Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

moosecow333 posted:

Why do I feel like using Grand Nexus would involve us just walking into the beam and hoping we can resist whatever will happen?

Sounds good to me.

[edit] but don't forget nexus is the evolution of mind over matter, isn't it? You probably actually explode it from afar with the power of your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maugrim posted:

nexus is the evolution of mind over matter, isn't it?
Yep.

The_White_Crane posted:

A rock because I also like the idea of Lone Wolf debating which of his mystic talents he should employ to bypass this otherworldly trap and deciding that actually he'll just chuck a rock at it.

Dawn of the Dragons posted:

You instruct Captain D’Val to retreat with the regiment fifty yards back along the trail. When he has complied with your order, you move upstream until you can see, at an angle, the source of the ultraviolet beam: it is a small metallic polyhedron, studded with rivets.

You dismount and pick a large stone out of the river and lob it at the device with deft precision. The instant the stone hits, there is a violent explosion which knocks you down and peppers the area of the ford with sharp splinters of rock.

Curing: +1 EP (46/47).
We roll: 0

As you fall backwards into the cold water, a splinter of rock slices through your upper left arm: lose 4 ENDURANCE points.

Gritting your teeth against the stinging pain, you struggle to your feet and use your Kai healing skills to staunch the bleeding. The dust of the explosion is clearing and you can see D’Val bringing the regiment forward.

‘Are you badly injured, Grand Master?’ he shouts, as he comes riding through the water.

‘I’ll live,’ you retort, and hurry to remount your skittish horse.

‘Thank Ishir you’re with us,’ says the captain, as together you return to the regiment and lead them across the ford. ‘Without you, this wicked sorcery would have cost us dear.’

Endurance: 42/47.

After the explosion at the ford, you sense that the regiment is more wary of the surrounding forest. You proceed at a slower, more cautious pace, and keep a watchful eye on the trail ahead. You have not gone very far when your eagle-eyes detect something amiss in the undergrowth away to your right. You magnify your vision and see a patch of grey among the greens of the forest floor. After a few moments you recognize it to be the sole of a man’s boot.

Curing: +1 EP (43/47).
Do we investigate or keep moving?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Investigate. Duh!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah because none of you could have thrown a goddamn rock :rolleyes:

Let's investigate.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Leraika posted:

Yeah because none of you could have thrown a goddamn rock :rolleyes:

Let's investigate.

To be fair, the trigger was invisible to anyone with normal vision.

Let’s check out this dead dude.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
See? Not nearly as bad as the time we used a fireseed in the middle of a cloud of swamp gas!

Investigate if for no other reason than to give our arm an extra text section to heal

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

moosecow333 posted:

To be fair, the trigger was invisible to anyone with normal vision.

Let’s check out this dead dude.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Investigate. Duh!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Trouble is a foot. Let's check it out.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
:allears: That is just about perfect.
We get knocked on our rear end and look like an idiot in front of the whole regiment, and the Captain promptly falls over himself to kiss our arse for it.

Investigate, obviously.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The_White_Crane posted:

:allears: That is just about perfect.
We get knocked on our rear end and look like an idiot in front of the whole regiment, and the Captain promptly falls over himself to kiss our arse for it.

Investigate, obviously.

Nobody looks cooler when they gently caress up than Lone Wolf.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mikl posted:

Trouble is a foot. Let's check it out.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Don't we have a standing order to check out all corpses? Invoke the loot all corpses clause.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Don't we have a standing order to check out all corpses? Invoke the loot all corpses clause.
Loot, not investigate. As in, when we kill someone and the book asks us "do you want to search the body". This is more of an optional encounter type of thing.

You signal to Captain D’Val to bring the regiment to a halt. Then, as soon as they are stationary, you dismount and move into the undergrowth alone. Stealthily you advance towards the boot, suspecting it to be another of the enemy’s booby traps, but when you get to within a few feet you see that it is no trap. A knot tightens in the pit of your stomach and a tear wells up in your eye as you look with pity at what lies here.

Curing: +1 EP (44/47).

You have found the body of a Kai Master. His torn and crushed remains are clothed in the grey cloak and tunic that denotes his rank within the New Order. He has been dead for two or three days.

At first you can hardly bear to look at his face, but when you do, you recognize him at once: it is Swift Fire. He was the fastest runner of all the Kai, and you suspect he may have volunteered to use his speed to try to break through the enemy lines. Sadly, it seems, he could not outrun his fate.

Respectfully you cover his face with his cloak and say a short prayer to the God Kai to watch over his spirit. Then you return to the regiment and continue the ride along the trail.

Curing: +1 EP (45/47).

Two miles further along the Alema Trail, you catch your first glimpse of Naar’s minions. You see five horny-skinned creatures, hovering on the breeze, thirty feet above the distant tree-line.

These creatures have wings and tails that shimmer like burnished gold, and armour-like plates which protect their limbs and bellies. From their beaks protrude snaky tongues, and their claw-like hands and feet are tipped with talons that glint like sharpened knives in the sunlight.

Curing: +1 EP (46/47).

You recognize these creatures at once—they are Lavas, winged horrors from the Plane of Darkness, the domain of the Dark God himself. The memory of your previous experience with these creatures sends a shiver coursing down your spine.

With a silent signal you bring the regiment to a halt. Captain D’Val leans towards you from his saddle and whispers: ‘Here is the enemy who have your monastery surrounded, Grand Master, and this is the weakest point in their line.’

‘I know this place,’ you reply quietly. ‘The monastery lies over the next ridge of trees. If we are to break through here, we must be quick about it. These creatures can take to the skies—it would not take them long to summon reinforcements.’

‘You are right, Grand Master. The risks are indeed great, but I and my men are willing to take them to ensure your return to the Monastery of the Kai. You must get through. You are the only one who can destroy the Shadow Gate and remove this curse from our land.’

‘Very well then, captain,’ you reply, unsheathing your weapon. ‘Pass the order to prepare to charge.’

Curing: +1 EP (47/47).

You lead the regiment along the trail to where the surrounding forest opens out into a shallow meadow. Along the centre of this grassy clearing there meanders a small stream, where a dozen of the winged creatures are spread unevenly along the muddy banks. They are staring intently at the water, seemingly fascinated by the sight of the trout swimming there, and at first they do not see the regiment approaching. You give the signal to change formation, to form into two lines abreast for the charge. Then you glance at the wooded rise on the far side of the meadow, knowing that beyond this ridge lies your goal—the Kai Monastery.

Suddenly one of the creatures hovering over the stream raises the alarm and his ghastly brothers growl with surprise. Unnervingly, they clack their beaked jaws as they survey the King’s Cavalry, as if they are relishing the thought of an imminent feast. You order the men to lower their lances and then, with a smile of grim determination on your lips, you spur your horse forward and give voice to your battle-cry: ‘For Sommerlund and the Kai!’

The King’s Cavalry sweep down the meadow and engulf the winged horrors, driving their lances through their steely hides. You see two of the creatures disappear beneath a thundering wave of hooves, and another two are caught from behind as they attempt to take to the air. You strike one creature a blow to its head as you gallop across the stream. It glances off its iron-hard skull, but the force is sufficient to stun the beast. As it staggers drunkenly in your wake, Captain D’Val, who is leading the second line, veers towards it and runs it through with his lance.

Once you are over the stream, you spur your horse up the grassy rise towards the top of the ridge, now no more than a hundred yards distant. You are within seconds of reaching the crest of the ridge when suddenly one of the creatures comes swooping out of the sky. It fixes you with its glowing eyes and extends its talons as it comes screaming down towards your face.

Shall we use Lightning Hand or the Sommerswerd?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lone Wolf sighed as he unsheated his Sommerswerd.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Smack it down with the PimpLightning Hand.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The preferred weapon of Emperor Palpatine- Lightning Hand!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

anakha posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anakha posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Lightning strikes!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

You utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell Lightning Hand and raise your right arm, pointing it towards the belly of the swooping beast. A flash of blue-white light erupts at your fingertips, and an arc of crackling energy speeds from your hand towards the creature. It veers in mid-air to avoid the bolt but its reactions are too slow to escape being hit. The bolt rips a jagged hole in its left wing and, suddenly off-balanced by the wound, the beast loses control and slams into the ground with a sickening crunch.

Suddenly you hear Captain D’Val’s strident voice rising above the din of the battle: ‘Ride on, Lone Wolf!’ he shouts. ‘Ride to the monastery!’

You glance over your shoulder and see the captain and his men locked in combat with the winged creatures. More are swooping in from the east now, drawn by the cries of their brothers. The tide of the battle is turning against D’Val’s men and your heart goes out to them as they struggle bravely against increasing odds. Your instinct is to turn back, but you heed the captain’s plea and urge your horse on towards the top of the ridge. The best way you can serve these courageous men now is to reach the Kai Monastery and destroy the Shadow Gate.

You crest the ridge and your spirits soar when you see the Kai Monastery two miles distant. The chequered battle-banner of the Kai flutters atop the Tower of the Sun, proudly defiant in the face of the hordes of winged Lavas circling overhead. The monastery is largely intact, though much of its surrounding wall has been damaged and plumes of smoke rise from the inner keep and training park. Yet, even at this distance, you sense that it is still being held secure from Naar’s loathsome minions.

The New Order have indeed proved themselves worthy in your absence. However, the pride you feel for your young acolytes is tempered by the price that has been paid. At the base of the Tower of the Sun you can see the blackened wreckage of the Skyrider, Banedon’s skyship, twisted and gutted where it fell to earth. There are bodies strewn about it, but at this distance, even with your magnified vision, you cannot tell if they are friend or foe.

Dusk is already upon the land and darkness will be total within the hour. Mindful of the circling Lavas who command the skies, you decide to abandon your horse and continue from here on foot. It will be harder for the enemy to spot you moving through the forest on foot than if you were to continue on horseback.

You resolve to reach a clearing in the Fryelund Forest, a mile to the east of the monastery, where a secret entrance and passageway are located. The passage leads directly to your vault beneath the Tower of the Sun, and it is your intention to gain entry to the monastery by this way.

Before you set off towards the woods, you use your psychic Mindblend ability as an extra camouflage precaution. Quickly it proves to be wise, for no sooner have you begun to run for the trees, than a flight of winged Lavas come soaring out of the clouds overhead. You throw yourself to the ground and they pass by without slowing.

Once they have disappeared beyond the ridge, you get to your feet and continue your run for the trees.

You rush into the forest and glance overhead to make doubly sure that you are not being tracked by the winged Lavas. The darkening sky is clear of the enemy and confidently you press on through the trees, sure in your ability to remain undetected now that you are in your natural environment of the forest.

Soon you reach the clearing and hurry to a boulder which bears the imprint of a human hand. You place your right hand upon it and the imprint fits around it like a glove. Silently a hinged stone slab rises up from the ground revealing a stair that leads down into a brick-lined passageway. You enter and hurry along this familiar tunnel, covering a mile before you come to a door that opens automatically at your approach. Beyond lies the Vault of the Sun, your personal stronghold. It radiates a warm golden light: it is the rays of the Lorestones of Nyxator. Once safely inside your underground lair, you pause to allow the radiant light of the Lorestones to wash over your tired and aching limbs and, within the space of a few heartbeats, the fatigue of your long journey home is melted away (restore all lost ENDURANCE points).

Revived and revitalized, you throw open the door to the vault and see a young Kai Master standing guard at the foot of the tower stairwell. He is Sabre Fox, one of your most gifted students.

‘Gr … Grand Master!’ he stammers, hardly daring to believe his eyes. ‘You have returned. Praise the gods! Our prayers have been answered!’

You smile at the young Kai Master who now has tears of joy in his steel-grey eyes.

‘Yes, Sabre Fox,’ you reply, ‘I have returned. Now let us vanquish this foe and rid our land of their evil shadow.’

With Sabre Fox at your side, you climb the circular stairs to the Grand Hall of the Tower of the Sun. Excitedly the young Kai Master announces your arrival to the battle-weary Kai who are gathered here, and, at first, they look at you in stunned disbelief. Then the truth of what they see sinks in and they give vent to a loud cheer that can be heard all throughout the monastery.

The news of your return spreads like wildfire. Two of the first to welcome you back are your friend Guildmaster Banedon, and your trusted advisor Lord Rimoah.

‘Thank Ishir you are alive, Banedon,’ you say clasping his hand in friendship. ‘In Holmgard they fear that you and Rimoah were killed aboard your skyship. It gladdens my heart to see this is not so.’

‘And it warms me to see you safely home, Grand Master,’ he replies.

‘Though we’ve been hard-pressed to keep your home safe in your absence,’ adds Lord Rimoah, with a wry smile.

‘You both have my deepest thanks,’ you reply. ‘You took a great risk in coming to the aid of the Kai. I have seen what became of your skyship, Banedon. You were indeed fortunate to have survived.’

‘Aye,’ he replies, sadly. ‘Yet, alas, three of my Brotherhood were not so blessed. They perished when the Lavas dragged us from the skies.’

‘Take heart, Banedon, for their deaths will not be in vain. They shall be avenged.’ And with these prophetic words you take the Sun-crystal from your pocket and show it to your grieving friend. ‘With this crystal I shall destroy the Shadow Gate and put an end to Naar’s evil plan.’

Together with Banedon and Rimoah, you make a tour of the monastery to assess for yourself the extent of the battle damage. Your presence among the young Kai greatly improves their morale and strengthens their resolve to withstand the Lavas’ siege. You visit every area of the monastery, including the Lore Hall of Solaris where the bodies of those slain in battle have been laid out, awaiting burial. It saddens you to see so many Kai dead and, as you walk among their still ranks, you recognize many in whom you had held high hopes: Spring Rain, Eastwind, Sharp Dove, Deep Heart, Frost Lark, and Firefly. As you turn to leave the Lore Hall, you vow to Banedon and Rimoah that the sacrifice they have made will never be forgotten.

You return to the Grand Hall where Banedon and Rimoah tell you of the location of the Shadow Gate.

‘Kai scouts sighted it in the foothills of the Durncrag Mountains, less than five miles distant, at a place called Raven’s Eyrie,’ says Banedon.

‘I know this place,’ you say. ‘My old tutor, Storm Hawk, and I camped there on a hunting trip when I was an acolyte, before the war with Darklord Zagarna. There is a track that leads there—I know it well.’

You are determined to destroy the Shadow Gate and you resolve to go to Raven’s Eyrie tonight, to carry out the mission. Also you are aware that tomorrow is a very special day. It is Fehmarn—the first day of Spring, a holy day in Sommerlund when traditionally all of the Kai gather at the monastery to reaffirm their fealty to King Ulnar and the God Kai. It is also the anniversary of the massacre of the First Order, the day upon which all of your warrior caste, save you, were massacred by Darklord Zagarna’s hordes.

‘I will destroy the Shadow Gate tonight,’ you vow resolutely, ‘and tomorrow we shall celebrate Fehmarn, secure in the knowledge that a lasting peace has returned to our land.’

Moments later, a doleful bell sounds from atop the Durncrag Tower: it is the alarm.

‘Hurry, my lords!’ shouts a young Kai Savant who comes rushing breathlessly into the Grand Hall. ‘The enemy are attacking in force!’

‘To your battle positions, my lords!’ you command, as you stride towards the door. ‘The time has come for you to avenge your dead brothers. Fight well! Fight true! The spirit of the Sun-god Kai is with us this night!’

A great cloud of winged Lavas is speeding towards the monastery from the northwest and they will arrive within a few minutes at most. As you watch the young Kai Lords arm themselves and take up their positions around the monastery, you consider where best to position yourself for the imminent battle.
Shall we fight from "the battlements of the North Watch" or "from the top of the Tower of the Sun, the highest point in the Kai Monastery"?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
North Watch. We need to be on the front line and rack up kills!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tower of the Sun, to provide a beacon of hope for our students!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Maugrim posted:

Tower of the Sun, higher vantage point means we can see more people die

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Time to fight for Sommerlund and the Kai! Head to North Watch!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tower of the Sun. We have a bigger mission in front of us, and we can make sure the Kai don’t get creamed by dirty tactics.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sabre Fox, Spring Rain, Eastwind, Sharp Dove, Deep Heart, Frost Lark, Firefly?

These guys sound more like Reploids than Kai monks.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

anakha posted:

Sabre Fox, Spring Rain, Eastwind, Sharp Dove, Deep Heart, Frost Lark, Firefly?

These guys sound more like Reploids than Kai monks.
Imagine them all voiced each by one of the many Starscream VAs.

Maugrin posted:

Tower of the Sun, higher vantage point means we can see more people die
Yes, that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

‘I know this place,’ you say. ‘My old tutor, Storm Hawk, and I camped there on a hunting trip when I was an acolyte, before the war with Darklord Zagarna. There is a track that leads there—I know it well.’ 

Lone Wolf that was more than twenty years ago. Are you sure there's still a track there?

Also tower please.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Tower of the Sun

While a leader should lead i.e. at the front of his army, it isn't healthy for any people around Lone Wolf. So let's give them all a fighting chance to survive and keep him as ar away from others as possible.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Helios Grime posted:

Tower of the Sun

While a leader should lead i.e. at the front of his army, it isn't healthy for any people around Lone Wolf. So let's give them all a fighting chance to survive and keep him as ar away from others as possible.

You fool! Height increases range, everyone knows that!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maugrim posted:

Tower of the Sun, higher vantage point means we can see more people die!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Maugrim posted:

Tower of the Sun, higher vantage point means we can see more people die!

Also I love that the names of Kai students are such that "Solid Snake" or "Vulcan Raven" would be entirely apt.
Sharp Dove, seriously?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Somewhere there's a Kai acolyte called Wild Hamster and he's not happy about it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Menacing Gnat.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Helios Grime posted:

Tower of the Sun

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Tower of the Sun

Jedit posted:

Somewhere there's a Kai acolyte called Wild Hamster and he's not happy about it.
I got Moon Moon. :(

From the top of the Tower of the Sun you survey the mountainous northern approaches with growing trepidation. Banedon is by your side; so too are Kai Masters Black Hawk and Wild Weasel and a score of Kai warmarns and savants. You sense the lower ranks of the Kai are proud and excited to be stationed here with their Grand Master. Your presence inspires their courage and you feel confident that they will fight exceptionally well in the coming battle.

You look down at the shattered wreck of the Skyrider lying in the monastery grounds far below, and it reminds you of your sky journey from Casiorn to Holmgard. You tell Banedon about the Cloud-dancer and you promise him that, if your mission to destroy the Shadow Gate is successful, you will make a gift of it to him in recognition of the help he has given the Kai in your absence.

‘Thank you, Grand Master,’ he says. ‘Yours is a most gracious gesture.’

Then the first of the Lavas horde are seen, their burnished wings glinting in the moonlight.

‘Here they come!’ shouts Black Hawk, from the far end of the tower.

‘Take up your bows, my lords!’ you cry, as the first wave of these winged beasts comes sweeping down from out of the northern sky. ‘And make every arrow count!’
Shall we use our bow or merely direct the battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

We have a bow and we wish to use it.