Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hello darkness my old friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

hello darkness my old friend

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Last semester I pulled the handles on my math class because I was failing and had no idea what was happening. Just finished the accelerated summer version of the same course, and guess who got an "A?" This guy.

Old dogs can learn.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Anyone want to split rent on a house in Hamden CT or know anyone who does. Alternatively what roommate finding sites have anyone of you had the best luck with? Every roommate I’ve had has either been someone from my flight or a friend of someone from my flight.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hamden is full off weathy QU students and a plethora of idiots. I wouldn’t hold high hopes for finding a good roommate but I’ll ask around.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're going to SCSU, ask Jack. He can put out an email blast to the vet list if you can't find a normal roommate.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Nah I’m going to QU so I’ve been eyeing the houses closer to campus but most of the people going to QU seem to be commuting from other parts of CT or living on campus. My one excursion into Hamden has lead me to believe I really don’t want a heroine addicted townie as a roommate.

Edit: Being in a bar back on the east coast brought back memories about how it’s somehow legal and acceptable to bring your kids into a bar which lead to the amazing scene of a large drunk man who moments earlier was yelling at the bartendress who was wearing a 9 line apearal “I stand for the anthem” shirt teach a small child how to brush her teeth because he is apparently the town “dentist”.

It’s going to be a long six years.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 1, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Look into living in Westville or Woodbridge. You'll still have a commute but the prices should be reasonable enough. I lived in Westville for 6 years but I went to SCSU so it was a short distance for me. Woodbridge is just far enough out of range to avoid price gouging, or at least it was years ago.

That particular region of CT is a fun mix; you go from surburban hellscape with near million dollar homes to the absolute ghetto in two blocks.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Well, what an interesting week it has been...

Log into my school poo poo to update / confirm my financial poo poo and make sure I am squared away for fall semester, and lo and behold everything is hosed up.
Go and raise hell to see what's going on, actually get pleasant response from the Bursar's office and the situation is unfucked in 10 minutes.
Log back in to make sure situation is truly unfucked, and see an email from one of my professors as well as my Adviser:

Professor wants me to be a lab aide because I helped my classmate unfuck themselves in circuits.
The Mechatronics program I was #5 on the wait list for (anticipated entry date into program Fall 2019) has a slot open for me THIS fall.

When I complete these classes this semester, I will have the technical certificate to get into making tiny circuit boards and poo poo, and a paid internship with a 95% chance of hire) is already lined up!

I am paranoid. poo poo is going too well...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

MrDesaude posted:

Well, what an interesting week it has been...

Log into my school poo poo to update / confirm my financial poo poo and make sure I am squared away for fall semester, and lo and behold everything is hosed up.
Go and raise hell to see what's going on, actually get pleasant response from the Bursar's office and the situation is unfucked in 10 minutes.
Log back in to make sure situation is truly unfucked, and see an email from one of my professors as well as my Adviser:

Professor wants me to be a lab aide because I helped my classmate unfuck themselves in circuits.
The Mechatronics program I was #5 on the wait list for (anticipated entry date into program Fall 2019) has a slot open for me THIS fall.

When I complete these classes this semester, I will have the technical certificate to get into making tiny circuit boards and poo poo, and a paid internship with a 95% chance of hire) is already lined up!

I am paranoid. poo poo is going too well...

It always feels like the other boot is going to drop. It might not.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Soulex posted:

It always feels like the other boot is going to drop. It might not.

Took me a long time to get over this and accept that just because good things happen, it doesn't necessarily mean bad things have to. Attributing misfortune as an inevitably of good fortune puts happiness out of reach.

That's pretty awesome though. I sat in my advisors microelectronics lab cause I had too many conflicts to hit up the class as well and it was pretty cool. I hosed up my PCB when I used the wrong circuit drawing to set up my AVR though. Was REALLY bummed.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah gently caress the military. After a month at my summer internship I realized that skating was not a big deal at all as long as you got your work done.

For that whole first month I was expecting a phonecall from my supervisor asking where the gently caress I was.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah gently caress the military. After a month at my summer internship I realized that skating was not a big deal at all as long as you got your work done.

For that whole first month I was expecting a phonecall from my supervisor asking where the gently caress I was.

loving same.

First audit trip our luggage got lost and put on a cancelled flight so Monday we couldn’t make it until 1:30pm and we missed the entrance interview.

I was certain that I was hosed six ways to Sunday because I didn’t pack a suit in my carry on.

Nope, never heard a thing about it. Took me several days to shake the feeling that I had some poo poo coming my way.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Taylor Series can blow me
Maclaurin too

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DownByTheWooter posted:

Maclaurin too

That's about when I realized math isn't my thing

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I liked her one song about shaking it off

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

DownByTheWooter posted:

Maclaurin too

Don't forget to use Paul's Online Math Notes, I find he explains things better than the teacher some times. But I am hating this summer math class I am in, it's only Differential Equations, which isn't terrible, but I don't come from a strong math background and would have liked more time with the material. That and there is only a week and a half left and I am doing my damnedest to not completely check out yet. I know if I start Octopath Traveler I may as well just give up on my summer semester.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Iain posted:

Differential Equations
TRIGGERED

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Iain posted:

Don't forget to use Paul's Online Math Notes, I find he explains things better than the teacher some times. But I am hating this summer math class I am in, it's only Differential Equations, which isn't terrible, but I don't come from a strong math background and would have liked more time with the material. That and there is only a week and a half left and I am doing my damnedest to not completely check out yet. I know if I start Octopath Traveler I may as well just give up on my summer semester.

Jesus loving Christ!
Why would you do that to yourself?
I mean, that is 3 days of Duty self loathing.

Differential Equations in Summer School.
gently caress man!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Don't hate on differential equations.

Linear algebra, on the other hand...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Linear algebra made me rethink doing anything math heavy

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Anything past basic calculus just leads to boring stuff you don't need anyways.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I still haven’t passed multivariable calc

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I almost died on the Calc III hill, but after that I had no problems with DiffEq, Linear, or Discrete... right up until, of all things, Probability, huge sections of which I could not loving wrap my head around. I had assumed it would be a breeze, a nice easy way to wind down my time in school.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

Don't hate on differential equations.

Linear algebra, on the other hand...

Man if you think regular linear algebra is harder than DiffEq what is wrong with you. Abstract Linear Algebra...now there was a course I never want to see again.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have a week and a final of this Calc II left and I am very glad for it. I did very poorly in math in high school, so I had to start my college math journey by taking remedial algebra evening classes on the navy base where I was stationed maybe 13 or 14 years ago, up through the trigonometry and all that basic stuff for years with various community colleges. For a long time, I really avoided math and thought I couldn't do it. This Calc II is the highest math I need for my major, though, so I've just about reached my summit in terms of math study.

really looking forward to immediately forgetting all of it next week

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I never took any level of calc and I’m cool with that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I did a fair amount of stats in my undergrad/grad programs (2 + 3) and I realized within two weeks of working with actual for-real statisticians that it's best if I leave the numbers to those nerds and just manage them instead.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Stats and Design of Experiments feels pretty easy now, I'm much more comfortable there than Calc and also use it more when reading papers.

Spent last fall watching YouTube videos on statistics at 1.5x with a friend to catch up with everyone. They all started with "Stats is really hard so don't get depressed and kill yourself, you're still really intelligent!".

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

EBB posted:

Man if you think regular linear algebra is harder than DiffEq what is wrong with you. Abstract Linear Algebra...now there was a course I never want to see again.

I did abstract algebra last semester and oh boy was that not fun. I'm going to finish off my math minor with a class called "Discrete Dynamical Systems and Chaos" this fall so I hope it won't be a total struggle. Sounds interesting though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I kinda checked out after Real Analysis and switched my focus to stats and applied math.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

I did abstract algebra last semester and oh boy was that not fun. I'm going to finish off my math minor with a class called "Discrete Dynamical Systems and Chaos" this fall so I hope it won't be a total struggle. Sounds interesting though.

Be careful if the syllabus has a power drill as recommended equipment.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Be careful if the syllabus has a power drill as recommended equipment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My calc ii class was much harder than calc iii. Calc iii was a breeze for me. I didn’t take anything past that because i only needed 9 upper level math credits for a minor and calc 1-3 did it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Underrated GI Bill perk? Using leftover benefits to use as leverage to pivot jobs.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Underrated GI Bill perk? Using leftover benefits to use as leverage to pivot jobs.

Oh poo poo I never thought about that. I have an interview coming up for my dream job, and will definitely bring up my unused GI Bill benefits.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Grem posted:

Oh poo poo I never thought about that. I have an interview coming up for my dream job, and will definitely bring up my unused GI Bill benefits.

"I could take your job, or I could just use my funbux to get a Masters and work at a pizza place". My argument, which allowed me to get, in writing, a guarantee that the company would make my work schedule flexible to finish said MS.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The thought to leverage my GI Bill never once occurred to me. And now it has, just in time for negotiations to come up in August.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
While that's a very clever idea, I would also tread carefully in negotiations unless you know the opposing party well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a minimum salary that I’m willing to accept based on what entry level right out of college with zero work experience makes, plus taking heavily into consideration the cost of living in the area I want to live in (anywhere not south of the 495 is my baseline at this point). If it’s lower than that I’ll walk and go back to a lower cost of living area and have exponentially more disposable income (but a lower ceiling).

If they offer that number or above, I’ll take it with no negotiations. If they don’t, I’m not sure how to say it’s not enough. If they ask my expected salary I’ll tell them a little higher than what I want just to see if they take the bait.

I figure since I’m entry level I don’t have much leverage in any type of negotiation.