Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thomas always has a bad day. They'll keep Froome up there and actively try and drop Dumoulin just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's pretty much what Wiggins said. Sky know exactly how froome will perform in week 3, G is more of an unknown and banking everything on him would be silly

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Right now G certainly passes the eye test better than Froome or Dumoulin and he has 1:39 on Froome, 1:50 on Dumoulin. Normally I’d say G cracks in th Pyrenees, but I think he has the legs to take it all the way to Paris. If Sky orders him to sit up for a Froome, that would be idiotic and play right into Dumoulin’s hand.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Andy Dufresne posted:

Do you really think that I said they're more committed or are you trying to build a straw man?

They are committed to one goal at the expense of all other goals. There are other teams with riders at a level similar to Froome or G who don't focus singularly on winning the TDF for that rider.

And their 4th through 8th riders are much lower quality than Sky.

oh for gently caress's sake. how is that not the same thing. whatever. I'm done. I hate them and it's fine

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

I used to think Sagan could probably take a try at riding for the GC if he gave microscopically more of a gently caress.

He would need to lose around 15 lbs of mostly muscle and he wouldn't be the same rider.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Watched the David Millar fillum this evening, it's good, really interesting

Gets a bit dark at the end but it does a good job of showing how hard a profession it is

Lots of quality swears in it too

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Withnail posted:

He would need to lose around 15 lbs of mostly muscle and he wouldn't be the same rider.

More like 25lbs and he’d need to completely reconfigure his muscle distribution. Those calves he has for when he’s really mashing out a sprint? Useless. Moreso, does anyone really know if he has the genetic gifts of an aerobic base to pull off 30m-1hr hour efforts at the required w/kg? Sagan does pretty poorly in ITTs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He'd also have to lose the urges to chase people or attack on a whim, and people would never, ever let him get anywhere close to breakaways. He'd be bored as gently caress.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Smirr posted:

Check out my Sagan-themed breakcore soundsystem, The Central Massive

The Bob Jungelist Massiv

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He's going to psyops, lads
https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tour-de-france/dumoulin-predicts-thomas-and-froome-could-turn-on-each-other_472888

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Van Aert has joined LottoNL Jumbo. I guess they'll still let him ride cyclocross and target the classics?

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

More like 25lbs and he’d need to completely reconfigure his muscle distribution. Those calves he has for when he’s really mashing out a sprint? Useless. Moreso, does anyone really know if he has the genetic gifts of an aerobic base to pull off 30m-1hr hour efforts at the required w/kg? Sagan does pretty poorly in ITTs.

Sagan has a couple TT wins including that final 2015 Tour of California stage for the overall win. It's maybe one of his weaker areas but I think it's a stretch to say he's poor at them.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Anachronist posted:

Sagan has a couple TT wins including that final 2015 Tour of California stage for the overall win. It's maybe one of his weaker areas but I think it's a stretch to say he's poor at them.

That ToC ITT was 12.5 minutes long.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Skarsnik posted:

Watched the David Millar fillum this evening, it's good, really interesting

Gets a bit dark at the end but it does a good job of showing how hard a profession it is

Lots of quality swears in it too

gently caress this looks really interesting. Too bad its not playing anywhere near me ever

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

clean ayers act posted:

gently caress this looks really interesting. Too bad its not playing anywhere near me ever

I rented it off Google play movies for a few quid

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Skarsnik posted:

I rented it off Google play movies for a few quid

Yeah, for whatever reason doesn't seem to be rentable in the U.S off google play

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The helicopter cameras are having a lovely time with the Viaduc de Millau today

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Lol. Odds on Demare making the time cut? He’s French, so I assume the commissaires will somehow not notice him getting into a team car.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How did he get dropped?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
*to the tune of Toto's Hold the Line*

DUMOULIN

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think this stage is done for most people now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/1020596651390627840

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tut tut, illegal feeding?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

clean ayers act posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason doesn't seem to be rentable in the U.S off google play

Oh that's a shame

You'd have thought I'd be able to find a cinema showing it in Cardiff but no such luck

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jesus Christ is Sagan really leading in the green jersey by 300 points now?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, only 267.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just that most of the people who would be competing for the Sagan points have died. He would probably only be ~150 up if they were still in the race.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's 282 now. So if he wins the stage he could hit a 300 lead.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How many of those points he would trade away to not have been pissed on by an Aussie domestique

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He could see where he was going, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yikes, that was close

e: getting tired of only having gaps to the MJ now, it's been like this the last couple of days and its so irrelevant once it gets past 8 or 9 minutes

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 22, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Greipel has left Lotto as of today.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Reads to me as "as of the end of the season"

quote:

“Lotto Soudal and Andre Greipel want to inform you that after eight successful years, their collaboration comes to an end.”

With this brief message on social media and on the team's website, Lotto Soudal announced it is not re-signing the German for 2019. The terse statement was issued early during stage 15 of the Tour de France to Carcassonne.

Greipel’s contract ends this season and the negotiations for 2019 were rocky. The team had announced its interest in signing Caleb Ewan from Mitchelton-Scott, which would relegate Greipel to the role of second sprinter or even the Australian's lead out man.

Greipel’s long-time teammate and best friend Marcel Sieberg is said to have signed with Bahrain-Merida, and there is speculation that Greipel might move there as well. Bahrain-Merida recently nissed out on signing Classics talent Wout van Aert, who has agreed terms with LottoNL-Jumbo for 2020.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greipel-lotto-soudal-part-ways-after-eight-seasons-of-success/

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Sagan looks pissed, what a dick.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1021099144667107328?s=19

Lol

https://twitter.com/toutlesport/status/1021097869292470272?s=19

Smirr fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 22, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now they're going to make him ride the vuelta

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
if you're gonna get kicked out for punching someone at least actually hit them.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Moscon was the skybot what did a racism at the FDJ rider, wasn't he? What a fud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Not necessarily TdF related per se, but Team Dimension Data and BMC are partnering for the next three years (http://africasteam.com/2018/07/23/bmc-switzerland-partners-with-team-dimension-data/). This would seem to imply that Dimension Data will be riding BMC bikes, but I don't know what, if anything, this means for the BMC racing team. It seems like maybe they will merge? Or cease to exist?