Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fintilgin posted:

A cheesy sci fi movie pack is a great idea, and I'd like Paradox to do some more goofy fun stuff like that.

Sunset Invasion may have traumatized them too much though. :lol:

Stellaris 2.1: They tore away my ability to feel humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Paradox thread for people who are very concerned about the removal of tiles has hit 1000 posts.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The most concerning thing about tiles is how they made it to release.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

turn off the TV posted:

The Paradox thread for people who are very concerned about the removal of tiles has hit 1000 posts.

The paradox thread for the slight change of provinces in the Balkans has hit infinity posts.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

The most concerning thing about tiles is how they made it to release.

Even if they realised how clunky it was, some times you've just got to suck it up and release the game without having perfected every system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I haven't played victoria so I have no point of reference but the screenshots certainly make it look more interesting than tiles.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Chalks posted:

Even if they realised how clunky it was, some times you've just got to suck it up and release the game without having perfected every system.

I mean, it was a perfect tile system.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Terraforming is actually in a really weird spot right now. The first tech only lets you change the subtype in the same category. So continental can become jungle or ocean but that's not really useful at all since you can always colonize the planet anyway if you're already in that category. Even worse, when you finally get the tech to terraform a planet to another category, you then need a third tech in order to do it to planets you have already colonized.

Terraforming is just a very bad investment for research because better alternatives exist. It could probably do with a look over alongside this tile overhaul.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Like I haven't played victoria so I have no point of reference but the screenshots certainly make it look more interesting than tiles.

There's a guy who exclusively plays one planet empires and always has the planet view open who disagrees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

There's a guy who exclusively plays one planet empires and always has the planet view open who disagrees.

Wh.

What does he... do?

I play life seeded overwhelmingly and there is very little to do on one planet even with alphamod's buildings.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

Ha, I've only been reading the Wiz's teaser thread which has been entirely positive, was wondering where those people were.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I could see something interesting with tiles but it would involve making each planet more intricate so that your empire development on that planet corresponded to some fractally-generated geographical challenge and you had to address meso-scale issues like "do you want to push north towards the Power Ice deposits or keep expanding the farmland in the mid-tropics." There is fun to be had there but I don't think it needs to be in Stellaris.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Terraforming is actually in a really weird spot right now. The first tech only lets you change the subtype in the same category. So continental can become jungle or ocean but that's not really useful at all since you can always colonize the planet anyway if you're already in that category. Even worse, when you finally get the tech to terraform a planet to another category, you then need a third tech in order to do it to planets you have already colonized.

Terraforming is just a very bad investment for research because better alternatives exist. It could probably do with a look over alongside this tile overhaul.

First tier of terraforming is to clear all the blockers.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

hobbesmaster posted:

This. Weigh the cost and time of all the tile blockers, if you have the blocker tech, then if you need the planet now, or if years + energy is a fair trade. If you have gasses and liquids, the balance really shifts toward terraform. You can shift the planet back with another round of terraforming if it matters too much to you to not have off class planets colonized. You could if you want terraform off class worlds just to clear em, and drop droids on them.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 21, 2018

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So I am playing devouring swarm hivemind for the first time and got a few planets to munch on. Is the idea that you move all the food aliens off the planet you took and tuck them into your empire to be feasted on, and populate the new world with your own pops? Seems like that is the way to get around unrest penalties.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

quote:

Hello again,

I hate attracting attention to myself by bringing this tread back to the front page as I prefer to lurk but with more information I am even more frightened. I’ve seen the resent teasers and I like some aspects of the proposed changes as they allow for development of a planet beyond it’s « size » but for me the game is loosing it’s hart.

I play inward perfection empires and spend most of my game time in the planet view making sure that my planets are just so. I seldom go to war. For me Stellaris is a building game and this looks to me to be significantly less “fun” and immersive in the new approach. Mind you I have not played the new design so I may be reacting out of fear of change. Still, as I said in my previous post, I have played other games with designs similar to what I see in the ressent teasers and do not find them as engaging as Stellaris is now.

I would please ask the developers to think more about how to communicate the intimate link between pops and production and between the planetary environment, pop growth potential and available resources. In the current tile approche this is done very well. I very much hope further development will bring a compromise that makes planets have a sense of progress and development as they gradually populate and gives players the ability to graphically visualize this development. Lining pops up in a row and sorting them by job while separately lining up columns of buildings in blocks does not do this. Further the planetary environment appears to be represented by a completely separate box with blockers or something of that nature. How do these elements relate? What is the link between them? The trinity of pops/ production/ environment has become completely uncoupled and planets stop being unified environments on which beings live, they become spreadsheets. In what I see planets aren’t planets anymore, there’s no sense of growth or emersion in the planetary environment. I would say that the level of abstraction is now to high.

Thank you very much for any consideration of my feedback and for a fantastic game I’ve spent far far to much time playing :)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Games: Stellaris 2.2: but for me the game is loosing its hart

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

really queer Christmas posted:

Hart species pack when

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Vengarr posted:

Stellaris 2.1: They tore away my ability to feel humans

:blorgsay:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If they’re worried about losing tiles, they’re really going to hate the Vinge update when systems closer to the galactic core are slapped with huge research and FTL penalies while systems at the galaxy’s edge receive huge bonuses to same.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that it would be interesting if outposts and star ports begin being treated like scaled down habitats/planets with the new update.

I just want more pops to live in space :(

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

turn off the TV posted:

I think that it would be interesting if outposts and star ports begin being treated like scaled down habitats/planets with the new update.

I just want more pops to live in space :(

I don't know if you've messed with "the belt" mod but the colonizable asteroids scratched that itch for me. It really clutters up the galaxy map, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just stopping in to say that just based on screenshots, the new system looks a lot more like what I got hyped about pre-launch, before they revealed that "pops" were really just workers on tiles.

Definitely going to be giving Stellaris another try once it comes out.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Im insanely horny for victoria 3: scramble for the galaxy, possibly just because i no longer will have to look at victoria 2

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

hobbesmaster posted:

Time to clear tiles I'd rather spend on growing pops at the same time. There is a period of time where you might not have non-primary biomes colonized (waiting on tech/migrants/conquest) where you can fit it in, but colonizing earlier to start growing pops faster is better. Transforming to gaia is worth it because of the bonuses that gaia planets get, but even transforming to your primary biome only is useful for a small set of empire setups.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

really queer Christmas posted:

LOOSE THE HARTS! :fanaticmilitaristxenophile:

I really don't get how you can play stellaris currently just as a planet development sim. Like, especially vanilla, there is very little actual depth to it and very limited amounts of actual improvements you can put on your planets, and moreover they don't really consume anything except food and a bit of energy for buildings, all your consumption is space and combat based.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 22, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

turn off the TV posted:

I see by page... 2, that they're more discussing each other's failings and grammatical mistakes than the actual game or tiles.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

OwlFancier posted:

LOOSE THE HARTS! :fanaticmilitaristxenophile:

I really don't get how you can play stellaris currently just as a planet development sim. Like, especially vanilla, there is very little actual depth to it and very limited amounts of actual improvements you can put on your planets, and moreover they don't really consume anything except food and a bit of energy for buildings, all your consumption is space and combat based.

Your planets consume minerals as well via consumer goods, but this is mostly invisible to you as the tax to your mineral income is applied automatically and the only way you can influence it is by changing species rights. There's really no other way this is illustrated in the game. This looks to changing in the up coming update though.

Edit: also, what is that guy talking about? There are no cervine based mammalian species in the game is there?

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 22, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Pretty sure I know the answer already, but I'm going to know pretty much immediately if the Grey Tempest is about to gently caress me up, right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Pretty sure I know the answer already, but I'm going to know pretty much immediately if the Grey Tempest is about to gently caress me up, right?

How much fleet power do you have and how many L gates do you have in your empire?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Hunt11 posted:

How much fleet power do you have and how many L gates do you have in your empire?

Two gates, 40k fleet power in ships geared entirely toward fighting the Grey Tempest (two fleets of 90 size, each of which has 15 PD destroyers) centered around two starbases either in the system or on the only hyperlane path from the L-Gate and supported by 12 platforms with nothing but max tier Flak (so each fortress is another 10k fleet power).

The L-Cluster was empty. :(

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Two gates, 40k fleet power in ships geared entirely toward fighting the Grey Tempest (two fleets of 90 size, each of which has 15 PD destroyers) centered around two starbases either in the system or on the only hyperlane path from the L-Gate and supported by 12 platforms with nothing but max tier Flak (so each fortress is another 10k fleet power).

The L-Cluster was empty. :(

It could be worse. Now rush in and claim everything in the system and enjoy having a back door to various parts of the galaxy.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I thought an interesting boost to Xenophiles would be to have an automatic trade in consumer goods between neighboring empires, where 1 mineral is turned into 1 consumer good behind the scenes and Xenophiles received a bonus to the value of consumer goods received from other empires or something like that. Essentially, being friendly with your neighbors gives you a consumer goods cost requirement reduction and thus more minerals.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Already did. I had a way into the rest of the galaxy via reckless exploration of every wormhole I could reach on top of being Pacifist and well liked by the rest of the galaxy except like two assholes.

Curiously, no genocidal maniacs this game, so the galaxy is really crowded. I've got a lot of territory and only recently started colonizing planets after getting into repeating techs and 250+ research of all types. The year is 2330.

Maybe this game I'll actually A) make it to the crisis and B) do reasonably well against it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Eltoasto posted:

So I am playing devouring swarm hivemind for the first time and got a few planets to munch on. Is the idea that you move all the food aliens off the planet you took and tuck them into your empire to be feasted on, and populate the new world with your own pops? Seems like that is the way to get around unrest penalties.

Yes, and they're essentially free to move. I only realized this 95% of the way through my first playthrough as a Devouring Swarm.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kaal posted:

Yes, and they're essentially free to move. I only realized this 95% of the way through my first playthrough as a Devouring Swarm.

Haha yeah I tried it out earlier and worked great. And as I was finishing off the offending food source, I got a popup that the other empire next door just happens to be the most delicious in the galaxy :kheldragar:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nightgull posted:

I feel like the people talking about low hab are forgetting that it doesn’t affect happiness anymore. Or I’m mistake. Which is possible and likely.

Well it's just a balance. -10% habitability from non-adaptive you can work with - it's a constant penalty but gives you a lot of room to work with in terms of species traits. Starting out a planet with effectively -40% habitability is something else - your pops will be barely making back their investment for quite a while, and they'll be so unhappy that you'll have to deal with lots of faction issues unless you're a hive mind or a fanatic spiritualist. It's viable, but personally I'd prefer to invest my resources into something that has a quicker return, and then come back later when I'm better prepared for that planet class. This isn't to say that this is the only way to play successfully, and this is definitely an area where there's been a variety of changes over the patches, so it's worth trying out different ways of playing rather than assuming that all the mechanics perform the same way the first time you used them and writing off different techs - the devs seem to be doing a good job of trying to make most of the game options relevant.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kaal posted:

Well it's just a balance. -10% habitability from non-adaptive you can work with - it's a constant penalty but gives you a lot of room to work with in terms of species traits. Starting out a planet with effectively -40% habitability is something else - your pops will be barely making back their investment for quite a while, and they'll be so unhappy that you'll have to deal with lots of faction issues unless you're a hive mind or a fanatic spiritualist. It's viable, but personally I'd prefer to invest my resources into something that has a quicker return, and then come back later when I'm better prepared for that planet class.

Your pops will be barely making back their investment for a good while on any planet. It might take a decade longer on a 20% habitability planet, but as long as it’s making not an active drain on your resources that’s fine. There aren’t that many better investments to make, starbases and starholds I suppose, but the star fortress upgrade is expensive enough that I don’t think that has a better return.

The happiness is basically a non-issue unless you’re running impoverished living standards. Your pops won’t be unhappy at all if you run social welfare, or they join a 60% faction, or you have +10% happiness from any other source. Even if you don’t have any happiness sources, I think you’re vastly overstating how bad 30% happiness on a few pops is.

Also, non-spiritualists can just build robots on low-habitability planets with no issues. And spiritualists, like you noted, have ethics attraction bonuses to mitigate any faction issues.

e: Actually now that I think about it, I’m almost certain happiness only affects ethics for slaves. Slaves on 20% habitability planets can cause unrest issues, so you should try to have only a few slaves on them. Slaves can’t join factions, so them drifting to egalitarian shouldn’t be a big problem.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 22, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I got one of the new events that seemed based off of "Life" - we found an organism that could live in a toxic environment and it grew into a living creature.
As it had perfect adaptability it's now the biggest species in the galaxy.

I like the stories Stellaris makes, stuff like that is really interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007