Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Making excuses why not to train?

https://i.imgur.com/8ARfaVP.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
That is some lovely rear end ROM, goddamn egolifters.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
terrible form

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
if i ever try a powerlifting meet i'm going to have to get deadlift slippers because at this point i basically have to deadlift in socks, at least for my regular deadlifting. i've been doing deficits standing on a plate lately for my 2nd weekly deadlifts tho, in socks still. I need some good flats for other purposes like low bar squats though and I hate chucks.

What's that style of high top shoe that ben pollack/silent mike wear? I want to say basketball shoe but I think a lot of those have the squishy soles don't they?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
probably wrestling shoes

though mark bell hawks some super expensive deadlifting shoe as well, they might be those. I've never heard anyone say they are worth trying money lol

red19fire
May 26, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

fuuuuck I spent weeks checking cl for a reasonably priced concept and gave up.

I got a concept 2 for a song that the guy thought was broken but it just needed the bungees tightened and the chain fell off a track. SUCKER.

(jokes on me it's just going to gather dust in the basement)

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

if i ever try a powerlifting meet i'm going to have to get deadlift slippers because at this point i basically have to deadlift in socks, at least for my regular deadlifting. i've been doing deficits standing on a plate lately for my 2nd weekly deadlifts tho, in socks still. I need some good flats for other purposes like low bar squats though and I hate chucks.

What's that style of high top shoe that ben pollack/silent mike wear? I want to say basketball shoe but I think a lot of those have the squishy soles don't they?

The Reeboks? I think this is them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reebok-CrossFit-Trainers-Sneakers-Sports/dp/B01M5H77Z3

but they were discontinued. Mark Bell talked about a new model coming out, but that was some time ago.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Metanaut posted:

The Reeboks? I think this is them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reebok-CrossFit-Trainers-Sneakers-Sports/dp/B01M5H77Z3

but they were discontinued. Mark Bell talked about a new model coming out, but that was some time ago.

He did release the 'new' model on his site with a super limited run. Something like 150 pairs and they were like $150 before shipping and sold out in an hour or so

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just lift in flat, hard soled shoes you fuckin spergs and don't leave a trail of sweaty footprints around the gym

Helios Grime posted:

That is some lovely rear end ROM, goddamn egolifters.
I dunno, seems like he takes "rear end to grass" pretty seriously at least.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

probably wrestling shoes
i got a pair of those sabo deadlift-1's, they're like wrestling shoes but they have straps

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mobby_6kl posted:

Just lift in flat, hard soled shoes you fuckin spergs and don't leave a trail of sweaty footprints around the gym

What about chalky shoe prints

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MikeCrotch posted:

What about chalky shoe prints

OMG I've seen someone put chalk on the floor in front of a bench so that their shoes don't slip lmao

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

my rear end hurts

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

my rear end hurts

His name???

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
is it normal to not have as much motivation to lift while cutting

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
sounds miserable. get back on the weetbix you weak gently caress.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I wish.

I managed to put up 285 for a rep on the bench this week. The dream of 3 plates before the end of the summer is alive.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I never knew Charles Bronson was so ripped.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I think I remember him looking that ripped and much older in the 47th installment of one of his series.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
when he realized he wouldnt be ripped forever thats when he started killing everyone

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I was finishing my "max" week of 5/3/1 for deads yesterday and my "95%" I'd worked out to 315, but when I picked it up it felt not bad and I ended up going about 7 reps at it. With that feeling in mind, I threw another 30 lbs on and repped 345 for 3 times with pretty good form and nothing tweaking or feeling unsteady. Should I take 360 as my 1RM for this session (and so push to 380) on my next 531?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I was finishing my "max" week of 5/3/1 for deads yesterday and my "95%" I'd worked out to 315, but when I picked it up it felt not bad and I ended up going about 7 reps at it. With that feeling in mind, I threw another 30 lbs on and repped 345 for 3 times with pretty good form and nothing tweaking or feeling unsteady. Should I take 360 as my 1RM for this session (and so push to 380) on my next 531?

How were the other days? I find the 1+ set the easiest by far.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wendler would yell at you for not understanding the point of the program and letting your ego take over but do whatever you want

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just call them joker sets or whatever the gently caress and raise your max.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

feelix posted:

Wendler would yell at you for not understanding the point of the program and letting your ego take over but do whatever you want

I think it wouldn't probably take very much for Jim "Stack Cycle Psycho" Wendler to start yelling at me.

sassassin posted:

How were the other days? I find the 1+ set the easiest by far.

All the other days felt great, like I had sandbagged when I was guessing my first 1RM. I hadn't done week-in, week-out DL, bench and squat for a while, so everything felt awesome.

I'm just going to bump my 1RM, which puts me on track to hit the number I wanted "by the end of August" anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's no point wasting months doing half a dozen bonus reps every session.

Unless you're trying to be a body builder or something.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My gym buddy is chasing after a 405 dead and went for a new 1RM yesterday- hit a PR at 375 really easily (talking like picked it straight up no fight). After a little bit of hemming and hawing he put another 15 on for 390 and did the same thing a few minutes later- super easy rep. Couldn't convince him to try the 4plates

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just started lifting... sort of. Off the booze so starting slow. I cancelled my membership to the YMCA because it was too expensive, lovely equipment and all of the poo poo was for seniors, and I just wasn't going. I signed up for Planet Fitness. Seriously. Planet Fitness. It's cheap and makes sense at the moment. I'm not lifting heavy. I'm going sometimes just to walk for an hour. I'm probably doing everything wrong that you guys don't do. I'm not going for strength right now. Honestly I'm really just going to go. Full body workout twice (hopefully) a week using mostly machines because they obviously don't have a lot of free weights.

I know, I know. But none of this is a joke. Planet Fitness lol. Just trying to get my life together and starting off simple. Very, very slow and very, very simple.

I do however, love salami. I really need to get some. I haven't had it in a while. Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese and salami on Wheat Thins or Tricuits. However, I have been known to just rip open the plastic, take a huge bite, and put it back in the fridge. We have some decent stuff out here in WI.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Omnikin posted:

My gym buddy is chasing after a 405 dead and went for a new 1RM yesterday- hit a PR at 375 really easily (talking like picked it straight up no fight). After a little bit of hemming and hawing he put another 15 on for 390 and did the same thing a few minutes later- super easy rep. Couldn't convince him to try the 4plates

Whenever I do near PR deadlifts and record it, it looks like I'm picking it up no problem with great form while inside I feel like my spine is about to split in half

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just started lifting... sort of. Off the booze so starting slow. I cancelled my membership to the YMCA because it was too expensive, lovely equipment and all of the poo poo was for seniors, and I just wasn't going. I signed up for Planet Fitness. Seriously. Planet Fitness. It's cheap and makes sense at the moment. I'm not lifting heavy. I'm going sometimes just to walk for an hour. I'm probably doing everything wrong that you guys don't do. I'm not going for strength right now. Honestly I'm really just going to go. Full body workout twice (hopefully) a week using mostly machines because they obviously don't have a lot of free weights.

I know, I know. But none of this is a joke. Planet Fitness lol. Just trying to get my life together and starting off simple. Very, very slow and very, very simple.

I do however, love salami. I really need to get some. I haven't had it in a while. Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese and salami on Wheat Thins or Tricuits. However, I have been known to just rip open the plastic, take a huge bite, and put it back in the fridge. We have some decent stuff out here in WI.

Welcome to never being satisfied with yourself ever again. :)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Doing things instead of thinking about doing things is 68.5% of my battle.

Except when it comes to food. Then I need to think more, do less.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

Welcome to never being satisfied with yourself ever again. :)

That's no change.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Khorne posted:

Doing things instead of thinking about doing things is 68.5% of my battle.

Except when it comes to food. Then I need to think more, do less.

Yeah I usually plan things out and have a strict schedule and all of that but then it turns it all into a huge chore. I learned that if I just do what I feel like when I feel like it, then I actually go. And surprisingly I want to go more.

I'm sure in time I'll start setting goals but right now just getting there is my #1 priority.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

UnfurledSails posted:

Whenever I do near PR deadlifts and record it, it looks like I'm picking it up no problem with great form while inside I feel like my spine is about to split in half

Yeah, sometimes you pick it up and just absolutely know you don't have another pound in you even if bar speed and form looks good.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I started off slow too, focusing on cardio and slowly adding weight training as I got more comfortable with my routine and my body. Good luck fam, building up the routine is 90% of the battle, especially at the beginning.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Also don’t get hung up on the Planet Fitness thing. They have a bad rep but your decisions to go there make sense. Just get your moneys worth and find another place if they’re not a good fit. Different gyms cater to different clients so shop around til you find a match

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yeah I usually plan things out and have a strict schedule and all of that but then it turns it all into a huge chore. I learned that if I just do what I feel like when I feel like it, then I actually go. And surprisingly I want to go more.

I'm sure in time I'll start setting goals but right now just getting there is my #1 priority.

That's how I got back in the game. I had a lot of fun for a couple months just going in and doing whatever the gently caress I wanted. I actually got bored with that and needed a routine but by that time I built up the momentum of going consistently and didn't want to stop. Keep it up homeboy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

dads friend steve posted:

I started off slow too, focusing on cardio and slowly adding weight training as I got more comfortable with my routine and my body. Good luck fam, building up the routine is 90% of the battle, especially at the beginning.

Hardest part of going to the gym is going to the gym. Everything past the front door is cake.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Hardest part of going to the gym is going to the gym. Everything past the front door is cake.

Except squats. gently caress squats forever. I’ve been doing them 2x a week for the last few years and they never get easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

I'm ok with squats but calves can gently caress right off. I have been hitting them 2x a week for years and i can probably calf-raise about 500lbs bit they look the loving same as they ever did.