Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but like, how is it interesting at the table? Is there a non-awkward point at which 'hey, yeah, my character's only pretending to be straight' comes up and is a point of dramatic tension?

I mean, I never really got on with White Wolf's Nature and Demeanor system and this seems like a more longwinded version of that so...beats me. You just seemed to be assuming that the other players would only know the "Surface", which I would hope wouldn't be how people choose to play this. If for some reason they chose to play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

malkav11 posted:

I mean, I never really got on with White Wolf's Nature and Demeanor system and this seems like a more longwinded version of that so...beats me. You just seemed to be assuming that the other players would only know the "Surface", which I would hope wouldn't be how people choose to play this. If for some reason they chose to play this.

That appears to be the author's intention, from the description. I might be reading it more black and white than intended, but I definitely agree that it sounds like a longwinded Nature and Demeanor system.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I mean since you're building a revolution, it might be cool if they were mechanical hooks for forging relationships to build your glorious people's army, but I guess that's not what they're doing and, uh, "'Looks' hetero/is gay" is some pretty weak tea.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's pretty fraught territory to make "visibly a trans lesbian" etc. a standard physical descriptor for your make believe game too

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's pretty fraught territory to make "visibly a trans lesbian" etc. a standard physical descriptor for your make believe game too

Yeah, that's kinda skeevy as hell. 'My character is trans, but they don't pass' isn't something I'd ever expect or want to hear at a table.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe it could work if it was like the Humanity system in Vampire. Like, your character starts out gay but they can become more gay, and the gayer they get the more powerful they are but the harder it is to hide their gayness.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe it could work if it was like the Humanity system in Vampire. Like, your character starts out gay but they can become more gay, and the gayer they get the more powerful they are but the harder it is to hide their gayness.

Can I play as gay JoJo pillar men/vampire that gets more oiled up the more I power up?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That’s a street fighter character. You need the license.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chill la Chill posted:

Can I play as gay JoJo pillar men/vampire that gets more oiled up the more I power up?

A JoJo character who strikes increasingly dramatic poses as they grow more powerful, until it becomes difficult to do basic tasks

"good news, your attacks do an extra D6 of damage! But you suffer a penalty in the movement phase because now you can only walk like this"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Animal Adventures: Tales of Dungeons and Doggies

They look well sculpted, and they are keeping the campaign super simple so that they won't gently caress it up. I'd consider it, but I will never play with the minis and I have enough of a backlog of stuff I will play with that I can't reasonably back this. I may do rewardless pledge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russrmc/animal-adventures-tales-of-dungeons-and-doggies

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope that's successful, and they do a second series of sci-fi dogs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope that's successful, and they do a second series of sci-fi dogs

In the Grimbark world of the 41st millennium....

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Guy Goodbody posted:

A JoJo character who strikes increasingly dramatic poses as they grow more powerful, until it becomes difficult to do basic tasks

"good news, your attacks do an extra D6 of damage! But you suffer a penalty in the movement phase because now you can only walk like this"

P-powerful! :stoked:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Is this game non-contemporary or is that a guy who appears to be in his 30’s when he’s actual 60?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Is this game non-contemporary or is that a guy who appears to be in his 30’s when he’s actual 60?

It's set in the 1980's.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

What happens then, do the Antedildovians rise up and consume everyone with the power of ten thousand years?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jedit posted:

What happens then, do the Antedildovians rise up and consume everyone with the power of ten thousand years?

The pride parade to end all pride parades.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ah, I see you've played All Outta Bubblegum.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, that was remarkable. I got an email this morning offering a full refund on Sigmata.

I took it, and have to say I appreciate it as a classy gesture by the author when encountering a backer who is critical even at this late date.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Can I just say that I have never been less interested in a board game Kickstarter than I am for the Trogdor one? I feel like this is a game I'm going to have to dodge at get-togethers for the rest of time, like I do with Cards Against Humanity and Munchkin. I am not super enthused for a half hour of mediocre gameplay while everybody tries to outdo each other with the same four dated Homestar Runner references.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rydiafan posted:

Can I just say that I have never been less interested in a board game Kickstarter than I am for the Trogdor one? I feel like this is a game I'm going to have to dodge at get-togethers for the rest of time, like I do with Cards Against Humanity and Munchkin. I am not super enthused for a half hour of mediocre gameplay while everybody tries to outdo each other with the same four dated Homestar Runner references.

That's when you beat them at their own game with The Devil's Level

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

rydiafan posted:

The thing about CAH and Munchkin is that they're both extremely lovely games, and even if you, say, divorced Munchkin from its lovely artwork and stale geek humor and rebranded it as a game about growing crops in medieval Europe it would still be an extremely lovely game. James Ernest has an actual shot at making this a good game, regardless of its theme.

(also Homestar Runner is actually funnier than anything found in either CAH or Munchkin, even accepting that quoting references is a poor substitute for actual humor)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

The thing about CAH and Munchkin is that they're both extremely lovely games, and even if you, say, divorced Munchkin from its lovely artwork and stale geek humor and rebranded it as a game about growing crops in medieval Europe it would still be an extremely lovely game. James Ernest has an actual shot at making this a good game, regardless of its theme.

I still remember the first and only time I sat down to play Munchkin and realized after a short while that it was actually 'kill the guy with the ball' which you can only play for so long and I've never seen the value in repeat performances. I do have hopes for Ernest, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys wanna see the worst dice in the world?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/msgames/tera-dice-traditional-japanese-architectural-desig?ref=category_popular&ref=discovery

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Good loving gravy.

quote:

The second layer, the D6 layer. The numbers are represented by a specially designed Kanji like symbol.

No, see, it would be stupid to put real kanji on there, nobody can read that. Instead we'll do made-up poo poo that you can look up on the handy translation sheet.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
why do people keep making poo poo dice

why do people keep buying poo poo dice

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

This would be inifinitely improved by just putting real numbers on it. Or pips.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

or real kanji instead of terrible bootleg versions, as mentioned

I look at that kickstarter and all I can hear is my Japanese professor making the "buu-buu" gameshow-buzzer noise she'd make when we said something wrong, forever

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

MollyMetroid posted:

why do people keep making poo poo dice

why do people keep buying poo poo dice

Put Japan / Anime, Zombies, Firefly, or Cthulhu on a literal dog turd and there will still be hordes of gamers who will eat it up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I like nothing about these dice. Not a single thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Myrmidongs posted:

Put Japan / Anime, Zombies, Firefly, or Cthulhu on a literal dog turd and there will still be hordes of gamers who will eat it up.

WTB: Firefly Dog Turd Dice.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dwarf74 posted:

I like nothing about these dice. Not a single thing.

I kinda dig the temple thing. I think novelty architectural dice could be a pretty neat gimmick :shobon: (not like, neat enough to actually buy for $30 though)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrandpaPants posted:

I kinda dig the temple thing. I think novelty architectural dice could be a pretty neat gimmick :shobon: (not like, neat enough to actually buy for $30 though)

Yeah, if they had actual kanji, or even those archaic kanji not even most Japanese people know, then I'm the kind of stupid nerd who might be interested.

Thank god they did it the worst way possible

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, if they had actual kanji, or even those archaic kanji not even most Japanese people know, then I'm the kind of stupid nerd who might be interested.

Thank god they did it the worst way possible

I lived in Taiwan for the better part of a decade, and their version of tallies was building up a 5 stroke character line by line. 正 i think it is. 5 strokes, so you'd do the top across, then the one going down, then the bottom line, then the middle horizontal slash then the left upwards slash. So, the idea exists, but this is just poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ravendas posted:

I lived in Taiwan for the better part of a decade, and their version of tallies was building up a 5 stroke character line by line. 正 i think it is. 5 strokes, so you'd do the top across, then the one going down, then the bottom line, then the middle horizontal slash then the left upwards slash. So, the idea exists, but this is just poo poo.

I think that's one of many Japanese things that Taiwan adopted, which just makes that even funnier.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrandpaPants posted:

I think that's one of many Japanese things that Taiwan adopted, which just makes that even funnier.

Taiwan imported a lot of stuff from foreign countries like Japan, Korea, even China

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

Just walking around periodically announcing to nobody in particular "boy I sure do love being heterosexual" in case my body language accidentally gives away the fact that I'm gay.

Can't help but think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuASKA1yxp8

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I have no real sense of style, but Jesus, I still hate these inherently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tim Fowers' new game, Sabotage launches Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/tfowers/status/1020717251392024577

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lynx Winters posted:

No, see, it would be stupid to put real kanji on there, nobody can read that. Instead we'll do made-up poo poo that you can look up on the handy translation sheet.

Count the number of enclosed spaces on each face.

Finally, dice so bad even I won’t buy them.