Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

He's a shill for Netflix and Microsoft, don't try to logic with him.

You're right, it doesn't have a single positive critic review:
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/marvels-iron-fist/critic-reviews

adhuin posted:

Check the user reviews. Clear majority of them were positive.

Aphrodite posted:

100% of user reviews on Metacritic are fake.

Oh, don't worry about Aphrodite, they're just afraid of the hivemind kicking them out. There's nothing you can say, no evidence you can bring forward, that will make them reconsider anything. Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Oh, don't worry about Aphrodite, they're just afraid of the hivemind kicking them out. There's nothing you can say, no evidence you can bring forward, that will make them reconsider anything. Namaste.

It's funny you mention "evidence you can bring forward", I clearly explained that what I said was not at all hyperbole because I meant exactly what I said, and specifically invited you to show me a positive critic review, which you ignored. If you were able to show me even a single one, then I would have been perfectly willing to admit that saying "universally reviled" by critics was slight hyperbole. Which is not a crime, by the way. It's just how people talk.

I also checked out your post history for a laugh and apparently "hyperbole" is your favorite word to say and also worse than murder in your particular moral code. And also a word you don't understand that well, judging from the innocuous opinion posts that you like to jump on.

Sorry buddy, Iron Fist wasn't very good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Halloween Jack posted:

A show about a kung fu master should have good fights.
Good fights cost money and I bet pretty good money that the problem with these Netflix shows in general is that they cut corners on a lot of things because they have the numbers that people will watch it regardless.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just link that tweet with that fight between a Meetchum bodyguard and Iron Fist in a small records room where it had like 56 takes

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phenotype posted:

It's funny you mention "evidence you can bring forward", I clearly explained that what I said was not at all hyperbole because I meant exactly what I said, and specifically invited you to show me a positive critic review, which you ignored. If you were able to show me even a single one, then I would have been perfectly willing to admit that saying "universally reviled" by critics was slight hyperbole. Which is not a crime, by the way. It's just how people talk.

I also checked out your post history for a laugh and apparently "hyperbole" is your favorite word to say and also worse than murder in your particular moral code. And also a word you don't understand that well, judging from the innocuous opinion posts that you like to jump on.

I usually just gloss over Capt Hyperbole’s posts since they have a typically low SNR.

But yeah, Iron Fist was terrible. I did like the Meechums, but even that was not enough to redeem the awfulness of any single episode.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fargin Icehole posted:

Just link that tweet with that fight between a Meetchum bodyguard and Iron Fist in a small records room where it had like 56 takes

Beyond the hilarious 56 cuts, that scene also summed up the problem that the whole show is focusing on a guy who's supposed to be the greatest martial artist there is, and rando security guy #4 just sneaks up on him and starts beating him up.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Good fights cost money and I bet pretty good money that the problem with these Netflix shows in general is that they cut corners on a lot of things because they have the numbers that people will watch it regardless.
Copious exterior shots cost money too though, and Iron Fist was full of them for no reason. Contacting Tsui Hark or Stephen Chow's people and saying "here's your budget and general story" would most likely lead to a fan favorite episode. poo poo, literally just flip through the rolodex and call the makers of literally any Marco Polo episode, they're already Netflix vetted.

The issue isn't money, it's fear of committing completely to a martial arts story, because they aren't as proven on spreadsheets as What If Angsty Superhero

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

I don't believe I ever said it was good, but surely there are a wide range of opinions to have about a thing. I'm not sure why some people are taking such exception to being called hyperbolic, but here we are I guess?

Professional critics are incredibly subjective. If that's the only input you'll take on that subject, then I suppose it's "universally reviled" by the "only people whose opinions matter?" Is that what you want? I'm far too lazy these days to google things so I can win an internet slap-fight for e-peen.

Finally: worse than murder? No need to be so, well...

:roflolmao:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The REAL issue is that Finn Jones couldn't really do fight scenes, and the choreography didn't help. The Colleen stuff was miles better even considering it's still bad overall. Maybe he'll do better in S2, with a better choreographer and more time to train.

Anyway, I finished Luke Cage S2 and...hey, it was good! S1 started well and then became probably the worst Marvel Netflix show at the time, so I was fearing the worst, but it worked out just fine. It does have the usual pacing issues but it also has way better narrative and dialogues.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't believe I ever said it was good, but surely there are a wide range of opinions to have about a thing. I'm not sure why some people are taking such exception to being called hyperbolic, but here we are I guess?

Professional critics are incredibly subjective. If that's the only input you'll take on that subject, then I suppose it's "universally reviled" by the "only people whose opinions matter?" Is that what you want? I'm far too lazy these days to google things so I can win an internet slap-fight for e-peen.

Finally: worse than murder? No need to be so, well...

:roflolmao:

You're getting way off track, you responded to my post about how I couldn't believe Iron Fist got a second season. My opinion on professional critics is neither here nor there - a complete lack of positive critic reviews is an understandable reason why a show might be cancelled.

And no one thinks your calling them hyperbolic means anything, but you bolded the line from my post "Season 1 was basically universally reviled, I can't think of a single positive review that I saw," as evidence of hyperbole, which strongly suggests that you don't even understand what the word means. Which I find kind of hilarious, given your post history. Maybe next time, before you post, you might consult the definition? And then realize that no one besides you cares if people exaggerate from time to time, and just not post at all?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hyperbole is the best rhetorical device in the English language and everyone should use it all the time.

As for Iron Fist, I made it two episodes in, and I will watch and enjoy any old piece of poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dias posted:

The REAL issue is that Finn Jones couldn't really do fight scenes, and the choreography didn't help. The Colleen stuff was miles better even considering it's still bad overall. Maybe he'll do better in S2, with a better choreographer and more time to train.

Anyway, I finished Luke Cage S2 and...hey, it was good! S1 started well and then became probably the worst Marvel Netflix show at the time, so I was fearing the worst, but it worked out just fine. It does have the usual pacing issues but it also has way better narrative and dialogues.

That was an issue, but it still would have been a bad show even with the best fight scenes on TV (see: Into the Badlands.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

Good fights cost money

No they don't, all you need is two people that know how to fight, a guy who can choreograph the fight (he can be one of the people fighting to save money) and a camera man.

It's not like Finn Jones being horrible at fighting was the only problem with the fights in season 1, the people in charge had no idea how to film or edit a fight scene.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dias posted:

Yeah. I think Jessica Henwick has had some prior stunt training at the very least, so she and a stunt person could fake it until they make it. Like if you'd given her, I dunno, Alias' stunt coordinator you could have had something really cool. Sadly Iron Fist's story lead decided we cared more about being a billionaire than magic kung fu.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Lurdiak posted:

No they don't, all you need is two people that know how to fight, a guy who can choreograph the fight (he can be one of the people fighting to save money) and a camera man.

It's not like Finn Jones being horrible at fighting was the only problem with the fights in season 1, the people in charge had no idea how to film or edit a fight scene.

Furthermore, Golden Harvest and the Shaw Brothers studios funded cheap films for decades because good fights do not in fact cost money.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Furthermore, Golden Harvest and the Shaw Brothers studios funded cheap films for decades because good fights do not in fact cost money.

They cost money, it's just that they didn't pay for super-expensive equipment and full modern staff/location, probably. Those super choreographed Jackie Chan fights take a fuckton of takes to get right, which kinda adds up when you're shooting in Hollywood instead of Hong Kong.

That's not to say you'd have to go that far and pay outta the rear end to make DECENT fights happen in a Netflix joint. I mean, Daredevil did it, Luke Cage and Punisher did it. As I said, it's just that Finn Jones didn't have the physical charisma and background to make it happen, and the choreography didn't help him at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Daredevil adds a ton of SFX stuff that you could strip out and still have a great fight scene, if budget was really a concern (it's not).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

both are solidly in the "white guy karate" genre, what's the issue

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dress however you wanna dress, who gives a poo poo. gently caress these racist assholes who make articles about "culture appropriation", It's a goddamn melting pot. Just don't wear blackface, now that's the career killer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I will give the Iron Fist s2 a chance. Perhaps they have improved just like Luke Cage season 2 spoilers for that show by the way and will bring the Danny Rand of Luke Cage s2 to the second season of Iron Fist. Or maybe it'll just make improvements like Agents of Shield. Either way, I will give it a few episodes and hope it's better than it used to be.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wait, so IF2 is coming out before DDs3? gently caress that poo poo.

Iron Fist was terrible in Defenders and IFs1. the actor is just too god damned...I dunno...goofy to take seriously as a superhero. Defenders tried to lean it into a little bit and make it part of the character but that doesn't help when the character loving sucks.

At least slap the loving mask on him so I don't need to see his goofball face and we can get a stuntman in there for fights. Except Finn not only can't fight but I don't think he can really act either. These Netflix shows tend to live or die with the quality of the performances so I I'm not sure even fixing the fights will help all that much.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cosplay? At ComicCon?!?!?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait, so IF2 is coming out before DDs3? gently caress that poo poo.

The order of the next few is IFS2 -> DDS3 -> PS2

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is Sascha Baron Cohen the Purple Man?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The order of the next few is IFS2 -> DDS3 -> PS2

When's Gamecube.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lycus posted:

Is Sascha Baron Cohen the Purple Man?

No, Cohen only gets people to do what they already really badly wanted to do

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nearly finished the second season of Luke Cage and I can't decide whether the gender reversed Macbeth stuff with Mariah and Shades is OTT or on point.

Shades has an entire blood on his hands scene, complete with Mariah telling him to suck is up and get over it.

I'm interested to see how much of her arc maps onto Macbeth, actually. Could Cornell match King Duncan? Hmm.

Edit: Oh look! Ghosts! This rules.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 24, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Serf posted:

just make the fight scenes better. teach this dude how to throw a punch without looking like a dumbass, please. that's all i want

Should've cast a stunt guy. Make him an inhuman murder golem* to cover for the acting.

* Like these guys except Danny's rocking the wire fu (if you're squeemish stop at 2:40):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE1M3mS77W4

Edit: That's from Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. At this point, they're so engineered that they behave like an ant colony.

Edit 2: Also, I straight up want Kun Lun to kill Danny.

They entrusted him with a key security asset. They're hosed without it. They can't recover it without killing him.

Danny knew the score going in. He knew the score when he got bored and wandered off.

Danny deserves to die.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 26, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Accretionist posted:

Should've cast a stunt guy. Make him an inhuman murder golem* to cover for the acting.

* Like these guys except Danny's rocking the wire fu (if you're squeemish stop at 2:40):

Edit: That's from Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. At this point, they're so engineered that they behave like an ant colony.

They entrusted him with a key security asset. They're hosed without it. They can't recover it without killing him.

Danny knew the score going in. He knew the score when he got bored and wandered off.

Danny deserves to die.

I still don't think his friend from Kun Lun was a bad guy for that reason.

e: also holy poo poo that fight scene is pretty drat good

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Accretionist posted:

Danny deserves to die.

That movie, and the one before it, were better than they had any right to be considering the series they came from.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The shoulder charge makes contact around 00:27 and the fight has its finale impact at 02:49. While I just counted out loud while watching, I came in at 100 edits for a fight that lasts 142-160 seconds.

The worst part is that the main actor seems able to do a series of strikes in sequence, meaning they made it jumpy on purpose :wtc:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
that's fine though because none of the cuts are jarring and you can tell what is happening very clearly

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Yeah, a big difference between that clip and Iron Fist is you actually see the impact of blows. One long take would have been cooler but at least it was coherent and brutal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Counting "cuts" is very dumb, because even Hong Kong kung-fu flicks do a LOT of cuts for emphasis or reframing. It's all about making the scene readable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dias posted:

Counting "cuts" is very dumb, because even Hong Kong kung-fu flicks do a LOT of cuts for emphasis or reframing. It's all about making the scene readable.
HK Kung Fu typically have long continuous wide shot steady cam sequences, that move to quick cuts to emphasize and imply power. Hollywood quick cuts and swoopy cam are used to disguise terrible choreography and unskilled fighters that need tricky angles for every strike to make it look real.

I'll see if I can find it, but Jackie Chan had a really good breakdown for the two different styles of filming in some interview.

Fake edit: NVM. Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

It's more about filming Jackie Chan style action, but I think it does a pretty good job at laying out why American films just aren't as impressive (usually because of time and budget on the little fiddly bits of the action)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

homullus posted:

Cosplay? At ComicCon?!?!?

There's a growing portion of the internet that wakes up every day thinking "What can I find to be offended by today?" Some days it's really easy, because there is actually a lot of pretty racist stuff around. Sometimes it's a slow news day and they just really embarrass themselves like this. You can't win em all I guess.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Because you have a single, tiresome gimmick. Gimmick isn't even really the right word, but it's just all you do. Remember when that guy quoted you like 20 times calling people hyperbolic in this thread a few months ago? Do you think maybe, just maybe that has something to do with why people are sick of it?

Consider doing something else for a change. Shutting the gently caress up is in vogue, try that one.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I think the worst thing Iron Fist did was make that dude's account balance a plot point.

It's absolutely hilarious as just characterization. He's in the middle of a swamp. It's midnight. His luxury car has a corpse in the trunk. He's about to ruin his expensive clothes dumping the body. My god, how has his life come to this? How could this possibly be worth it???

*looks at account balance*

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 27, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Because you have a single, tiresome gimmick. Gimmick isn't even really the right word, but it's just all you do. Remember when that guy quoted you like 20 times calling people hyperbolic in this thread a few months ago? Do you think maybe, just maybe that has something to do with why people are sick of it?

Consider doing something else for a change. Shutting the gently caress up is in vogue, try that one.

drat, man.

Anyhow. Can't wait for Daredevil S3 and still want Netflix to tackle Moon Knight. Luke Cage S2 is good so far. gently caress Iron Fist. That's about it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

HK Kung Fu typically have long continuous wide shot steady cam sequences, that move to quick cuts to emphasize and imply power. Hollywood quick cuts and swoopy cam are used to disguise terrible choreography and unskilled fighters that need tricky angles for every strike to make it look real.

I'll see if I can find it, but Jackie Chan had a really good breakdown for the two different styles of filming in some interview.

Fake edit: NVM. Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

It's more about filming Jackie Chan style action, but I think it does a pretty good job at laying out why American films just aren't as impressive (usually because of time and budget on the little fiddly bits of the action)

...sooooo...counting cuts is still very dumb.