which mage belonged to whom. So many mistakes get made in my games because of it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Not me. After watching Paul Grogan's rule video, reading the rules, and talking with Vital over Messenger, there's just too much hidden information in the game for us. Not just the money, but the objectives as well. From what I can tell,you really won't know who is winning or losing during the game and that's not a situation I like. Not that we have to play beat up the leader but it's still nice to know what you should work on (other than MO POINTZ) to compete.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SettingSun posted:

Reminds me of Argent fist edition's lovely bases. In any amount of actual light it was nearly impossible to tell which mage belonged to whom. So many mistakes get made in my games because of it.

Those bugged me so much I made my own out of some stuff I picked up from a craft store:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ms. Meeple says that if your friend has an expensive game that you've already tried and didn't like, what to do is going to depend on the game and the friendship. If the game is short, then just play it. If the game is really long, bow out by saying that you don't really like that type of a game. If friend is dear though, you might have to play it again at least once. If you don't care about losing this person as a friend, then just say you're not interested.