Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't use any FC buffs they're distracting on my buff bar

I know the post is at least half tongue in cheek, but just in case someone doesn't know:

In UI settings click the buff bar, click the cog wheel and select "separate bars" or something like that. Move misc buffs (mounted, fc buffs) off to the edge and enjoy finally having those buff icons out of the middle of your screen all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NeurosisHead posted:

Hi I'm level 31 and just figured out that the blue question mark quest markers unlock features and dungeons and poo poo. Time to traipse across the world unlocking things I should have unlocked already!

Bookmark this page: https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Wacky Delly posted:

I am finished. I beat the game.

I know I'm later than a lot of people, but I'm done.

:nice: I'm getting there, myself.

I'm not entirely sure why I put off WAR for last. It's pretty fun, has a great /vpose, and works a lot better on controller than DRK's Dark Arts spam or PLD's insane button overload.

tried too hard to look badass, cracked up laughing like a dork

Also, power leveling all of the non-CUL crafters has blown through a good chunk of my money, but eh. At least I can craft overpriced bikinis now!

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 24, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wish the game had a Steam achivements page, I want to show off the fact that I've shown up to PvP often enough to get a few wins.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Its terrible for my dps but I never clip the animation for dream within a dream because it looks real cool.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Its terrible for my dps but I never clip the animation for dream within a dream because it looks real cool.

If the boss is really close to dead when I do it, I'll let the whole katana sheathing animation play after doing lb3 as a sam.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'm sure this has been answered before - that's a lot of pages :ohdear: - but how laid back is progression in this, and does the PS4 controller translate well to the game mechanics? I'm looking at picking this up, cross PC and PS4 servers mean I won't be completely seperate from anyone I know, but still.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Progression as in end game raiding or the main story?

Game is great on a controller; the cross bar is legitimately good control scheme.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Safeword posted:

I'm sure this has been answered before - that's a lot of pages :ohdear: - but how laid back is progression in this, and does the PS4 controller translate well to the game mechanics? I'm looking at picking this up, cross PC and PS4 servers mean I won't be completely seperate from anyone I know, but still.

My wife isn't a huge gamer and has never played a mmo before but she picked the game up recently on ps4 and has been having no problem with the controller.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Progression as in main story. I'd like to see some of the raids, but my work hours mean I wouldn't be able to maintain a raid schedule. I like to explore and chip away at stuff.

And thanks. Looking elsewhere others have said the controls are quite intuitive. I'm just having wrist pain thinking of Warcraft on a controller.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, SE really went out of their way to design a controller setup that works well. Menu navigation is as much of a drag as in any JRPG, but once you're actually fighting things are very smooth.

The Main Story's difficulty curve is really gentle and basically treats you like it's your first MMO for a good while. There are a lot of 4-man dungeons and a few 8-man boss battles here and there, but the game does a lot to keep the dungeon finder queues populated by veteran players so you shouldn't ever have a hard time finding a party for that stuff. It's definitely something you can just kinda chip away at as your schedule allows without any need to feel like you've gotta GET TO ENDGAME RIGHT NOW OR YOU'LL MISS SOMETHING.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive never used a controller but Ive known some people who switched to it out of curiosity and never came back.

Main story stuff is pretty chill, the only real fight I can think of that you cant learn on the fly is moogle mog, everything else is at most one death if you dont initially pick up the cues for the hard hitting stuff. Stormblood definitely asks more of the player but its just complicated versions of mechanics you should already know.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The story content is best enjoyed in chunks of time rather than rushed through all at once, so going at it slowly will probably actually be beneficial to your enjoyment.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

The story content is best enjoyed in chunks of time rather than rushed through all at once, so going at it slowly will probably actually be beneficial to your enjoyment.

Also once you get to a point in the story where it tells you youre fighting titan again, skip every cutscene until you're in kobold territory.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Control Volume posted:

Ive never used a controller but Ive known some people who switched to it out of curiosity and never came back.

I am one of these people. I swapped to a controller and have not really regretted it. The main problem I have is not having an accessible Push to talk key for discord.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Yep, long-term WoW player, picked up controller, got frustrated for like a week, got used to it, never looked back. I can't imagine playing this game with kb/m at this point.

The whole game is designed to work well with controllers. It's not even just the (fantastic) control scheme - even things like the slower GCD make it more comfortable. Not just for easier content too - I do savage raiding and have never felt remotely hindered by playing on controller.

I didn't want to be that guy but during all the mouse chat I was definitely thinking about how there's already an excellent solution to that problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Safeword posted:

Progression as in main story. I'd like to see some of the raids, but my work hours mean I wouldn't be able to maintain a raid schedule. I like to explore and chip away at stuff.

And thanks. Looking elsewhere others have said the controls are quite intuitive. I'm just having wrist pain thinking of Warcraft on a controller.

Treat the game as you would any other 100 hour JRPG; 2 hours here, 30 minutes there, 8 hours on a rainy weekend, etc.

The two rough patches are the MSQ gap between levels 46 and 49 (the game seriously goes "come back in 3 levels", but you can mitigate it by being slightly overleveled via dungeon roulettes and challenge log bonus xp) and the post 2.0 content until you hit Heavensward. It's good! But it takes some time and hasn't aged very well; however, you'll go from the lowest point of the game pacing wise to one of the highest peaks, so don't fret.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thank you, everyone. :)

I'm currently downloading the trial so we will see how it goes! A friend of mine raves about the fishing system and how she's sunk hours into it. Not entirely sure if that bodes well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I started with MAR, because DRK looked cool. Should I switch as soon as it opens up, or take MAR to 70 first?

Also, regarding controller chat. Did you have to do anything special to get your buttons arranged in a way that makes sense, or do they map intelligently out of the box?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you want to play as a Dark Knight, you should swap over to it right away. Bear in mind, however, that you'll be a minimum of level 50 by the time you get into Ishgard and can unlock Dark Knight, which starts at 30. The main story stuff in Ishgard requires you to be level 50, so you'll have to level back up to 50 again.

For abilities, I think it just dumps the ability in the first open spot, since that's how it works for keyboard.

Also, nitpicky, but you should not be a level 70 Marauder. You should be a Warrior. If you don't go unlock and equip your job stone as soon as possible, you're loving up. Please do not gently caress up. The game will basically point you to what you need to do to become a proper Warrior, so don't worry about missing it. Just make sure you get your job stone, and save your gear set (this will be covered by the game when the time is right) with the job stone equipped so you don't have to keep re-equipping it.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

NeurosisHead posted:

I started with MAR, because DRK looked cool. Should I switch as soon as it opens up, or take MAR to 70 first?

Also, regarding controller chat. Did you have to do anything special to get your buttons arranged in a way that makes sense, or do they map intelligently out of the box?

You're gonna have to do some remapping for sure.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

MechaCrash posted:

If you want to play as a Dark Knight, you should swap over to it right away. Bear in mind, however, that you'll be a minimum of level 50 by the time you get into Ishgard and can unlock Dark Knight, which starts at 30. The main story stuff in Ishgard requires you to be level 50, so you'll have to level back up to 50 again.

For abilities, I think it just dumps the ability in the first open spot, since that's how it works for keyboard.

Also, nitpicky, but you should not be a level 70 Marauder. You should be a Warrior. If you don't go unlock and equip your job stone as soon as possible, you're loving up. Please do not gently caress up. The game will basically point you to what you need to do to become a proper Warrior, so don't worry about missing it. Just make sure you get your job stone, and save your gear set (this will be covered by the game when the time is right) with the job stone equipped so you don't have to keep re-equipping it.

I have the warrior job stone, did it right at 30 when the quest opened up. I just still think of the class as marauder, since the only thing that changed is having a couple less role actions available and I only played for like another hour after getting it. I'm new to the game so thinking in terms of the different jobs is still a little alien, but I'm getting the hang of it.

It'll probably be a while before I get to 50 to change classes to DRK. I'm guessing that duty finder/roulette/leves/class quests are the main way to level up new jobs?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

I have the warrior job stone, did it right at 30 when the quest opened up. I just still think of the class as marauder, since the only thing that changed is having a couple less role actions available and I only played for like another hour after getting it. I'm new to the game so thinking in terms of the different jobs is still a little alien, but I'm getting the hang of it.

People generally consider the jobs to be the "real" names of the classes--the whole class/job dichotomy thing is sort of vestigial at this point. It's really just a terminology thing since there's no reason not to use your job stone at all times. All the jobs added in Heavensward and Stormblood just skip the base class thing entirely.

(Incidentally, it makes Scholar even more weird and unique. Not only is it the only class with two different jobs, it's probably going to be the only one ever.)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Okay, so about Midgardsomr, basically you beat him and he thinks you're hax, so he takes away your blessing to see if you're truly worthy, and once you've proven yourself enough times he goes "wow you're actually cool, awesome" and lets you ride him. Did I get that right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay, so about Midgardsomr, basically you beat him and he thinks you're hax, so he takes away your blessing to see if you're truly worthy, and once you've proven yourself enough times he goes "wow you're actually cool, awesome" and lets you ride him. Did I get that right?

To my recollection, more or less. The translation is really spotty on the first half of that for some reason.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

think of him like your dragon dad who's frustrated that you're leeching off your crystal mom and while he's kind of a dick about it he ultimately wants you to grow to be capable in your own right while your crystal mom recovers the power you drained when she shielded you from Ultima

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

He thinks, essentially, that you've been spoiled rotten by your gifts and haven't really accomplished anything on your own. He makes a deal with Hydaelyn to strip you of your blessing of Light (the thing that protects you from the power of the Ascians) and turn its aether into a new, physical form that he can follow you around with. After your meeting with Tiamat, he becomes convinced you're the real deal, and you regain the blessing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The best thing about Midgardsomr is the descriptions for the minion and mount

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

It'll probably be a while before I get to 50 to change classes to DRK. I'm guessing that duty finder/roulette/leves/class quests are the main way to level up new jobs?

On tanks you can just do your roulettes and then spam your highest level dungeon since you won't ever have queue times.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vermain posted:

He thinks, essentially, that you've been spoiled rotten by your gifts and haven't really accomplished anything on your own. He makes a deal with Hydaelyn to strip you of your blessing of Light (the thing that protects you from the power of the Ascians) and turn its aether into a new, physical form that he can follow you around with. After your meeting with Tiamat, he becomes convinced you're the real deal, and you regain the blessing.

I thought we were regaining the blessing on our own.

It was just an excuse to kill off Moenbryda and had no actual bearing on anything else in the game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Phone posted:

The best thing about Midgardsomr is the descriptions for the minion and mount

Naw, the best thing is how the minion forces itself into your minion list instead of being an inventory item you manually pop to add to it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
All of the reasons provided above are correct but Midgardsormr (2.5/Keeper of the Lake spoilers) also does it to give Hydaelyn a break. After the Ultima fight, she's been struggling to keep you shielded, so Midgardsormr gets to kill two birds with one crystal by stripping you of the blessing: letting Hydaelyn rest and recover her energy and also make you earn your god-killing status legitimately.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Who thought it would be a good idea to make the 60 DRG quest duty against a boss who jumps every 30 seconds so you can't keep up Blood of the Dragon?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arist posted:

Who thought it would be a good idea to make the 60 DRG quest duty against a boss who jumps every 30 seconds so you can't keep up Blood of the Dragon?

The same guy who keeps having bosses with invincibility phases and makes you drop your 3 grease lightning stacks.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Is it ok to post my RAF referral here for new guys? I only need 3 more feathers for the mount :shobon:

I'll take it down if it's a problem

quote:

After purchasing the game, log into the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station and enter the following recruitment code to redeem in-game rewards: XFD955FB
https://sqex.to/z-V

the panacea fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 24, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honestly I kind of prefer the constant jumping and learning early about the pain of keeping that buff active to some of the over tuned SB dps job quests where you practically have to prog to figure out how to not die.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

I only vaguely remember that one, but I feel like it has a huge AOE thing, too, right?

Thundarr posted:

Honestly I kind of prefer the constant jumping and learning early about the pain of keeping that buff active to some of the over tuned SB dps job quests where you practically have to prog to figure out how to not die.

Welcome to the Level 70 BLM quest. Did Enochain fall off while you were dodging? Yes?

PREPARE TO DIE. :unsmigghh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I only vaguely remember that one, but I feel like it has a huge AOE thing, too, right?

Huge line AoE a la the last boss of Stone Vigil, and tons of dropping icicles that shoot more lines towards you. Those happen every time it jumps.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I bought this game at launch as well as when Stormblood launched for PC, and now I'm finding myself wanting to check this out on PS4. I know you need to buy a whole new license, but is there any deals or discounts available out there for existing players that want to change platforms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh good grief, I have to update through the PS4 game client and can't leave this to download while I'm doing something else? This is a ten hour download...

Rest mode suspends the download. Ugh.