Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Recoil is a small price to pay for 120 power and 100 accuracy. Most types would kill for a similar move with wide distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I sort of don't want to know the answer to this.... but, we've only got like 3 out of 30 badges right? This isn't going to end any time soon right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RyuHimora posted:

Fire punch/fang also exist... but still :smith: for physical fire types. Flareon, we hardly knew ye.

phanton edit: wait, if it's rock, could it get rock head to negate damage from flame impact?

it doesn't have hands, or fangs, so it doesn't get either of those. It gets blaze kick and a exclusive 100% accuracy 80 bp rock move.

WrightOfWay posted:

Recoil is a small price to pay for 120 power and 100 accuracy. Most types would kill for a similar move with wide distribution.

In a competitive environment where your pokemon are healed to full after battle, yes. For a normal pokemon playthrough? No.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I sort of don't want to know the answer to this.... but, we've only got like 3 out of 30 badges right? This isn't going to end any time soon right?

It's not even finished yet. If I had to guess, I'd say with this being episode 17, it's done up to the 17th gym. When it releases, e18 will probably cover through to the last, e19 being the end of the main game and e20 adding post-game content.

Can't say for sure, but that seems like the most reasonable way to break it up into "episodes" like they're doing. Which is why I'm probably wrong.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.
I do have a question about the "No Spoilers" thing.

Can it be something that already would have been seen by now, or is everything off the table? For example, if there was a sidequest that you could get to right now, but you've either missed it, overlooked it, or are saving it for later, would it be okay to talk about it (in spoiler tags, if need be)?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

F14m3rz posted:

I do have a question about the "No Spoilers" thing.

Can it be something that already would have been seen by now, or is everything off the table? For example, if there was a sidequest that you could get to right now, but you've either missed it, overlooked it, or are saving it for later, would it be okay to talk about it (in spoiler tags, if need be)?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

SPOILER POLICY: No spoilers, nothing, don't hint at events, don't hint at characters, don't hint at gameplay concepts, let people be surprised by this. No tags. No "there's a character that punches a goat later"-type half hint half straight spoiler. Nothing. No spoilers.

Seems pretty cut and dry. Not sure how you can mess up "nothing".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonatrix posted:

It's not even finished yet. If I had to guess, I'd say with this being episode 17, it's done up to the 17th gym. When it releases, e18 will probably cover through to the last, e19 being the end of the main game and e20 adding post-game content.

Can't say for sure, but that seems like the most reasonable way to break it up into "episodes" like they're doing. Which is why I'm probably wrong.

E17 added the 15th and 16th gyms, so you're a little off.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

KataraniSword posted:

Seems pretty cut and dry. Not sure how you can mess up "nothing".

Yeah, I saw that. I just don't know whether that means "You can't talk about anything that's going to happen in the future", "You can't talk about something that's already happened, or was missed", or "You can't talk about anything that wasn't directly mentioned by the Let's Play, period".

Because a part of a sidequest was seen in one of the posts, and it could have been (and could still be) done right now, but I don't know if saying what it is or how to initiate it is against the rules. I'm not even sure if mentioning that it exists in the first place is against the rules either; that's how clueless I am.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Just assume I do it later because I missed the stupidly obscure trigger, or forgot to actually get to it, unless when I get the 16th badge it's pretty clear I've not gotten to it.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just assume I do it later because I missed the stupidly obscure trigger, or forgot to actually get to it, unless when I get the 16th badge it's pretty clear I've not gotten to it.

That's fair, I've had my fair share of "Wait, I had to do that to get this?!?!" moments plenty of times in my playthroughs of this game (and sometimes they just wouldn't work because it simply wouldn't work like in my first playthrough of E15). It was actually this Let's Play where I learned how to get Bounsweet's event; I had no idea how to find that thing (and I just didn't feel like going through the trouble of looking it up).

So onto another question: What if there's a piece of dialogue that was available in the past, but isn't now due to how many gym badges you have right now, said lore connects to one of the characters (one that we've met already), and it's mostly just a theory due it being unsubstantiated by the end of E17?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just don't talk about anything OFS hasn't shown off. The rest of us won't know what you're referring to anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If it's Shade's interview it basically does not matter because that would mean something would have payoff before E9,000 or whenever all this poo poo concludes.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Hmm... all right, I'll save it until later.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kurieg posted:

it doesn't have hands, or fangs, so it doesn't get either of those. It gets blaze kick and a exclusive 100% accuracy 80 bp rock move.

In a competitive environment where your pokemon are healed to full after battle, yes. For a normal pokemon playthrough? No.

In a normal playthrough you can just... use healing items on it? It's not like money is that hard to come by. Usually. In a proper Pokemon game anyway. In other words not this one. I don't know how hard it is to get money in Sage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Stopping after every single battle to heal and revive my suicidal starter seems incredibly tedious compared to just using flamethrower.

Also some of it is just a bad feels thing, I don't like having my pokefriends bash their own heads in if I can avoid it.
:shrug:

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 24, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"The police are going to be looking for us. They probably know we're going to try and escape the city, so the exits will be sealed. But this tunnel happens to run underneath the city, and comes out right in the Chrysolia region. And it just so happens my sisters have a house there. We can lay low there until things cool down."

Of course, because I'm the least useful and competent person here, I have to smash the rock.

Dr. Connal is standing smugly on the bridge, apparently having noticed long before the rest of us that the cops ain't exactly hustling.

Then the super-edgy admin from our first encounter with Team Meteor shows up and proposes a team-up with Dr. Connal.

His name is Sirius, I don't know why the game takes so long to tell you. It's not some dramatic mystery who he is.

Oh he actually says what you're thinking.

Sirius would be a goddamn parody if he weren't also playing it completely straight.

And they come across that closed gate from earlier.

Just like before, Heather is saying absolutely nothing.

"And his eyes are pitch black- isn't that so cool?!"
"Anna, his eyes aren't black."
"Yeah, they are! They're like black holes into his soul~"
"Sigh..."

(she's psychic)

Hey

this is handy

you'll see why before the update's over even.

"What's it for, anyway?"
"Um, I- I think I know...

(blah blah blah collapsed a decade ago)

"So then it won't open because it's probably still hooked up to the old power plant."
"Old power plant? Wait a second! That's where Mr. Shadow lives! I bet if someone went up there and asked him to turn it back on, he would!"

The creepypasta, what stole Corey's corpse, is the next gym leader.

We're going to get our 4th badge and open a door by interacting with a creepypasta.

Another trip through Jasper Ward.

Another Absol.

And it's loving dark in here.

We get split-second flashes of visibility in this loving darkness.

Yeah.

Yeah it is Ame.

OST: To Lesser Depths.mp3

Of course its music is a spoopy reversed mix of the normal gym music. gently caress.

So I have to sort of wonder around this absolute loving darkness until I run into a door, then into more absolute darkness until I find one of four monitors.

And each time I do it shows me... a video of someone dying??

what

no seriously

what

Of course I have to weave around obstacles in this complete loving lack of visibility.

oh no a spoopy ghost!!! I'm shocked it didn't play a stock scream sound effect.

The right side, and not the left, for some reason, has random encounters. This is is the short-curcuit field, by the way. And this is Magnemite, a Pokemon so incredibly powerful that it needs to be moved even later into the game, or so I've read.

And this is a shiny Yamask.

There's other things. These two are the ones who matter.

Oh yeah. Spoopy monitors.

Ahahahaha what are you trying to make these RSE sprites do

And the last one I find shows Corey's suicide again

By finding all four of the spoopy monitors, the hallway in the center is opened, which leads to... uh...

Oh thank goodness, by coincidence I opened the menu at the same time as the light flickering, so I can tell the gym leader is here.

At least his dialogue is a lot less awful than the rest of this.

because seriously

I'm fighting a slenderman knockoff.

OST: Reborn- Reverse Gym.mp3

OFSelects: N/A

I forgot to change this one. Um, here's Thursday - War All The Time instead.

Yes, he leads with a Gengar. Yes, its name is Corey. Yes, I believe this is implying our friendly creepypasta character turned Corey into a ghost Pokemon.

Short Curcuit randomizes the power of electric moves, which this Gengar demonstrates by launching them at me.

X-items save the day again.

Polka Face is a Drapion, a Dark/Poison accordion scorpion who is mostly resistant to what this edgy nihilist dad Gengar is trying to do. Polka Face has Battle Armor, so he can't get critical hit through the stat boosts. He's holding a Cheri Berry in case one of these thunderbolts procced paralysis.

Short-Curcuit boosts the power of Night Slash, so Polka Face can cleave straight through this stuff pretty easily.

He also placed toxic spikes, for... a good reason.

The Synthetic Seed applies Magnet Rise. This would matter if I took Turtwig as a starter or maybe if I relied on Geodame somehow. We're not at the EQ spam part of level up lists.

Banette and Rotom provide no danger. Only issue is Banette's ability blocks me from using Night Slash.

Of course a creepypasta can't go without the spoopiest pokemon.

Most of the reason I used Toxic Spikes at all was because of Disguise. I couldn't OHKO the Mimikyu if it just blocked one hit.

Naturally this Mimikyu uses Swords Dance then uses the nigh-unresistable Shadow Claw/Play Rough combo. Only Pyroar resists it, and that would mean using that one I found.

Instead, that's what Toxic Spikes was for. This Mimikyu is on a timer now.

Of course, removing that Swords Dance helps. Mimikyu's 4th move is Thunderbolt, by the way.

After that, a combination of poison and rain-boosted Bubble Beams downs it.

oh my god just let sonic.exe kill me already

He gives a badge, at least. Level cap's up to 45, and I can use Flash!!

His TM is an actual move, a real-life move!

The lights come on, and he invites us to watch on the big-rear end screen:

:buddy:

But Sirius was waiting on the other side!

Everyone but Cain is captured with zero effort!

Cain has the bright idea of using the powerful creatures he has on hand and creatively using its attributes to solve a problem.

He made a tiny crack.

"We've got everything we need. Exactly what the Doctor ordered."

augh

"...Let not them suffer to the poison in vain."

augh

Shadow Claw lets Boneless lash out at the psychics and ghosts that ruin her life, at least.

This is thankfully the last mandatory jog through Jasper. By the way I walk right past the police headquarters directly in the line of sight of a cop each time.

Back at the tunnel, Victoria is here to lament that she can't do poo poo to help per usual.

"kidnapped! They're being kept past there, but there's all this debris in the way."

"Raven, do you remember before, I told you about Apophyll Academy? It's on the other side of Azurine Lake."

"I told Cain that and he ran off right away. He really wants to help those kids."

"I think you know, but a new Poison Leader was picked recently. Aya. It turns out, she's Cain's sister."

"We need to go with Cain across Azurine Lake! If we hurry, we can probably still catch him at the Coral Ward!
"

Ok, so, I'll get some pen and paper and chart it out for you:

You got all that?

It's gonna be the even less straightforward than it looks.

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 9
Acts of terrorism: 6
Acts of torture: 2
Bad guys escape somehow: 2
Absols: 3

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

Eloisecole the Death Clown.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Yeah, so that's an image of a Garchomp stabbing some person in the back and straight up murdering them. Also, I'm glad to see the suicide is being handled delicately still. Just... :psyduck:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So they made him a Gengar huh?
That's cool.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Lmao that trainer sprite

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Me: I need to see where this madness goes. I must dive in.
Also Me: Every second you spend playing this is a second you could spend playing Octopath.
Me: Thank you Also Me, I don't know what I was thinking there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh, I forgot this was so close together.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh dear I'm starting to forget what it's like to be playing a pokemon game where your character actually has agency that isn't subsumed by npcs

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

So like. Creepy ghost type gym is a cool idea, Acerola's trial is somewhat similar.

But it's not 'creepy' in the sense of 'look at a bunch of people dying' creepy. You can't really DO creepy with emerald's non-proportionate trainer sprites.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hellioning posted:

So like. Creepy ghost type gym is a cool idea, Acerola's trial is somewhat similar.

But it's not 'creepy' in the sense of 'look at a bunch of people dying' creepy. You can't really DO creepy with emerald's non-proportionate trainer sprites.

Even with the best graphics this wouldn't be creepy. It's too direct, it feels like a parody. It lacks even the most basic subtlety, just like the rest of this trainwreck of a game.

If I'm meant to see this as sad or scary, I'm not. It's laughable instead. Even the clown shiny is less funny than this awful attempt to scare the player. It is also scarier, because clown.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leraika posted:

oh dear I'm starting to forget what it's like to be playing a pokemon game where your character actually has agency that isn't subsumed by npcs

It's Raven's fault for not being in the lovely RP with Amethyst. Maybe if she was she'd actually matter to this incredibly stupid plot.

Hellioning posted:

The key to "creepy" is having a little bit of subtlety to it, and actual Pokemon knows this because actual Pokemon has done creepy before pretty effectively. People remember the Old Chateau and the sum of its creepiness was some spoopy things to look at and a pair of people you can't even interact with. I mentioned it previously but the Seven Mysteries of the Pokemon School are pretty creepy and they work because they manage to mix the explicable with the inexplicable with "oh it's just a pokemon loving around, wait that doesn't actually make things much better...". Similarly the stuff implied by the Ultra Ruins in USUM is kind of alarming and it's done with nothing more than a chatty NPC, a couple of random things you can examine, and a Guzzlord. Disquiet generated with no murders necessary.

Shade and his Gym are decidedly not scary or off-putting because they're loud and in your face about everything, and when horror turns into "horror" it becomes laughable. The Gym Leader is so spooky he becomes comical. The Gym is so grimderp it's funny. Suicide Guy becoming a Gengar is the sort of poo poo you see in a fanfic, it doesn't make you lament the horror of death so much as laugh at it and go "Did they SERIOUSLY think that was a good idea?"

Oh speaking of that Gengar way to continue to be respectful of an actual real-world tragedy, gently caress off Reborn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you pulled out Corey, this whole gym would be much more :allears:. It's just trying so hard.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So what was the Gym before he became a ghost.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The better way to do that would be to have all the dude's Pokemon have nicknames of people from that one graveyard and then have Coreygar be the last out every time so that would be the moment it "clicks" if you've been paying attention. And cut literally everything else.

It's still a dumb concept but it would be a dumb concept done right, dammit.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Wait, so we have to go chasing after Cain to get the key to the wasteland to get the Poison gym badge.

...But this was already all a loving sidetrip to get the key to the wasteland in the first place! Did Amethyst really just forget her own dumb railroading reasons for why we bothered doing all of this?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'll be honest, I am having a hard time keeping track of all the orphans and garbage rivals. I assume it doesn't matter. Cain was the sexweird creep, right?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I can't help but read Mr. Spoopy the G-G-Ghost Leader as, like, not even really trying to be scary. It's like a Halloween party when you're 9. They put your hand in a bowl of spaghetti, and then your friend's dad tells a dumb ghost story while Mom flicks the light switch on and off. ooooOOOOOoooo aren't you scared haha

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That diagram helped a lot OFS thanks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If the one orphan has sisters living somewhere that'd be willing to help her, why was she in an orphanage?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If the one orphan has sisters living somewhere that'd be willing to help her, why was she in an orphanage?

The orphanarium villain apparently is allowed to just pick up children off the street unless someone in the vicinity has a Legal Guardian Permit.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Cain was the sexweird creep, right?

I think so?

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Huh, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Gengar be nicknamed “Corey” in the last updates. I don’t think Shade actually took his soul and made him into a Gengar, though. I think it’s more of that “Ooooh, 3spoopy5me”
sort of stuff.that tries to play with your head, but fails.

Yeah... out of all the dumb stuff in Reborn, the “In order to save the orphans, you have to beat the Fighting Gym and beat the Poison Gym to move a rock; it’s not like time matters or anything” thing is one of the dumbest detours in the game (that list was brilliant, by the way).

Also, I just remembered this, but in my last playthrough of the game, I went through the trouble of examining every square inside of Dr. Connal’s Orphanage. You know, just to see if there’s a hidden item.
Turns out that if you go In the storage room where they get the Pokemon and cigarettes, there’s an Odd Incense (increases Psychic Type Moves by 20%, lets Mr. Mime breed Mime Jr.) if you search around.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh god this parade of pointless chores is giving me flashbacks to Gold/Silver's impossible Sisyphean task of moving a Snorlax three feet to the left.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This would be good if there were an optional side quest to convince a construction worker to just drive their digger to the railroad and shift the boulder that way. Or if we could get back in touch with Julia and ask her to get rid of the rock her way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh god this parade of pointless chores is giving me flashbacks to Gold/Silver's impossible Sisyphean task of moving a Snorlax three feet to the left.

At least that one didn't have orphans held by terrorists, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Of the things I thought might be in the game, I can't say I ever expected an official gym showing murders/suicides lead by a creepypasta

Though I don't necessarily object to the idea of a spooooky gym lead by an actual ghost if they leaned into it. Like everything's eyerollingly "creepy" on purpose because he's putting on a show. Like Acerola's trial but with an actual ghost, I guess.