Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Pauline picks a quality candidate once again...

quote:

The One Nation candidate in the Longman federal byelection, Matthew Stephen, has tried to avoid a $13,000 court-ordered damages bill against his tiling company by selling the company on paper to an Irish novice labourer, two years after the man had left Australia.

A Guardian Australia investigation into Stephen’s business dealings has found incorrect information in documents he certified and filed with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission in 2016.

Stephen claims he is no longer responsible for the payment of a $13,769.99 debt, imposed by the Northern Territory local court as damages for a substandard tiling job in 2014, because he sold his company in August 2016 and the new owner agreed to take on the remaining liability.

Documents lodged by Stephen with Asic state he sold Aus Tile QLD to Irishman “Steven O’Donovan” two months after the court judgment.

O’Donovan’s ownership of the company is a “non-beneficial” shareholding, meaning on paper he holds the share, for the benefit of someone else. The company’s registered address and principal place of business remains Matthew Stephen’s home address.

Darwin builder Phillip Hoare, who took Aus Tile QLD to court, says he still hasn’t been paid about $11,000 of the damages awarded. Hoare complained to Asic that the sale of the business had led to the company being passed on to someone of limited means.

He says he has not been able to find O’Donovan since the case concluded.

Matthew Stephen told the NT local court he was unable to undertake a tiling job in 2014 and instead referred it to “Steven O’Donovan”, an Irish “labourer learning to tile”.

When claiming he was not responsible for the substandard tiling work, Matthew Stephen tendered to the court an invoice he said was from O’Donovan and a business named “Stephen Dunux Tiling”.

The invoice did not contain an Australian business number and listed the details of a Commonwealth Bank account for “Stephen O’Donovan”.

No business with that name has ever been registered.

“Mr Stephen purported to be in contact with Mr O’Donovan but did not call him in evidence,” Judge Alan Woodcock said.

Woodcock rejected or did not accept several pieces of evidence given by Matthew Stephen.

He “did not find proved” Stephen’s claim in court that he referred the job to O’Donovan. Instead, Woodcock found that Aus Tile QLD was contracted to perform the tiling works and awarded damages against the company in the amount of $13,769.99.

Two months after the court judgment, on 31 August 2016, Stephen lodged documents with Asic registering the sale of Aus Tile QLD to O’Donovan. He told Hoare in emails the company had been sold and that the new owner had agreed to take on the outstanding debt.

The Asic document, which Stephen certified was “true and complete”, said O’Donovan lived at an address on Gardens Hill Crescent at The Gardens, a suburb of Darwin. Hoare said he went to that address in 2016 and that no one in the complex had heard of a Steven or Stephen O’Donovan.

Guardian Australia spoke to the resident at the specific townhouse where Asic was told O’Donovan lived.

“I’ve lived here since 2014 and I’ve never heard of that person,” she said.

There is no record of Steven O’Donovan or Stephen O’Donovan on the electoral roll or any Australian register of tradespeople.

Matthew Stephen submitted documents to Asic that said the buyer of his business, “Steven” O’Donovan, was born on 27 March 1989, in Cork, Ireland.

Stephen O’Donovan’s social media accounts confirm his birthday is 27 March and that he is from Cork, Ireland.

His Facebook profile shows him in Darwin on 11 October 2014. On 23 October 2014, O’Donovan was pictured back in Cork. “Delighted to have you back,” one family member commented on the post.

Matthew Stephen gave evidence to the court that Steven O’Donovan conducted the tiling job in Darwin in October 2014. Tiles were due to be delivered to the property on 24 October.

Guardian Australia contacted Stephen O’Donovan through his Facebook page. He said: “Would this matter not be dealt by the proper authoritys [sic]? Not a reporter.”

Hoare claims he has repeatedly asked Stephen to prove the sale of his company was genuine. He has never produced evidence of a valid sale contract and did not respond to Guardian Australia’s requests to do so.

Matthew Stephen looms as the kingmaker at the Longman byelection. One Nation preferences are widely expected to decide the outcome.

As a political candidate, he relates the experience as a story about overcoming adversity. His Queensland trades licence has been suspended seven times.

In a video on Facebook, he said “the big end of town kicked me in the guts” and didn’t pay his bills, and that he “worked for 18 hours a day, with these calluses on these hands” in order to meet his own commitments.

“As the final weeks of the Longman byelection play out, politically motivated attacks on Mr Stephen have conveniently raised their head,” the candidate said in a statement to the Guardian.

“Mr Stephen maintains he has met every payment owed to creditors during a financial slump in his building career.

“Mr Stephen sold Aus Tile QLD Pty Ltd in [August] of 2016 for an undisclosed amount. In accordance with the contract, all liabilities were the responsibility of the new owners.”

The One Nation candidate did not give responses to several questions sent by Guardian Australia. Those questions included: why a man living in Ireland would buy a “non-beneficial” interest in a tiling company with an unpaid debt; why he supplied Asic with an incorrect address for Steven O’Donovan; and why he told the Northern Territory local court that O’Donovan had completed the job, when his Facebook profile shows he was in Ireland.

Hoare said “the thing that pissed me off the most” was Stephen labelling stories about his unpaid debts “fake news” being spread by “Labor and the unions”.

“We’re all Liberal voters,” Hoare said. “We’re relying on the One Nation party to get the Liberals in in Longman.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aus politics is hosed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1021336332918927360

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Where's the IRA, pirates, and/or irish pirates when you need them?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Yeah but if he goes to an election again with this vanilla jobs and growth speech he will get trashed.

What reason do you have to believe this

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where's the IRA, pirates, and/or irish pirates when you need them?

I have "Auspol sends it's loving regards" in a Belfast accent stuck in my head now

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Let's just say I know some lads that know how to set a timer...

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Let's just say I know some lads that know how to set a timer...

so you’ve been watching masterchef huh

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CroweDM/status/1021344639717072897

Previously unsaid sentences in history...

Birdstrike posted:

so you’ve been watching masterchef huh

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Victorian upper house liberal member Simon Ramsay caught driving on the wrong side of the road 4 times over the limit.
https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...804c08c05a20b57

I assume he'll escape jailtime... no doubt.

While on the job too
https://twitter.com/jimmyraynes/status/1021156115629813760?s=19

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
No doubt. Good post+username combo too

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Pea brain: adequate oversight and regulation for NDIS

Normal brain: adequate funding for the NDIS

GALAXY BRAIN: Announce a major task force into NDIS fraud when minimal fraud is present

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Recoome posted:

GALAXY BRAIN: Announce a major task force into NDIS fraud when minimal fraud is present

universe brain: still refuse to announce task force into JSA fraud when fraud is systemic

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The daily telegraph had enlisted these fine patriots to tell you that political correctness has gone too far.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-24/blockchain-innovators-seek-to-disrupt-indonesian-electoral-fraud/10025900

quote:

A Melbourne-based start-up is seeking to use the same blockchain technology underpinning bitcoin to provide greater voting transparency in emerging democracies.

"If you utilise blockchain to submit a vote in the same way that a bitcoin transaction can't be reversed, it can't be changed, it's a trustworthy process based on a system, which is not owned by any one entity, not by an organisation, or a government or an individual," said Horizon State's Jamie Skella, who designed the platform.
"These are all pretty great properties for a digital ballot box, so in the same way the vote can't be maliciously tampered with, it can't be removed and it can't be changed."
Horizon State is preparing to roll out a community voter platform in the island of Sumatra, providing a test case for the technology, which it is aiming to scale-up for regional and national government elections.
so the voter roll's on the block chain or what

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

The daily telegraph had enlisted these fine patriots to tell you that political correctness has gone too far.

And a good half of this initiative is opposed to banning plastic bags and coffee cups

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

The Daily Telegraph understands Middle Eastern gangs will be a particular target of the fraud squad, following revelations some of the financial misconduct and fraud complaints involved operators born in Middle Eastern and African countries.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

gently caress white people

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

who are most of these people again

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Racists and/or bigots.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Mr Cricket noooo

Also, holy poo poo white people upset at Political Correctness who woulda thunk it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
#awkward

quote:

Cardinal George Pell is facing prosecution for alleged historic child sex offences, but he is still finding time to let his hair down.

As he awaits trial on the charges he denies, the former third in line to Pope Francis attended a party in Cherrybrook, north-west Sydney, last month to celebrate the engagement of Brigid Meney, the daughter of Chris Meney, chancellor of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney and a staunch supporter of Pell.

Many guests commented on the Cardinal's attendance, which made some feel awkward. However, the man, who has been described as having a "several rhinoceros thick" hide, apparently looked as if he enjoyed himself.

He mingled mostly with guests his own age, but did venture out the back of the family home with the rest of the twenty-something party-goers to toast the soon-to-be-married, young couple.

One unlikely guest that the Cardinal crossed paths with on the night was Alisha Aitken-Radburn, who left Bill Shorten's office to star on the upcoming series of The Bachelor.

Since being dumped by the not-so-charming Nick "The Honey Badger" Cummins, this year's "Bachelor villain" has been seeking out #AusPol job opportunities, but her CV is being kept on file until it is clear how she behaved on the show.

https://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/the-goss-cardinal-george-pell-lets-his-hair-down-20180719-p4zsde.html

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

John Eales noooo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Grandkids are not allowed to get angry when I make a racist joke :cry:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So we do the opposite of everything they say, right? They're an anti-advisory board?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I agree with this one

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Some of those are so close to just saying "I can't vilify people in the streets based on their skin colour"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

iajanus posted:

Some of those are so close to just saying "I can't vilify people in the streets based on their skin colour"

And others are so generic that you can project whatever you want on to them.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"NO

SOCIAL

PROGRESS

EVER.

WE, THE BABY BOOMER GENERATION, ARE THE PINNACLE OF HUMAN CULTURAL DEVELOPMENT, AND WE. WILL. NOT. CHANG-

*Guillotine Noises

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Unironically put those people in charge to see how quickly they can push the planet into dystopian fuedalism (well, more so than it actually is), and how quickly it takes them to trigger a global ecological collapse.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yup, so majority of them is boomer whinge material. Surprised there wasn't a "cull all immigration" comment there.

Also I will go on a week long bender when the day that either Gerry Harvey passes away or Harvey Normans shuts down.

Also surprise surprise with pollies from NSW with awful views. And who the gently caress cares about what Baby John Burgess thinks.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It feels unfair to put Mr Cricket in there with that lot

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
John Eales, fresh from ruining Australian Rugby with the ARU branching out into ruining Australia as a whole.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Minority opinions poo poo is Boomer talk too. Minority of opinions in people who want to loving talk to you mate. And even in the small subset of people in your social sphere nobody wants to tell their parents or aunts or grandparents they're loving stupid, but they're thinking it, and waiting for you to die.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

You Am I posted:

Yup, so majority of them is boomer whinge material. Surprised there wasn't a "cull all immigration" comment there.

Also I will go on a week long bender when the day that either Gerry Harvey passes away or Harvey Normans shuts down.

Also surprise surprise with pollies from NSW with awful views. And who the gently caress cares about what Baby John Burgess thinks.

I was fired from Harvey Norman for not upselling. Also for disagreeing with the concept of selling Christmas presents on two year finance.

That job was loving weird, I think it's the only time I've ever worked somewhere that I was disliked due to some bizarre set of social caste rules. It was a super competitive environment where management pitted everyone against each other.

Edit: And Gerry himself showed up a few times so management would put the fear of God into us.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 24, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So this is a thing:

https://twitter.com/MyHealthRec/status/1020507663321522176

According to Independent Australia, however, they don't need a court order:

IA posted:

Firstly, what exactly is an order “similar” to a court/coronial order? To what kind of order does this refer, who is authorised to issue such an order and under what circumstances? This “similar” order needs to be fully explained.

Secondly, why does this information from the My Health Record website contradict the My Health Records Act 2012, which is the legislative framework that governs the Australian Digital Health Agency (ADHA) and the law by which that agency must abide?

On the matter of disclosure for law enforcement proposes and so on the Act (Section 70) states:

quote:

Disclosure for law enforcement purposes, etc.

(1) The System Operator is authorised to use or disclose health information included in a healthcare recipient’s My Health Record if the System Operator reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for one or more of the following things done by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body:

(a) the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law;

(b) the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime;

(c) the protection of the public revenue;

(d) the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;

(e) the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.

And notes:

https://twitter.com/drkerrynphelps/status/1020946048527712257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

IA posted:

If the data collection were primarily for our benefit, it would not be necessary for the Government to allow access by 15 enforcement agencies, without a warrant and without our knowledge. If this system was intended primarily to enable health professionals to better treat our ailments, it would not be necessary for anyone other than those health professionals to access our data. It would certainly not allow access to the Federal Police, ASIC, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection or any other agency responsible for “protecting public revenue”, to name just a few currently able to request warrantless access.

If nothing else, this misinformation campaign confirms that a centralised health database has little to do with our health and everything to do with government and corporate abuse of our most confidential data.

:tif:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

White people are the biggest fucken' snowflakes, I swear to god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This country cannot be saved - Man who put GST on Online Purchases, 2018.

• Locked thread