Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

I think this is because there are 3 types of text box.

1) No voice line is played for the text
2) A short voice line is played, the full text is much lengthier
3) The text and voice match

For example the character will say "hai" and then there is a japanese text box that says like "Okay, I understand I'm going to go fight 1 giant dude with 2 smaller dudes behind him!"

I'm fully aware of this, I meant the fully voice acted ones :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I finally did it! I got JPx100 with a Cait!

That's my main party more or less sorted for skills for the game.

:stare:

I haven't even killed a Cait yet.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Have you considered that perhaps the extra words were stolen by a giant dude and 2 smaller dudes who are just to the east of town in a dungeon with between 5 and 7 treasure chests?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Wooooo! Just finished the final class boss, the Starseer!

So the team combo I had was Tressa Merchant/Runelord, Cyrus Scholar/Sorcerer, Alfyn Apothecary/Warmaster (though his secondary job was mostly irrelevant), Ophilia Cleric/Hunter. The most important skills for the fight were Reflective Veil and Leghold Trap for Ophilia alongside Saving Grace on Tressa and Ophilia. For comfort/easier time, I had Dother’s Charity and Empoison on Alfyn as well. The main strategy is basically breaking her as quickly as possible with a mixture of Sorcerer Spells, Alfyn Concoctions, Tressa weapons + rune chasers or whatever combo of things you’d like to break with while Ophilia and if able, Alfyn, heal the party, over heal Tressa and Ophilia, cast Leghold Trap on the Starseer and cast a full boost Sheltering Veil on Cyrus. I reached a point where whenever the Starseer casted Shooting Stars, all the hits on Cyrus would be reflected while the other three were able to facetank all the hits. From there, you can just keep on repeatedly breaking her as she spends her first turn immediately after breaking changing her immunities and the second round casting shooting stars. Exploit this to hell as you have 2 turns with each of your characters to break her and then one turn to inflict hell on her/heal your team. It was an intense fight, but I managed to wear her down while getting off a snatch fuelled collect.

Octopath is a loving good game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Do you just spam bewildering when you see a cait and hope?

The dance can also spawn a Cait in place of one of the regular mobs, which happened here. I got lucky and managed to kill it with an item before it ran away, then spammed the dance until I got a x100.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In another really interesting design choice, I just realized that the characters' starting locations are distributed in such a way that there's one character with two weapons and one with one next to every character.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Have you considered that perhaps the extra words were stolen by a giant dude and 2 smaller dudes who are just to the east of town in a dungeon with between 5 and 7 treasure chests?
:hmmyes:

It's funny sometimes how flowery the English script is. The Japanese voiceline might say something like "Is... this true?" and the English text will read "Could perchance what you just said be truthful? Surely it isn't so?"

I wish I could remember what it was off the top of my head but I'm also pretty sure some dialogue (in particular Olberic's enormous textboxes in his Ch.3) add some stuff that just isn't in the Japanese script. Doesn't drastically change things but might make the character motivations slightly different, for example.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do you know all this? Do you have a copy of the Japanese script to reference as you play?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

How do you know all this? Do you have a copy of the Japanese script to reference as you play?

You can switch over to Japanese voice acting in the settings while still reading English subs

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Just playing with the Japanese voices, so I can only compare the voiced cutscenes and only insomuch as I understand what they're saying during those

I'm not fluent in the language so don't take my word as anything other than very basic observations :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sorry, didn't mean that to come off as snotty! I was honestly curious, I never thought about the language options.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Sorry, didn't mean that to come off as snotty! I was honestly curious, I never thought about the language options.

Oh absolutely not, I just realized that I sometimes come off as knowing more than I do - which I don't :pram:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Phenotype posted:

Sorry, doestho meane toe comethe off snoote?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Flowery fake archaicisms own.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bongo Bill posted:

Flowerith faken archaicisms ownen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have Tressa/Cyrus/Therion/Primrose at level 45, Olberic/H'aanit at 22, Ophilia/Alfyn at level 10. I've completed the sorcerer and starseer bosses (abusing the mass reflect method). With my main group of four, what will be the best strat for tackling runelord and warmaster?

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Finished everyones chapter 1 stories and got all the initial 8 subjobs. Got to all the ch2 towns (and some ch3/4 ones?), now to grind out a few levels for everyone who isnt my main so i dont get taken offguard by any of the fights!

Game is so good

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just picked up this and it's super awesome, I'm really getting into it, went Tressa->Therion->H'aanit, Alfyn, and am finishing up Olberic's story.
Quick question on stats: Are secondary job stats the same as primary-job stats? e.g. if you had a lvl 20 Tressa w/ Warrior and a Lvl 20 Olberic w/ Merchant, would their stats be equal, or does the primary jobholder get a bit more of their job's statboosts?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ophilia Chapter 3: :stare: Well that certainly took a turn....

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lhet posted:

Just picked up this and it's super awesome, I'm really getting into it, went Tressa->Therion->H'aanit, Alfyn, and am finishing up Olberic's story.
Quick question on stats: Are secondary job stats the same as primary-job stats? e.g. if you had a lvl 20 Tressa w/ Warrior and a Lvl 20 Olberic w/ Merchant, would their stats be equal, or does the primary jobholder get a bit more of their job's statboosts?

The secondary job grants a fixed percentage boost to base stats. The primary job has a much larger effect.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lhet posted:

Characters have significantly different base stats. All my guys are level ~25 and Cyrus/Ophilia have about 100 more MATK than anyone else. So, Cyrus subclassed as Warrior is gonna have wildly different stats than Olberic subclasses as a Scholar. There's a passive skill you can unlock later on to swap a characters magic and physical attack stats, but otherwise you sort of have to keep characters in line with their base stats. Although, that's why people like Therion and Tressa who have pretty evenly-distributed stat spreads so you can do whatever you want with them. It's worth noting however that healing is based on your MDEF stat so anyone can be a healer, I really like setting Olberic as Apothecary.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Ophilia Chapter 3: :stare: Well that certainly took a turn....

Haha I was just about to post exactly the same thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have Olberic specced as a Hunter, but now that I have the 50% chance to attack again, maybe I'll move him.

How good is the last Hunter passive? Does it just straight give the character a second action on the same turn?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I have Olberic specced as a Hunter, but now that I have the 50% chance to attack again, maybe I'll move him.

How good is the last Hunter passive? Does it just straight give the character a second action on the same turn?

It always goes at the end of the turn, but otherwise that's correct. It's ridiculous :getin:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Even at a 25% chance? It's worth the 3000 JP?

When do you know that it's proccing?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The fact that it's RNG is a bit frustrating, but you can do some bonkers stuff with it. Like donate BP twice during the same turn. Or do 6 AoE breaks. Or concoct two BP potions to the party.

It gets even more bonkers when combined with the cleric divine since that basically means you have a chance of getting 4 actions per turn per character (that has the skill).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

At the end of the turn, when you find yourself either getting the bonus action or not.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God dammit I was grinding for like an hour to get enough JP for the Dancer divine skill which costs 5000 JP, and when I got to like 4500 I hit a x100 lottery and now I have 14,000, but I woulda been really nice to just land that an hour ago before I put all this work in

Some Numbers posted:

I feel like it procs ALL the time, WAY more than 25%. I use it in conjunction with Eye for an Eye and Second Serving on Therion and he destroys all shields

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Absolutely worth it. You basically know when you get through a round and then suddenly that person steps up to bat again. Gaining an occasional extra turn is really huge for fights and has quite often let me break a boss when I was otherwise just a bit shy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You don't get to know in advance when you get the extra turn so it's not something you should rely on but it's pretty nice when it happens. I can imagine it being pretty great for Olberic because even if he blows all his BP on the turn it procs he can still buff himself so it's not a waste.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, that's that settled, I'll grind up to get that.

Tressa needs another 1000 JP to get SP Saver and start owning as a Scholar anyway.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do side quests work? I don’t get it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

How do side quests work? I don’t get it

I think all of them require you to use your path actions. This could mean guiding the NPC or guiding another NPC to that NPC, buying/stealing item(s) for them, challening them or someone else or inquiring information.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The majority of sidequests have multiple solutions/endings too. As far as I can tell the reward is always the same, so you don't need to worry about solving something the 'wrong' way.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it always in the nearby area? I dislike how vague they are

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, sometimes quite far away.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

No, there's a whole lot that require you to get items, information, or people from somewhere else. Sometimes on the other side of the world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nope! If you dont want to use a guide basically resign yourslef to taking a fuckload of notes or just not doing a lot lf them.

My favorite thing is that some of the solutions in other games would be evil or unnaceptable but Octopath doesnt cast judgement; cheating on the trial of adulthood is just as good as learning to pass it

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I played Ophilia's chapter 2, and I wasn't a fan. I came here to torch stuff in churches, not play with kids. At best that shoulda been a cut scene.

Is there an explicit guide with the sidequests I need to do for the end game stuff anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Haha holy poo poo the Starseer boss took me literally 45 minutes to beat at level 39. I love being underleveled