Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People (regular users) shouldn't have to computer janitor at all, much less after-hours.

My wife finally got a laptop at work and went to use it for he first time and it spent half the morning doing Windows updates. She was pissed :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Getting a new laptop sucks because it usually won't have 1803 installed yet, so you have to wait forever for it to update the first time you reboot.

I avoid that and always make sure users get a fully updated laptop into their hands on their first day and explain to them how updates work and that big updates can take a long time so they should leave their poo poo on so it updates at 4am, but after that it's out of my hands. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

etalian posted:

It's pretty much across the board issue for multiple vendors.

Consumers naturally want more compact 15" laptops but the end of the day it's much harder to thermally manage both the GPU/CPU running at full blast.

For power consumption the 1050 Ti GPU alone can draw up to 75W of power and the CPU is around 45W max.

So it's no wonder why the Dell XPS 15 ships with a 130W power brick and the Surface Book 2 pro pulls so much peak power the 100W adapter can't keep up.

Good Link on the topic:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-It-s-time-we-talked-about-throttling-in-reviews.234232.0.html

It does seem like cramming an i9 into a 15-inch thin and light chassis is asking for trouble. I assume it throttles everywhere, but is it as bad in the XPS 15 as it is in the new MBP 15? Like to the point that you might as well get the i7 instead?

I did get the i7 in my XPS 15 anyway but even if the i9 performed the way it's intended to in such a small machine I still wouldn't need it at all for what I use the laptop for.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harrow posted:

It does seem like cramming an i9 into a 15-inch thin and light chassis is asking for trouble. I assume it throttles everywhere, but is it as bad in the XPS 15 as it is in the new MBP 15? Like to the point that you might as well get the i7 instead?

I did get the i7 in my XPS 15 anyway but even if the i9 performed the way it's intended to in such a small machine I still wouldn't need it at all for what I use the laptop for.

Well it is interesting since the i9 has the same 45W nominal TDP as the older i7 design but tests show the new Macbook Pro struggles even to maintain the normal clock speed under load.

Thermal design looks pretty bad given how even the nominal TDP makes it start throttle which means it can't even do the up-step higher TDP for the 4.8GHz turbo-burst scenario.

Metonymy
Aug 31, 2005
I'm looking at the new Dell XPS 15 9570 at around the $1500 price point. It looks like its about a three to four weeks wait from Dell- are there any retailers that stock them or systems that are comparable? I like the discrete graphics, low key design, usb-c charging and port selection.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DrDork posted:

In their semi-defense, some people have a ton of random stuff open, and get cranky when a forced-restart closes all of that (which they may or may not have saved, and which may or may not have been savable in the first place).

Yeah I have about 6 source code editor Windows and at least that many terminal windows open and a bunch of chrome Windows with multiple tabs each as part of my workflow, Mac OS is pretty good about restoring things but it's never exactly right, plus i have concerns about saving/not saving the right/wrong file on a project I'm working on. ITerm is pretty good at recovering but you still have to VPN in and re-establish connections etc etc

Also, only maybe 25% of the time do I open my work laptop while at home after work.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
What are good reasons not to get surface book 2?

I really want the option of doing anything, including medium gaming (meaning running something like overwatch on above-minimum settings) in a 2-in-1, and it seems to be the best option other than price.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

an skeleton posted:

Thermal throttling
Case is glued shut making it near impossible to repair

Otherwise it's a great disposable laptop if you're in to buying new hardware every 18 months

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I used a surface pro 3 since Oct 2014 for work, every day until Jan this year, when I droped it and broke the screen finally. I basically use it as a electronic clipboard and just draw on PDF's while I inspect houses. The rest of the time it's just a normal laptop for typing reports and such. Since Jan I've used the replacement surface pro 4 daily. They work fine. The glued together thing is something you have to be fine with I guess. It did make the "screen replacement" much more expensive I'm sure. (they charged me $599 and opened a refurb surface pro 4 box and gave me just the machine with no other peripherals)

I've also replaced a touch cover once, and bought a new pen once since 2014.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

an skeleton posted:

I really want the option of doing anything, including medium gaming (meaning running something like overwatch on above-minimum settings) in a 2-in-1, and it seems to be the best option other than price.

Well the price is probably the biggest downside, slightly bigger weigh/footprint due to traditional bezel design and as others have pointed out it's close to impossible to take apart for repairs/upgrades(1/10 Ifixit score lol).

Still one of the better premium 2-1 options if you can afford the price tag or find a good refurb special.

For gaming the 15" model has a much more powerful dedicated GPU while the 13.5" has lower performance.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

dissss posted:

I'm curious as to what you expect to tell about the quality of a trackpad by looking at it.
They just look like throwbacks to an era where trackpads were really awful, with really tiny touch surfaces and actual buttons. Some configs look like they stuck a fingerprint reader in the corner of the pad, which sounds incredibly annoying too.

It’s not like anyone can head down to a brick & mortar hp or dell store to try one of these out either, so that’s why i’m asking the internet first. If they’re significantly worse than a modern trackpad, like the one you’ve got, then it’s time for plan b.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

krysmopompas posted:

They just look like throwbacks to an era where trackpads were really awful, with really tiny touch surfaces and actual buttons. Some configs look like they stuck a fingerprint reader in the corner of the pad, which sounds incredibly annoying too.
Funny, I think trackpads are really awful now, with giant touch surfaces and no buttons.
The newish Macbook air has a trackpad almost the size of the keyboard, and it's horrible.
Not that there aren't awful trackpads with buttons too, but an awful trackpad with buttons is better than an awful trackpad without buttons, because at least the buttons will work right.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

krysmopompas posted:

Actual buttons are a good thing though - these systems are huge anyway so there is a good amount of palmrest space left for the trackpad surface even with proper buttons

This is the ZBook 15:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

etalian posted:

Well the price is probably the biggest downside, slightly bigger weigh/footprint due to traditional bezel design and as others have pointed out it's close to impossible to take apart for repairs/upgrades(1/10 Ifixit score lol).

Still one of the better premium 2-1 options if you can afford the price tag or find a good refurb special.

For gaming the 15" model has a much more powerful dedicated GPU while the 13.5" has lower performance.

drat I just noticed that GPU difference between the 13.5" and 15". I would've loved the smaller one but I guess I can pull the trigger on the bigger one if I have to. But for a 512 gb comes out to about $2600

Hadlock posted:

Thermal throttling
Case is glued shut making it near impossible to repair

Otherwise it's a great disposable laptop if you're in to buying new hardware every 18 months

Why do you think I would have to replace it in 18 months

I said it before and I'll say it again -- I wish I could get a thinkpad 2-in-1 of some sort with a slightly better GPU (doesn't even have to be as good as the 1060, just better than an integrated)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

an skeleton posted:

That's certainly been my experience with Surface models - they're beautiful but very fragile and Microsoft has never figured out a way to make a battery last properly.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

dissss posted:

That's certainly been my experience with Surface models - they're beautiful but very fragile and Microsoft has never figured out a way to make a battery last properly.

That sucks. I also looked it up and seems throttling during gaming is pretty bad, which means there's not much point in getting it over a less beefy gpu'd thinkpad yoga or something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

roomforthetuna posted:

Funny, I think trackpads are really awful now, with giant touch surfaces and no buttons.
The newish Macbook air has a trackpad almost the size of the keyboard, and it's horrible.
Not that there aren't awful trackpads with buttons too, but an awful trackpad with buttons is better than an awful trackpad without buttons, because at least the buttons will work right.

I'm still keeping my ancient 2013 Macbook Air since the glass trackpad is still one of the best out there and it's much more compact for the occasional travel.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I’m primarily a mac person, so anything that diverges too far from that is nearly unusable for me. If apple actually made a workstation-class anything these days, i’d just be sticking with them.

I have no idea how i missed the fact that even the zbooks have a stick too...ugh.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

I have no idea how i missed the fact that even the zbooks have a stick too...ugh.

Of course they do, why on earth would they get rid of that selling point? I know we wouldn't consider deploying anything that didn't have both pointing options (well at least not in the traditional laptop for factor)

Really it sounds like the best you're going to do is the Precision version of the XPS15 - it's in a more consumer orientated chassis which you will probably like if you like Apple gear. Probably going to run into similar throttling issues there though.

I'm not sure I really get your first complaint either - the current Apple gear is just as 'workstation class' as anything from previous generations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

an skeleton posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again -- I wish I could get a thinkpad 2-in-1 of some sort with a slightly better GPU (doesn't even have to be as good as the 1060, just better than an integrated)

It's not uncommon for laptops to need service within 18 months. The point is that you need to be aware that any Surface product will not be repairable by anyone. Not Microsoft for sure, and nearly no other repair shops will do it either. Your only option is a whole unit swap for a refurb, either for free if you're in warranty, or some significant portion of the cost of the laptop otherwise.

Now, to me, that's just mind-boggling. Tip of your headphone plug come off in the jack and get stuck? Whole unit swap. Some stray bit of metal floating around in your bag messed up the power port? Whole unit swap. Battery wear out? Whole unit swap. Fans dirty? Guess what!

If you can live with it, great. I have one of those atom Surface 3 things. It's handy, like an iPad that can actually do things. I paid like $250 for it a few years ago and it's trooping along. For that price point, I think it's somewhat reasonable (if lovely) to expect it not to be repairable. For a $3000 Surface Book 2 that you use every day as a workstation, you have to be loving insane.

Anyway, Lenovo doesn't make the machine you (and I) want. You should consider the 15" spectre x360 or the new XPS 15 2 in 1 with that spooky vega intel hybrid thing.

Or, Samsung is still selling the Notebook 9 Pro, the 15" 2 in 1 version with the pen. It's a kaby lake U series, so the cpu isn't the greatest but it's got a cut-down RX460 in there that actually gives it a good amount of oomph, a little better than an MX150. The pen is fantastic as well, being Wacom EMR. I had one for a while and loved literally everything about it except the pixel density. I just can't live with 1080p at 15", but if you're cool with that you should check it out.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

dissss posted:

I'm not sure I really get your first complaint either - the current Apple gear is just as 'workstation class' as anything from previous generations.
Did history forget the 17” pro already?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

Did history forget the 17” pro already?

You mean the one that had exactly the same guts as a 15" model of the same period? If that was 'workstation class' then the new ones are too.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you really want a Surface try a Dell Latitude 5285.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

dissss posted:

You mean the one that had exactly the same guts as a 15" model of the same period? If that was 'workstation class' then the new ones are too.
It can’t be “just as” anything from previous generations since they no longer offer the specific size I’m in the market for. I am not interested in anything smaller than 17”.

The razer pro is probably as good as I’ve seen for just the display & interface in that size, is there anything else worth checking out? I was hoping to get everything in one box, but rdp-ing to some sff box I lug around would work for the task at hand. It’s just more of a pain.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 21, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

krysmopompas posted:

I am not interested in anything smaller than 17”.

Why?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Nobody ships anything bigger. I’d take a 34” ultrawide if anyone made one, I have to look at a lot of data and code simultaneously alongside a running application and there’s no such thing as enough screen.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Truga posted:

For me? No. For them? Evidently, yes, since they've been having this issue explained to them for the last 9 years I've worked here and they still haven't figured it out.

in what world is no feedback better than feedback, why are you even arguing this?

My point is that the problem is far greater than a blinking activity light will solve; you have users wasting work hours waiting for updates to complete and then apparently having the urge to reset the drat thing mid-update, which has the potential to cause even more issues and waste further time.

This is one of those competency things that should be a requirement of employment. You're not going to employ someone who's, say, illiterate? Or constantly tardy? Or is stealing/embezzling from the company? Or who can't let their PC run overnight to update? The last one is literally the easiest one to do, too.

DrDork posted:

You clearly have never worked with corporate users. In the same vein, you'd think you'd be able to "train" them not to click on the "you've just won!" malware links--something painfully obvious and no more difficult than "leave your laptop on so it can update." You would be wrong.

In their semi-defense, some people have a ton of random stuff open, and get cranky when a forced-restart closes all of that (which they may or may not have saved, and which may or may not have been savable in the first place).

Oh I've worked with plenty of...naive users over the years; we have an ongoing battle to teach people not to click on phishing links, and there are fake phishing e-mails sent out to catch people and warn them. The thing is, leaving your computer on is not nearly as difficult as not getting fooled online; there's really no comparison there.

Also, while some employees certainly do have work laptops that they can bring home, most of the PCs are at our offices/hospitals and have their updates scheduled overnight, with specific instructions to leave them running. This is exactly what I'm advocating.

Bob Morales posted:

People (regular users) shouldn't have to computer janitor at all, much less after-hours.

My wife finally got a laptop at work and went to use it for he first time and it spent half the morning doing Windows updates. She was pissed :haw:

Leaving your PC on overnight to update isn't even janitoring though; it does pretty much everything except the after-update sign-on for you, and you can even configure it to do that if you want.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

krysmopompas posted:

Nobody ships anything bigger. I’d take a 34” ultrawide if anyone made one, I have to look at a lot of data and code simultaneously alongside a running application and there’s no such thing as enough screen.

Go away

Asus...? Makes a 15" 1080p USB-C external display, you could plug two of those in to your MacBook and get 3x 15"... I guess

I run a 13" MBP with one 27" 1440p and that works great for me

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Atomizer posted:

This is one of those competency things that should be a requirement of employment. You're not going to employ someone who's, say, illiterate? Or constantly tardy? Or is stealing/embezzling from the company? Or who can't let their PC run overnight to update? The last one is literally the easiest one to do, too.
Surely not stealing/embezzling is easier than letting a PC run overnight.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Have you considered the Acer Predator 21x? It has a 21” screen, 64GB of RAM, 2TB of storage and two GTX1080s running in SLI so it should be large enough and powerful enough.

It does cost $9000 and weigh 8.5kg but hey, we all make sacrifices right :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My five-year old Vaio looks like it's finally poo poo the bed - the screen becomes faded and corrupted after about fifteen minutes use, probably an issue with the panel or the GPU.

What's a better model of bare-bones laptop these days? I only need Internet and a word processor. Good-quality panel would be nice too, the Vaio spoiled me.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 21, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

krysmopompas posted:

It’s not like anyone can head down to a brick & mortar hp or dell store to try one of these out either, so that’s why i’m asking the internet first. If they’re significantly worse than a modern trackpad, like the one you’ve got, then it’s time for plan b.

depending on models, microsoft store could have your back tbh

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oxxidation posted:

My five-year old Vaio looks like it's finally poo poo the bed - the screen becomes faded and corrupted after about fifteen minutes use, probably an issue with the panel or the GPU.

What's a better model of bare-bones laptop these days? I only need Internet and a word processor. Good-quality panel would be nice too, the Vaio spoiled me.

You should consider a Chromebook. We have a thread for those.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

Surely not stealing/embezzling is easier than letting a PC run overnight.

Nah, the "just don't shut off your PC" is pretty much the easiest thing to do; it requires literally no action (by definition.) A lot of people by contrast probably "steal" a little bit here or there, by doing things like taking office supplies (not a huge deal, but still) or milking the clock or taking too many smoke breaks or wasting time at work; the latter is exactly what Truga's users are doing.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You should consider a Chromebook. We have a thread for those.

Good call, My Goone Sire!:tipshat:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Nah, the "just don't shut off your PC" is pretty much the easiest thing to do; it requires literally no action (by definition.) A lot of people by contrast probably "steal" a little bit here or there, by doing things like taking office supplies (not a huge deal, but still) or milking the clock or taking too many smoke breaks or wasting time at work; the latter is exactly what Truga's users are doing.
lol at calling smoke breaks "stealing/embezzling" so as to avoid the obvious fact that not stealing/embezzling is the thing that is really literally no action.
Whereas leaving your laptop PC (that you took home) on overnight most likely requires plugging it in (an action!) and uses your electricity that you have to pay for.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Depends on your budget but there are some good refurb deals online for dell latitudes since dell is constantly refreshing product line.

Latitude is basically the no frill business line.

What sort of budget do you have for your laptop replacement?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

lol at calling smoke breaks "stealing/embezzling" so as to avoid the obvious fact that not stealing/embezzling is the thing that is really literally no action.
Whereas leaving your laptop PC (that you took home) on overnight most likely requires plugging it in (an action!) and uses your electricity that you have to pay for.

I really don't want to belabor this subject but I'll clarify a couple things. This will also be laptop-related and relative to the thread, of course.

First, it is entirely possible to steal from your employer by claiming you're working when you're really not, on excessive breaks or otherwise; don't take my word for it, however, ask your HR department! ;)

Second, presumably if you're taking your laptop home you're going to be using it and thus it already would be plugged in, plus your off-peak electricity costs are going to be negligible. We can do the math if you'd like! ;)

There is honestly no reason to postpone your software updates for the middle of the workday. All of this discussion is totally avoidable.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Second, presumably if you're taking your laptop home you're going to be using it and thus it already would be plugged in,
That's a bad assumption. I take my work laptop home every day, and I use it at home about once a week. It's there in case I have to do some work, not because I plan to do some work. (I do laptop updates at work during work hours, because I also have a desktop machine at work that's what I'm using if I'm at my desk, so it's not disruptive to update the laptop.)

quote:

plus your off-peak electricity costs are going to be negligible. We can do the math if you'd like! ;)
Negligible isn't nothing, your second ridiculous claim was that updating laptops at night is "literally no action".

quote:

There is honestly no reason to postpone your software updates for the middle of the workday. All of this discussion is totally avoidable.
Yes, all this discussion could have been avoided by not making the ridiculous claim that doing laptop updates at night is literally the easiest thing in the list "doing laptop updates at night", "not embezzling/stealing", "not being illiterate" and "not being tardy". I'm not arguing for daytime software updates, I'm just calling out that claim as comically ridiculous.
Edit: it's actually the thing in that list where failing to do it has the fewest consequences for the person. Low cost, lower reward.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 21, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok my XPS 15 9570 finally shipped

Does anyone who currently owns a 9570 also own a VR headset?

I'm curious if I could get away with one of the $399 Occulus Rift with games set on low

Thinking: Beat Saber, Tilt Brush, Budget Cuts, Climbey, Job Simulator, Out of Ammo...lower end games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Laptops are annoying because it's not like a network of desktops that you can run updates on and such at night.

"Can you bring your laptop in so we can get some stuff done on it?"

I'M SO BUSY BLAH BLAH BLAH