Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

Or put put otherwise, about 25% of the ships are 'done' by current standards - with no reason to believe that these standards won't change the next time Chris Roberts sees a cool movie.

Pretty neat statistic for a ~200 billion dollar company that produces practically nothing except from 3D assets :thumbsup:

Also provides a good look at Ponzi schemes in action. "Yes I know we built only 1 out of the 4 ships you paid me, after exceeding the development timeline 300%, but you know what just gimme more money and I'll throw in another ship!"

I was mulling the whole action figure market this morning. How a particular character would have a special gun, vehicle, wardrobe, etc. Here the character is the ship, and the ‘role’ grows up around it. I mean they appear to have more of a plan, but i’m seeing them repeating mistakes already made, and part of that is going to be gating this poo poo behind hundreds of dollars.

It’s pay to play, let alone ‘win’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Deep-diving isn't my usual mode, but you can't help noticing that the really verbose guys are usually the ones who have this kind of bias bordering on a pathology. They embark on long screeds that talk down to you because maybe you can't quite see the magic. It's there, somewhere.

Mate, I think you're giving undue credit to their intellect. When a person has to preface an argument with "insert my credentials here", they have lost their argument straight up.
A persons point of view should stand on its merit/s alone.

It always makes me laugh when someone says, 'But I'm a "insert profession here" ', as if there's never been anybody that is lovely at that profession, lol.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Trilobite posted:

Ooh, if you're going to do another video and really dig into what ships are "in the game," you should include a special category for the ships that are flyable but are missing core mechanics to fill their appointed "role." Like that Reclaimer salvaging ship that has all the grindy things and sparks but no actual salvaging mechanics or systems in place to do anything.

I like that idea as a distinct information layer. “Asset in game, Mechanic TBD.” Source pic is telling for what it leaves out — the layers that represent future work / technical debt.

AbstractNapper posted:

It looks ok. If I may, I'd suggest losing the explosion effect and replacing it with a "blow white powder" effect that removes the non-implemented ships like someone blowing cocaine on a coffee table.

Yeah, the boom was just a leftover from Pay to Live, not planned for whatever this becomes.

An infographic in motion approach — something straight forward, like the 3.0 Infographic but animated — feels promising. Dense with missing info and serious / brief, so it can be digested fast. I picture something neutral in tone, built for easy sharing in online posts. It could have a few quick hit segments — Star Systems, Ships, Quotes, etc. Basically “Tech Debt” from a few different angles. I need to think on it a while.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

G0RF posted:

I like that idea as a distinct information layer. “Asset in game, Mechanic TBD.” Source pic is telling for what it leaves out — the layers that represent future work / technical debt.

Did they ever figure out how to get missiles to work yet? Wouldn't every ship fall under "mechanics missing"?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

This is only a test.

I went thru and created a layered file and dropped it into the Pay to Live comp, just for a quick test. Does it look accurate?

Longer term an animated infographic approach — with text inserts — could be neat and informative. I’ll ponder that awhile and see where that leads.

Late to comment here, but I'd say the explosion effect obscures the remaining ships, making it difficult to see exactly what was removed (especially as they're to-scale, so the gaps don't indicate how many were taking up the space). In fact, hitting 'replay' on the video reveals this better because the missing ones suddenly pop back into view).

As someone wrote earlier, a cocaine-like 'wind effect' would be better, blowing the missing ships away (pixel-by-pixel). This would be more work though.

Maybe the order the ships are removed could be correlated to something else for maximum info-provision.

As a bonus, you could add CR opening his mouth to provide the hot air (wind).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rugganovich posted:

Mate, I think you're giving undue credit to their intellect. When a person has to preface an argument with "insert my credentials here", they have lost their argument straight up.
A persons point of view should stand on its merit/s alone.

It always makes me laugh when someone says, 'But I'm a "insert profession here" ', as if there's never been anybody that is lovely at that profession, lol.

This is something I've always noticed. "I'm a professional *insert*." Dude, look around the world - there's broken and awful poo poo lining your vision, and almost all of it was made by professionals. Even people who are at the top of their fields make mistakes. The difference is that the people at the very top don't go on the internet to post about it, or tell people what their credentials are. They're too busy taking jobs to fix what others in their field broke.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

Yeah, the boom was just a leftover from Pay to Live, not planned for whatever this becomes.

An infographic in motion approach — something straight forward, like the 3.0 Infographic but animated — feels promising. Dense with missing info and serious / brief, so it can be digested fast.

Time to learn SVG and Javascript. :allears:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

An infographic in motion approach — something straight forward, like the 3.0 Infographic but animated — feels promising. Dense with missing info and serious / brief, so it can be digested fast. I picture something neutral in tone, built for easy sharing in online posts. It could have a few quick hit segments — Star Systems, Ships, Quotes, etc. Basically “Tech Debt” from a few different angles. I need to think on it a while.

I have a fun request. Can you make a parody of the Microsoft Clippy character only have it be a Crobbear and have it pop in every now and then for emphasis.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:homebrew: New ship > old ship refactored-old-ship :smuggo:

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Scruffpuff posted:

This is something I've always noticed. "I'm a professional *insert*." Dude, look around the world - there's broken and awful poo poo lining your vision, and almost all of it was made by professionals. Even people who are at the top of their fields make mistakes. The difference is that the people at the very top don't go on the internet to post about it, or tell people what their credentials are. They're too busy taking jobs to fix what others in their field broke.

are you THAT kazan though?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Quavers posted:

:homebrew: New ship > old ship refactored-old-ship :smuggo:

gimme that drake duct tape

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

This is only a test.

I went thru and created a layered file and dropped it into the Pay to Live comp, just for a quick test. Does it look accurate?

Longer term an animated infographic approach — with text inserts — could be neat and informative. I’ll ponder that awhile and see where that leads.

That's accurate.

If you really want to put the effort into it, there are a lot of ways to visualize that data. Problem is that there are so many ships that the most impactful ones would be too zoomed out to see properly. Something like a timeline where you see when a ship was announced, that then tracks the progress of the ship across the years, with its color changing from green to red as it gets delayed (an a nice little *ping* if it gets released).

The RSI site does include all the info, like in which patch was the ship ready to fly or available at the hangar. It is just a loving pain in the rear end to navigate because of course it is a pain in the rear end. If you want to do something fancy I can help with the data.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Baxta posted:

are you THAT kazan though?

I can say that I literally earn a living due to the actions of the That Kazans who live among us.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Scruffpuff posted:

I can say that I literally earn a living due to the actions of the That Kazans who live among us.

Ahh you repair edited config files?

Nice!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

This might be the most critical piece of missing information for the casual observer. It's the as-of-yet unreached center of CIG's infinite gobstopper of lies. When the average guy sees "mining and salvaging ship" on RSI's website, they're automatically going to assume that the concepts of salvage, mining, crafting, and economy are at least defined, else why release a ship? Same goes for farming, medical, bounty hunting, piracy, scouting, etc. CIG goes out of their way to attach a buzzword to every barely functional "ship" they claim are "in game" (which itself is a lie as there is no game) when in reality they are all lovely noclip garbage and nothing on them works.

Condider the "Tier-0" implementation of what CIG is cynically calling "mining." Go over here and push a button. Crafting, refining, trading, not even a loving list of minerals exists. Never mind all that, go over here and push a button, and we'll make a number go up. Sometime before the heat death of the universe we might tie that button to something or maybe even design a game. But don't hold your breath.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Glad to see nothing has changed.

To be fair, that dude compared outrageously different games, kinda like trying to argue that Othello has a better white/black switching than Ikaruga.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
For some reason I just listened to all 1 hour of Derek Smart's video.

What is that accent he has? I can't place it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Can I buy warbonds from the alien nations? I want to support them in the war. Those poor vanduuls can't even afford spaceships big enough to fit them, or for the copilot to not have his face in the pilot's rear end.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Triple-mixed — it has no place, except in the hearts and minds of all citizens.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

For some reason I just listened to all 1 hour of Derek Smart's video.

Warlockian

Scruffpuff posted:

This might be the most critical piece of missing information for the casual observer. It's the as-of-yet unreached center of CIG's infinite gobstopper of lies. When the average guy sees "mining and salvaging ship" on RSI's website, they're automatically going to assume that the concepts of salvage, mining, crafting, and economy are at least defined, else why release a ship? Same goes for farming, medical, bounty hunting, piracy, scouting, etc. CIG goes out of their way to attach a buzzword to every barely functional "ship" they claim are "in game" (which itself is a lie as there is no game) when in reality they are all lovely noclip garbage and nothing on them works.

Condider the "Tier-0" implementation of what CIG is cynically calling "mining." Go over here and push a button. Crafting, refining, trading, not even a loving list of minerals exists. Never mind all that, go over here and push a button, and we'll make a number go up. Sometime before the heat death of the universe we might tie that button to something or maybe even design a game. But don't hold your breath.

Man, the goddamn Endeavor would take like five minutes by itself. Not only are none of its mechanics implemented but neither are the mechanics to allow its mechanics (module swapping). That ship is a 10 million project (by a capable team) by itself.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Just like his nemesis, he has a strange and confounding hybrid accent.

Unlike his nemesis, he isn't snorting bucketfuls of cocaine bought from the proceeds of a thinly veiled ponzi scheme though.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What does "science" or "research" even mean? This isn't an RTS. Same with "exploration." in the ideal world where the game exists in its full form, there's 100 star systems each with a bunch of poo poo. Within the first week every rock will be explored.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

This, oh god this. Every generation brings new fresh-faced talent that doesn’t learn from the hard won mistakes, because people look at success stories and forget that failure is a lesson learned by a bitch teacher.

I’m a professional, but it means i distrust me more than i distrust other people, so i check. Even better, i build things that judge me, because i know my own level of poo poo. That’s experience, not knowing things, but knowing that you know so little that you can get things wrong without a specific test for success. Knowing that you’ll fool yourself, given half the chance.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What does "science" or "research" even mean? This isn't an RTS. Same with "exploration." in the ideal world where the game exists in its full form, there's 100 star systems each with a bunch of poo poo. Within the first week every rock will be explored.

Not if you go by the theory-crafting threads in Spectrum that have been around since like 2015. People are dreaming about exploring the universe ala Star Trek with some people planning on spending the next 10+ years exploring the star systems and getting paid huge some of money by various factions in the game to discover new worlds, just like Columbus. These are the same people that believed Croberts when he stated that a random crater in a moon in Star Citizen will have more gameplay than Skyrim (still my top two quote from Croberts along with the CoD one).

The theory-crafted gameplay loop for research is them finding undiscovered speices of animals and plants on distant planets (because there will be hundreds of millions of different species) and then cross-breeding them to form new species to sell to other players. They will also research and discover new metals and elements that will enhance the player economy and get plugged into the ship making industry, thus increasing the demand for those rare new elements. All of those have of course been confirmed by CIG staff chiming in as "in the plans", so they are solid topics to dream about for the cultists.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 22, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

This, oh god this. Every generation brings new fresh-faced talent that doesn’t learn from the hard won mistakes, because people look at success stories and forget that failure is a lesson learned by a bitch teacher.

I’m a professional, but it means i distrust me more than i distrust other people, so i check. Even better, i build things that judge me, because i know my own level of poo poo. That’s experience, not knowing things, but knowing that you know so little that you can get things wrong without a specific test for success. Knowing that you’ll fool yourself, given half the chance.

One of the lessons I drill into people (which means I'm constantly reminding myself as well) is to be hyper-aware of using the word "should."

"Will this work?"
"It should. I don't see why not. It worked the last time/every other time/systems are the same/reasons/reasons/reasons"
** thing breaks **

The correct approach:

"Will this work?"
"Let's find out." ** run tests that take a long time up front, but pay back that time in triple **

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao, just need two more studios added on.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Scruffpuff posted:

One of the lessons I drill into people (which means I'm constantly reminding myself as well) is to be hyper-aware of using the word "should."

"Will this work?"
"It should. I don't see why not. It worked the last time/every other time/systems are the same/reasons/reasons/reasons"
** thing breaks **

The correct approach:

"Will this work?"
"Let's find out." ** run tests that take a long time up front, but pay back that time in triple **

This is super important.

1. Know your poo poo
2. Know you're poo poo.

I am prone to some amazingly dumb stuff so I always triple check and don't pat myself on the back until stuff passes tests and uat... and even then something can still gently caress up.

There was a whole 6 months where I thought recursion was fun so I used it EVERYWHERE.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Also along with the bullshitting of mechanics on the website, they bullshit the words and tense in order to imply things exist.

"You can use this ship to perform medical duties"

when it should be

"You should be able to use this ship to perform medical duties when the game is completed" or "You will hopefully be able to use this ship to perform medical duties"

The entire website is just fanfiction some writers have made up which isn't tied to game design and won't cleanly map to an actual game spec.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1020269838420373504
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1020300337213771776
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1020360724151971841

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

There are several problems with the word "should".

It basically shows a lack of understanding on several levels from management on down.

In CS land we like to deal with discrete functionality. A few extra words would eliminate the word "should" and zero in on something finite for that they were trying to solve.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1019677128168787968
https://twitter.com/PalontoSC/status/1019271207953358848

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bargearse posted:

So I found this at the pawn shop today. Only one dollar and I still feel ripped off.

Do dumb poo poo like dunking it in water and using it as a coaster and things like that then tweet the pics to Ben

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

They've been using that same excuse for like, 4? 5? years now. When is it actually going to be true? never

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hobold posted:

They've been using that same excuse for like, 4? 5? years now. When is it actually going to be true? never

Look, the 2012 kickstarter said SQ42 would be ready in two years and it would cost around 20 million. Now, six years later and with almost 200 million, they are finally starting to lay the foundation for the game, as it should. Don't you know anything about game development?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Definitely a good look, citizens... keep doin what ur doin

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well I dunno, MS probably ranks lower than cancer.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/1019580148507664384
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/1019683853835874305
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/1020704768715567104

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

He said he has backed for 50k+ like 10 times in those replies

Its seriously the only thing he lives for, to show off how much 50k is pocket change for him

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Taxman ship when? Better have a stock market variant too!

quote:

we're still on the early stages of sort of the whole banking account system but one of the points in the organization is to allow an organization a group of people to be able to sort of manage joint finances

quote:

I don't know if we're gonna have a stock market to the extent that you would potentially have a stock market here in the real world but we would probably have something that would be fairly similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

There is an animal gnawing on CR's head. Do they form a symbiotic bond?