Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Just finished Evil Genius, which is a really good murder-mystery documentary. Up next is The Keepers since it was recommended on here awhile ago.

Evil Genius was great, but the smoking gun as to whether Brian Wells was in on the heist or not was unconvincing and disappointing. It was really lame as far as dun-dun-DUNNNNN moments go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just checked out The Endless. As mentioned before its for rent on Amazon, not on Prime. That was one of the best indie type supernatural/horror movies I've seen in a long time, really liked it.

If anyone wants to check it out, I highly recommend watching Resolution first, for reasons I can't say (though I also liked that one too so check it out anyway).

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Is resolution streaming anywhere? Used to be on Netflix but was removed a while ago.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

promising carl posted:

Is resolution streaming anywhere? Used to be on Netflix but was removed a while ago.

It's on Shudder and for rent on Amazon.

Would like to put in a good word for the JustWatch app. It lists all new stuff when they come on to streaming services and if you search a movie it will tell you where it's available to watch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot about Resolution. I really dug that movie. I was going to rent The Endless a couple of weeks ago but was kind of put off at the director/lead's ego overkill about how visionary they are combined with how cheap it looked. But I'll give it a shot since resolution was pretty rad.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Tale of Tales on Netflix is worth a watch.

Like a version of the old Jim Henson show the Storyteller but with more nudity and famous actors.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I forgot about Resolution. I really dug that movie. I was going to rent The Endless a couple of weeks ago but was kind of put off at the director/lead's ego overkill about how visionary they are combined with how cheap it looked. But I'll give it a shot since resolution was pretty rad.

I felt The Endless definitely looked a lot better. I didn't realize that about the directors, but I feel like the work isn't pretentious so I think that's all I care about, honestly.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Like a version of the old Jim Henson show the Storyteller but with more nudity and famous actors.

There's some pretty gnarly violence too. Great flick.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nihonniboku posted:

I turned The Discovery off 3/4 through to be honest. It started off with an interesting premise, but once I figured out the twist (a twist wikipedia then confirmed, I was done.

Eh, I can understand that. It definitely has a stronger start and the trailer implied it to be much creepier than it turned out in the end.

I still thought it was a pretty good movie and I think the "twist" isn't much of a twist in the M Knight way. It never really undoes the basic premise, it just interprets it in a different way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

My parents are gigantic fans of the movie Excalibur and I got my mom to watch this and she said it was "gross". Very disappointing.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just another shout out for Dave Made a Maze on Hulu. I really didn't expect to like this movie but its very entertaining and the set design is awesome.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

You saying it has puppets in it?? Don’t get my hopes up!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Castle Rock dropped today. Anybody check it out yet?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Castle Rock dropped today. Anybody check it out yet?

I love Stephen King but it hasn’t grabbed me yet, sadly.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
So I finished both seasons of Riverdale and this show is... amazing. Season one was legit good but season two was batshit insane. It is nearing Twin Peaks level of crazy. Can’t wait for season three.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love Stephen King but it hasn’t grabbed me yet, sadly.

A lot of the reviews I've read say that it takes a couple of episodes to get going. My general approach to it is the metric by which I approach all King adaptions and filmed works: hope for The Shining, expect Pet Semetary, prepare for Thinner.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

How many seasons is Castle Rock going to be?

Partway through episode 3, and I’m liking it so far. I like a lot of the nods/connections to other King stuff, like the old newspaper clipping Henry sees about ‘rabid dog terrorizes town’.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Castle Rock seems cool as hell so far

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tainen posted:

So I finished both seasons of Riverdale and this show is... amazing. Season one was legit good but season two was batshit insane. It is nearing Twin Peaks level of crazy. Can’t wait for season three.

Season 1 is legit so much fun, and it helps that the entire cast is extremely attractive.

Season 2 isn't as good, and does reach absurd levels of insane. Hopefully season 3 gets a little more grounded again.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

full disclosure: the director of housesitters is an acquaintance of mine.

housesitters is a no-budget horror comedy available on prime. it has some technical problems and bad acting sometimes, but it is really fun. if you really hate it, at least power through until about the midpoint to see a great “commercial”.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

full disclosure: the director of housesitters is an acquaintance of mine.

housesitters is a no-budget horror comedy available on prime. it has some technical problems and bad acting sometimes, but it is really fun. if you really hate it, at least power through until about the midpoint to see a great “commercial”.

Is it really fun because your acquaintance made it? Like, would you think it's fun if you didn't know anybody involved in the movie, and came across it TV one day, would you still stick with it?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Nihonniboku posted:

Is it really fun because your acquaintance made it? Like, would you think it's fun if you didn't know anybody involved in the movie, and came across it TV one day, would you still stick with it?

Don't be a nob, proper etiquette is you watch it first in bad faith and then tell the op his friend made a lovely movie

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

considering the movie had a micro budget, honestly its pretty good. i wouldnt really say the guy is my friend, but we do occasionally talk about movies on facebook.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Paid the 5'er to watch You Were Never Really Here last night.

:stare:

Was gonna do the same with The Endless tonight but I just can't.

YWNRH is a supreme head-gently caress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Joaquin Phoenix is probably the best currently working actor, at least if we're to accept DDL's word that he's retired. The roll he's on is pretty ridiculous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Joaquin Phoenix is probably the best currently working actor, at least if we're to accept DDL's word that he's retired. The roll he's on is pretty ridiculous.

I wish I'm Still Here was streaming somewhere, I thought it was actually pretty good.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I think Phoenix and Ben Foster are close with Foster trailing a little behind simply due to age.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

He's easily my favorite male actor working now. He just keeps getting better.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Basebf555 posted:

He really is. I hope he hasn't undercut himself by signing onto a comic book movie.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Extinction just came out on Netflix. It looks awesome. Gonna watch it asap. Please god don't let it suck like that apocalyptic movie from two weeks ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

He's easily my favorite male actor working now. He just keeps getting better.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

He really is. I hope he hasn't undercut himself by signing onto a comic book movie.

If you haven't already you must see You Were Never Really Here ASAP. It's one of those transformative performances where it seems like there's almost no Joaquin Phoenix left in there, he completely embodies the character.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I have an 18 month old, so i am now extremely familiar with the movies Boss Baby and Coco. They are on opposite ends of a spectrum

Boss Baby

Trash, irredeemable. Starts as an interesting enough idea before getting dreamworks animationed to death. And the animation is horrifying, all giant anime eyes and heads and shortened, spring loaded limbs, like watching a hyperkinetic pocky commercial. Bizarre mixed messages about capitalism that seem like part of a greater comment that the writers were too dumb to pull together, can't keep its internal logic straight, not funny enough (or at all, for great stretches). Third act that could have been rolled into the second to spare the audience 20 or so minutes of this. Alec Baldwin is a solid voice actor but he can't write his own lines too. At least there are no songs, although there are some music video-esque sequences.

Coco

A treasure, unforgettable and affecting. Its just a joy to look at, and then it's filled with gorgeous music and performances to boot. The kid doing the voice for the main character blows the doors off every song and never fails to rise to whatever emotion a scene calls for. Several (all?) of the cast members reprise their roles for the Spanish audio track, which I watched this morning and is just as incredible, maybe better (the guy playing Hector, for instance, delivers a better performance in Spanish) . There are two versions on Netflix, the English and Spanish versions, but I was sad to note the Spanish version just seems to change a few incidences of text to Spanish, the lip syncing is all still for the English track.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 27, 2018

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Actually it's just three people iirc (Gael's character, one of the moms and one of the uncles if memory serves) the rest of the Spanish cast is comprised of many Mexican celebrities from the 80s/90s and local voice actors.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite trick in Coco is how each successive time you hear "Remember me" it's a completely different song both in delivery and in meaning & significance.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Coco is so loving good. It's right up there in that top tier of Pixar films.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coco is a very efficiently plotted movie, but I don't completely like the fact that once Ernesto de la Cruz is revealed to be a bad person it is immediately obvious that he's not going to be Miguel's great-great-grandfather because this is not necessarily a great message and it's also suprisingly simplistic for a Pixar movie (I feel like they have usually been fairly morally complex.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

mystes posted:

Coco is a very efficiently plotted movie, but I don't completely like the fact that once Ernesto de la Cruz is revealed to be a bad person it is immediately obvious that he's not going to be Miguel's great-great-grandfather because this is not necessarily a great message and it's also suprisingly simplistic for a Pixar movie (I feel like they have usually been fairly morally complex.)

Talking about Coco The other way you could look at it and is also a good moral for kids is just because someone is famous and loved, it doesn't mean they are a good person. Its the whole "you can't judge a book by its cover" moral, but instead of an ugly person being great, its a "beautiful" person being ugly on the inside. Which in today's world is a good moral for kids.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, watch Hannah Gadsby's Nanette stand up on netflix. Telling jokes, spitting fire, dropping wisdom, sharing herself and her story. She doesn't just break the mold, she burns down the loving factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

deoju posted:

Holy poo poo, watch Hannah Gadsby's Nanette stand up on netflix. Telling jokes, spitting fire, dropping wisdom, sharing herself and her story. She doesn't just break the mold, she burns down the loving factory.

It is very good