Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I tried switching back when I had my Pixel 1 XL and needed a SIM, but something hosed up real bad with porting my GV number over. I had them reverse it, they refunded what I'd paid for the SIM and zeroed the bill, and they were remarkably kind about it, no attempts to try something new etc.

I hadn't happened across the news that the Pixel 2 had eSIM when I switched over again a couple months ago, so I was ready to have to order a SIM and all that but their support chat was like "nah you'll be good to go in a couple minutes" and sure enough it was up and running in less than 5 mins. The only semblance of an issue I noticed was that it took 2 days or so to get one of the carriers (I think Sprint but I wasn't checking, I'm just going off knowing how hosed Sprint is) into the switching scheme. It's been peachy since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I tried switching back when I had my Pixel 1 XL and needed a SIM, but something hosed up real bad with porting my GV number over. I had them reverse it, they refunded what I'd paid for the SIM and zeroed the bill, and they were remarkably kind about it, no attempts to try something new etc.

I hadn't happened across the news that the Pixel 2 had eSIM when I switched over again a couple months ago, so I was ready to have to order a SIM and all that but their support chat was like "nah you'll be good to go in a couple minutes" and sure enough it was up and running in less than 5 mins. The only semblance of an issue I noticed was that it took 2 days or so to get one of the carriers (I think Sprint but I wasn't checking, I'm just going off knowing how hosed Sprint is) into the switching scheme. It's been peachy since then.

Oh cool, were you the one who used my code? Someone did but I don't exactly know who it is since they used a Google name to sign up instead of a real name, I think?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

that was me. my name is John Google irl

it wasn't actually me

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Phone took a bath yesterday and it's not turning on, despite my best efforts with rice and such. So, I can't access my authenticator, which means I can't get into my account, so Fi support won't talk to me to get a new phone. this tablet I'm in is miraculously signed into Hangouts, so I can get texts, but I never get the one sent to me from Google. Any thoughts on how to shortcut this process? I think I'm just SOL until Google unlocks my account?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Maybe don't make one device your single point of failure for accessing important accounts.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deathlove posted:

Phone took a bath yesterday and it's not turning on, despite my best efforts with rice and such. So, I can't access my authenticator, which means I can't get into my account, so Fi support won't talk to me to get a new phone. this tablet I'm in is miraculously signed into Hangouts, so I can get texts, but I never get the one sent to me from Google. Any thoughts on how to shortcut this process? I think I'm just SOL until Google unlocks my account?

If you dunked your phone in water and only left it in some rice overnight, it's still going to be super wet inside and you shouldn't try turning it on. You'd do best to put it in with some silica gel or something way more absorbent in a sealed bag for longer. It may also just be fried. I'd consider disassembling it to get all the moisture out but obviously that will require a bit of work. There's a website called ifixit that has a lot of guides for different phones.

I'd call google fi support and see if they can authenticate you another way over the phone since I'd imagine wrecking a phone isn't unusual:
Project Fi/Customer service
855-836-3987

They'll probably require a lot more information since your two factor won't work.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Ouch. Did you write down your one time emergency passwords somewhere?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm assuming your backup codes are nowhere to be found. If you still have a SIM card, you could try putting it in another phone in order to receive the texts.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DizzyBum posted:

Ouch. Did you write down your one time emergency passwords somewhere?

this is why you set up every one of the other 2 factor auth methods

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Quick update: Called Fi and they wanted me to log into my Fi account to affirm who I was...which I couldn't do because I didn't have my phone authenticator...which I needed to order. So, fine. And when I wrote down my 2FA codes a long time ago, I misplaced them due to a Life Change. Anyway, had access to all my recovery options, 2FA off of Google account, was able to get 2FA stripped from most other things (save Nintendo and Discord), just waiting to see if UBreakIFix can dehydrate my phone enough to get it going.

Listen to me! Check your 2FA codes! Recovery Methods! Be Good!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my suggestion is a fireproof safe or box to store papers like this. you can get a fire and waterproof lockbox for a couple of :tenbux:

also make sure to occasionally audit your paper trail. i nearly lost my main computer's drive (and the backups) after doing a BIOS update, because i didn't confirm that I had the Windows BitLocker key and my backup key in the box :pwn:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Deathlove posted:

Quick update: Called Fi and they wanted me to log into my Fi account to affirm who I was...which I couldn't do because I didn't have my phone authenticator...which I needed to order. So, fine. And when I wrote down my 2FA codes a long time ago, I misplaced them due to a Life Change. Anyway, had access to all my recovery options, 2FA off of Google account, was able to get 2FA stripped from most other things (save Nintendo and Discord), just waiting to see if UBreakIFix can dehydrate my phone enough to get it going.

Listen to me! Check your 2FA codes! Recovery Methods! Be Good!

You need to actually take your phone apart and clean it. Dehydrating it wont help, in fact it will cause it to die permanently due to corrosion from voltage.

quote:

i didn't confirm that I had the Windows BitLocker key

It is a horrible idea to use BitLocker unless you have a really good reason to. I assume you do..

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my suggestion is a fireproof safe or box to store papers like this. you can get a fire and waterproof lockbox for a couple of :tenbux:

Or if you want to go off-site, a small safe deposit box is super duper cheap at most banks and credit unions (assuming your local branch is large enough to have a customer vault). Like :10bux: a year at my local branch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Molten Llama posted:

Or if you want to go off-site, a small safe deposit box is super duper cheap at most banks and credit unions (assuming your local branch is large enough to have a customer vault). Like :10bux: a year at my local branch.

if you have a grown-up amount of funds on deposit they typically give you one for free too.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Has anyone ditched Hangouts yet for the default Messages app since they announced web support yesterday?

I don't mind switching but I'm worried about missing texts. If I recall correctly, there was something funky I did when installing Hangouts where some texts went to Messages and some to Hangouts.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

me your dad posted:

Has anyone ditched Hangouts yet for the default Messages app since they announced web support yesterday?

I don't mind switching but I'm worried about missing texts. If I recall correctly, there was something funky I did when installing Hangouts where some texts went to Messages and some to Hangouts.

I have been using Messages for a the last few weeks because of the improved (?) interface. The only problem that I have experienced is some messages report not being sent. There is a little "tap to retry" message, but when I do that the recipient gets two messages!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just use Textra

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I text with almost nobody, maybe one-off messages to my parents here and there. Everyone I know with Gmail uses Hangouts because they were on Gchat before that. My friends and I moved to Whatsapp for our group chat because group texting was making GBS threads everything up, and the one iPhone guy refused Hangouts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I hope they merge the consumer chat functions all into Messages so I don't have to deal with a loving status bar full of notifications just to have a regular conversation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just spent a month traveling from the US. Fi worked great in Canada, Portugal, Spain, UK, France, Denmark, and Ireland.
My wife's iphone with Tmobile could receive calls and texts in most of those locations, but could never send any calls or texts except in Canada. So, yeah, Tmobile sucks even more internationally than it does in the US.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

You need to actually take your phone apart and clean it. Dehydrating it wont help, in fact it will cause it to die permanently due to corrosion from voltage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh cool, were you the one who used my code? Someone did but I don't exactly know who it is since they used a Google name to sign up instead of a real name, I think?

It says I got a referral credit this time around for some reason:

Idk if that's you but thanks if you are

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Hey I'm signing up for Fi in the next day or so. Anybody for a referral code they wanna throw me? I have PMs

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mikeycp posted:

Hey I'm signing up for Fi in the next day or so. Anybody for a referral code they wanna throw me? I have PMs

PMed you a referral code if I'm not too late.

As an aside, my elderly father managed to turn off wifi on his phone for... maybe two months or so. Bill protection capping at $60 really saved him.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I have used a code. No need for people to send more. Thanks all!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Get the X4 and don't look back. Don't wait for that N5 to die in your hands.

I kept putting off doing this and now it has actually died in my hands. Can't even go through a factory reset without making GBS threads itself. I must reap what I've sown and my thigh will be lonely for a couple days.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I kept putting off doing this and now it has actually died in my hands. Can't even go through a factory reset without making GBS threads itself. I must reap what I've sown and my thigh will be lonely for a couple days.
It was on sale on Prime Day for $200.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
It's not a bad phone, outside of a bad string of updates (no longer a current issue). Plus the blue is really sharp looking if you're brave enough to go without a case.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've been almost 100% happy with my x4. Only issue is that the glass back is hilariously frictionless and it would migrate off the side of any surface I set it on that wasn't absolutely perfectly level, which was solved by putting it in a case.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Love the x4, but the fingerprint reader is so wonky

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, it only seems to work 25% of the time. There other big annoyance is the camera. It's just not very good.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

canyoneer posted:

I got around the fingerprint reader's touchiness by registering my main unlock thumb twice. I almost never have a failed unlock now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I only ever have trouble when my fingers are wet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Javid posted:

I only ever have trouble when my fingers are wet.

Same here, otherwise it's fine for me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Someone suggested one time to record a wet finger. I haven't tried this.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Just as an FYI they are replacing Nexus 5x with Moto 4x now on insurance. I'm on my second kids replacement. :smugjones:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

I thought this was just me! I literally can't register my fingerprint on my work iPhone SE.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Javid posted:

I've been almost 100% happy with my x4. Only issue is that the glass back is hilariously frictionless and it would migrate off the side of any surface I set it on that wasn't absolutely perfectly level, which was solved by putting it in a case.

I prefer to raw dog my phones, but the glass back thing in the description sounded like a hilariously bad design choice. I think I might have to buy a drat case for once.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah, I rocked my 5x with no case, and my old Moto x before that. I don't like cases. But with a glass backed phone it's nearly mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anyone having issues playing back voicemails in Hangouts?