Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's honestly not that much of a time investment, especially if you're level 70. Most of the time there are specific PFs for killing primals for WT, and those plus the roulettes you're probably already doing will get you all or most of a book completed. Just work on it over the course of the week rather than feeling in a rush to get it done on Wednesday or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Schneider Heim posted:

I have a problem with too many buttons to press because the game doesn't really support good hotkeys out of the box. I was able to enjoy WoW for a long time because of addons and the fact that each spec was streamlined already. I've still put off rebinding my hotbars because I'm playing multiple classes and like stuff to be accessible.

I wish the classes were a bit more streamlined and I do agree with some of the criticisms above... what I really like is the flavor of each class, though, which is what Legion WoW tried to do but a lot of execution was lacking. I don't mind DRG's rotation because I played through the Azure Dragoon story (up to ARR at least) and that was pretty cool.

I also just got Wondrous Tails. Is this useful and something to be done every week?

The main tips I have for you are get a mouse with multiple buttons and then homogenize hotbars across jobs as best as you can. For example, always put your 1-2-3 combo on 1, 2, and 3. Always put your stun on mouse 4. Always put your dps cooldown on mouse 5. Always put divesion on poo poo+mouse 8, etc.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Wondrous Tales meant a lot more when it was introduced in Heavensward and a lot of the stuff that would pop up in it would be something that'd also neatly tie into finding stuff for some stage of your anima weapon or some other bonus.

The amount of coincidental WT content you'll run in Stormblood is far, far less- even when a patch is new and I'm looking to cap Tomestones every week and run as much relevant content as possible I still was usually only was filling 4-5 of the nine slots a week and would either have to go out of my way or start burning Second Chances to finish a log.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh man, I just finished 2.55 and was looking for the unique dialogue. It turns out some insane amazing person has compiled all the unique dialogue for it!

Uh, spoilers for the end of ARR, obviously

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/229993-After-the-Fall-A-Compilation-of-NPC-Dialogue-SPOILERS

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
To go back a bit, one thing I do wish they would steal from WoW, at least the last time I played it, is front-loading abilities heavily. I think the new player experience would be a bit better if, say, melee dps had a 3 hit combo, a dps cooldown, an ogcd dps ability and an AE by level 15, with a similar scheme for other roles.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You can consistently roflstomp any of the EX primals unsynced with friends up to like Thordan/Nidhogg, and yeah if you're doing roulettes it's worth getting it just for something to do.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failboattootoot posted:

I see your point, and I can somewhat agree, but I do still prefer longer combos in general. I could see paring down most of the melee jobs from 8 hit combos to 6. but, looking at samurai, I don't really know what you would cut. There's a lot of cruft to be sure, but all that cruft is what has you having to plan ahead or make interesting decisions during a PvE fight. You could cut 3rd eye and it's two follow-ups, but i actually really like using 3rd eye a lot, even if the effect isn't all that great since it feels like doing a timing counter. You could cut gurren and hagakure but then you've cut everything that makes kenki even vaguely complex.The only other thing I would cut is ageha, because executes are dull.

I think sam is generally fun in PvP but if they just dragged that moveset over into PvE, it wouldn't be particularly interesting and that's about the best that could be done with the class as-is if you wanted to go for a more gw2/current WoW style of combat.

I think SAM is fine, if you prune SAM you basically kill the class the way it was designed. I went with DRG in my post because DRG is the worst possible case scenario in every single aspect of the class design. I don't even have a particular issue with having a lot of buttons, I'm used to the 100-120 keybinds hell of WOTLK PVP. My issue with the rotations is that they're long to compensate the fact that they're easy and the decision tree is shallow. When I'm talking/coaching/posting about PVP I always mention that people should have a bit of a Poker approach to their decision making and I think Poker is always a good frame of reference. There are very few commands you can do in Poker but the conditionals behind each one of them are based on a gigantic mountain of statistical analysis. Similarly, someone complained about Mobas, but even in League of effing Legends there's a far more interesting and deeper decision making in casting any Orianna spell than there ever was in WoW Arena when there were hundreds of keybinds. The matches were extremely formulaic and you could follow a very basic script and ride your way to Gladiator which is funny because PVPers loved to talk about how PVP was harder than PVE.

The fact that pruning them murders the class pretty much displays that. I'm also not a fan of combo actions, I think they're a way to forcefully create a sequence when that same sequence could instead be designed with a more interesting logic behind it. By design, there's no reason to cast Vorpal Thrust by itself. Again, a mechanic in Mobas (and in this game's PVP) is to have a single skill have on first cast, on second cast, and so on. Because you're never casting these thrust skills outside of their combo sequence, they're effectively 1 skill occupying the slot of 3 buttons. There are a many consequences of that which I'll skip, but the key here is that if you're disguising your skills as many different skills to bloat your bar, you end up with an incredibly anemic leveling experience. A very easy pitfall in that design is that instead of having a few core buttons (say, 4 or 5) which interweave to create a complex gameplay, the complexity of the rotation only appears once you have every button in your disposal. Let's say you have a pool of 50 skills - In the former, you can frontload those skills, allowing the player to understand the core dynamics of their class, and then the next 45 skills build on that. With the latter, you only have the small pieces of a larger puzzle as you level, and it's a lot easier to fall in the trap of designing a class whose identity dies the moment you have to prune some skills or spreading them over many levels.

I started writing this before you posted:

Failboattootoot posted:

To go back a bit, one thing I do wish they would steal from WoW, at least the last time I played it, is front-loading abilities heavily. I think the new player experience would be a bit better if, say, melee dps had a 3 hit combo, a dps cooldown, an ogcd dps ability and an AE by level 15, with a similar scheme for other roles.

So yeah, pretty much.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Failboattootoot posted:

The main tips I have for you are get a mouse with multiple buttons and then homogenize hotbars across jobs as best as you can. For example, always put your 1-2-3 combo on 1, 2, and 3. Always put your stun on mouse 4. Always put your dps cooldown on mouse 5. Always put divesion on poo poo+mouse 8, etc.

My laptop actually has a problem with mouse buttons and FFXIV. Clicks don't register around half the time so it's kind of hard to do high-stress stuff. Also aren't mice with many buttons expensive? I think the cheapest I saw was a Logitech, which was around 20-25 bucks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Someone help. I want to level up my Crafters, but they feel so lame and ineffectual aside from Culinarian, so I've only been doing Beast Tribes. But at that rate, it'll take me forever to hit 70 with everything. What do I need to do to level up quicker and also improve my stats?

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone help. I want to level up my Crafters, but they feel so lame and ineffectual aside from Culinarian, so I've only been doing Beast Tribes. But at that rate, it'll take me forever to hit 70 with everything. What do I need to do to level up quicker and also improve my stats?

Get someone to make you leve-kits and/or make you hq crafting gear that you meld materia on

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Level 50-60 crafters got a huge rework a few months ago, and 60-70 is pretty painless. The class quests also dump huge amounts of XP in your lap, too.

Going from 50 to 70 should take only a few hours and maybe 750k of stuff off the MB per job. Use your challenge log for ~40% of a level, do the daily turn ins at your grand company, and moogle/namazu dailies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh great. I only need to spend almost 8 million gil. :negative:

I guess I can gather materials for gear, at least, and get someone to make it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Once you hit SB levels keep in mind what leves are available for each class. Every one of them has a relatively easy 3x turn in leve that can easily carry you to 70, with the latest I want to say being LTW for Tiger Leather at 64.

It's how I got all of my crafters up to 70 a few months after release :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'll have to try that. Carpenter feels like it's leveling slower.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh great. I only need to spend almost 8 million gil. :negative:

I guess I can gather materials for gear, at least, and get someone to make it.

Don't bother? There's always some cheap turn in that has the best bang/buck like turning in 3 Gagana Leathers versus some level 62 BRD tunic (8000 each vs 100k). You're not on Excal, so I can't help, but getting cash positive and blowing through HW+SB levels should be really, really quick and cheap. The hard part is over, 15-50 sucks real bad.

Also if you think that 50-60 is really rough for leveling, end game crafting is probably not going to be something that you'll enjoy. You know... unlike me who quit for 2 months after trying to overmeld some gear and blew a few million on materia and decided to hop back onto the materia blowing up game this weekend. Only lost about 60 materia v's @ ~60k a pop... for the left side only. :negative:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

sb leves are p powerful, but your allowance will need some refills if you power through that way
also your class quests are both worth a ton and give powerful abilities in sb so do them (they also give you all the mats to make the item just like beast tribes)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

My laptop actually has a problem with mouse buttons and FFXIV. Clicks don't register around half the time so it's kind of hard to do high-stress stuff. Also aren't mice with many buttons expensive? I think the cheapest I saw was a Logitech, which was around 20-25 bucks.

Yeah they're a bit pricier than normal mice, but trust me when I say it makes MMOs so much easier. Also, Logitech makes them like tanks and they last forever. Pretty sure I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's still going good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah they're a bit pricier than normal mice, but trust me when I say it makes MMOs so much easier. Also, Logitech makes them like tanks and they last forever. Pretty sure I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's still going good.

There a specific one you recommend? I've never had much luck with gaming mice, I've muscle memoried weird hotkey combos instead.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I like the Logitech G502, it’s got side buttons but not a ridiculous amount like the razor ones.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Seconding the recommendation for the G502. Thing feels great and it's got just the right amount of buttons.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Been real happy with the Steelseries Rival 500 - reasonably ergonomic, has tons of buttons that are all shaped and oriented differently, feels great using only a few or a bunch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Logitech G600 for me. The full keypad or bust.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibblebibble posted:

Logitech G600 for me. The full keypad or bust.

Same. Hoping for a refresh or a new design for Logitech but I ain't holding my breath.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

EU fan fest tickets are up!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well drat, I'm probably going to miss them this time. I forgot they'd be on sale this soon.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I also use the g502. It is a bit pricey, but it is also so very worth it (as is a good keyboard).

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I use the G300 and bind two of the side buttons to shift and control and one of the middle buttons to alt so that I don't have to do ridiculous hand movements to move and attack at the same time.
With just using 1-6 that gives me 24 buttons, throw in the other buttons on the mouse, and a few mapped letters and that comes in around 30 which has been plenty

As a bonus the RSI pain I got from the weird contortions I had to do for something like Ctrl+6+E+D is much better with this layout

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I'm a big fan of the g400/400s, decent number of buttons while also being comfy as heck, sadly kindly pricey now bc its out of production. I'd like the 502 more if it wasn't covered in fuckin sick gamer spikes that stab you every time you go to hit a side button.

Also the true chrysalis strat is to tank lb just before you get sucked in, its practically impossible to fail at that point so long as people actually dps the tear rather than yell at you the entire time for "wasting" the lb.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The best way to handle chrysalis is to never put yourself in the position of doing it with pubbies :fireman:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My main keybinds are `-5, QERF, M4, and M5, and shift+ all of those with a sensitivity decrease on my mouse rebinded to be shift. Theres also some alt+ and ctrl+ stuff but thats for rarely used buttons like protect or shield oath or egi summon etc. If they ever add more active buttons I can just repurpose M4 and M5 to be ctrl+ and alt+ or move to ESDF or use the middle mouse button for combat. There are a million ways to rebind keys and a million cheapass mice with three thumb buttons.

Im using a G502 now because its amazing but if you really want to go cheap with mice, the Redragon Mammoth is only $25 and comes with four!! side buttons and lasts forever, mmb needs occasional repair though

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Jose Valasquez posted:

The best way to handle chrysalis is to never put yourself in the position of doing it with pubbies :fireman:

Sometimes the roulette wheel spins and you hit zero end up with Chrysalis. Still would rather do that than any ARR leveling dungeon outside of the 4 man primals.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Sometimes the roulette wheel spins and you hit zero end up with Chrysalis. Still would rather do that than any ARR leveling dungeon outside of the 4 man primals.

I never do trial roulette because I'm afraid I'll get something I don't remember how to do :ohdear:

Pugging O8S I'm ok with, Ramuh normal I'm afraid of

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Chrysalis, Final Steps, and Susano Normal are the only ones I come across in the trial roulette that seem to pose any consistent issue.

Not to say I haven't seen groups disband on, say, Shiva normal. It's just less likely to happen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But Ramuh only has, like, two or three mechanics: kill adds, pick up three lightning orbs, and get zapped by lightning/zap someone with lightning when you/they are frozen in place by Seduce.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think i've seen disbands on every single primal.

Yes, even Ifrit normal.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Yes, even Ifrit normal.

Wow. I've seen plenty of wipes on Ifrit normal, but they're always followed by someone typing in chat "kill the nail" and then you do it again and the one or two new people manage to figure out the fight's one and only mechanic.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My worst experience was a Titan normal where the healer just couldn't comprehend "don't stand near the edge" or "move out of the aoe marker"

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Regarding WT and time investment, sitting in PF waiting for people to fill in for the ARR primals/ultima/odin, even just a few players, can often take longer than just going by yourself assuming you have a decently geared up Red Mage, Tank, or Healer. Any level 70 DPS should be able to blitz Garuda in a couple minutes, but you're pushing it for some duties and others are outright impossible because of the damage output. Summoner, Black Mage, and Dragoon are your best bets beyond that. Maybe Samurai if you play super conservatively and use your awful self heal as often as possible.

Even some Coil duties aren't worth the wait in PF.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 23, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For primal ex, go ask in FC chat if someone wants to unsync their WTs and buddy up. Each takes a few minutes so even if there's no overlap, you're out maybe 15 minutes to easily strike off 1/3 of your lotto ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Yes, even Ifrit normal.

How do you disband on Ifrit Normal? There's literally one mechanic. :psyduck: