Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I forget if this thread was also for photoreal CG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw-KKYpCARA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's totally still a live action movie not about cartoons so it doesn't belong here. Still it's an absolute trip to have just finished Volume 1 of the manga and seeing this.

It's a pretty great manga too if you happen to have it sitting around after a humble bundle impulse. Really kinetic art

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Das Boo posted:

We didn't have a lot of the crew back, but I was an... embarrassingly huge Zim fan back in the day. There's variance, but it doesn't pull that cliff jump that S5 Samurai Jack does. (And I'm only so harsh on that because episodes 1-3 blew me away.)

Plus Samurai Jack Season 5 had a lot more of the original crew involved than it sounds like Zim has

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like we're going to get to the point where we have to accept that live action is often more a matter of style than production.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

We didn't have a lot of the crew back, but I was an... embarrassingly huge Zim fan back in the day. There's variance, but it doesn't pull that cliff jump that S5 Samurai Jack does. (And I'm only so harsh on that because episodes 1-3 blew me away.) Having been on both sides of the fence now, Zim fans should be pretty happy with the final product.

I drew all the literal garbage that appears in the movie, btw. It kept me employed for 8 months. It is easter egg'd to gently caress.

Nice!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like we're going to get to the point where we have to accept that live action is often more a matter of style than production.

Not really. There's still a poo poo ton of differences in how the two are made.

But post production has ballooned in scope an insane amount, to the point where some movies are still being worked on two or three years after principle photography is done. So the argument could be made that post production specifically shares a lot of DNA with animated films.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
[quote="SatansBestBuddy" post="486401705"
But post production has ballooned in scope an insane amount, to the point where some movies are still being worked on two or three years after principle photography is done. So the argument could be made that post production specifically shares a lot of DNA with animated films.
[/quote]I mean in regards to films that look like live action but are almost completely computer animated.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I got a new production sketch for my collection today, I rarely post these any more but I really like this one :toot:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Is that a real Glen Keane?? :chanpop:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neon Noodle posted:

Is that a real Glen Keane?? :chanpop:

Yea, I have a bunch of Keanes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have a date on when it was drawn?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Do you have a date on when it was drawn?

No, sometime in the workings of Beauty and the Beast though of course. It's a rough, all his stuff looks like it.

Anyway it's not even CLOSE to the animation production work I'm most excited, even in the context of "this week" because FUCKCKCICICCKCKCKCK

As some of you may know, I've been trying to get a, literally any, loving Soviet animation cel for literally around a decade. ANY ONE. ANY. WHERE.

So what did I manage to acquire?

A cel of my favorite design from my favorite Soviet cartoon literally OF ALL TIME with ITS ORIGINAL PAINTED BACKGROUND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3wH0p9fC4

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all. I made a Youtube video about the idea of Animation as a meditative process, in particular talking about The Girl Without Hands and Loving Vincent. Lemme know what you guys think as I've only been doing this sorta stuff for a few months!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A-PXJpWqKw

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Pick posted:

No, sometime in the workings of Beauty and the Beast though of course. It's a rough, all his stuff looks like it.

Anyway it's not even CLOSE to the animation production work I'm most excited, even in the context of "this week" because FUCKCKCICICCKCKCKCK

As some of you may know, I've been trying to get a, literally any, loving Soviet animation cel for literally around a decade. ANY ONE. ANY. WHERE.

So what did I manage to acquire?

A cel of my favorite design from my favorite Soviet cartoon literally OF ALL TIME with ITS ORIGINAL PAINTED BACKGROUND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3wH0p9fC4

Owns bones

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So Long Way North is pretty good. It turns out the thing is with the dub - and I don't know if this was emulating something that was done in the original French - that they're either recorded or post-processed to sound like they were recorded on-location, so the acoustics of a lot of interior scenes is so intense that you often can't even tell what anyone is saying. And with the limited animation, it also creates this weird sense of cognitive dissonance. It's ultimately a kind of cool choice that really sets you into the right mind frame for watching the movie. The way everything is paced, the way music is used so sparingly, it's really one of the more idiosyncratic commercial animated features I've seen in a while.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Teen Titans Go To The Movies was good! They did a great job making the visual style of the TV show cinematic, and there were three or four sequences where they changed the style up completely and had some fun with the medium. There’s a really good Lauren Faust directed DC Superhero Girls short that ran in front of it that I didn’t know about until it started, so that was a nice surprise.

What struck me leaving the theatre is that the release schedule for animated films is so dire his year that there’s a good chance that it’ll end up being a nominee for best animated picture, which is kinda :psyduck:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

lelandjs posted:

What struck me leaving the theatre is that the release schedule for animated films is so dire his year that there’s a good chance that it’ll end up being a nominee for best animated picture, which is kinda :psyduck:

Brief reminder that they nominated Boss Baby last year, TTG doesn’t stand a chance.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's some buzz there's a post-credits sequence with the original iteration of Teen Titans announcing they'll be back, but I'm skeptical given TTG's crew has a history of trolling and insulting the fans of the first series.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

Brief reminder that they nominated Boss Baby last year, TTG doesn’t stand a chance.

Brief reminder that Boss Baby is actually pretty funny.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pirate Jet posted:

What other animated films came out/are coming out this year though? My guess is that the noms will be:

*Incredibles 2
*Isle Of Dogs
*Spider-Man
*Teen Titans Go
*Early Man
*Ralph Advertises Websites

I guess there’s a chance Hotel Transylvania 3 or a foreign film gets nommed instead of TTG but it’s slim pickings this year. It’s also just as likely that people forget about Isle of Dogs by the time noms roll around.

Robindaybird posted:

There's some buzz there's a post-credits sequence with the original iteration of Teen Titans announcing they'll be back, but I'm skeptical given TTG's crew has a history of trolling and insulting the fans of the first series.

Tara Strong has a recorded phone call where a WB exec promises to bring the original series back if TTGTTM does well.

I don’t know what the metric for “well” is, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boss Baby also has some AWESOME stylistic animation in it. The "imagination" scenes are really well done.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

lelandjs posted:

Tara Strong has a recorded phone call where a WB exec promises to bring the original series back if TTGTTM does well.

Ugh, I hate this kind of suit-thinking tactic.

"We'll bring a show people want by forcing them to watch a movie of a show they hate", Capcom pulled this kind of crap too, making franchises localization/continuation base on the success of unrelated series.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

lelandjs posted:

What other animated films came out/are coming out this year though? My guess is that the noms will be:

*Incredibles 2
*Isle Of Dogs
*Spider-Man
*Teen Titans Go
*Early Man
*Ralph Advertises Websites

I guess there’s a chance Hotel Transylvania 3 or a foreign film gets nommed instead of TTG but it’s slim pickings this year. It’s also just as likely that people forget about Isle of Dogs by the time noms roll around.

if anything I'd expect isle of dogs to get a best pic nom so the academy can pretend they watch animated movies for another year

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My review of the teen titans movie: a lot of the jokes were very extremely funny but the movie felt so draggy. Like they had written 3 really good episodes of the show and just stretched every scene out to be way longer instead of writing more stuff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh, I hate this kind of suit-thinking tactic.

"We'll bring a show people want by forcing them to watch a movie of a show they hate", Capcom pulled this kind of crap too, making franchises localization/continuation base on the success of unrelated series.

We'll bring you the newest Ace Attorney Investigations game...if this current Ace Attorney game (the worst one in the series) does better than all the rest combined.

gently caress you, Capcom.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Robindaybird posted:

Again I dunno why you’d want to bring back the inferior version of Teen Titans Go but I suppose there are a handful of those weirdos out there

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Again I dunno why you’d want to bring back the inferior version of Teen Titans Go but I suppose there are a handful of those weirdos out there

M...mods?!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/_ibcf_/status/1022973169928269825
https://twitter.com/3optic/status/1022979513427189760

So the team behind that new "1000+ minutes of looney tunes" project (which has Uncle Grandpa creator Pete Browngadt as showrunner) were the ones behind the new logo

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Macaluso posted:

Again I dunno why you’d want to bring back the superior version of Teen Titans Go but I suppose there are a handful of those weirdos out there

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

https://twitter.com/_ibcf_/status/1022973169928269825
https://twitter.com/3optic/status/1022979513427189760

So the team behind that new "1000+ minutes of looney tunes" project (which has Uncle Grandpa creator Pete Browngadt as showrunner) were the ones behind the new logo

wow thats pretty good, hopes for a new looney toon show that goes back to its roots rising?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

K. Waste posted:

Shot (joke) context:

Batty Baseball (Tex Avery, 1944)

Storytime (Terry Gilliam, 1968)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam, 1975)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wonder how many people would even get the WC Fields joke, now days.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Pixeltendo posted:

wow thats pretty good, hopes for a new looney toon show that goes back to its roots rising?

It is nice seeing them use the superior pre-Chuck Jones style Daffy if nothing else

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

One of the animators is Jim Soper, a god among men.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since nobody's really talking about it, TTG was a lot of fun to see with my kid. Good humor, good music, nice use of varied animation styles, tons of references for older watchers that don't get in the way. It was almost like a lighter version of Harvey Birdman with how much it played with the propeties

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Thompsons posted:

It is nice seeing them use the superior pre-Chuck Jones style Daffy if nothing else

I prefer rear end in a top hat conniving Daffy :( I was never a fan of the old crazy version

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbb8zPQBmOw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I prefer rear end in a top hat conniving Daffy :( I was never a fan of the old crazy version

He's best when he's going, "I'm a craven little coward... but I'm a greeeeeedy craven little coward!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oh boy I wonder what lovely unfunny pointlessly vulgar story he wrote 40 years ago will that one dude put in this season

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I really want to hear the executive who justifies bringing back a series based on the fact that the new, cheaper to produce iteration is really popular. I know suits aren’t always the best at decision-making, but it’s usually artistic decisions and not business ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Teen Titans Go to the Movies rules