Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

I don't even like TDK that much but the boat scene is a representation of the fact that the Joker's war to destroy the soul of Gotham has failed.

And then TDKR ruins all that anyway, rip

Does it? I remember most citizens just cowering away after Bane thunderdomes the whole city, and it's mostly his goons and escaped convicts that actually mess anything up. Honestly the weirdest thing about the Nolan trilogy is that the villains are all absolutely hell-bent on proving how the city and all its citizens are corrupt to the core, even though they get absolutely and totally proven wrong every single time since the only people who actually suck are rich a-holes or supercriminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here, is Marvel more important for Disney than Star Wars now? Like, if they were told, "You can only have one," and had to choose, they'd go for Marvel, wouldn't they?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bautista mad

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1021123102082707456?s=19

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here, is Marvel more important for Disney than Star Wars now? Like, if they were told, "You can only have one," and had to choose, they'd go for Marvel, wouldn't they?

After Solo? prolly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hard to say. Previously Star Wars was more reliable but Solo blew that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh for sure. Star Wars kinda has to stay in its lane, while I feel like Marvel can be a lot broader.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, it's not really open to question that Infinity War 2 is the one people are looking forward to (and will probably do a lot better at the box office, which is obviously what Disney is most interested in) next year far more than Star Wars 9.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Cynicism is the only valid ideology for a movie to express, got it

Yeah what's with all this superhero poo poo anyway? If someone really had powers they wouldn't be putting themselves into danger!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Oh for sure. Star Wars kinda has to stay in its lane, while I feel like Marvel can be a lot broader.

Its kinda ridiculous that you could basically do any type of movie you wanted, just set in the sw universe, but theyre dead set on doing squeezing blood from the stone that is the ot

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

Its kinda ridiculous that you could basically do any type of movie you wanted, just set in the sw universe, but theyre dead set on doing squeezing blood from the stone that is the ot

The SW books and video games have been doing this from the beginning, so I don't know why anyone's surprised. Even when set ten thousand years before the movies (the KOTOR era), everything looks and sounds just like it does in the movies and it's about Jedi and Sith.

Rogue One is the only post-OT Star Wars movie I've enjoyed.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

site posted:

they're probably rethinking that after Solo, fwiw, and at least the new RJ trilogy has been explicitly billed as having little or no connection to existing franchise canon

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TLJ was a naval movie and everyone complained.

Make up your mind, incels.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

TLJ was a naval movie and everyone complained.

Make up your mind, incels.

Lmao wasn't much of a naval movie. I want to see a space battle a la Battle of Endor!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pubic works project posted:

Lmao wasn't much of a naval movie. I want to see a space battle a la Battle of Endor!

Rogue One exists

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
R1s space battle is so good

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do people seriously think one unsuccessful movie has somehow killed Star Wars? I am surprised we are still discussing this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fangz posted:

Do people seriously think one unsuccessful movie has somehow killed Star Wars? I am surprised we are still discussing this.

Yes. They do think this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Solo wouldn't even have been unsuccessful if they hadn't ploughed so much money into redoing 80% of the movie. I'm absolutely not saying Star Wars is dead or anything, just that I think Marvel is bigger than it now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rogue 1 is the only good NuStar Wars.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The worst thing I found out about Star Wars is that the only one I like is the one everyone thinks killed the franchise and led to Solo bombing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel's a much bigger cash cow to Disney these days than Star Wars. Especially in movies. More movies a year. More made overseas (Star Wars is not big at all in China and some other markets). It's undeniable even before the recent disappointments critically and now financially that Marvel is a much bigger part of Disney's business plans than Star Wars. That doesn't mean it'll be like that in five years though. I'm sure they'll do everything they can to turn the ship around and have both firing hit after hit at some point.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fangz posted:

Not killed, but was made a less successful property than Marvel, yeah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Marvel's a much bigger cash cow to Disney these days than Star Wars. Especially in movies. More movies a year. More made overseas (Star Wars is not big at all in China and some other markets). It's undeniable even before the recent disappointments critically and now financially that Marvel is a much bigger part of Disney's business plans than Star Wars. That doesn't mean it'll be like that in five years though. I'm sure they'll do everything they can to turn the ship around and have both firing hit after hit at some point.

Yeah, but because of volume. Individually Star Wars was bigger in general, until Solo broke the pattern.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Not killed, but was made a less successful property than Marvel, yeah.

It kind of already was though. I mean the first Star Wars movie that came out from Disney was huge domestically sure, and will not be surpassed probably by any Marvel film domestically. But that was an event because it was the first big new one in a decade. Then the spinoff did good, but not unlike the bigger Marvel films. Then the next regular Star Wars movie did real good too, especially at first, until people started disliking it. And now the most recent is being called a flop (whether it is or not is up to your definition I suppose.) But again a lot of that is domestic. The Last Jedi made 1.3 billion. That's a HUGE hit financially if not critically. But it made only 54% of that worldwide. Infinity War has made over 2 billion at this point and 67% of that is worldwide. Marvel is a much bigger worldwide phenomenon than Star Wars. Here in the US it's close, but other places it's not close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Star Wars fandom is literally toxic. MCU fandom is pretty great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they meant "critically". And by that I mean fan boys whined about it a whole lot and now will never watch a star war until goddamnit rey's parents are SOMEBODY and someone has a laser battle and fights with light swords all the time!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Worldwide dollars are worth significantly less than domestic dollars.

Rhyno posted:

If you ignore the horrible racist incels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

If you mean the people complaining about Rey being a mary sue, those aren't fandom.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Star Wars fandom has been poo poo since 1999 (maybe earlier). I am sad to have been one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The moment you remove either Force users, or the Empire or Rebellion, Star Wars immediately just becomes some generic sci-fi property. Without those things, there's nothing to distinguish it from any no brand film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

The Star Wars fandom has been poo poo since 1999 (maybe earlier). I am sad to have been one.

Weird, that's when the movies became poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

The moment you remove either Force users, or the Empire or Rebellion, Star Wars immediately just becomes some generic sci-fi property. Without those things, there's nothing to distinguish it from any no brand film.

Yeah, but people are always going to complain that it's always Jedi vs Sith and Empire vs Rebellion all the time, so you can't win.

Anyway, Star Wars fans being bad goes back long before 1999. I mean, look at this thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Worldwide dollars are worth significantly less than domestic dollars.

OK, but that doesn't matter because more worldwide dollars are still worth more than less worldwide dollars. Marvel has had two movies this year that have made more domestically than all but the first new Star Wars film. That's not going to happen every year of course. But it doesn't have to. Marvel's a bigger brand right now. And it's one that's not 'tarnished' right now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

I'd replace pretty with fairly, but I'd argue this is why the MCU is doing better. Their films are fairly safer fair, but the fans tend to kind of go with it all, regardless of quality. I thought Ant Man and the Wasp was really boring and I wish I didn't pay money for it, but most people seem pretty fine with it so hey. Where's Star Wars, it's ALL OR NOTHING. It's either AMAZING or it loving SUCKS.

Reading reviews of TFA was pretty telling how this would go. All positive reviews and joy and praise... and then WHAM. Worst Star War. Bad Star War. And that's how this is going to go until the end of Star Wars. It happened with TPM and it will happen with Episode 9. It's tiring and lame and it's why Star Wars must be put down.

Thank you for your time, your honor.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Weird, that's when the movies became poo poo.
I'm going to go ahead and say that if you're the type of person willing to send death threats in 1999 to the guy who played Jar Jar Binks, then you're already a terrible person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The worst thing about MCU fandom was the people being like "okay, calm down negros, Black Panther isn't that great" and then it made so much money that they pretty much retreated. I will forever love BP just for that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rhyno posted:

The worst thing about MCU fandom was the people being like "okay, calm down negros, Black Panther isn't that great" and then it made so much money that they pretty much retreated. I will forever love BP just for that.

Marvel made Black Panther a bigger deal than Captain America and Iron Man, after making Captain America and Iron Man into a big deal for the first time in decades, and for that they will always have my affection.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say that if you're the type of person willing to send death threats in 1999 to the guy who played Jar Jar Binks, then you're already a terrible person.

Did that happen? I mean it sounds like it probably did. Obviously that's lovely but I don't think there's a point when the Star Wars fandom "became bad".

Anyway I'm pretty sure Solo under-performing doesn't mean anything besides people not caring about Young Han Solo Adventures. Everyone's been doomsaying the new Star Wars stuff since the first Force Awakens trailer, from angry MRAs to bitter prequel defenders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Did that happen? I mean it sounds like it probably did. Obviously that's lovely but I don't think there's a point when the Star Wars fandom "became bad".

The actor discussed how he almost killed himself over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The actor discussed how he almost killed himself over it.

That is really wack.

• Locked thread