Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
also as far as battle themes in games go, this one's going to be stuck on my brain forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVxrBTBE4t0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there a no-story-spoilers list anywhere for what you need to do to unlock the endgame?

Also, am I going to be sad in said endgame if I've only been focusing on four characters for my team?

GameXplain made this and the title claims it is spoiler free, though I haven't personally watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkrDYO3iWI

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MMF Freeway posted:

What do you guys think the best order to tackle the advanced job bosses is? Sounds like doing runelord before warmaster is a gimme

I did Archmage, then Starseer first with the Cleric reflect strategy. I'm still trying to work something out for Runelord and Warmaster.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Hi goons. Just got this and it is very good.

1. Is there negative repercussions to provoking and mauling rando villagers with my pokemon?

2. I am notoriously terrible with job systems. Is there a chart of what to give who when I get there? Not that I will be for ages.

3. I have 3 characters, I should just circle the world and get them all correct? Or should I continue my first story when I'm level appropriate?

1) If you gently caress up and get owned you get a failure, 5 failures is rep down in the city (can't perform path actions in that city until you go pay the bar)
2) There are very few ways to gently caress it up honestly. As a general rule you can be like "Magic people get other magic classes, Attackers get other attacking classes, fast people get fast classes)
3) Ultimately, it's your choice! but you will probably need to collect them all to reach the proper level for next chapters

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

MMF Freeway posted:

What do you guys think the best order to tackle the advanced job bosses is? Sounds like doing runelord before warmaster is a gimme

That combination is recommended and I would personally also recommend Starseer before Sorceror for the Starseer ability that locks out enemy buffs and ally debuffs. If you have the necessary skills learned, I would recommend getting the job in my spoiler there first as it has a good passive for leveling up.

ChaosArgate posted:

I did Archmage, then Starseer first with the Cleric reflect strategy. I'm still trying to work something out for Runelord and Warmaster.

The strategy you were using earlier is what I did for Runemaster at mid 20s levels, but you might want to add a second Merchant who also stacks Sidesteps on him/herself and also Saving Grace on everyone so that you can endure hits when the AoE phase starts. Another helpful thing is running double Apothecaries so they can stack Rehabilitate on each other to prevent nasty statuses from sticking.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Licarn posted:

Primrose wanted to help find it, because it was an item of significance from the kid's deceased parent.

Okay, that's true! But I can't help but picture Primrose tapping her feet really hard when Ophilia wants to take a break to go play with these random kids.

Bombadilillo posted:

Hi goons. Just got this and it is very good.

1. Is there negative repercussions to provoking and mauling rando villagers with my pokemon?

2. I am notoriously terrible with job systems. Is there a chart of what to give who when I get there? Not that I will be for ages.

3. I have 3 characters, I should just circle the world and get them all correct? Or should I continue my first story when I'm level appropriate?

The job system is really good for people who can't decide on stuff. You earn shared job points that can be used to buy skills on any job, so you don't have to spend time grinding up low-level jobs, and you unlock passives that can be equipped no matter which job you're on by buying the active skills. I've gone around and bought enough skills so I have good passives on each of my characters, and then I swap around the subjobs depending on the party makeup. Primrose is usually a cleric, but when Cyrus is out of the party or Ophilia joins us, she'll do scholar or something else.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kashuno posted:

2) There are very few ways to gently caress it up honestly. As a general rule you can be like "Magic people get other magic classes, Attackers get other attacking classes, fast people get fast classes)

To expand on this too, the Job System is super lenient in that to progress in a job, you just pay JP you've accumulated on a character. The JP is not class-specific, so you can earn 1000 JP with Tressa in her default Merchant class, give her Thief and learn 2-3 skills, then swap over to Hunter and learn another 2-3 skills, etc. You also don't have to learn skills in the order displayed: Scholar has fire and ice by default, and the next one on the list is lightning, but you could skip lightning to get Analyze instead and come back for it later.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the thing this game really needs is a way to fix my brain's ability to remember NPC locations because god dammit I know I've talked to the guy who got in a fight with his mother, but where is he

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

euphronius posted:

Does anyone have a handy list of passive skill targets before unlocking the 4 expert classes?

As far as passives go, having Persistence (1st Cleric)/The Show Goes On(1st Dancer)/Saving Grace(4th Cleric) on everyone is super helpful for those fights. Resist Ailments(3rd Apothecary) is also useful for a couple.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

GameXplain made this and the title claims it is spoiler free, though I haven't personally watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkrDYO3iWI

It's GameXplain so saying that they made that is at best a 50/50 proposition

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Broke: Pick jobs that complement the characters' base moveset
Woke: Pick the jobs with the cutest costumes

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ChaosArgate posted:

To expand on this too, the Job System is super lenient in that to progress in a job, you just pay JP you've accumulated on a character. The JP is not class-specific, so you can earn 1000 JP with Tressa in her default Merchant class, give her Thief and learn 2-3 skills, then swap over to Hunter and learn another 2-3 skills, etc. You also don't have to learn skills in the order displayed: Scholar has fire and ice by default, and the next one on the list is lightning, but you could skip lightning to get Analyze instead and come back for it later.

Oh that's super cool. Not locked in is very good.

So basically you just get a bigger and bigger pool of skills to give people. In addition to actually using the class.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The strategy you were using earlier is what I did for Runemaster at mid 20s levels, but you might want to add a second Merchant who also stacks Sidesteps on him/herself and also Saving Grace on everyone so that you can endure hits when the AoE phase starts. Another helpful thing is running double Apothecaries so they can stack Rehabilitate on each other to prevent nasty statuses from sticking.

Where's the bulk of your damage coming from with this strategy? When I tried it earlier, the bulk of my damage was coming from Scholar Divine applied to Cyrus, along with Peacock Strut to make the Sorcerer spells as strong as can be for when Runelord was broken. That got me ~15000 per break.

Bombadilillo posted:

So basically you just get a bigger and bigger pool of skills to give people. In addition to actually using the class.

Yeah. Any support skills you learn on a character are free to use whenever, class skills that you use in battle are locked to that class, so anyone can use Scholar's ability to get into less fights on the overworld, but only Scholars can use the Analyze skill.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the thing this game really needs is a way to fix my brain's ability to remember NPC locations because god dammit I know I've talked to the guy who got in a fight with his mother, but where is he

oh man I feel this.

*in the middle of Ch3*"Wow if only I had someone to give me a push in the right direction!"
*remembers back to Ch1 inquiring some rando who it turns out would give direction*
*revisits every town from Ch1 and inquire everyone to find him again

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, and the skills start out really cheap. So like, when I unlocked warrior, first thing I did was give it to Therion for ten seconds, bought 3 skills for 30+100+500JP, and he gets the bonus physical damage passive. If I want to make him a hunter or whatever, he can still have the damage passive assigned, and he just loses access to the active warrior skills in favor of whatever active skills I've bought him on hunter. Usually you can get all the important actives in a class pretty cheaply, I can't think of any character who I've really cared about the next active skill once it hits 3000JP. So it's easy enough to make your Therion competent with 5 different classes if you want. The only real investment is if you really want to get the Divine skill at the end, and by that time you've probably decided on a main subclass.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Your Computer posted:

also as far as battle themes in games go, this one's going to be stuck on my brain forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVxrBTBE4t0

Yeah, this song is really good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kashuno posted:

oh man I feel this.

*in the middle of Ch3*"Wow if only I had someone to give me a push in the right direction!"
*remembers back to Ch1 inquiring some rando who it turns out would give direction*
*revisits every town from Ch1 and inquire everyone to find him again

This is why I have no qualms about using the google doc as a guide to help me on these quests. I'm doing my best to avoid using it (and I've done a pretty good job so far!) but sometimes it's just not happening.

Also I'm frequently amused when I go back to a level 1 town that I hadn't actually returned to before and someone has a sidequest for an item that was on like the other side of the world and I just happen to have it on me because I'm an absolute klepto.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ChaosArgate posted:

Where's the bulk of your damage coming from with this strategy? When I tried it earlier, the bulk of my damage was coming from Scholar Divine applied to Cyrus, along with Peacock Strut to make the Sorcerer spells as strong as can be for when Runelord was broken. That got me ~15000 per break.

Yeah. Any support skills you learn on a character are free to use whenever, class skills that you use in battle are locked to that class, so anyone can use Scholar's ability to get into less fights on the overworld, but only Scholars can use the Analyze skill.

All of my damage was coming from Empoison, because no one in my team could do real damage to the Runelord in the mid 20s otherwise. The rest of the action economy was all about staying alive, staying healthy, keeping as many Sidesteps stacked as possible, boosting BP with Merchants or Alfyn Concocts, etc.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

This is why I have no qualms about using the google doc as a guide to help me on these quests. I'm doing my best to avoid using it (and I've done a pretty good job so far!) but sometimes it's just not happening.

Also I'm frequently amused when I go back to a level 1 town that I hadn't actually returned to before and someone has a sidequest for an item that was on like the other side of the world and I just happen to have it on me because I'm an absolute klepto.

Octopath Traveler: What If I Need It Later?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The spreadsheet needs to be added to the OP.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So uh, Warbringer is the first shrine I came across. Got her down to less than half health then she got like 20 turns in a row and nothing mattered anymore

Is there a timer on the fight or does the game expect anyone to actually survive that because I can't see anything living and that's kiiinda dumb not gonna lie

I think the game expects you to guard break them to cancel their upcoming big hit like you do with other bosses, which is what I did.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What can I say.... I'm always looking for a bargain!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Octopath Traveler: It Has a 100% Steal Chance, Might As Well

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have several good ideas for fanart which I will make when I can stop playing this game. So, I'll let you know in a week or two when I can get started on that

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

It owns really hard. I've never heard of the composer before but if I didn't know any better I would swear that several of these tracks were composed by Revo and they're giving me the exact same good feels.

like god drat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG5MgqqL9cI

I am partial to this awesome waltz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LNu6LbKRmU

Also, I thought the boss theme for the very first demo was fuckin' fantastic and that nothing could top it and was then proven spectacularly wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD3IPLxPemk

Speaking of the bosses, I really love that their boss battle humongous sprites has animation to them. That's such a small little detail, but it really really does wonders for immersing myself into the world.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

Speaking of the bosses, I really love that their boss battle humongous sprites has animation to them. That's such a small little detail, but it really really does wonders for immersing myself into the world.

heckin' :same:

Also I absolutely love the gigantic sprites just in general. I've seen a lot of backlash against them from people who think that they should have their in-game sprites and I just... I just can't understand it. The sprites are incredibly awesome and well made (some are holy-poo poo-tier pixel artwork) and it's such a cute throwback to the old JRPGs.

e: also Cyrus' theme is extremely good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tall rear end butler is good.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bombadilillo posted:

Tall rear end butler is good.

That was funny to me because I started with H'aanit, then did Ophelia, and their tall-rear end bosses made sense. And then I ventured into Ravus Manor...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zoran posted:

That was funny to me because I started with H'aanit, then did Ophelia, and their tall-rear end bosses made sense. And then I ventured into Ravus Manor...

I started there and was just shocked. Now it makes sense because of the style. But I like it, especially with adds you always know the boss.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I like when you go through a dungeon and some of the enemies are just the regular enemies but with more flair.

Ah yes I see, this skeleton is harder because he has a hat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

I like when you go through a dungeon and some of the enemies are just the regular enemies but with more flair.

Ah yes I see, this skeleton is harder because he has a hat.

They do this throughout the game and it's beautiful. :allears:

a frog

a frog with a spear

a frog with some armor and a spear

a frog in a full suit of medieval armor and a huge halberd

I'm expecting the endgame zones to have gigantic ripped god-frogs with twinblades or something

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

heckin' :same:

Also I absolutely love the gigantic sprites just in general. I've seen a lot of backlash against them from people who think that they should have their in-game sprites and I just... I just can't understand it. The sprites are incredibly awesome and well made (some are holy-poo poo-tier pixel artwork) and it's such a cute throwback to the old JRPGs.

e: also Cyrus' theme is extremely good

It's oh so very good on my ears. I also really like his pre-boss theme.

And also :same: in regards to the sprites in general. All the little details makes it clear the game was made to be how we imagined those old-school JRPGs to be and not how they actually was and the game is all the better for it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

forgot I had the Amnesiac Girl NPC in my party and completely came across her true family by accident to complete her sidequest lol.

Also there was this small area near the Up To No Good sidequest wherein in leads nowhere but you can fight these tough rat enemies for shitloads of exp. I was exploring the area trying to see if it actually went anywhere, and I don't think it does but in the process those fights bumped me up 2 whole leves.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cyrus is so nice to everyone in his conversations, even complimenting them in his internal monologue. It's not his fault he's beautiful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was worried that Cyrus would be a standard stuck-up jackass who's very "intelligent" and acts like a dick to everyone less educated than he is.

Instead he's just a super nice guy who wants to share knowledge with everyone but has absolutely no social intelligence at all. His path action is a rogue action not because it's unethical, illegal, or even particularly mean, but because he's just being super nosy and sometimes people get annoyed.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I was worried that Cyrus would be a standard stuck-up jackass who's very "intelligent" and acts like a dick to everyone less educated than he is.

Instead he's just a super nice guy who wants to share knowledge with everyone but has absolutely no social intelligence at all.

:yeah:

The characters are all very endearing. Even Ophilia who I assumed would be really boring actually has some super cute dialogue with the other characters :kimchi: I'm also stoked that we finally got a JRPG without the near ubiquitous womanizer character (who I totally expected Cyrus to be).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Your Computer posted:

They do this throughout the game and it's beautiful. :allears:

a frog

a frog with a spear

a frog with some armor and a spear

a frog in a full suit of medieval armor and a huge halberd

I'm expecting the endgame zones to have gigantic ripped god-frogs with twinblades or something

Frog Darth Maul

Your Computer posted:

:yeah:

(who I totally expected Cyrus to be).

They really flipped the script on this one, and it’s amazing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so mad at Olberic's chapter 4 boss!!! Those weren't your terms! You didn't make terms! You just yelled "nuh uh you didn't win" and killed yourself! Everyone is laughing at you idiot!!!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay what the heck, I was okay with everyone in the wood town where Haanit is from to speak in ye olde because you know, maybe that's just the dialect of the region. But now EVERY town you go to in her chapters speak in tongue, even if all the inhabitants speak normally when you visit outside of the story.

I don't know if it's always been going on but very lately I've noticed so many JRPGs where the translation team take a strange amount of creative liberties with the script

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

What can I say.... I'm always looking for a bargain!

I suppose "free" is a bargain, yes.

I beat the runeblade today and it turns out that strategy doesn't matter a whole lot when you can do ~125k damage in a turn when they're broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't know if it's always been going on but very lately I've noticed so many JRPGs where the translation team take a strange amount of creative liberties with the script

Have you heard of my man, Ted Woolsey