Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice

INCHI DICKARI posted:

This costs literally exactly how much money I made today

Cylon truck???

(Not re-imagined BSG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Welp, my long-flip aspirations were sunk by an irate wife, so the 4runner is sold, and I split the profits with Dave (which are in escrow in my safe - per Dave’s own ask) - so he has $800 toward ... something.

The general idea was to find a fuel injected motorcycle of some variety. Then last night I witnessed the worst negotiating in the history of humanity when Dave volunteered to a guy missing a lot of teeth in a sleeveless Scorpions t-shirt that the asking price for the ‘72 Winnebago was exactly the amount of money he had just come into possession of 6 hours prior.

Thankfully Dave didn’t have the cash with him, and the Winnebago hasn’t moved under its own power in 10 years, and only I have the contact info for this Titanic of nostalgic autism, so this is another way of saying there are small mercies in this universe and the Bartertown Doomsday Clock has ticked back to a manageable 11:57pm.

Tldr we picked up a (supposedly, yes yes) running gen vi 454 that at the very least hasn’t been subjected to a Dave-induced RUD (although it has a very nicely murdered flex plate) to use as the basis for getting the 77 running. No, the carcass of that red 2500 didn’t follow me home. Unlike many days, I ended the day with fewer vehicles than the day prior.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 22, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Did you tell the wife 4runners were like bitcoins are advertised to be and can only go up to one million dollars each?

I mean your backyard can store at least 200 of them.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Did you tell the wife 4runners were like bitcoins are advertised to be and can only go up to one million dollars each?

I mean your backyard can store at least 200 of them.

I found the truck 10 days ago and went and got it the morning it was listed. I put the new tires on it as I was intending to drive it for the rest of the summer while the Land Cruiser gets its hail damage repaired; as such I threw a bunch of good parts at it because I figured we would be using it. Dave adjusted the valve lash and installed a new valve cover gasket as well as belts, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, changed the oil & filter, and then unfucked the seized rear drums and installed rear drum shoes and hardware and adjusted them to work right.

I wrote a single listing for the truck yesterday morning on a local Toyota 4x4 forum to test the waters, had a text from a guy in under an hour pledging to buy it, 6 hours later he showed up with cash in hand (in a G55, natch) and ultimately he paid my asking price. I count this all as a win.

I was tracking costs in a spreadsheet and I’ll go do the exact math, but net profit will be around ~$1600. This includes having put insurance on it, paid sales tax and for a new title and temp tag, an emissions test (which it passed), and even some parts that never even managed to get installed, such as front leaf springs and a fancy Toyota OEM leather shift knob from Japan and a driver’s side window regulator.

If I had bought second hand tires and kept the new springs etc (that didn’t get installed) we could have made a good bit more on it, but whatever. 4runners shall become the post-BTC apocalypse currency of choice in the Wasteland, mark my words.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 22, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, in bitcoin fashion it will be Biturbos

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

The general idea was to find a fuel injected motorcycle of some variety. Then last night I witnessed the worst negotiating in the history of humanity when Dave volunteered to a guy missing a lot of teeth in a sleeveless Scorpions t-shirt that the asking price for the ‘72 Winnebago was exactly the amount of money he had just come into possession of 6 hours prior.

I need to stress this is a factually accurate statement

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You should've offered him $400, citing that you'd need the other $400 for the bug bombs and panther piss.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fermented Tinal posted:

You should've offered him $400, citing that you'd need the other $400 for the bug bombs and panther piss.

I'm trying to figure out why you have panther piss listed twice here under different skus.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

INCHI DICKARI posted:

No, in bitcoin fashion it will be Biturbos

Thrones of warlords may be constructed out of Biturbos, but they shall not be currency; as they are today and shall forever be immobile it renders them less of a transactional item and more of a trophy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

Thrones of warlords may be constructed out of Biturbos, but they shall not be currency; as they are today and shall forever be immobile it renders them less of a transactional item and more of a trophy.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/02/15/131934618/the-island-of-stone-money

Id argue theyd be more of a currency than bitcoin in a post-internet of things wasteland

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice
Rich Hall has a recurring joke/skit about currency or change etc on Yap. Its funny AND educational :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
THEY JUST PLAYED OPIATE ON THE RADIO

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Welp we're buying a BMW

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My lonely martyr
This will be over soon
You smell so precious
You smell so precious now

You smell so precious

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

Welp we're buying a BMW

You obviously haven't seen my thread.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

You obviously haven't seen my thread.

If it helps soothe your GDCS pains, it's a 5 speed e30 with no rust.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

If it helps soothe your GDCS pains, it's a 5 speed e30 with no rust.

I was going to argue and say that it was actually other than GDCS (which it was), but the thing keeping me from starting the car right now is... the GDCS. :eng99:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
TWENNY TWENNY TWENNY FO' SECONDS AGOOOOO
I BOUGHT A SUPERETA

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

INCHI DICKARI posted:

TWENNY TWENNY TWENNY FO' SECONDS AGOOOOO
I BOUGHT A SUPERETA

Isn't this how the whole saga started like a decade ago? Wasn't there a BMW that got put into a curb or something?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No I sold that to buy Lowered Expectations

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I have a roundel from one of my dead e30's I could send you

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got a really weathered Porsche crest if you want that instead.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Supereta's are 88's only. If it's a 325e it just sucks, minus the '88.

Red is the correct color, though.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Supereta's are 88's only. If it's a 325e it just sucks, minus the '88.

Red is the correct color, though.

It is indeed an ‘88.

Package is en route to target carrying multiple payloads and ordinance.

Tldr: I have sent Dave to retrieve it in an Uber; he is carrying a sealed folder, theoretically inside his messenger bag which should be on his body, with an insurance card, 2 copies of Bill of Sale, the title, a sealed envelope of cash, a blue pen for her to use and correct the date she already put on the back of the title, and a One and the Same form for the seller to fill out as she didn’t sign the goddamn title the sale way it’s made out to her. Car buying/selling pet peeve 101 here folks.

All signatures and forms have a green sticky and instructions. I’m not sure I can do much more here.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tremek posted:

All signatures and forms have a green sticky

well yeah, you said Dave's got them, I have no doubt they're sticky

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

well yeah, you said Dave's got them, I have no doubt they're sticky

SLANDER

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

It is indeed an ‘88.

Package is en route to target carrying multiple payloads and ordinance.

Tldr: I have sent Dave to retrieve it in an Uber; he is carrying a sealed folder, theoretically inside his messenger bag which should be on his body,

Well it is *now*

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Uber dude is not enjoying my garlic binge

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Well it is *now*

On, not in.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tremek posted:

It is indeed an ‘88.

Hell yeah swap the head, ECU and cluster from a 325i and you're good to go.

Or sell the engine to me for cheap :getin:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I'm mildly concerned that you're in transit and posting this

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Jesus Tremek, you couldn't have copied the Mafia playbook any better. "You'se gonna sell me the car, see, and sell it to me right, or I'ma gonna send my friend Fourteen Inch Dave down, see, and he's gonna change your mind for you."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There was another dude looking at it when I got back from the bank and he asked who I was, and I said "the guy who's buying it :colbert: "

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Jesus Tremek, you couldn't have copied the Mafia playbook any better. "You'se gonna sell me the car, see, and sell it to me right, or I'ma gonna send my friend Fourteen Inch Dave down, see, and he's gonna change your mind for you."

Mighty nice bathroom ya got here, wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

I described Dave as "colorful" to the seller this AM on the phone. I'm sure the goods were as advertised.

Btw, Dave did great today. He went to his meetings and went and made this BMW deal happen, so good things all around.

PS, this thing is loving mint.

Note the OEM BMW tape deck cleaning kit:

My internet stalking Googling of the original owner indicates he's in Colorado now. I'm thinking about reaching out...

Tremek fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 24, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tremek posted:

My internet stalking Googling of the original owner indicates he's in Colorado now. I'm thinking about reaching out...

An original owner of a 1980s economy BMW is probably a Nazi.

Now they have sort of a Soviet-tractor hipster charm, but then?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Tremek posted:

PS, this thing is loving mint.

Take out the battery and post a pic of what you find.

But for real, that's an awesome car. GG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Take out the battery and post a pic of what you find.

No

• Locked thread