Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

This is actually both the longest running and also the busiest board game thread ever in SA and honestly it needed to be restarted at 1k pages. I think I mocked up some Dungeon Petz graphics but honestly I’m not sure what I would actually put in the OP so someone should really do everything for me TIA

Chex image, Caylus titan, and CCMF 18xx probably mandatory. Porgs optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wouldn't mind seeing 2-4 recommendations for games for different-sized groups of players in the OP. Have one for 2 players, 3-4 players, 5-6 players and 7+ players.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

uncle blog posted:

I know this has been brought up before, but is there any consensus of what books about board game design are considered good? Currently reading GameTek, which I'm pretty lukewarm on. It's too dry and focused on simply explaining how mechanics and trends work, and less about why they work (or don't).

Quoting myself since I got last-paged.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CaptainRightful posted:

For anyone curious about jumping on this KS, Zhanguo still stands in my memory as The Worst Heavy Euro. A complicated, themeless mishmash of every mechanic they could think of, like some sort of Double Trajan.

You had me terrified for a second that this was Gugong and I was freaking out thinking that I made a mistake. That said, I may still have made a mistake in this cast it is not the mistake I was initially worried about.

Got my copy of Dominant Species and Container. Looking forward to getting both out although it seems like the thread has implied DS should be played at MAX PLAYERS for MAX CARNAGE. Would a 2p be fine for learning it or should I just get a feel for the rules on my own and then dump it on everyone fresh?

The new Civ game is really fun by the way. Plays super fast and streamlines the gameplay almost to the point of abstraction. I'm not sure if this is an old trend that I'm just more aware of now but it seems like in a lot of games there's this great use of expanding/upgrading player actions in a smooth way. Like in Wendake for example, everyone gets to choose a new tile to add to their home board and as the game goes on, they just become better and better and obvious replacements but still require meaningful choice as to what you toss depending on how the game is going and what you're aims are.

And in Civ New Dawn, after you hit tech milestones you are allowed to go into your deck and replace a card with another one. And while the tech cards are usually better in an objective sense, they aren't always 1:1 better with what you're replacing so there are times when you are maybe happy for the moment with what you've currently got and don't want to lose a certain functionality or capability so you instead choose something else.

Scythe has its cubes and super satisfying upgrades, and even though it's older, Hansa Toot does something similar as well.

I'm rambling here but in general I really appreciate games that let you do things better and think it provides a nice power creep that not only makes a game change positively over time as players are given better tools, but also typically benefits the theme of the game too by creating both subjective and objective feelings of progress. Same thing with seeing a board build up with tiles and buildings.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'd run screaming from a six player Dominant Species game!!! It works fine with 3, 4, or 5.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

You had me terrified for a second that this was Gugong and I was freaking out thinking that I made a mistake. That said, I may still have made a mistake in this cast it is not the mistake I was initially worried about.

Got my copy of Dominant Species and Container. Looking forward to getting both out although it seems like the thread has implied DS should be played at MAX PLAYERS for MAX CARNAGE. Would a 2p be fine for learning it or should I just get a feel for the rules on my own and then dump it on everyone fresh?

I've only managed to get it played 2P-4P so far and it's fine. It seems to scale well even without multiple species/player. Note that AP will go up exponentially per player due to how much there is to see on the board. Personally, I'd probably consider 5P the max for this game. I can't imagine playing it at full 6 with space considerations on top of AP.

I've played container with 3,5P so far and you want 5P max when possible. 4P probably works but 3P seems to have too much business overlap to really get an interesting cartel going and :siren: feels more like an engine builder which might explain playtester concerns. :siren:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lorini posted:

I'd run screaming from a six player Dominant Species game!!! It works fine with 3, 4, or 5.

:colbert:

I love 6p Dominant Species.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Things worth covering:

Solo games (Friday, any open-info co-op)
2 player games (Pandemic/Legacy, Patchwork, 7W:D, Jaipur)
5+ player games (not my area of expertise)
party games (Codenames, Coup, Skull)
games for 2/5/8 year olds (depends heavily on the kid, Animal Upon Animal, Rhino Hero, a lot of the Peaceable Kingdom games are very good for broad age ranges)
travel (backpacking/camping) games (eh)
popular games to avoid at all costs (should be fun)
explain the "Living Game" model ($20 core sets on sale can be a trap; not all the games are bad but you should have a very good idea of what you're signing up for)

Maybe a section on "I have played and liked [good and popular mid-to-lightweight game], what is a good thing to try next? Things thread regulars know about but more casual players may not.

Like, "I just spent all weekend playing 7W/Agricola/Carcassonne/Catan. What is my next step?"

Apps get brought up, but that marketplace is a LOT bigger than it used to be and nearly all the adaptations are good enough or better, so that might be too much.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 25, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fast playing 6 player game that isn't an insipid party game I really recommend Corporate America which just released its Gilded Edition. It's kind of Chinatown meets Catan. Everyone has businesses that pay out when a consumer card is drawn that matches the business. Sometimes you'll draw a card that doesn't benefit you, at which point you can pay to draw another, but other players can bribe you to play a specific one. One person will be elected president and enact legislations that will hurt or benefit certain businesses like a Sin Tax makes sinful businesses worth less.

It's as random and unforgiving as Catan can be but unlike Catan it provides a real motivation to negotiate and everyone is contributing to the game. As in Chinatown you can wind up drawing crap but inevitably it has more value to someone else and that can be leveraged. Average score spread has always been +/- 10 points in a 100+ point scoring game. Default time is 45-60 minutes but it can be adjusted by adding extra executive cards which add 30 minutes per card.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

al-azad posted:

Fast playing 6 player game that isn't an insipid party game I really recommend Corporate America which just released its Gilded Edition. It's kind of Chinatown meets Catan. Everyone has businesses that pay out when a consumer card is drawn that matches the business. Sometimes you'll draw a card that doesn't benefit you, at which point you can pay to draw another, but other players can bribe you to play a specific one. One person will be elected president and enact legislations that will hurt or benefit certain businesses like a Sin Tax makes sinful businesses worth less.

It's as random and unforgiving as Catan can be but unlike Catan it provides a real motivation to negotiate and everyone is contributing to the game. As in Chinatown you can wind up drawing crap but inevitably it has more value to someone else and that can be leveraged. Average score spread has always been +/- 10 points in a 100+ point scoring game. Default time is 45-60 minutes but it can be adjusted by adding extra executive cards which add 30 minutes per card.

This sounds up my alley and like it benefits from a large player count but the time length appears pretty sweet.

Forgot to mention we've been playing a bit of Incan Gold lately and it's pretty good as an intro/filler push your luck game. Even better when people are a bit sauced and you start accusing others of cowardice and betrayal for running off with treasure.

VVVV Awesome. I like a game that is unabashed in its rulings like this as long as it doesn't turn into lolsorandom Munchkin crap

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 25, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Corporate America has my favorite arbitrary rulings. The first player is whoever has the most real money on hand. If there's ever a tie for anything you summon the supreme court by asking someone who isn't playing the game to make a blind ruling.

I broke a tie by asking the Thai delivery driver. I'm not joking.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

corporate america is very good

Hauki
May 11, 2010

deadwing posted:

corporate america is very good

oh hey, my friend designed that, I’ll have to pass this along :unsmith:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tekopo posted:

This is actually both the longest running and also the busiest board game thread ever in SA and honestly it needed to be restarted at 1k pages. I think I mocked up some Dungeon Petz graphics but honestly I’m not sure what I would actually put in the OP so someone should really do everything for me TIA

Make it Tragedy Looper themed

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Countblanc posted:

Make it Tragedy Looper themed

look, we want to pull people in here, not scare them away

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My daughter is 2 1/2 and has many Haba games she can handle. She loves to grab Daddy’s games and play with the components while supervised. We get out Patchwork all the time and basically play it like a puzzle trying to cover the whole board. When me and my wife play meatier games with player boards and lots of components we let her sit with us and have her own player board with workers and resources. I think just letting her sit and watch us play will be helpful when she gets older.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

A link to the top goon games (or the list itself) that Bottom Liner did would be cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

T-Bone posted:

A link to the top goon games (or the list itself) that Bottom Liner did would be cool.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collectio...btype=boardgame

for reference

you can search the goon rankings of various criteria like player count under advanced search with username SAGoons

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collectio...btype=boardgame

for reference

you can search the goon rankings of various criteria like player count under advanced search with username SAGoons

Is this filtered by a minimum number of votes? That's unfortunate because I think one of the great benefits of this thread is that lesser known gems like Wir sind das Volk! get recommended.

(Napoleon's Triumph gets the most enthusiastic praise here, but there should be a separate category in the OP for out of print "grail games".)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

Is this filtered by a minimum number of votes? That's unfortunate because I think one of the great benefits of this thread is that lesser known gems like Wir sind das Volk! get recommended.

(Napoleon's Triumph gets the most enthusiastic praise here, but there should be a separate category in the OP for out of print "grail games".)

I think the threshold was 5-7, so not a very high minimum out of the 200+ goons in the database.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I think the threshold was 5-7, so not a very high minimum out of the 200+ goons in the database.

Then more of you volk need to play and rate WSDV! I prefer it to Twilight Struggle!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I played Sekigahara for the first time last night. Probably not going to be an all-time favourite for me, but blocks are cool and I think that it's the perfect 2p game for playing with my friend who likes Risk.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hey guys, I've been playing a bunch of Galaxy Trucker with the gf. Of course, it's fun as heck, but there are problems introduced with its design that having only two players introduces. Have you ever played with any sort of 2p variants to spice things up? Stuff like build two ships, score the worst, add a dummy ship with X engines and Y guns, etc , remove some tiles before beginning construction, etc?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Hey guys, I've been playing a bunch of Galaxy Trucker with the gf. Of course, it's fun as heck, but there are problems introduced with its design that having only two players introduces. Have you ever played with any sort of 2p variants to spice things up? Stuff like build two ships, score the worst, add a dummy ship with X engines and Y guns, etc , remove some tiles before beginning construction, etc?

We did the build 2 ships and score the worst bit, but it stopped working when we got too good and wanted to implement those difficulty modifier cards. Too many of them just don't really work that way. If you're okay playing at standard difficulty and basically never having your ship blown apart, then that's fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Morpheus posted:

What problems do you have with it at 2p? Don't know if it changes anything but you could always do the turn based ship building like the app does for async play. It's surprisingly good that way too.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

It's surprisingly good that way too.

Obv people are allowed to play and enjoy games however they want, but I'm going to hard disagree with this one. I tried doing it that way twice, and both times it became a boring slog.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

teacup posted:

So this is obviously way early but I’m bored. My wife and I are expecting a baby daughter in December. What age / what games have people had success with in the past? We are new parents and don’t have any nephews or nieces or friends with babies so our reference point is basically zero on this. Like can kids get a super basic game at 3? 5? Etc

my kids right now are 4 and 1. Even though the four year old shows interest he hasn't had the patience to play anything longer than 20 or 30 minutes or so. He did make it through a short game of learning gaslands over the weekend where we each only had one car.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean if you're worried about it being too easy, get expansions. If you already play with rough road and all that and still wreck everything, congrats you're GT savants.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Morpheus posted:

BTW, "removing tiles before construction" is automatically a thing in the expansion, and absolutely something you should do, esp for lower level flights.

Another option for gently tweaking difficulty is messing with the distribution and size of the deck.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bottom Liner posted:

What problems do you have with it at 2p? Don't know if it changes anything but you could always do the turn based ship building like the app does for async play. It's surprisingly good that way too.

No real problems, per se...but it's just not as interesting when there's only two ships jockeying for control. Likewise, there are rules in the expansion for when you include all those tiles, to remove X amounts of tiles if you're playing with fewer than 5 people, but no rules from removing tiles when you're just playing with 2 (if you don't have the expansion).

silvergoose posted:

I mean if you're worried about it being too easy, get expansions. If you already play with rough road and all that and still wreck everything, congrats you're GT savants.

Not really about being too easy, just not being quite as fun (as much as that means). The game is still fun, don't get me wrong, and in fact tonight we're cracking open an expansion module or two, but that's not to add in some spice to 2p, it's more because I've owned the drat thing for years and years, and have yet to be given a chance to play them.

Seriously I've played this game like a dozen times but there's always been at least one new player at the table so it would feel dickish to teach them the game and then also teach them an expansion. After I introduced my gf to it, we played two games and I think that's enough for something new to be added in. I'll see if that alleviates any feelings I have about 2p.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Morpheus posted:

No real problems, per se...but it's just not as interesting when there's only two ships jockeying for control. Likewise, there are rules in the expansion for when you include all those tiles, to remove X amounts of tiles if you're playing with fewer than 5 people, but no rules from removing tiles when you're just playing with 2 (if you don't have the expansion).

Not really about being too easy, just not being quite as fun (as much as that means). The game is still fun, don't get me wrong, and in fact tonight we're cracking open an expansion module or two, but that's not to add in some spice to 2p, it's more because I've owned the drat thing for years and years, and have yet to be given a chance to play them.

Seriously I've played this game like a dozen times but there's always been at least one new player at the table so it would feel dickish to teach them the game and then also teach them an expansion. After I introduced my gf to it, we played two games and I think that's enough for something new to be added in. I'll see if that alleviates any feelings I have about 2p.

I feel like, if someone's gonna like GT, they're likely to also like being thrown into the deep end with all the bells and whistles (of doom) there are :v: .

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's with this competitive edge to Galaxy Trucker? The goal is to have any money whatsoever, not who has the most money. That's dumb.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

al-azad posted:

What's with this competitive edge to Galaxy Trucker? The goal is to have any money whatsoever, not who has the most money. That's dumb.

Everyone with money wins, but the person with the most money wins the most.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Aren't we long overdue for a new board game thread? Because that's a mighty fine candidate for a new tile.

Board Game Thread: No XX before 18

For some reason I'm picturing a huge king Philip with no skin.

silvergoose posted:

I am this and also the guy that flips the hourglass at the first opportunity.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Rad Valtar posted:

My daughter is 2 1/2 ... When me and my wife play meatier games with player boards and lots of components we let her sit with us and have her own player board with workers and resources.

I do the same thing and it works out pretty well. Depending on the game it can actually make it more interesting. We've played Kingdomino a couple times with my daughter ... participating in the auction (and just making a pretty pattern with her tiles). It screwed with our buys in a weird way and everyone had fun. The tiles have nice art details to keep her interested too.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm working on a game design that uses shipping times as part of the game. The idea is that when you produce something, you can choose from different ships to put it on, with those ships having different travel times, like some take 2 turns to get to port, some take 3, things like that. Slower ships have cheaper costs.
I figured this would be a good place to ask if people know of anything similar. I know about Container, but I was hoping to find something that makes shipping time a built in part of the game. Anyone have ideas?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For-Ex, sorta? You make a contract, it goes in the queue.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Funzo posted:

I'm working on a game design that uses shipping times as part of the game. The idea is that when you produce something, you can choose from different ships to put it on, with those ships having different travel times, like some take 2 turns to get to port, some take 3, things like that. Slower ships have cheaper costs.
I figured this would be a good place to ask if people know of anything similar. I know about Container, but I was hoping to find something that makes shipping time a built in part of the game. Anyone have ideas?

Panamax?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Made a video on Keyper if you're interested in it. Audio is better but maybe too loud? I don't know. I hate fussing with mics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZ0zk270Zk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

CellBlock posted:

Everyone with money wins, but the person with the most money wins the most.

This is what I tell people in 18xx, Container, etc. to make them feel better.

I mean what I tell myself :negative: