Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
with the gold hoarding thing, like if we are talking boomers i would imagine that the whole "store your money in the form of rare metals" comes probably from what the depression generation taught them about mistrusting banks. maybe?? that, and brain worms spreading down thru the bloodlines

edit:

Boomers the Goldsquerade: Bloodlines

Nwabudike Morgan fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Saw this on the AV Club this morning. I had forgotten that FOX went after Fred Rogers one time

It's 3 p.m., let's watch Fox News blame Mr. Rogers for "ruining an entire generation"

https://news.avclub.com/its-3-p-m-lets-watch-fox-news-blame-mr-rogers-for-r-1827757092

FOXNews posted:

Rogers’ sin, apparently, was in telling children that they’re special, “even if they didn’t deserve it.” In the estimation of these hosts—and this, it’s very clear, is not hyperbole—one must earn the distinction of being special. “He didn’t say, ‘If you wanna be special you gotta work hard,’” shrieks one of these goblins. “The world owes you nothing and you gotta prove it!” Yes, that sounds like a much better show for children.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Fart City posted:

The epitome of white privilege is believing you can reject the claim of white privilege when it is thrust upon you.

There was the white girl in Kent State who took photos of her with an AR15 on campus saying, "I'll never be a victim"

Then social media went hard at her for her privileged ability to walk on campus with weapons and not get murdered.

Then she went on fox news and cried as a victim of "racism against white people".

Basically, these broke brain idiots have no ability to self evaluate or reflect.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

McGlockenshire posted:

So what did Tucker Carlson have to say, if anything, about the total bunk that was his "secret insider" knowledge about the Podestas being some of the Manafort trial witnesses given partial immunity?

Tucker's been too busy saying too many immigrants are ruining America and letting poor minorities be air traffic controllers is LITERALLY GOING TO KILL US ALL

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Listening to Kilmeade, Rush and Hannity lately and their relentless assault on the FBI and DOJ being "biased" and it occurred to me, what if that's actually true?

These people vote and are beholden to the Commander in Chief so if they determine that candidate Donald Trump is a dangerous unstable rear end in a top hat and realize that he would be terrible from a law enforcement perspective because he is a liar and a criminal with nefarious ties to a foreign power? How is that "bias" and not just a logical assessment of a political candidate? They're allowed to vote and share political opinions and, like the President, have affairs.

What I mean is, if these people are sharing information via tweets that effectively say "holy poo poo. Electing this guy would be a disaster and I loathe the idea of working for him", isn't that coming from an informed place as a DOJ official and not some shadowy conspiracy motive?

The DOJ is notoriously conservative and sworn not to let politics interfere with their jobs (which I don't think they did) so why, all of a sudden, is it proffered that they turned hard left and went full Deep State simply because they realized that Trump is insane and unfit for office? Seems like a smart conclusion to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The big conflict there is that law enforcement investigators independently came to the conclusion that Trump is a dangerous idiot.

Trump is infallible, but Blue Lives never err! So a third, insane option has to be the truth. No matter how flimsy an explanation it is, it's still preferable to introspection, provides a Bad Guy, and makes a conservative the victim.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

with the gold hoarding thing, like if we are talking boomers i would imagine that the whole "store your money in the form of rare metals" comes probably from what the depression generation taught them about mistrusting banks. maybe?? that, and brain worms spreading down thru the bloodlines

edit:

Boomers didn't live through the depression though, that's why they suck compared to their parents

E: that and all the lead in their brains

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
It seems like, for the most part, the higher ups at DoJ are pretty good at segregating their first amendment rights as a citizen and the work they do in an official role - I think Rosenstein and Comey are both pretty decent examples of this. Comey made some pretty bad calls, but they were judgement calls however they went and don't seem to fit into a narrative of being anti-Trump: re-openeing the Hillary email investigation less than two weeks before the election being the most obvious example.

I think the vast majority of high-level appointees - especially law enforcement - are pretty good at not letting personal politics interfere with their mandates overall. Obviously there are exceptions - DeVos and Pruitt being the most recent examples, but overall people actually try to do the best job they can.

RWM is pushing the anti-DoJ narrative because discrediting the investigation is their best path towards letting Trump et. all get away with everything they did, I don't think it goes any deeper than that. Even Justice Roberts, who I recall was supposed to be an unimpeachable small government conservative has ruled multiple times against conservative causes.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

There was the white girl in Kent State who took photos of her with an AR15 on campus saying, "I'll never be a victim"

Then social media went hard at her for her privileged ability to walk on campus with weapons and not get murdered.

Then she went on fox news and cried as a victim of "racism against white people".

Basically, these broke brain idiots have no ability to self evaluate or reflect.

She's the woman who came up with the idea for the Turning Point USA Diaper Protest, and left TPUSA because they weren't racist enough for her.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

BiggerBoat posted:

Listening to Kilmeade, Rush and Hannity lately and their relentless assault on the FBI and DOJ being "biased" and it occurred to me, what if that's actually true?

These people vote and are beholden to the Commander in Chief so if they determine that candidate Donald Trump is a dangerous unstable rear end in a top hat and realize that he would be terrible from a law enforcement perspective because he is a liar and a criminal with nefarious ties to a foreign power? How is that "bias" and not just a logical assessment of a political candidate? They're allowed to vote and share political opinions and, like the President, have affairs.

What I mean is, if these people are sharing information via tweets that effectively say "holy poo poo. Electing this guy would be a disaster and I loathe the idea of working for him", isn't that coming from an informed place as a DOJ official and not some shadowy conspiracy motive?

The DOJ is notoriously conservative and sworn not to let politics interfere with their jobs (which I don't think they did) so why, all of a sudden, is it proffered that they turned hard left and went full Deep State simply because they realized that Trump is insane and unfit for office? Seems like a smart conclusion to me.

This is the GOP and Trump's plan. You make anyone who doesn't support you an "enemy of the state".

It's straight up the same things honest to God dictators do.

Anyone who can't see the trajectory of the GOP is an idiot or complicit in their destruction of America.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Vice News did a report last night about how Trump's polls are the highest (positive) of any Republican President (among Republicans) in modern history right now.

The problem isn't with the Republican Congress, or Trump and his stooges. It's with the people. The assholes keep doing things that the people allow, it's that simple.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah notice how they keep screaming about how the rest of the media is in the deep state and or left's pocket and just want to destroy the right because reasons. They really are literal fascists right now.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

XtraSmiley posted:

Vice News did a report last night about how Trump's polls are the highest (positive) of any Republican President (among Republicans) in modern history right now.

The problem isn't with the Republican Congress, or Trump and his stooges. It's with the people. The assholes keep doing things that the people allow, it's that simple.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that fewer people are identifying as Republican. The approval rating is higher because people that disapprove are starting to call themselves independents.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

At the same time, I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that fewer people are identifying as Republican. The approval rating is higher because people that disapprove are starting to call themselves independents.

Republicans are literally a dying demographic. The alt right isn't nearly as big as they think they are and the main demographic is still angry white people with money. As the system turbo fucks young white people too they can't keep that up. It isn't sustainable.

Young people in America are left as gently caress overall. The only way the republicans can stay in power is to rig the game continually harder.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

edit:

Was not gold not legal for mass public to hold for many decade? In great depression, many country demanded return of gold holdings among public, and this stay through World War II and early cold War. You could have gold jewelry and gold plated things, but holding bullion and bar type in bulk became not legal and coins restricted. Fairly sure this was especially done in America, so is not real a historic thing.

New gold hoarding industry is to do with racist right wing groups during 80th decades mostly. Lot to do with smuggling wealth in and out of apartheid South Africa...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Republicans are literally a dying demographic. The alt right isn't nearly as big as they think they are and the main demographic is still angry white people with money. As the system turbo fucks young white people too they can't keep that up. It isn't sustainable.

Young people in America are left as gently caress overall. The only way the republicans can stay in power is to rig the game continually harder.

And, you know, hope that the Youngs continue to piss their future away off-year election after off-year election by just not voting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nine-gear crow posted:

And, you know, hope that the Youngs continue to piss their future away off-year election after off-year election by just not voting.

Please ignore the massive disenfranchisement campaign by the GOP to make it so that specifically the college aged demographic cannot vote due to their lack of permanent resident. Never mind the broader movement to insist that birthright citizenship shouldn't be a thing.

Punch down, though. Teach those ungrateful young people who's boss.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't know about that. Look at Ocasio's turn out. People just need a candidate instead of the usual corporate stooge.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

https://twitter.com/NormOrnstein/status/1016789064379334656

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Phone posted:

Never mind the broader movement to insist that birthright citizenship shouldn't be a thing.

Unless the 14th amendment gets repealed it's going to continue to be a thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah notice how they keep screaming about how the rest of the media is in the deep state and or left's pocket and just want to destroy the right because reasons.

Speaking for myself, I have lots of reasons. But I don't work for the FBI either.

I've noticed several posters in the Trump thread talking more and more about RWM and its pervasive influence. I'm not happy to be right about the reasons I started this thread but it's real and it's palpable. Only thing that surprises me is the sheer speed through which it really managed to take hold. I thought it would take longer and gave Americans too much credit to be able to differentiate between and advertisement and a fact.

The US to me is just one giant loving commercial.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Counterpoint.: Trump's approval rating has been holding steady at 45% for months now

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

Counterpoint.: Trump's approval rating has been holding steady at 45% for months now

That's pretty much as high as it can get, unless he manages to actually and verifiably disarm North Korea. Republicans are at ~80-90% approval, so the only way it can go up is for him to make inroads with everyone else who hold him in utter contempt. Of course, if anyone's stupid enough to think that that means anything for 2020, go look at how the Electoral College is distributed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah at this point America really just is one giant commercial. No matter what you do or where you go there is an absurd, cacophanous amount of advertising. The people with the most money have bought and paid for our government. All they care about is getting more money and they'll shout at you non-stop even after you've given it to them because it is never enough.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Isn't she one of the people that organized the diaper protest?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The Clinton investigation was run so as to minimise the leaks the FBI's New York office could feed to the Republicans. Comey did his thing in part because everything was leaked or about to get leaked to Republican Politicians and he wanted to get in ahead of it so he wouldn't be excoriated by the right.

Nothing about the investigations of Trump or people associated with the Trump campaign was leaked by the FBI ahead of the election. Strzok, who was grilled by Congress about his horrible horrible Liberal bias for being uncomfortable about Trump being President of the US, never leaked, never took any direct action to sink Trump's candidacy.

Not to mention Republican's investigating Democrats is the least that is required. Who else but a registered Republican to investigate Clinton. A Democrat anywhere near a probe into Republican misconduct? Scandal!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Munin posted:

The Clinton investigation was run so as to minimise the leaks the FBI's New York office could feed to the Republicans. Comey did his thing in part because everything was leaked or about to get leaked to Republican Politicians and he wanted to get in ahead of it so he wouldn't be excoriated by the right.

Nothing about the investigations of Trump or people associated with the Trump campaign was leaked by the FBI ahead of the election. Strzok, who was grilled by Congress about his horrible horrible Liberal bias for being uncomfortable about Trump being President of the US, never leaked, never took any direct action to sink Trump's candidacy.

Not to mention Republican's investigating Democrats is the least that is required. Who else but a registered Republican to investigate Clinton. A Democrat anywhere near a probe into Republican misconduct? Scandal!

Yeah, but I heard this whole thing is a witch hunt though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, but I heard this whole thing is a witch hunt though.

Does that mean that if it turns up any witches we can test them in the old ways?

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Was not gold not legal for mass public to hold for many decade? In great depression, many country demanded return of gold holdings among public, and this stay through World War II and early cold War. You could have gold jewelry and gold plated things, but holding bullion and bar type in bulk became not legal and coins restricted. Fairly sure this was especially done in America, so is not real a historic thing.

New gold hoarding industry is to do with racist right wing groups during 80th decades mostly. Lot to do with smuggling wealth in and out of apartheid South Africa...

i believe you are correct, but more i was opining that maybe that crash-to-prosperity roller coaster may have driven the OG olds to hoard precious metals n stuff. what's this about the smuggling wealth though? i do not know anything about that and would like to

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i believe you are correct, but more i was opining that maybe that crash-to-prosperity roller coaster may have driven the OG olds to hoard precious metals n stuff. what's this about the smuggling wealth though? i do not know anything about that and would like to

In last few decades of Apartheid government more and more country apply trade sanction and embargo, to protest apartheid system. However very few places would bar the transfer of the precious metals and gems from the country entire, even country with heavy restriction on other goods. Even banking transfer could be difficult if using South Africa Rand.

So how is South Africa rich people to get easily usable US Dollar, UK Pound, Deutsche Mark etc into their hands to use outside country, order fancy things? South Africa Mint starts to heavily market existing 'Krugerrand' 1 troy ounce gold coins. Minting of coin expands greatly, and this is heavily sold on the world market. At one point, krugerrand coin so produced they make over 5 millions coin a year and it represent greater than 9/10 of global gold coin purchase. Throught 70th many country start banning imports of even these, and in 80th it becomes near wholly banned as even US block it in 1985. But there is lively semi-legal trade still from importers buying large amounts to sketchy countries, where it remains legal for coins to be resold into embargo countries through front company. But this did not last and production of coin has to slow severely up til point of legal end to apartheid and transition period, where very few coin are made as South Africa no longer need rely on massive gold reserve as last commerce oppurtunity, normal investment can resume there and does.

Some other notes is, the coin of course features the old President Kruger, who represented only supporting the "Afrikaner" dutch white residents, over the native Africans and of course the British and other white immigrants. This was basically intentional insult by South African authority to how unpopular in world apartheid had already become not long after it starts. Also Ron Paul sold a lot of Krugerrand to survivalists and conservative nazi type who read his newsletters throughout the Apartheid period which just one more nail in him being real rear end. Even today as legacy of this, if someone tells you they invest in gold and they have krugerrand it is pretty certain they are big Nazi guy. If you just want to be gold investor there are many government and private mints who put out high quality coins for many decades to buy from, they did not need to buy of Apartheid-time South Africa.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BiggerBoat posted:

That's what Rasmussen has his approval at. The actual number is closer to 41%.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Keeshhound posted:

Does that mean that if it turns up any witches we can test them in the old ways?

I 100% support using a dunking stool on Trump and his cronies.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Strange Poon posted:

Isn't she one of the people that organized the diaper protest?

Evidently, yes.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

We can use my large scales

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

"He turned me into a Newt!"

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Here's Maddow showing the Whitehouse trying to rewrite history.

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/1021929595883405313?s=19

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wonder when we'll find out what tapes Cohen has that have Hannity on them?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hannity will be on a cellphone and there will be obvious crying in the background that he keeps trying to shut up until an audible gunshot is heard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Omg the administration who hasn't been complying with federal record requirements CHANGED THEIR WEBSITE. I can't believe that the people who were running around with cell phones until well after John Kelly's poo poo got hacked are so brazen to edit a transcript.

Huge news. Absolutely massive.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Hannity will be on a cellphone and there will be obvious crying in the background that he keeps trying to shut up until an audible gunshot is heard.

Hopefully this would be the non zero amount of people that live through that but in the worst possible way.

Also he's still deemed fit to sit trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phone posted:

Omg the administration who hasn't been complying with federal record requirements CHANGED THEIR WEBSITE. I can't believe that the people who were running around with cell phones until well after John Kelly's poo poo got hacked are so brazen to edit a transcript.

Huge news. Absolutely massive.

It’s going to get lost in the rush of information and nothing will happen.