Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blue Train posted:

smart tvs are all poo poo

skip a couple of steps and install a botnet in your home instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

The Management posted:

by someone really wanting to target you are you referring to websites and apps and access points that check the version of every device they encounter against a list if known exploits and automatically compromise them?

Well good thing I have settled on the 5 apps I actually use like 3 years ago and having a generous data plan means my wifi is off 90% of the time and the time it's on is only at home.
It's a device to call/sms, check bus schedules, check weather and read SA from time to time it's all I need out of it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That is clearly cat hair

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

OldAlias posted:

it’s fine. zoom with your feet

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blue Train posted:

smart tvs are all poo poo

i just got a new one with amazon firetv built in so that's nice otherwise i would have had to buy a firetv for it because gently caress using whatever homebrewed tvos these companies come up with

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
never connect your tv to the internet

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management posted:

this times 1000

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

:emptyquote:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

:yeah:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Management posted:

never connect your computer to the internet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

beep in your case id recommend it for all you’re devices

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:thunk:

I’ll consider it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

never connect to the internet

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Don't most of them attach to unsecured wifi in-range without asking so they can phone home?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Don't most of them attach to unsecured wifi in-range without asking so they can phone home?

lol
you have one?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

a smart tv or an unsecured wifi in range?

because I have neither, as an adult who lives in a house

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

most of the first gen smart tvs did that crap where they would connect on to any given wifi network without asking and would phone back pretty much everything you were doing in the clear on some http-alt port. the next gen ones moved that to https but then someone threw a proxy in front of it and determined it was the same poo poo. I just assumed that they kept doing that ever since.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah they’re dogshit garbage and many are still like that. no one needs or wants a smart tv, love to gently caress about with tv loading times, UI lag, advertisements when adjusting volume, pervasive monitoring and insecurity

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
and never ever update your tv firmware. it will only get worse.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

all the drawbacks of a lovely Comcast cable box with none of the benefits, all built in to your tv

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my Sony tv takes about 20 seconds from switching it on to being able to change input

smart tvs are pieces of poo poo

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
i have a roku smart tv and its fine

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah the roku ones are pretty good but expect that to change because the ceo just said that theyre making tracking and advertising their primary focus.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
darkest timeline

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. we have a "westinghouse" dumb-o tv.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah the roku ones are pretty good but expect that to change because the ceo just said that theyre making tracking and advertising their primary focus.

rip

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i have an lg tv, it uses webos instead of android, it's good

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

anthonypants posted:

i have an lg tv, it uses [any os] instead of android, it's good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

samsungs don't even use android. they use tizen. only sony has built-in android tv as far as i'm aware

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

tizen is actually worse than anroid tho lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hello, i put a linux on your television

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah i thought tizen was still too broken for them to do anything with it but apparently they're putting it on watches now. lomarf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well it's not like android wear has any market share, so why not?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

anthonypants posted:

i have an lg tv, it uses webos instead of android, it's good
banned for account sharing with rotor

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

yeah i thought tizen was still too broken for them to do anything with it but apparently they're putting it on watches now. lomarf
this was just over a year ago https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0519/

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

also it uses enlightenment

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
bonus: the lead efl guy got super pissed off in the comments https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/243

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

anthonypants posted:

bonus: the lead efl guy got super pissed off in the comments https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/243

lol