Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Nah I mean like this

I already had rio da plata colonial nation form from colonizing. I walked over and dunked on charca for their gold provinces. I don't know if it's better just to throw them at my colonial nation or core them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Asproigerosis posted:

Nah I mean like this

I already had rio da plata colonial nation form from colonizing. I walked over and dunked on charca for their gold provinces. I don't know if it's better just to throw them at my colonial nation or core them myself.

IMO give them over unless you have a ton of room in your state cap. The state maintenance is going to eat into the gold income and depending on the DLC you have you'll get some income from the mines anyway. Not sure how much (if any) income the colonial nation gets to keep from the mine but your colonial nations are usually a little hard up for cash and will use bonus income to colonize.

E: also I'm a little confused, aren't some of those provinces in colonial Peru?

Eldred fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 20, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Jay Rust posted:

Once you have five provinces in a colonial region they’ll be taken away from you regardless, I don’t think there’s a way to prevent that

Well, you can, sorta, but you're doing some real dumb poo poo to pull it off. Essentially, you cannot have a colonial nation in the region that you're trying to keep provinces in. You can release an already formed CN as independent to revert back to owning provinces from conquest/colonization in that region again, as long your cored provinces count stays under 5. Adjacent CNs can also be given spare provinces you don't want cores on, to keep from fat fingering the core province button. Alternatively, you can shift your capital over to North or South America and no more colonial nations will be formed.

However, if you're just looking to profit off the gold provinces and you have the El Dorado DLC, Treasure Fleets are an automatic thing that collects that gold and sends it to you as overlord periodically. This will happen AS LONG AS your trade capital is downstream from the colonial nation trade routes. If you're European and/or North African, you are already downstream and it will happen automatically. If you're located elsewhere, you'll need to do some adjustment.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I maintain the coolest ledger-related feature would be:

1. On the war declaration screen, it saying something like "this would pit our alliance's X , Y , Z (and boats?) against their blah blah blah"
1(B). perhaps the option to mouse over individual countries in the screen and see how much each are contributing or would contribute were they to join.
2. The ability in the peace screen to say "if this peace treaty is accepted, it would remove X , Y , and Z from the war"

With it nerfed with ??? (like I think ledger info already is?) in MP. This info is all easily available, and tbh it's just obnoxious and tedious to have to do the addition. Teaching new players to reach for the ledger and do basic math strikes me as a silly bit of esoteric knowledge and skill gap for information that could so easily be displayed in game. I view it as a minor QOL improvement instead of a major buff to player ability. I wouldn't support overloading the player with all potentially pertinent info, i.e., every nation's number of loans, idea groups, mil tech, whatever, but showing troop counts strikes me as reasonable.

There may be an argument that it may lead more inexperienced players to think troop count is the only thing that matters, but I don't think it will make this problem any more pronounced than it already is.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Wafflecopper posted:

Or you could not invest in filling out 2-3 idea groups just to win one naval battle

Innovative and Maritime continue to be useful after winning that battle, Naval does not. I suppose that was my reasoning. Quality Ideas is just something worth taking regardless.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mountaineer posted:

Innovative and Maritime continue to be useful after winning that battle, Naval does not. I suppose that was my reasoning. Quality Ideas is just something worth taking regardless.

Agreed that Quality is good, but if you wouldn't otherwise take Innovative and Maritime, it's not worth taking them to win one naval battle. Unless you really, really need to win that naval battle, it doesn't matter if they have some other use, if other groups would be of more use.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to find out how many of each ship of each type I have? I can easily find out that I have 90 light ships but how many are heavy frigates and how many are regular old frigates in need of upgrading? They're kinda spread out over across a dozen fleets so going through them one by one to check is kinda tedious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Far right side of your military tab, under # heading, should show how many of each unit type you have got. The navy tab of the macro builder also shows it at the bottom.

e: misread. No I don’t think there is any easy way to check that.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Nah I mean like this

As soon as you core 5 of them colonial Peru will form. But they will send you the gold in the form of treasure fleets, so no need to try and keep them.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Nah I mean like this

Do you have the DLC that has the treasure ship mechanic? If so, give them to your CN.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, it's really weird coming from CK2 to EUIV with all the ledger stuff and UI work having been redone and reworked (and still being improved!) to where I have to randomly shuffle through pages with no real filters to find info on my foes.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EU3 ledger was better.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I haven't played since before the China expansion. What big changes should I know about? Are any of the recent DLCs must buys or are they just flavor stuff?

Did they ever fix Tributaries? I didn't bother with that DLC cause I heard they were pretty broken.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I recommend reading the Dharma dev diaries. We should also be covering the Tributaries next dev diary I think that will be about balance changes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Elman posted:

So I haven't played since before the China expansion. What big changes should I know about? Are any of the recent DLCs must buys or are they just flavor stuff?

Did they ever fix Tributaries? I didn't bother with that DLC cause I heard they were pretty broken.

Yeah, they're far less of an issue now than they were on release, and Ming's being neutered even more this upcoming patch.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They're not even overbearing right now. People just want to complain I guess?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

They will still start making tributaries in India by about 1480 if you're unlucky which is extremely annoying, but they're better than they were when they would regularly have random parts of Iran as tributaries in like 1550

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I haven't seen them make tributaries in India at all in the last six months. The only times they seem capable of doing so if they're expanding heavily, which I haven't seen them do lately.

In my current Brunei game, things are pretty normal. They actually have fairly low mandate and a few small splinter states appeared, but they may recover. I managed to win a couple wars against their tributary Malacca. In the second war, when me and my ally Pasai only had a combined 35k troops, we even managed to force some concessions out of them. I only took a fat sum of gold, though thinking about it, I should've seen if I could've gotten them to cancel a tributary (I'm not sure if this is possible?)

The first war though was only won because I was able to call in Champa as a distraction for Ming. By the end of that war, Ming had like 40k troops tromping around SE Asia while I was hoping the AI remained too dumb to come down and relieve Malacca. Thankfully they never did.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 21, 2018

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm playing as Brandenburg in about 1555. I'm emperor but I want to convert to Protestantism so I can form Prussia. I tried converting, got kicked out as emperor, Saxony (as head of the protestant league) started a league war, and we got our asses kicked (England, Denmark, and most other places are still Catholic). The HRE status switched from religious war back to dominant Catholic. That means I can never be emperor again right?

If I go back and this time stay Catholic and stay emperor, can I trigger the league war and then intentionally lose so the HRE becomes protestant, and then convert? It's kind of gamey but I can't think of another way to form Prussia but still stay emperor.

Or is there maybe a way to delay the league war and hope that some stronger countries convert to Protestant?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yep, you nailed it buddy *pats you on the head*

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

fuf posted:

I'm playing as Brandenburg in about 1555. I'm emperor but I want to convert to Protestantism so I can form Prussia. I tried converting, got kicked out as emperor, Saxony (as head of the protestant league) started a league war, and we got our asses kicked (England, Denmark, and most other places are still Catholic). The HRE status switched from religious war back to dominant Catholic. That means I can never be emperor again right?

If I go back and this time stay Catholic and stay emperor, can I trigger the league war and then intentionally lose so the HRE becomes protestant, and then convert? It's kind of gamey but I can't think of another way to form Prussia but still stay emperor.

Or is there maybe a way to delay the league war and hope that some stronger countries convert to Protestant?

Not sure, but can't you form Prussia and then convert back to Catholicism?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Also if you have the highest rating (you should be able to see it if you hover over) you will be the leader and the one that decides when the war starts.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm confused as to how the final expansion ideas CB works. It says it lets me fabricate claims in overseas trade company areas, yet (playing as Oman) I still don't have any valid CBs or ways to fabricate claims in the neighboring Indian or Indonesian provinces that are in trade company areas. I'm guessing I misunderstood exactly what this CB does.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Can't form trade companies on the continent your capital is on, so must also not be able to forge claims through expansion there.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Yeah I'm guessing that doesn't count as "overseas"

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

reignonyourparade posted:

Can't form trade companies on the continent your capital is on, so must also not be able to forge claims through expansion there.

I thought that might be the case, but I don't have the CB against African countries either

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

I thought that might be the case, but I don't have the CB against African countries either

It's not a CB. It's the ability to build spy networks and forge claims on provinces that would normally be far out of your range to forge claims against.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Exactly. Play as an African or South American country and notice the number of 'other country has forged a claim on X province' popups that you get while being nowhere near you.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Drakhoran posted:

It's not a CB. It's the ability to build spy networks and forge claims on provinces that would normally be far out of your range to forge claims against.

I should've been clearer. I don't even get the ability to fabricate claims. After looking at the trade company and region mapmode, turns out Asia and Indonesia are all considered part of my home region, so it makes sense that I can't fabricate the claims there. Still doesn't explain why I can't fabricate any CBs in the Africa trade company regions (Kilwa specifically).

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
You also can't form trade companies in regions that are downstream from you. Europeans can have trade companies in Africa and Asia, Africans can have trade companies in Asia, Asians get jack poo poo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

Yep, you nailed it buddy *pats you on the head*

They almost never extend their reach to India in any of my games. Maybe they're too stable but they don't expand relentlessly anymore.

Don't be a dick.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lord Hypnostache posted:

You also can't form trade companies in regions that are downstream from you. Europeans can have trade companies in Africa and Asia, Africans can have trade companies in Asia, Asians get jack poo poo.
Some of the islands in the southeast can be trade companied. For what good that does. :v:

edit

Oh man. So few hours left to play. I'll only have enough for a few sessions when Dharma is out, if I somehow manage not to play any until then. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 22, 2018

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Trip report: Finished my Austria campaign and, while I'm sure it's old news to most of the people here, it was fun as hell. Rushing to stave off the shadow kingdom and then playing reformation wack-a-mole while sucking up for votes makes for an entertaining early/mid game. Then you're rewarded by becoming just comically powerful the second you revoke the privilegia. Lucked into a PU with Russia not long after that, so I decided to finally get the world conquest achievement. Much less tedious with essentially infinite money and 50 vassals to do the fighting. Ended up doing it as a one-tag with plenty of time to spare. Only regret is that I didn't think to make Russia convert to Catholic or I would have had a good shot at one-faith too.

The insane diplo rep is great. I honestly didn't know that inheriting PUs was a thing until I played this Austria game.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Hot UI suggestions: 1) option for missionaries to auto convert a la the diplo macro thing, 2) let me assign one diplomat to multiple functions, 3) disable selecting armies when you're making demands at the peace table.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Little Kielbasa posted:

3) disable selecting armies when you're making demands at the peace table.

omg yes pls

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

They almost never extend their reach to India in any of my games. Maybe they're too stable but they don't expand relentlessly anymore.

Don't be a dick.

You said the only reason people have a problem with the current ming is that they love to whine then tell me not to be a dick :lol:

How many games have you played in India since you apparently feel that your experiences are universal?

feller fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 23, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Hot UI suggestions: 1) option for missionaries to auto convert a la the diplo macro thing, 2) let me assign one diplomat to multiple functions, 3) disable selecting armies when you're making demands at the peace table.

4) show how much development each province has on the claim fabrication window

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
5) show autonomy on the state interface. We get to see devastation for some reason but autonomy is significantly more relevant most of the time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

6) Show institution spread speed and and estimated completion time in the province tooltip when in institution map mode so I can tell at a glance how quickly an institution will spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
7) Give me a pony