Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I gotta say, I really miss Trial of War from Shadow of Mordor.

I want to play the game several times over from the start, conquering the regions, seeing what new kinds of orcs I get owned by and such, but I really don't like doing the Story Missions or the collectathon stuff more than once.

I wish There was a game mode that would drop your lvl 1 rear end into a fully unlocked world map with the only objective being conquering it all. I would be all about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
It's called the Desolation of Mordor. :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Safeword posted:

It's called the Desolation of Mordor. :v:

Kinda sorta except it's really small, since it's only one region, and the permadeath is very detrimental to Nemesis System since there's no way for an orc to be your "nemesis" in the first place because the game just ends when that happens.
Additionally you won't have any kind of meaningful attachment to your allies either since you just buy all of them and that's it.

DoM is quite fun from gameplay perspective for a little but it's really small and shallow unlike the main game.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I gotta say, I really miss Trial of War from Shadow of Mordor.

I want to play the game several times over from the start, conquering the regions, seeing what new kinds of orcs I get owned by and such, but I really don't like doing the Story Missions or the collectathon stuff more than once.

I wish There was a game mode that would drop your lvl 1 rear end into a fully unlocked world map with the only objective being conquering it all. I would be all about that.

I haven't tried it, but isn't the little shield symbol off to the side of each skill tree a "reset all the poo poo and unlock it again" prestige option? It takes a skill point to unlock, which is 1-3 online conquests depending on your level. Along with melting down all your equipment and throwing a siege in each territory, that might do what you're wanting.

vvvv ah, that is terrible, but now i will do it vvvv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2018

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
If you're talking about the icons to the right, no. They just give bonuses the more points you put in, like the top one is health restored on kill. The more points you put in, the more health restored. Then there's wrath per hit and crit hit damage and I can't remember the others.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shadow of War writer, reveal yourself

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This final Zog mission wouldn’t be so aggravating if he didn’t have to monologue every goddamn time

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I just bought this game on sale, and started on nemesis difficulty, although there seems to be two difficulties above it, i find it plenty difficult. I've already died bunch, some to mooks, some to captains. The orcs personalities are alot of fun so far, seeing a guy walking around smirking like he is king poo poo after he killed me really motivates me to get my revenge.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Calaveron posted:

This final Zog mission wouldn’t be so aggravating if he didn’t have to monologue every goddamn time

You're playing the wrong game if you don't want monologues.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shnag posted:

I just bought this game on sale, and started on nemesis difficulty, although there seems to be two difficulties above it, i find it plenty difficult. I've already died bunch, some to mooks, some to captains. The orcs personalities are alot of fun so far, seeing a guy walking around smirking like he is king poo poo after he killed me really motivates me to get my revenge.

If you have any previous experience with arkham style combat at all then I highly recommend playing through the game on Nemesis from the start.
The game is pretty easy and you dying is one of the things that makes the Nemesis System shine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HebrewMagic posted:

Did they add a “skip monologue” button in the latest patch? Because that as much as anything dragged down shadow wars for me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

HebrewMagic posted:

Not when you’ve heard it three times from the same assface with a random pattern

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
much above nemesis difficulty just gets obnoxious as even with maxed out health you will die in one hit from pretty much anything

like i'm fine with it being punishing but a hunter spear from some rando mook should not be shredding up that much of my health.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Jack Trades posted:

If you have any previous experience with arkham style combat at all then I highly recommend playing through the game on Nemesis from the start.
The game is pretty easy and you dying is one of the things that makes the Nemesis System shine.

I played all the arkham games, and the middle earth games always gave me more trouble. Probably because in the arkham games I would restart a check point if I took too much damage as I didn't feel like batman enough. With the middle earth games I get served a slice of humble pie when I can't restart if I gently caress up and if I try to cheese it, they have anti-cheesing-it measures. I just gotta 'get gud' and work on upgrading Tailon some.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

much above nemesis difficulty just gets obnoxious as even with maxed out health you will die in one hit from pretty much anything

like i'm fine with it being punishing but a hunter spear from some rando mook should not be shredding up that much of my health.

I'm halfway into another Gravewalker run right now and let me tell you the gospel of our lord and savior, the dodge roll.
Additionally, you don't even want to engage in a fight with range units around so I usually pick them off before a fight starts or briefly remove them from the equation by using Fire or Frost AoE just long enough for me to break whoever I am fighting.

If anyone else here is playing on Gravewalker or Brutal right now, hear this.
Vengeance set is amazing since you'll be dying from 2 hits anyways so you might as well use your HP to do more alpha damage instead.
Shadow Pull is also godlike because you can pull captains away from everyone else and have a nice fair 1v1 fight instead.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I'm halfway into another Gravewalker run right now and let me tell you the gospel of our lord and savior, the dodge roll.
Additionally, you don't even want to engage in a fight with range units around so I usually pick them off before a fight starts or briefly remove them from the equation by using Fire or Frost AoE just long enough for me to break whoever I am fighting.

If anyone else here is playing on Gravewalker or Brutal right now, hear this.
Vengeance set is amazing since you'll be dying from 2 hits anyways so you might as well use your HP to do more alpha damage instead.
Shadow Pull is also godlike because you can pull captains away from everyone else and have a nice fair 1v1 fight instead.

i've done a gravewalker run, it's objectively less fun than Nemesis. i can dodge roll from one end of the zone to the other, that's not the issue, the issue is that it takes so long to do the most basic loving things because if you ever stop dodge rolling in any situation that is somewhat suboptimal you will get severely punished for it. everything takes longer to do because there is no give to how the game plays. it just feels like complete rear end.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

i've done a gravewalker run, it's objectively less fun than Nemesis. i can dodge roll from one end of the zone to the other, that's not the issue, the issue is that it takes so long to do the most basic loving things because if you ever stop dodge rolling in any situation that is somewhat suboptimal you will get severely punished for it. everything takes longer to do because there is no give to how the game plays. it just feels like complete rear end.

To each his own, I suppose, because personally I played enough Shadow of X games that I don't ever end up dying on Nemesis anymore and that makes the game way less fun for me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

To each his own, I suppose, because personally I played enough Shadow of X games that I don't ever end up dying on Nemesis anymore and that makes the game way less fun for me.

Then play Brutal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Then play Brutal.

I don't really see any reason why I would.
I like some of the Gravewalker specific features, like nerfed stealth and shorter timers for nemesis missions, and the only thing Brutal got going for it is more Wrath/Might gain which is hardly relevant for me since I run Bright Lord/Vengeance sets anyways.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot, on Gravewalker when orcs kill you they get like 10-15 levels which can lead to some really exciting stuff like when on my previous playthrough an orc ended up being lvl 55 in Nurn, beforce I was ready to do the very first fortress assault even.
It was pretty satisfying when I finally managed to take him down.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah I'm a fan of brutal difficulty because while you still die in two hits, fighting higher level captains/etc isn't an endless plinking slog that will inevitably end up with them adapting to all but one tactic so you're forced to just do that one thing over and over. Plus, throwing off constant executions and overwhelm moves is way more fun than seeing it happen once every 10-15 minutes.

It also has some of the stuff I like from gravewalker, like one-turn orc events and captains rapidly gaining levels.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was fighting what became 3 captains at once. I managed to recruit one and get another killed but one of them stopped to yammer at me and then I got hit by a mob that got me before the game gave me back control and killed me since I was on my last last chance. It was so cheap.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

I don't really see any reason why I would.
I like some of the Gravewalker specific features, like nerfed stealth and shorter timers for nemesis missions, and the only thing Brutal got going for it is more Wrath/Might gain which is hardly relevant for me since I run Bright Lord/Vengeance sets anyways.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot, on Gravewalker when orcs kill you they get like 10-15 levels which can lead to some really exciting stuff like when on my previous playthrough an orc ended up being lvl 55 in Nurn, beforce I was ready to do the very first fortress assault even.
It was pretty satisfying when I finally managed to take him down.

So you obviously do not get Brutal then. Brutal is Gravewalker difficulty with the added bonus of being an equal playing field as while you will still die in a couple hits, so will the enemies. If you know how to fight your enemies you will tear them apart, and if you do not they will do the exact same thing.

Edit: Just checked on my current file and I am level 31 and my current nemesis is level 55, so yeah that feature is also in Brutal.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 23, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah jack's posts as a whole make me think that his entire avatar thing is a lot less ironic than might be comfortable is so i take pretty much everything he posts with a heavy grain of salt. i made my post purely for the sake of folks simply reading the thread; this isn't like a lot of games where higher difficulty levels breed real greatness.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do not like every single captain fight turning into Mr Freeze from Arkham City.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

So you obviously do not get Brutal then. Brutal is Gravewalker difficulty with the added bonus of being an equal playing field as while you will still die in a couple hits, so will the enemies. If you know how to fight your enemies you will tear them apart, and if you do not they will do the exact same thing.

Edit: Just checked on my current file and I am level 31 and my current nemesis is level 55, so yeah that feature is also in Brutal.

My bad then.
I have barely played Brutal myself and from when they were talking about it on stream I got the impression that it wouldn't include the special Gravewalker features.
I guess I was wrong.

Alchenar posted:

I do not like every single captain fight turning into Mr Freeze from Arkham City.

Incidentally, in the last patch they lowered the rate by which captains adapt by a lot.

skooma512 posted:

I was fighting what became 3 captains at once. I managed to recruit one and get another killed but one of them stopped to yammer at me and then I got hit by a mob that got me before the game gave me back control and killed me since I was on my last last chance. It was so cheap.

Yeah, it's bullshit when that happens.
Although, I'm fairly sure that the game never actually hits you when you don't have control, it's just that it sometimes hits when it doesn't look like you have control.
Try mashing dodge when you think you're about to get hit after something that takes your control away, I found that it usually saves my rear end.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Holy shitfuck, Waters of Lorien. I decided to try it out, since in my fifty-ish hours I had never pulled the "flip over guy and freeze him" move out of that slot, but the Ringwraith mask taking the cost off it incentivized me. I don't know if I'll ever go back, I'm enjoying loving teleporting through Defenses like I'm some Deviantart oc.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Folks, the sale's winding up, is the gold edition worth the extra bucks?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Somfin posted:

Folks, the sale's winding up, is the gold edition worth the extra bucks?

Eh, depends really.

The two story DLCs you get are alright but very short and completely separate from the main game.
On the other hand, the two additional tribes are very cool and add plenty of variety to all the orcs but even the basic game has enough orc variety for you to not see all of the orcs even if you decide to 100% the game.

The additional content is worth the money but you won't really miss much if you just buy the base game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
whoahoholyfuck it's a hundred gigabytes

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Somfin posted:

New thread title please.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Somfin posted:

Obviously you also need to install the 4K Cinematics and High Resolution Textures Packs, that's 50 GB extra.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Obviously you also need to install the 4K Cinematics and High Resolution Textures Packs, that's 50 GB extra.

Whaaat gently caress off with that poo poo what

Nope that's not included in the gold edition by default that's another 50

Also how the hell do they justify not including that one story content thing goddamn it that's 40 NZ bucks

E: Wait hold on is that thing included? I can't actually tell whether the gold edition has everything

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 23, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Somfin posted:

Whaaat gently caress off with that poo poo what

Nope that's not included in the gold edition by default that's another 50

Also how the hell do they justify not including that one story content thing goddamn it that's 40 NZ bucks

E: Wait hold on is that thing included? I can't actually tell whether the gold edition has everything

Gold Edition includes all the DLC.

By default the 4K Cinematics and High Resolution Textures packs are not downloaded (thank god) but they're free.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Safeword posted:

New thread title please.

:lol: good call, i'll put in for a title change in a few days when i feel like the last stragglers have seen that the microtransactions have been removed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alchenar posted:

This is my unpopular opinion too. I don’t necessarily mind it when I’m 1v1ing them, but in a fight where you’re taking on 3-5 captains at once, while also fending off defenders and berserkers, trying to keep straight who’s immune to and/or will get enraged by what is just straight up stressful and not fun (especially when they take turns doing 10-15 second unskippable monologues in the heat of combat)

My extremely unpopular opinion is that it’d be cool if you could turn off certain types of immunities/enrages in the difficulty menu, but I know, that’s bad and completely not the point of the game

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I used to have a problem with that in Shadow Wars, but I eventually came to the conclusion that in huge wild melees, doing all the work yourself was a chump move. Brand, brand, and brand some more, then sic your pet captains on the enemy ones. They can never be immune to damage from other orcs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just like in real life, getting someone else to do your work for you is the pro level move. :pseudo:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
No captain is immune to the glaive. Spec it to chain multiple swings and you can bully captains into a corner.

Enrage followers is such an easy way out from annoying captains, commanders and marksmen spamming explosive sniper shots make short work of anyone who can't be pulled into the Kazuma Kiryu ground and pound.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i kinda feel like multiple captains SHOULD cause you to poo poo yourself to some extent. the adaptation mechanic was definitely out of hand prior to last patch (and is still pretty obnoxious with a Thick Skinned/Tank orc), but i really appreciate the rolling fight that breaks out when 3 captains get in your business.

in other news, i swear to almighty god there is some sort of hidden 'badass' stat or whatever that causes certain orcs to do more damage. this story requires a little bit of background:

my favorite orc in my entire game is "Golm the Gravewalker". he's a cursed mystic assassin that uses a crossbow that i first ran into when i was about level 25. shortly after spawning, he ambushed me and bitched me out for stealing his name, which he got because he is a Necromancer. turns out that is one hell of a thing for a crossbow assassin to have and he not only killed my first bodyguard (a big rear end Olog tank called Az-Laar the Painless), he would routinely get a trick shot on me when i was inundated with zombies. this would knock me down, and...well. he's an assassin. No Chance comes with the territory.

i eventually get him branded, and we have a bit of a rocky relationship for most of my time in nurnen. some of it's legit my fault (I killed a blood brother he picked up without realizing) and some of it is just Golm being a douche. again, our fights are always super interesting and i can't count on beating him because jesus mary gently caress does that crossbow of his hurt. way more than even marksman orcs do. he doesn't have great strength curse master or anything, he just doesn't miss and he loving HURTS.

eventually i leave nurnen and Golm stays behind as a warchief. i just recently came back to nurnen due to the shadow wars. i hang out with Golm a little bit, get him up to level 70 or so, life's good. then i go get myself hosed up by the biggest rookie mistake - i slap my fingers down on ESDF rather than WASD and the predictable happens. I blow my Last Chance to a loving rando savage of all things.

then Golm shows up, yells "US GRAVEWALKERS GOTTA STICK TOGETHER" and murders the gently caress out of that guy. then an ambient captain shows up, level loving 83. he's riding a caragor, though, so Golm shoots his caragor, kicks off because of his Bestial Frenzy hate, and murders that fucker in 3 goddamn bolts from his crossbow. two other captains show up in ambush, and Golm murders one of them before i can even really identify him. the other one I manage to identify, but it doesn't matter because loving Golm already has his health at half by the time i get into melee with him.

again, keep in mind that Golm does not have any epic traits that would increase his damage. i have no idea where he gets off with the raw amount of pain he puts out, even 13 goddamn levels below one of his targets. but god bless him for doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Ok, so I can definitely still feel that there were microtransactions what with the bullshit unexplained currency showing up in my inventory after a story quest, but so far I'm just, like, back in that Shadow of Mordor zone. Game's good so far, I like that you can just hammer KO'd orcs and I like that the bow isn't as overwhelmingly up front overpowering as it was in the first game. No captain stories to tell just yet.

• Locked thread