Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CuteStorm posted:

Not everyone who menstruates is a woman, and not all women menstruate. This has that horrible "We women ALL suffer from the same problem" copy that is wrong and outdated. Plenty of women do not have periods, and it's exhausting to constantly see "all women have x in common".

It's an advert, adverts are going to cater to the 99% of people they apply to. I get where you're coming from but it's going to be a long long time before we see gender neutral advertising for feminine hygiene products etc. It's by far the least of the issues with that particular product, the main one being it's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

CuteStorm posted:

Not everyone who menstruates is a woman, and not all women menstruate. This has that horrible "We women ALL suffer from the same problem" copy that is wrong and outdated. Plenty of women do not have periods, and it's exhausting to constantly see "all women have x in common".

I can't tell if I'm just being dupped here because Poe's law is strong with this one, but if you are serious, you need to probably back off on that stance.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They've been making various kinds of miniature Atari and Sega consoles with pre-loaded games for years before Nintendo finally got into the market.

Yeah, Nintendo's definitely a latecomer to this market, but they basically knocked it out of the park (apart from the supply problem). The other mini-preloaded-consoles are generally inferior, with cheap housings, cheap controllers, cheap output, poor menus, and poor emulation. Some company releasing Sega minis did a re-release of the Genesis/Master System mini after the NES Mini came out, and it wasn't much different from the like 3 versions they had released before.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, Nintendo's definitely a latecomer to this market, but they basically knocked it out of the park (apart from the supply problem). The other mini-preloaded-consoles are generally inferior, with cheap housings, cheap controllers, cheap output, poor menus, and poor emulation. Some company releasing Sega minis did a re-release of the Genesis/Master System mini after the NES Mini came out, and it wasn't much different from the like 3 versions they had released before.

Pretty much, yeah. I think Nintendo wasn't sure how much room there was in the market for a more high-quality version (the NES and SNES Minis are certainly more expensive) so they had limited runs to start with, but they've recently put both back into production and they're everywhere now.

It was briefly nice that the classic style controllers are also compatible with Wii and Wii U remotes, but that's a bit moot now they've moved on to completely different hardware with the Switch.

I think the crazy Atari classic Kickstarter is going for more the high-end while also basically being a pre-hacked one. (since as every single remotely hardware-proficient person says over and over, why not just get a Raspberry Pi and download a bunch of emulators?)

Though come to think of it, isn't that basically the Ouya?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Y'all are completely missing something though. The Atari thing is a full on computer, albeit only an impressive one compared to like 7-8 years ago. It's massively more powerful than the Raspberry Pi systems and quite a bit more powerful than the various other console clones or the Ouya.

This is probably because they needed the extra power to handle some of the arcade and Jaguar titles they're going to want to sell, but what really matters is that when you find one of these things on deep discount or at a thrift shop, it'll be pretty powerful hardware for $40 by then. Plus it'll play a decent amount of current steam titles on it once the thing is fully hacked to run Linux or Windows, cuz it is a full PC in there.

Really it's overkill for most of what they want to do, and no one should pay those prices they want. But it'll be pretty flexible as a used product.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I think Nintendo wasn't sure how much room there was in the market for a more high-quality version (the NES and SNES Minis are certainly more expensive) so they had limited runs to start with, but they've recently put both back into production and they're everywhere now.

It was briefly nice that the classic style controllers are also compatible with Wii and Wii U remotes, but that's a bit moot now they've moved on to completely different hardware with the Switch.

I think the crazy Atari classic Kickstarter is going for more the high-end while also basically being a pre-hacked one. (since as every single remotely hardware-proficient person says over and over, why not just get a Raspberry Pi and download a bunch of emulators?)

Though come to think of it, isn't that basically the Ouya?

The Atari VCS doesn't even have Ouya's "benefit" of being cheap. It starts at $240 without any controllers. Also, I just noticed the two controllers are $60 together. The 'All-In' package that includes the console and both controllers is $330. A Switch is $300. The X-Box One S and PS4 Slim can be had for less than $300.

VCS is trying to do a lot more than the other mini consoles (and it's not even 'mini' sized) and it seems to be a SFF linux computer that they apparently expect lots of people to make games for. People are going to get it (probably a year late, at best), remember that Atari games mostly sucked and almost none hold up today, and development will dry up about as fast as Ouya. Then they'll realize a $60 Roku, Fire TV, or Chromecast do a better job with streaming services. The online service will go offline two years after release as funding dries up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pyroclastic posted:

The Atari VCS doesn't even have Ouya's "benefit" of being cheap. It starts at $240 without any controllers. Also, I just noticed the two controllers are $60 together. The 'All-In' package that includes the console and both controllers is $330. A Switch is $300. The X-Box One S and PS4 Slim can be had for less than $300.

VCS is trying to do a lot more than the other mini consoles (and it's not even 'mini' sized) and it seems to be a SFF linux computer that they apparently expect lots of people to make games for. People are going to get it (probably a year late, at best), remember that Atari games mostly sucked and almost none hold up today, and development will dry up about as fast as Ouya. Then they'll realize a $60 Roku, Fire TV, or Chromecast do a better job with streaming services. The online service will go offline two years after release as funding dries up.

Yeah, the NES and especially SNES Mini (albiet I'm biased here) have the advantage of a lot of classic games that people often have terminal nostalgia for and many are recognised as some of the greatest games of all time and/or having had a massive influence on the medium, and in general most of them hold up at least okay, as well as having controllers and hardware that emulate the original experience as faithfully as possible. But the only Atari games that people ever talk about today are the infamously, disastrously bad ones like ET and sometimes the Pac-Man port. The previous Atari mini-consoles were at least cheap.

I'm not sure about the Sega ones, I think I've seen a few models of them with different collections of games. I think a lot of Master System and Genesis games fell into obscurity compared to Nintendo milking theirs for nostalgia.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I can't tell if I'm just being dupped here because Poe's law is strong with this one, but if you are serious, you need to probably back off on that stance.

No you see it's like all the ads saying "all men have to shave". It's really exhausting I don't know how people even deal with these incorrect claims.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

No you see it's like all the ads saying "all men have to shave". It's really exhausting I don't know how people even deal with these incorrect claims.

by not giving a gently caress, mostly

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

TetsuoTW posted:

Thank you

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
idk it costs zero to fix and even less to not complain about how an issue doesn't affect you

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TetsuoTW posted:

my victim complex doesnt allow for such things, and also how dare you

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Allstone posted:

idk it costs zero to fix and even less to not complain about how an issue doesn't affect you
the correct position

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Allstone posted:

Fix. How do we fix advertising for menstrual products to make it gender neutral? And why would we? Post-menopausal and post-hysterectomy women have managed to deal with the fact that these advertisements are not for them for ages without seeming to be exhausted by them. A fix that involves changing "women" to "men and women who happen to possesses a drippy female reproductive system" would be silly. Occasionally including a transman in the ads to be more inclusive would just be needlessly confusing. And those ads are already pretty confusing for the pubescent youth, what with the blue liquid and euphemisms and all.

Yeah, the product is for dealing with sloughed off uterine lining, and it certainly would be possible to talk about ways to deal with the waste produced by a sloughed off uterine lining without mentioning the people who typically have to deal with that problem. It would not be helpful to do so, because that's just going a step farther down the road of defining people by the reproductive their system.

Your drippy oval office, or lack of drippy oval office, does not define you as a person.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
it seems like if you wanted to refer to people who menstruate you could probably refer to them as 'people who menstruate'

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Allstone posted:

it seems like if you wanted to refer to people who menstruate you could probably refer to them as 'people who menstruate'

Actually in the context of an ad you have to refer to them as "active, independent women"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I suppose drippy cunts wouldn't get past focus groups :thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Do you drip blood from your crotch bits?' seems gender-neutral, but seems like a bad idea in the case of people with a cock and balls that may happen to be emitting blood, which requires a whole different kind of attention.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fix. How do we fix advertising for menstrual products to make it gender neutral? And why would we? Post-menopausal and post-hysterectomy women have managed to deal with the fact that these advertisements are not for them for ages without seeming to be exhausted by them. A fix that involves changing "women" to "men and women who happen to possesses a drippy female reproductive system" would be silly. Occasionally including a transman in the ads to be more inclusive would just be needlessly confusing. And those ads are already pretty confusing for the pubescent youth, what with the blue liquid and euphemisms and all.

Yeah, the product is for dealing with sloughed off uterine lining, and it certainly would be possible to talk about ways to deal with the waste produced by a sloughed off uterine lining without mentioning the people who typically have to deal with that problem. It would not be helpful to do so, because that's just going a step farther down the road of defining people by the reproductive their system.

Your drippy oval office, or lack of drippy oval office, does not define you as a person.

You seem real mad about this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TetsuoTW posted:

You seem real mad about this.

Sorry, I'm on the rag. Makes me cranky.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
it appears we have an active independent woman in the thread

:siren: release the bees :siren:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sorry, I'm on the rag. Makes me cranky.

Have you considered buying a cable winder for your feminine hygiene products? I hear there's a perfect kickstarter for that!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sneakyfrog posted:

it appears we have an active independent woman in the thread

:siren: release the bees :siren:

What if she becomes their queen

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just lol if you skeered of an active, independent woman bee monarch. they still ladies too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sneakyfrog posted:

just lol if you skeered of an active, independent woman bee monarch. they still ladies too.

Serve the hive

Feel the groove

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Allstone posted:

i mean you could

but it would be inconvenient, confusing, and ineffective as an advertising strategy so seems like the right call to me :shrug:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Allstone posted:

idk it costs zero to fix

“I know more about this subject than professionals whose entire career is understanding nuance in mass communication and how this affects customer perception and reception of the product, and believe that my proposed changes will have no effect on the bottom line of how the product is sold”

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Furia posted:

“I know more about this subject than professionals whose entire career is understanding nuance in mass communication and how this affects customer perception and reception of the product, and believe that my proposed changes will have no effect on the bottom line of how the product is sold”
lol professionals
lol nuance

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hey guys, the ol' Transphobia Alarm is going off again and I just wanted to check if everything's is alright in this here thr

oh. Oh no.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

While value-brand, CuteStorm, and others are correct in that women/girls are not the only people that menstruate, and as well that not everyone that menstruates may be a woman or a girl, others are also correct in observing that advertisers typically cater to their largest common denominator -- and in cases such as this kickstarter, where it's run by just a person or two, they may not have even thought or been aware of their mistake. Please let's not be at each others' throats over this.

Here's a kickstarter for recyclable toxin-less single-use PLASTIC-FREE!!! sandwich bags, presumably from people who have never heard of wax or parchment paper in their lives.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunchskins/lunchskins-recyclable-resealable-paper-sandwich-ba

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Oh my god. That bag has folded sides. And you can write on the bag. Truly this is a wonder of the ages.

Or you could use a sealable reusable container and never have to worry about any waste ever, plastic or otherwise.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I'm more worried about the fact that they named them "Lunchskins". Also, pretty sure those are the bags A&W uses for their burgers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

While value-brand, CuteStorm, and others are correct in that women/girls are not the only people that menstruate, and as well that not everyone that menstruates may be a woman or a girl, others are also correct in observing that advertisers typically cater to their largest common denominator -- and in cases such as this kickstarter, where it's run by just a person or two, they may not have even thought or been aware of their mistake. Please let's not be at each others' throats over this.

Here's a kickstarter for recyclable toxin-less single-use PLASTIC-FREE!!! sandwich bags, presumably from people who have never heard of wax or parchment paper in their lives.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunchskins/lunchskins-recyclable-resealable-paper-sandwich-ba

FUNDED

Jesus christ I really need to sit down one day and think of the easiest thing that already exists to put on there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can you recycle wax or parchment paper in most places? I know you can’t here.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Subjunctive posted:

Can you recycle wax or parchment paper in most places? I know you can’t here.

Good point, actually, but you can definitely get multiple uses from a single piece.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think I’m going to reuse the paper around my kid’s sandwich, honestly, but I’d actually be down with recyclable ziplock sorts of things (better containment than wrapping, people don’t have to smell my lunch all day, etc.). Better parents than me may have different preferences!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pyroclastic posted:

Nintendo outsourced that poo poo. They give no fucks. They're focused on switch.

Someone came to nintendo and said "we'll pay you so we can sell these" and nintendo said "okay. Just let us double check they actually work, and send those paychecks"

The UI on the minis makes it real clear nintendo didn't touch the development of them whatsoever.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Nintendo outsourced that poo poo. They give no fucks. They're focused on switch.

Someone came to nintendo and said "we'll pay you so we can sell these" and nintendo said "okay. Just let us double check they actually work, and send those paychecks"

The UI on the minis makes it real clear nintendo didn't touch the development of them whatsoever.

NERD is a Nintendo subsidiary, they developed the emulator that the classics use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_European_Research_%26_Development

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think I’m going to reuse the paper around my kid’s sandwich, honestly, but I’d actually be down with recyclable ziplock sorts of things (better containment than wrapping, people don’t have to smell my lunch all day, etc.). Better parents than me may have different preferences!

Ziploc bags are reusable (if you wash them) and recyclable where I live (hippietown).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i got one of these on clearance somewhere for my husband's lunches

there are also just like specifically sandwich-sized reusable plastic containers