Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Proud boys are evidently gonna be in Oakland tonight looking to start fights with people at bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

themrguy posted:

Proud boys are evidently gonna be in Oakland tonight looking to start fights with people at bars.

loving milk nazis

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

themrguy posted:

lol they got the poo poo kicked out of them and one guy got his shoes stolen

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Bastard Tetris posted:

lol they got the poo poo kicked out of them and one guy got his shoes stolen

And socks!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Need links to mainline that schadenfreude

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why are they doing that?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Why are they doing that?

To get owned by the libs lol

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

themrguy posted:

Lol I didn't see this post until after they already got beat up. :feelsgood:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isnt getting the poo poo beaten out of them like a proud boy badge of honor

and not to claim false victimhood or anything they actually think it makes them cool

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Shear Modulus posted:

and not to claim false victimhood or anything they actually think it makes them cool

I think it has to involve cereal and other proud boys.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Proud Boys pulled that poo poo in LA too.

If you want to get them really riled up bring up how scared they are of antifa, they will come out of the woodwork to explain how totally not scared they are.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Well they like to bring up how that one Antifa guy got punched in Seattle.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shear Modulus posted:

Part of their initiation involves getting "punched" by other proud boys, but given the type of person to become a proud boy, you'd probably do more damage trying to beat someone with a pool noodle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPABaFF1pD0

Real hardcore poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Panfilo posted:

Well they like to bring up how that one Antifa guy got punched in Seattle.

Oh yeah, apparently Proud Boys are undefeated in fights

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

GrandpaPants posted:

Part of their initiation involves getting "punched" by other proud boys, but given the type of person to become a proud boy, you'd probably do more damage trying to beat someone with a pool noodle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPABaFF1pD0

Real hardcore poo poo.

"You arn't ready to defend 'Merica until we give you a dead arm, sic semper tyranus!"

Horseshoe theory posted:

And yet they would still be better off than a poor person who gets jacked up another 5%. For example, if you have Warren Buffet and Homeless Bob, who make $1 billion and $10,000 respectively, Buffet can eat the $50,000,000 surtax without feeling anything whereas Homeless Bob is going to feel that $500 surtax.

Ability-to-pay is a big factor involved, since a guy making bupkus will feel every dollar taxed more than someone making hundreds of thousands, millions or billions of dollars. Hell, that's the point of the lesson of the widow's mite.
Good lord, I was just trying to point out that a simple plan that people can understand and that clearly benefits them is better than some sliding scale centrist dem bullshit, not arguing strongly for the specifics of a plan. Nor was I suggesting that this would be the only way that we would increase taxes on the wealthy. I would imagine that you will in fact not have to pay 5% if you make 10k, in the same way that there is at least a modicum of progressiveness in our current income tax system.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 25, 2018

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

cheese posted:

I would imagine that you will in fact not have to pay 5% if you make 10k, in the same way that there is at least a modicum of progressiveness in our current income tax system.

lol the only people advocating for a flat tax are the ones who think the poor need to "pay their fair share"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the poor need to have skin in the game

their skin

which they should be selling alongside their plasma

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
How y'all enjoying this weather? It's literally killed about 1/7th of my landscaping, just flash-fried it in place. My two big 60 year old Shamel Ashes are dropping leaves too, I'm worried about them.

The very expensive and not-worth-it UC Verde grass strain that I put in is LOVING it though, so there's that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had three Monarch caterpillars on my milkweed a week ago and now I have none and I don't know if it's the weather's fault but I'm very angry about this. :mad:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How y'all enjoying this weather? It's literally killed about 1/7th of my landscaping, just flash-fried it in place. My two big 60 year old Shamel Ashes are dropping leaves too, I'm worried about them.

The very expensive and not-worth-it UC Verde grass strain that I put in is LOVING it though, so there's that.

Hey man, gardens not lawns.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey man, gardens not lawns.

I absolutely agree with you. I had about 3500 square feet of grass. I cut it down to 1500 square feet and put in a patented buffalo grass blend (from UC Riverside, in my hometown!) that requires 70% less water. I also flipped my IC mower for an electric.

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

CPColin posted:

I had three Monarch caterpillars on my milkweed a week ago and now I have none and I don't know if it's the weather's fault but I'm very angry about this. :mad:

Aluminum screen cages work for this. We have milkweed in pots that we move in a cage once we see eggs on the leaves.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I absolutely agree with you. I had about 3500 square feet of grass. I cut it down to 1500 square feet and put in a patented buffalo grass blend (from UC Riverside, in my hometown!) that requires 70% less water. I also flipped my IC mower for an electric.

That explains why it was expensive! I wish more cities had a proper lawn-to-garden program that subsidizes you making the switch to a grassless yard. I know Long Beach does and it's awesome.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The plumber my landlord hired to install sprinklers in the front yard hosed the job up and never actually connected them up to the plumbing, so the lawn that was there when I moved in died in about a month. My front yard has since been rocks and dirt for the past four years. Doing my part to conserve :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm in the IE and that UC Verde grass looks pretty sweet, I'll have ot consider that when I redo my front yard someday

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

My Salvias/Sages, Agastache, Penstemon, Poppies, etc are all doing their summer thing. Still tons of color from the Agastaches even though most of the rest are browning.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lol at square feet measured in the thousands.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kobayashi posted:

Lol at square feet measured in the thousands.

What do you want, hectares?

(Remember when California threatened to switch to the metric system? Or when it threatened to ban schools from being in the NCAA unless it instituted a football playoff?)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think the joke is most of us live in sub 1000 sqft housing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/EPN473/status/1022692238176870400

Stay safe, super norcal people

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Was there a fire out around Milpitas/Fremont last weekend? We were at a party at a restaurant and saw a lot of smoke when we left.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I had reservations at Yosemite this week....

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ron Jeremy posted:

I had reservations at Yosemite this week....

sorry the fire ruined your vacation

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Panfilo posted:

Was there a fire out around Milpitas/Fremont last weekend? We were at a party at a restaurant and saw a lot of smoke when we left.

I think so, my dad was telling me about some fire he saw up in the hills there.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This situation in Redding sounds real bad

https://twitter.com/matt_weiser/status/1022703895724711938?s=21

https://twitter.com/pbandjammers/status/1022674532950138881?s=21

When was the last time an American city this size fell victim to a full on firestorm like this??

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

bawfuls posted:

This situation in Redding sounds real bad

https://twitter.com/matt_weiser/status/1022703895724711938?s=21

https://twitter.com/pbandjammers/status/1022674532950138881?s=21

When was the last time an American city this size fell victim to a full on firestorm like this??

Yeah, this looks much worse then the Santa Rosa fire, which was bad but mostly hit the outlying areas. If the entire town is being evacuated then that's pretty loving bad.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/mythserene/status/1022723852483416070?s=21

It is not a good sign that firefighters have been ordered to abandon containment efforts and focus on evacuation of people. And this is happening late at night. Tomorrow the high in Redding is forecast to be 113 F

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

cheese posted:

My Salvias/Sages, Agastache, Penstemon, Poppies, etc are all doing their summer thing. Still tons of color from the Agastaches even though most of the rest are browning.

I’m a landscape architect working heavily with native plants at scale. If you’re in SoCal, Cedros Island Verbena and San Diego Sunflower (Bahiopsis laciniata) are pro tier choices.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Honestly, with this heat wave this should have been expected sooner or later. California seems to have so much prep for earthquakes and so little for fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Honestly, with this heat wave this should have been expected sooner or later. California seems to have so much prep for earthquakes and so little for fire.

I think “this heat wave” is just one first domestically visible effects of climate change.