Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hulu added The First 48. It's a terrible show that frequently leads to innocent people's lives being ruined but I can't stop watching.

I didn't know they made Reddit into a tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mammal Sauce posted:

Speaking of Dennis Quaid, has anyone else watched Fortitude on Prime? When I finished Tin Star, it popped up to play next and I just thought it was going to be a procedural in a remote town. It was a bit slow to start, but once it got going, season one was good. Then, there was a time jump between seasons which seemed odd when they had to go back and explain missing characters, etc. I thought the second season was a little weaker (maybe Dennis Quaid's fault?) , but still good overall and can't wait to see where they take season 3. I hope Sheriff Anderssen doesn't hurt Petra after the last episode.

fortitude turned to poo poo so drat fast. and it was so drat weird when they where trying to speak norwegian, i dont think that show had a single norwegian actor on it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

datajugend posted:

fortitude turned to poo poo so drat fast. and it was so drat weird when they where trying to speak norwegian, i dont think that show had a single norwegian actor on it.
I loved the first season, it set up questions, it answered them, it created mysteries and monsters that had answers grounded in reality. I have no idea about season two - I think I made it into the third episode, maybe? Just didn't have the energy to keep going.

I think there are some shows that are such incredible standalone shows, there's just no need for a second stab at it... Tin Star, Fortitude, True Crime. Like - drat - it was such a perfect little story with solid bookends. Why even bother with a whole new story that's kind of sort of related?

MAYBE it worked with AHS, sure. Can't think of many others.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
yeah i forgot to put in season 2 there. season 1 was interesting and just outlandish enough to keep me intrigued. but season 2 was just a massive fart.

one turns into a superhuman killer and one has a long scene graphic scene where he cuts his dick off and puts it on the counter, to stop the demon superhuman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Ben Foster's been memorable since Freaks and Geeks.

I also watched Patriot on recommendation of this thread and ended up liking it. I didn't think I was going to after the first episode, switching between different times is lazy storytelling and nationalism is annoying and shallow, but I still liked it. Sometimes it's a little ... I dunno the right word - zany?

Cool Rick is one of the greatest television characters in recent memory.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Enemy and Under the Skin are on Netflix now, and were two of the best movies of their respective years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nice. I hated Under the Skin when I first watched it, so I'll see if any of that will stick with me the second time. I found it just kinda pretentious, and it wasn't what I wanted overall. So the second obviously will go out the window and I can just kinda watch the film as it stands.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it's one of those movies i thought i didn't like after watching it the first time, but then i couldn't get it out of my head for weeks so it turns out it was a good movie for making me feel like that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The thing that made me immediately fall in love with Under the Skin was the way Glazer trusted the audience to follow the story with almost no dialogue. Johannsson's character develops and most definitely has a thought process, but you have to observe her and interpret it for yourself. Engaging with that and deciphering her behavior was a really satisfying experience. Then of course you throw in the excellent cinematography, Johannsson's performance, and a few all-time great body horror moments, and you've got one of the best sci-fi films of the 21st century so far.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Pandorum was a bad movie but I appreciate the one screen grab from it with Norman Reedus showing up near the end of every season of Walking Dead with clickbait TWD Spoiler! Headlines.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Echoing sentiments from earlier regarding GLOW - Season 2. It is better than the first season and episode 8 is a treasure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

The thing that made me immediately fall in love with Under the Skin was the way Glazer trusted the audience to follow the story with almost no dialogue. Johannsson's character develops and most definitely has a thought process, but you have to observe her and interpret it for yourself. Engaging with that and deciphering her behavior was a really satisfying experience. Then of course you throw in the excellent cinematography, Johannsson's performance, and a few all-time great body horror moments, and you've got one of the best sci-fi films of the 21st century so far.

It's a visual poem, it's so dense and good. I've watched it 6 or 7 times and it never feels slow or old.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

Enemy and Under the Skin are on Netflix now, and were two of the best movies of their respective years.

I just watched Enemy on your recommendation and it sucked. And I don't mind the end!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just watched Enemy on your recommendation and it sucked. And I don't mind the end!
more like, you suck

I found both Enemy and Under the Skin interesting enough to rewatch; Skin more-so. I’m probably missing some literary/cultural references that would make Enemy clearer (I only found out afterwards that the gangly spider on the poster is a real-life statue with a very relevant name) but I don’t think it’s that hard to figure out the general themes. Under the Skin tells you everything, it just does it by showing you instead of using words.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What didn't you like about it? I mean I'm down with people having different opinions but I think it's just a fantastic weird little movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I would have preferred either of the main characters to have a little more agency or motivation. I usually don't mind movies where almost nothing happens, but I minded this one. Also I'm an American but I have been to Toronto and I have seen that statue in Ottawa.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was way too high to dive into the killing of a sacred deer. It's been a while since I've seen something like that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I was way too high to dive into the killing of a sacred deer. It's been a while since I've seen something like that.

Hah, I initially mistook that for Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter and was very confused as to how you could be too high for a Danny McBride / Jody Hill flick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enos Cabell posted:

Hah, I initially mistook that for Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter and was very confused as to how you could be too high for a Danny McBride / Jody Hill flick.

Talking of which, I watched that and really enjoyed it. It was cool seeing McBride tone it down a little and Brolin was fantastic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a Jody Hill flick? Oh gently caress I'm watching it tonight.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It was very good, but it was probably their most down to earth film yet. Don't go in expecting the usual Hill/McBride zaniness.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I liked Enemy a lot and considered it an enjoyable Hitchcock style self contained film. Not super complicated but decently well done and enough of a hook to keep me interested and guessing.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

precision posted:

Talking of which, I watched that and really enjoyed it. It was cool seeing McBride tone it down a little and Brolin was fantastic.

Overall I liked it but it sure was a weird movie. The tone kept shifting in an instant. Having only 3 characters from almost start to finish, and no background or location other than “the woods” made it very play-like to me too.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 19, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It was very good, but it was probably their most down to earth film yet. Don't go in expecting the usual Hill/McBride zaniness.

I'm excited for Halloween because it's a Green/McBride joint. I love that whole team's ability to juggle drama, comedy, and sometimes actual horror without missing a beat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

Overall I liked it but it sure was a weird movie. The tone kept shifting in an instant. Having only 3 characters from almost start to finish, and no background or location other than “the woods” made it very play-like to me too.

Yeah agreed. The one "typical holy poo poo humor moment" they put in there near the end though, holy poo poo.

"Oh no these are recent. I took 'em myself! :haw: "

Parachute
May 18, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I'm excited for Halloween because it's a Green/McBride joint. I love that whole team's ability to juggle drama, comedy, and sometimes actual horror without missing a beat.

speaking of, i was expecting to just laugh at McBride during every one of his scenes in alien covenant but he did a pretty good job which jives with the "if you can do comedy, you can do any other kind of movie" school of thought

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gone Baby Gone (Netflix) holds up very well but Casey Affleck's accent is still as distracting as ever. And I used to live in Boston.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Lycus posted:

How's the Forest Whittaker post-apoc movie?

I just started watching and I just wanted to say, what kinda woman sends her fiancee off to meet her parents by himself to ask *her* hand on marriage? At least Skype in or something girl, sheesh

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Anyone seen that British horror Ghost Stories? I think it's finally been released to the internet recently.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It had a few decent scares and some decent imagery, but overall I don't think I can find british people scary.

You can't have some David Brent looking dude put on decaying flesh makeup and moon at the camera expecting people to actually think that's scary. People aren't scared by something moving in the darkness and then some geordie is all "Oi, 'oos that playin' about. Core blimey!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Monglo posted:

Anyone seen that British horror Ghost Stories? I think it's finally been released to the internet recently.

It whips rear end. Where's it streaming?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Mammal Sauce posted:

Speaking of Dennis Quaid, has anyone else watched Fortitude on Prime? When I finished Tin Star, it popped up to play next and I just thought it was going to be a procedural in a remote town. It was a bit slow to start, but once it got going, season one was good. Then, there was a time jump between seasons which seemed odd when they had to go back and explain missing characters, etc. I thought the second season was a little weaker (maybe Dennis Quaid's fault?) , but still good overall and can't wait to see where they take season 3. I hope Sheriff Anderssen doesn't hurt Petra after the last episode.

My wife and I liked it, but it's definitely a bizarre show. I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's taste, but I'm always down for a small town Twin Peaksy murder-mystery-plus-weird-poo poo kinda thing. Dan Anderssen owns bones

edit: I will agree with above posters that Season 1 is stronger, but I kind of appreciated that Season 2 wasn't just more of the same even if it was more uneven.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 20, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Monglo posted:

Where can I watch this?

E: Lol sorry someone already just asked this :downs:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I’m not sure if I should be embarrassed by this but I have spent many hours on planes this week watching Riverdale and am really enjoying it. I have never read the comic book but I was under the impression it was made for children so I was very surprised that within the first 15 minutes of episode 1 there was a murder and Archie loving his teacher.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Archie Fucks/Dark Archie is a rad show, no need to be ashamed of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tainen posted:

I’m not sure if I should be embarrassed by this but I have spent many hours on planes this week watching Riverdale and am really enjoying it. I have never read the comic book but I was under the impression it was made for children so I was very surprised that within the first 15 minutes of episode 1 there was a murder and Archie loving his teacher.

Riverdale slaps, it's so good.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm 17 minutes into The Greasy Strangler and... I... dang.

It's like Tim & Eric meets the gang that did Rubber. I can't stop laughing and cringing and also laughing. And recoiling.

edit: D-:

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 21, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm 17 minutes into The Greasy Strangler and... I... dang.

It's like Tim & Eric meets the gang that did Rubber. I can't stop laughing and cringing and also laughing. And recoiling.

edit: D-:

Bullshit artist!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Trying to find a good documentary, anyone have a recommendation for Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Affi posted:

Trying to find a good documentary, anyone have a recommendation for Netflix?

I really dug The Wrecking Crew, about the session musicians behind so many of the hits of the 50s-80s.