Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How's the thread?
This poll is closed.
Chill 11 10.48%
Comfy 16 15.24%
Relaxing 3 2.86%
Witty 0 0%
Delightful 1 0.95%
Cool 1 0.95%
Engaging 0 0%
:kazooieass: 73 69.52%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Nope. They're basically at the top of a large amounts of food chains, because they suck blood from a lot of animals including humans and don't have anything in particular hunting them (spiders will eat them sometimes, if they fly into their nets - but that's because spider buddies aren't picky eaters).
There's been talk of using Cas9-CRISPR to modify a mosquito genome such that all the females, which are the only ones that suck blood iirc, will be rendered sterile in a few generations (since Cas9-CRISPR can be used to program genes generations in advance) since there's no immediate downside to this - but Cas9-CRISPR was recently found to not be as great as the science press would have everyone believe.

Yeah, I remember hearing about an idea to gene drive mosquitoes to kill off their ability to transmit malaria. Hadn't heard of doing it to just kill them off entirely.

I'd be all for it, if it weren't for the feeling like trying that would have a host of unforeseen consequences. At least until it can be a bit better refined, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

parabolic posted:

There's a room here, I swear

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I just realized my pic didn't go through. Phone posting sucks.

And I swear I'll shut up about the trees now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing about an idea to gene drive mosquitoes to kill off their ability to transmit malaria. Hadn't heard of doing it to just kill them off entirely.

I'd be all for it, if it weren't for the feeling like trying that would have a host of unforeseen consequences. At least until it can be a bit better refined, I guess.
Right, one of the issues with CRISPR is that when you program it to embed itself in successive generations, in order to trigger something a few generations down the line, there's a risk that random mutation might mess up your plans (as such, random mutation is the cause of quite a bit of problems in genetics, because it's the cause of 2/3rds of all kinds of cancer), and have consequences which won't be known for a long time after something has happened at which point it may be impossible to do anything about.
So that's why scientists are being very careful about what they promise CRISPR can do, but unfortunately the science press has blown it out of proportion.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I can only imagine what the neighbor who bitched about the patio has to say about all this.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

The Lobster posted:

No need to shut up, keep venting if you need someone or talk to, we’re all speedfriends here :3:

I hope you get your power back soon and can resume :justass: with us

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hey speedfriends, my SGDQ shirt showed up today!

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

WilliamAnderson posted:

:yeah:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

WilliamAnderson posted:

Oh, nice! I hope mine show up soon!

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The Lobster posted:

That looks like so much cutting :( I'm really sorry they felt they had to do that, it's such a shame.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They do the "lab-bred males released to produce a wild sterile population" thing every so often somewhere. It works if they can overwhelm the current population enough.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

The Lobster posted:

That seems like very excessive pruning!! :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RoboJoe posted:

No need to shut up, keep venting if you need someone or talk to, we’re all speedfriends here :3:

I hope you get your power back soon and can resume :justass: with us

:justtrans: and :comfysamus: are from the AGDQ chillthread, right? What's the story behind :justass:?

The Lobster posted:

Poor trees :ohdear:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

"If you twohand your binoculars, it skips some animations"

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Shoutouts to my power bank, which has kept my phone and my Switch charged this whole time and could probably go several more days. *knock on wood*

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

"World record!" "Yeah, pretty good I guess."

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

ToxicFrog posted:

:justtrans: and :comfysamus: are from the AGDQ chillthread, right? What's the story behind :justass:?

Poor trees :ohdear:

:justass: was from the SGDQ thread as well, I think someone made it shortly after :kazooieass: was created

E: I meant SGDQ

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That was the least hype world record ever. Still neat tho!

Also I hope you get power back asap Lobster <3

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Teddybear posted:

That was the least hype world record ever. Still neat tho!

Also I hope you get power back asap Lobster <3

World record.
Nothing happened?
No, look-- next to your name--
Oh.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Ramos posted:

Remember, just hit R1 and occasionally roll and you can beat any Dark Souls boss.

This but unironically

Dark souls is the hardest game with a button that grants invincibility of all time

Hardest part of any boss fight is not falling asleep during the 10 million frame windup animation for their attacks

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I don’t think I have time to watch the next run in it’s entirety tonight, so I think I might watch LA Noire from yesterday then call it a night.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

:emptyquote: is from AGDQ

:kazooieass:
:comfysamus:
:purfect:
:pepsi:
:justass:
:justtrans:
:bigwhat:
Are from SGDQ

:fluffy: is from this thread.

Is that bad I can name all of them like that on my phone without the smiley guide?

I bought (half of) :emptyquote:, :kazooieass:, :pepsi:, and :fluffy:, so I'm definitely part of the problemsolution.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 24, 2018

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

These threads are wonderful and bring the best smilies.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

John is needed at the tech station,

I repeat,

John is needed at the tech station

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna call it a night soon as well, got a very early start tomorrow. Gonna be watching at least some of the Final Fantasy IX run and hoping Arabian Nights won't be too late!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

The Lobster posted:

Are from SGDQ

Is that bad I can name all of them like that on my phone without the smiley guide?

I bought (half of) :emptyquote:, :kazooieass:, :pepsi:, and :fluffy:, so I'm definitely part of the problemsolution.

oh man I didn't know :bigwhat: got bought that owns. These threads single-handedly keep this not quite dead forum going

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

If I don't have power by Arabian Nights I'm going to jump off my roof.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I'm out for now, gotta cook dinner and then probably busy all evening. Not much appeals to me tomorrow so perhaps I'll use that time to watch the Diablo 2 VOD?

The Lobster posted:

Are from SGDQ

I bought :emptyquote:, :kazooieass:, :pepsi:, and :fluffy:, so I'm definitely part of the problemsolution.

Yeah, I have a bad habit of just calling every GDQ AGDQ even if it's actually SGDQ. Thanks for the history lesson!

Xenothral posted:

These threads are wonderful and bring the best smilies.

I think :justtrans:, :comfysamus:, and :fluffy: are my top three though.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

EGSunBro posted:

oh man I didn't know :bigwhat: got bought that owns. These threads single-handedly keep this not quite dead forum going

I'm convinced my impulse smiley purchases are what keep me from getting banned.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

:hmmyes:

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

The Lobster posted:

I'm convinced my impulse smiley purchases are what keep me from getting banned.

Buying lowtax a new rear end to save time

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, I have a bad habit of just calling every GDQ AGDQ even if it's actually SGDQ. Thanks for the history lesson!

The best bad gdq habit is spending the entire year referring to the AGDQ that happened in January as "last year's"

Everyone does it even me

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm still partial to :emptyquote: simply because of the story behind it but those are strong choices.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's not really anything I'm interested in for the rest of the night, so I think I'm gonna head to bed early. Good night speedfriends!

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

SeXReX posted:

The best bad gdq habit is spending the entire year referring to the AGDQ that happened in January as "last year's"

Everyone does it even me

I do that and then immediately clarify because it confuses every one of my friends that doesn't always watch every GDQ

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Lobster posted:

I'm still partial to :emptyquote: simply because of the story behind it but those are strong choices.

I would love to hear the story behind :emptyquote: if you don't mind taking the time to type it up!

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's not really anything I'm interested in for the rest of the night, so I think I'm gonna head to bed early. Good night speedfriends!

Goodnight :comfysamus:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cutting down your trees to put up power lines and then not turning on your power seems p rude.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Notable horse, Pablo.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yo, DJ, turn up the music so I can listen to Revived Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Speedfriends, we've gotta send Lobster our power.

• Locked thread