Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I got partway through PnPing it with legos and said gently caress it. I ordered Container off of BoardGameBliss this morning and added their last copy of the climbers to get up to free shipping.

Honestly the big ships are kind of cool. Dumb and a waste of money, but cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ravendas posted:

My three year old loves Animal Upon Animal, which is just a meeple stacking game. They're extra big, so they're easy to grasp and stack. I give her some mulligans when she accidentally nudges one off the top, but other than that she can beat me sometimes.

She can also play half a game of Indigo before losing interest, which is just placing hexes down to slide gems along the paths. She doesn't grasp any strategy yet, but she can figure out the paths on her own.

Then there's things like Don't Spill The Beans, Don't Break The Ice, Cootie and other simple games that are fun for like 5 minutes at a time. I showed her Operation, but the buzzer made her nervous. I'll open up random games that she picks off the shelf, just to play with the components and count pieces and things, so while she's not exactly playing the full game of Chicago Express, she can at least put trains in rows and count them. So that's like halfway there.

I also have a one year old, so my game nights are pretty limited. I figure I'll play the long game and have an in-house boardgaming group in a few years.

Have you seen Meeple Circus? It's a game where you stack things for points. There's a little more complexity to it that Animal Upon Animal, for sure, and I doubt a three-year-old could understand what all the scoring metrics are. But there are three colors of meeples to stacks, some elephants and planks and barrels, unique meeples (like a strongman, a camel, tiger, etc), that honestly you could probably make a really simple game around. Plus the app comes with circus music to play while you stack stuff.

Also when you get done stacking you are required to spread your hands with a flourish and say ta daa!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
FINALLY was able to get a game of Battlecon going yesterday. Had the trials box for a bit now, and we just decided to make an effort to learn the game. It's great. We did the two recommended starter characters and just between the two of them it felt like there's a ton of depth. I could play that same matchup again and again. Really excited to play more of this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I got partway through PnPing it with legos and said gently caress it. I ordered Container off of BoardGameBliss this morning and added their last copy of the climbers to get up to free shipping.

Honestly the big ships are kind of cool. Dumb and a waste of money, but cool.

There’s some real weight and gravitas attaches to each decision as you place the oversized machines, warehouses, and ships on the board.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

This weekend , I introduced my niece to the world of Crossfire and she's a beast, dominated me every game. Never going to play Chinatown with my brother again, he's a math wizard, and can claim the crown as best at the game from me. Yelling out "I summon Ra" with gusto, ala Yugioh summoning Exodia, has become a thing now. And once again in a game of T&E someone asked "what color am I again?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Quixotic1 posted:

in a game of T&E someone asked "what color am I again?"

this is always the best question. :3:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

There are a couple of games that I considering getting and would like people's opinions.

I would like to get New Angeles as I have friends who like negotiation games and have had a lot of fun out of Chinatown and Sidereal Conflence. I also like the co-op/traitor mechanic part.

The other game is Dice Forge as I like dice rolling games and x-building games.

Any thoughts?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I can't speak to either's quality, but Dice Forge just got added to BoardGameArena, so you can give it a try.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I enjoy New Angeles a lot. The traitor absolutely must be kept hidden at all times or the other players will conspire to immediately shut them out of the game. It's also very easy to fall to greed and accidentally lose the game for everyone (except the traitor maybe).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tsietisin posted:

There are a couple of games that I considering getting and would like people's opinions.

I would like to get New Angeles as I have friends who like negotiation games and have had a lot of fun out of Chinatown and Sidereal Conflence. I also like the co-op/traitor mechanic part.

The other game is Dice Forge as I like dice rolling games and x-building games.

Any thoughts?

Haven't played New Angeles, but I do own Dice Forge. It's pretty fun. Dice building feels cool to do, and there are some strategic choices to be made. It's a cool light strategy game with some pretty components and a great central hook. The cards you buy with the resources feel useful and sometimes have some pretty fun impacts. You will be rolling a lot of dice and it is satisfying to build your dice into something that even RNG can't gently caress up too much. It plays really quick, almost too quick to get going it feels like, but it's fun. I'd recommend.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Some friends of mine wanted to try some game called Nemesis (on Tabletop Simulator) for the first time and I agreed to give it a shot. The designers clearly didn’t spend time balancing the different objectives, success or failure was random, one player died and sat out for the last third of the game, and the rules felt like pieces were missing or mistranslated. There was nothing interesting or compelling about the game besides the art.

Of course, after finishing the game and giving my critique, my friend said that he had already pledged on Kickstarter. :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Medium Style posted:

Some friends of mine wanted to try some game called Nemesis (on Tabletop Simulator) for the first time and I agreed to give it a shot. The designers clearly didn’t spend time balancing the different objectives, success or failure was random, one player died and sat out for the last third of the game, and the rules felt like pieces were missing or mistranslated. There was nothing interesting or compelling about the game besides the art.

Of course, after finishing the game and giving my critique, my friend said that he had already pledged on Kickstarter. :(
This is the Alien-esque boardgame, right? Not honestly surprised if that's the case.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Dice forge is getting an expansion, which I feel is really needed. The game is super neat but very shallow, hoping the expansion pulls it up to that next level for me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bodanarko posted:

Dice forge is getting an expansion, which I feel is really needed. The game is super neat but very shallow, hoping the expansion pulls it up to that next level for me.

oh yeah that is huge, I'll have to check it out. It's definitely a game where you feel like you've seen everything the game has to offer very quickly. The cards you get could use some real variety.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tsietisin posted:

New Angeles was worse than a lot of the semi-co op/traitor element games out there, although it was a bit long ago that I don't remember the specific reasons why. I think I recall that the reasons to negotiate/work together just seemed incredibly weak and that it was pretty fiddly to play. I do distinctly recall being rather disengaged with it and just wishing I were playing Archipelago instead, so get Archipelago instead.

It's not as bad as Shadow Over Camelot though, so that's something?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rutibex posted:

Who has been talking smack about Feast for Odin? I thought we were better than that

Memememememe! I've been talking smack about AFfO!!!
:mmmsmug:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Some biggish news for fans of GMT games:

quote:

Playdek, the award-winning digital board game developer and publisher, along with GMT Games, the board gaming leader for strategy and war games, today announced the launch of a long term partnership that will see Playdek developing digital adaptations of some of GMT’s most beloved series of games, as well as key titles from their extensive catalog. The ultimate goal of the partnership is to bring the best strategy games and global favorites to hobby gamers worldwide, building a global community of online digital strategy gamers.

The first products announced to come from the partnership are Labyrinth: The War on Terror, from acclaimed designer and intelligence analyst Volko Ruhnke; Imperial Struggle, from Ananda Gupta and Jason Matthews, the award winning designers of Twilight Struggle; and the COIN Series line of games, created by Volko Ruhnke and expanded upon by other strategy genre designers. The first COIN game will be announced in the future, as will additional product lines to come from the partnership.

Get ready to see more of their games on digital platforms from the sound of it. Very excited to see COIN making apperances. Hopefully their implementation is well done!

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Tekopo posted:

This is the Alien-esque boardgame, right? Not honestly surprised if that's the case.

Yes, that’s the one. It looked really cool and mechanically it was maybe a step up from Dead of Winter or Betrayal at the House, but most of the design was seriously low effort.

Each player has a secret objective that they need to complete before time runs out. One player had “do X” while another (the one that died early) had “do X and also Y”, just straight up harder, DoW style.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Some biggish news for fans of GMT games:

Get ready to see more of their games on digital platforms from the sound of it. Very excited to see COIN making apperances. Hopefully their implementation is well done!

Oh drat, this means we might not ever get super deluxe twilight struggle or other games ever again! :ohdear: I would pay $150 for a super deluxe a distant plain edition

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't one of you guys playtesting Imp Struggle? Did the bugs ever get worked out, I remember reading somewhere it needed some fairly large revisions from draft 1.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

All the serious gamers I know who’ve been looking forward to the reprint have been talking about SEVEN INCH SHIPS
Maybe that guy already has a big dick and doesn't have to compensate.
*pushes Gloomhaven under the table*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pierzak posted:

Maybe that guy already has a big dick and doesn't have to compensate.
*pushes Gloomhaven under the table*

On which note, in Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy every male character apart from one has three testicles.

The exception is a guy who has five.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Digital COINs rules, even if I am mad that Twilight Struggle is iPad only and these will be too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Digital COINs rules, even if I am mad that Twilight Struggle is iPad only and these will be too.

Twilight Struggle is on Android too though?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
But TS is for PC as well, isn't it? And Playdek designed it! (Is the digital version any good?)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/406290/Twilight_Struggle/

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone know of a cooperative worker-placement eurogame (or a fanmade variant with reports I could read)? Like Agricola but all players' VPs are totaled and the goal is to both get as many VPs as possible and facilitate it for other players, so it's OK to make a bad move where another player gains more than you lose? Possibly with restricted communication so it's not too easy to avoid blocking others. Seems simple to make a variant like that, but I haven't seen any in practice.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
TS is on Android phones. It's even not too bad. The only board game I've ever been disappointed with on a phone is Terra Mystica. If you knew it going in I'm sure it's fine, but it felt like too much game to effectively learn on a phone-sized screen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah I know it's on Steam/Android, I meant as an iOS guy it's annoying that it is only available on tablets despite being on Android phones.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

How is Liberty or Death as an introductory COIN game? Also how is it for 2 players?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

How is Liberty or Death as an introductory COIN game? Also how is it for 2 players?
Wouldn’t recommend because it’s singularly unlike many other COINs. It works better with 2 than 4. If you want an intro COIN specifically for two, I would recommend Colonial Twilight

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Liberty or Death works well 2p as you can control allied factions and they have shared victory conditions. It has a fair amount of chrome though so for an introductory 2p game Colonial Twilight would be your best bet. Still, if you really enjoy the time period you could probably grok LoD just fine if you're used to some level of complexity in your Euros/wargames.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Anyone know of a cooperative worker-placement eurogame (or a fanmade variant with reports I could read)? Like Agricola but all players' VPs are totaled and the goal is to both get as many VPs as possible and facilitate it for other players, so it's OK to make a bad move where another player gains more than you lose? Possibly with restricted communication so it's not too easy to avoid blocking others. Seems simple to make a variant like that, but I haven't seen any in practice.

The only real coop WP I can name is Robinson Crusoe, but you aren't gaining VP there. Also it's not great.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Medium Style posted:

Yes, that’s the one. It looked really cool and mechanically it was maybe a step up from Dead of Winter or Betrayal at the House, but most of the design was seriously low effort.

Each player has a secret objective that they need to complete before time runs out. One player had “do X” while another (the one that died early) had “do X and also Y”, just straight up harder, DoW style.

Awww, drat, I got drunk and pre-ordered this because it looked cool, only time I've done something so foolish. Maybe I'll be able to sell it?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tekopo posted:

Wouldn’t recommend because it’s singularly unlike many other COINs.
How so? Also, to be clear, by "introductory" I don't mean something that prepares me for other COIN games so much as something that won't make me entirely lost if I haven't played one before.

Thanks for the advice. Not sure when/if I'll be getting any of them, but the conversation reminded me that I've been meaning to, and LoD's theme interested me the most.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Pierzak posted:

Orleans with its cooperative expansion (Invasion) comes kinda close, but it's not a worker placement.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pierzak posted:

Kitchen Rush is a co-operative worker placement game. But it probably doesn't fit with your desires because it focuses more upon real-time gameplay rather than turn-based gameplay. This means each worker in Kitchen Rush is a small hourglass, and they are able to take another action the moment the hourglass is empty.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

How so? Also, to be clear, by "introductory" I don't mean something that prepares me for other COIN games so much as something that won't make me entirely lost if I haven't played one before.

Thanks for the advice. Not sure when/if I'll be getting any of them, but the conversation reminded me that I've been meaning to, and LoD's theme interested me the most.
Even then I wouldn’t really recommend it, it adds a lot of chrome for battles, different tracks etc. The COINs you want to make the easiest entry is Cuba Libre or Colonial Twilight.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Car Hater posted:

Awww, drat, I got drunk and pre-ordered this because it looked cool, only time I've done something so foolish. Maybe I'll be able to sell it?

The two other players, including one that hasn’t backed it, both liked it well enough. They agreed with most of my critique but still thought it was cool. It is a very “cool” game and would be better if they clean up the rules and language. If you think you’d enjoy it, then enjoy it. My opinion is based on one play and I have a low tolerance for those kinds of games anyway.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I hope that they include the bots, since Twilight Struggle's AI can't really beat you after 2-3 games. If they do I'm in for one non-LoD COIN blind, others more cautiously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Axios is reporting that Asmodee is in exclusive negotiation to change hands from its current private equity firm to another private equity firm. Warning that this article is terrible.