Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

dark knight was cool but everyone knows that by now.

i enjoyed my time with GLD -> PLD but i never took it beyond 30-ish, and supposedly it gets pretty dumb beyond that. what i really enjoyed about it was the flavor surrounding what a paladin truly is in the world of ffxiv. deeply loved the shift away from a typical "holy warrior sworn by oaths and religion" to just "travel the lands and protect those who could not help themselves".

someday i'd love to see the rest of the PLD storyline through but that won't be for a good long while. i think it's super smart that ffxiv lets one character be every class but i still get attached to my characters as characters. i don't really see my current character as a noble hero, so down the line i'd like to make an alt character for some other classes. suboptimal, yeah, but i'd be happier in the long run. super mega don't want to play through all the story again though so maybe when the next expansion inevitably hits i'll get a story/level skip, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're missing nothing from the PLD storyline.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm a big fan of ALC's whole CSI Eorzea schtick.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I enjoyed the CNJ quests, but ARR WHM was just...nothing, and the Heavensward one wasn't that much better.

In the same vein, I'm leveling BLM, and I actually really enjoyed the THM quests, but BLM has been "bleh" so far.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I enjoyed the CNJ quests, but ARR WHM was just...nothing, and the Heavensward one wasn't that much better.

Personally I just snerked like a 12-year-old every time they told me to clean up the "taint".

In all seriousness though, I suspect you may find the SB questline for WHM to be more enjoyable.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I actually really enjoyed the Stormblood WHM questline, after dragging my feet through the previous two sets. I went and did the BLM quests immediately afterwards though, which gave me a huge amount of whiplash. I really enjoyed the stupid catboy CNJ who thinks I'm going to fly off the handle and murder folks, despite being the Warrior of Light and (arguably) strongest White Mage around. Just loved it. So much.

Kaubocks posted:

i don't really see my current character as a noble hero, so down the line i'd like to make an alt character for some other classes.
Good news! From ARR to Stormblood, there's like a single moment in the entire library of PLD quests that involves you being even slightly heroic. What a dumpster fire of a quest line.

Mizar
Jul 28, 2005
Ugh

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I actually really enjoyed the THM quests, but BLM has been "bleh" so far.

BLM stuff pretty much sucks until Stormblood unfortunately. :(

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

rujasu posted:

In all seriousness though, I suspect you may find the SB questline for WHM to be more enjoyable.

Mizar posted:

BLM stuff pretty much sucks until Stormblood unfortunately. :(

Does Stormblood just have better job quests all around? I know I liked RDM's (I've done up to 62 for it) :v:

Also ARR SMN is just. Empty. There isn't a a developed plotline, really.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Does Stormblood just have better job quests all around? I know I liked RDM's (I've done up to 62 for it) :v:

Yes, but SAM and RDM don't count for that since they were released with SB.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ragnar Homsar posted:

ARR summoner feels pretty barren because it isn't a 1.0 carry over so there wasn't already existing material to draw from or recycle bits with, and they went with Summoner being pretty gosh darn rare because it's Allagan magic and huh, there aren't any of those guys remaining to help flesh things out. Let's buddy you up with a conjurer because of that. Also here's this guy from 1.0. Never played or don't remember? Well, too bad. Now he's an Ascian agent and can also summon.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
MCH 60-70 has the best class trainer of all.

It’s you. You are the Machinist class trainer. MCH 60-70 is about you training Hilda the Mongrel and the Brume Militia how to machinist while solving a mystery. The execution isn’t quite as neat at the idea, but it helps drive the point home that you are one of the first practitioners and pioneers of a new profession.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Good news! From ARR to Stormblood, there's like a single moment in the entire library of PLD quests that involves you being even slightly heroic. What a dumpster fire of a quest line.

lol

but eh, even storytelling isn't everything with how i personally see the classes. i need to kinda pick and choose how much of the story i actually care about. best example is something in the WAR questline (i think level 65 job quest?). like, i see my character as kind of a big bruiser mostly just in it all for the fights. in that quest dorgono asks if you want to join her going back home, but all my dialogue choices were along the lines of "i cannot abandon my duties!" or "ah, forsooth, but if i were to leave then who would protect eorzea?"

i don't really expect any of the options to be "yes", obviously (though that would be cool as gently caress and i'd have picked it in a heartbeat), but still just none of them were written in a way that i personally see my character. and that goes for pretty much the entire plot in general. i don't really care about being the warrior of light, i just like to fight things. this isn't necessarily to say the writing is all bad but just how i perceive my character doesn't line up with it

so yeah! sure, i can ignore doing heroic things in the PLD questline. no biggie. but... i like the way they present the idea of a paladin in this game. love it, even, so much so that, yes, that is 100% how i see the class. paladins are heroes out to protect the weak. and that just doesn't really fit how i see my character, so i'd like to have an alt to be a paladin instead.

i don't really roleplay, per se, but i like being invested in my own characters :shobon:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
How do tanks play, anyway? Are they like Wow where you hammer half a dozen mobs at once?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
tanking is exactly like wow

you grind the patience of your other party members by declaring that you're going to determine the pace of the dungeon and scream that they don't pay your sub

(grab mobs, generate threat, drop out of tank stance, press aoe button)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Safeword posted:

How do tanks play, anyway? Are they like Wow where you hammer half a dozen mobs at once?

Tanks have a single-target and multi-target rotation like most melee classes do, yes.

Tanks also in general have an 'emnity combo' (which has a bunch of built-in combo effects to increase aggro) and a 'DPS combo' (for when you've established aggro and can then contribute to overall fight damage), and all Tanks eventually get both a Tank Stance and a DPS stance, so aside from your cooldowns there's some management about when to switch to your DPS stance and go hogwild, presumably with enough of an emnity lead that some BLM isn't going to rip the boss off you with their Triplecast Flare into Foul. :v:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

As how tanks play; in dungeons you gather as big amount mobs you and the party are comfortable with at one time, establish aggro and then switch to going ham on the enemies with as much aoe damage abilities and skills you can while simultaneously rotating defensive CDs to stay alive.

Tanking is great fun, although at lower levels before you have all the tools(tank stance etc) it can be very frustrating to hold aggro, but don't let that discourage you, like many have said before tanking gets a lot easier the higher level you are.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Safeword posted:

i play both wow and ffxiv fairly casually, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but i found tanking in ffxiv to be infinitely more satisfying

everyone else above me already have the details laid but but i just wanna say it feels fuckin GOOD to hit a group of enemies with a meaty Decimate :black101:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nemo_FF14/status/1002499083787911168

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Phone posted:

You're missing nothing from the PLD storyline.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

MCH 60-70 has the best class trainer of all.

It’s you. You are the Machinist class trainer. MCH 60-70 is about you training Hilda the Mongrel and the Brume Militia how to machinist while solving a mystery. The execution isn’t quite as neat at the idea, but it helps drive the point home that you are one of the first practitioners and pioneers of a new profession.

They did this a little bit in HW with Dragoon, and I really like that it's popping up more and more. The RDM questline is one of my favorites because very early on, X'ruhn realizes you're kind of a badass and starts treating you as an equal. Acknowledging that the player character is actually really powerful and important to the world they're in is one of the things I think XIV does really well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I still wish that RDM had the Ranged Physical DPS set of role actions instead of the Caster DPS set. Having things like Refresh and Tactician would've made RDM feel like the support DPS I think it's supposed to be. Also it feels weird not having Refresh as a RDM after it was like their signature thing in FFXI.

That said I guess we'd be pretty boned without Lucid Dreaming so :shrug:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Give tanks the Rescue role action.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Give tanks the Rescue role action.

Let me use Holmgang on party members.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

Let me use Sole Survivor on party members.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kuvo posted:

Bloodbath. Give it back to tanks.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 25, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There was a little more on the Eureka Logos system after translation - "a system where you can temporarily attain a different role." More info in the next Letter from the Producer.
It's not likely they'll completely reinvent the wheel, but it's always possible they're using Eureka as a testbed for ideas.
Given now that they're opening up all the in-class role actions in 4.4, they might be looking into how they'll change that in the expansion.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Just put all role skills into one giant pool we can pick 10 from. Everybody will be able to take goad, and I still won't get any 90% of the time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Just put all role skills into one giant pool we can pick 10 from. Everybody will be able to take goad, and I still won't get any 90% of the time.

my kingdom for a goad i whimper fruitlessly as i try to click on overpower for the 50th time in a trash pull but have no TP to spend

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

This would enable some actually interesting builds, at least for dealing with specific content. In practice it'd just mean that all four party members start casting Protect at the start of every dungeon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If only Fluid Aura was a CCable skill, I could use it to punt the idiot healer that insists on standing behind me away. Maybe even before they get whacked by Torment unto Death.

I still stand by Bloodbath as the one skill that I want back the most, though.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

From ARR to Stormblood, there's like a single moment in the entire library of PLD quests that involves you being even slightly heroic.

I'm struggling to recall what that could be. Was that in Heavensward? I really don't remember the Heavensward quests very well for PLD. That whole launch week is hazy for me.

e: Re: Bloodbath. Yes, please! I still miss that ability.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

CrashScreen posted:

I'm struggling to recall what that could be. Was that in Heavensward? I really don't remember the Heavensward quests very well for PLD. That whole launch week is hazy for me.

HW was the 'Paladins are like Highlanders only without the decapitation, also we need more Paladins' arc.

Pretty sure the single moment was in SB where you help a kid get unkidnapped so you can have a proper fight with your old GLD buddy. Although you could throw some more in there if you broaden your heroics to 'surpassing adversity.'

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Really indecisive at this point, with everything being so new. Archer had a fun twang to it, but ranged DPS is nothing new for me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I will always forgive SB PLD quests because they finally did what GLD was supposed to do. And the execution was very fun once it got there.

The HW quests were made by a criminal who snuck into Square's office.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Safeword posted:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Really indecisive at this point, with everything being so new. Archer had a fun twang to it, but ranged DPS is nothing new for me.

Do archer/bard if the idea of juggling a million plates sounds fun for you. They have a lot of stuff to manage and it's frantic but fun.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Someday Calofisteri will give me her minion.

Until then, I guess I'll watch her chug Gatorade from the Nullstone for the 500th time.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

You can swap out to something else as you approach cap on your archer. the ability to just try out jobs without making a new character is amazing

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Finished 3.0. What a ride. Also nice new comic book-style plot with the Warriors of Darkness there.

Seems that I have a lot of job questlines to do... are there ones that significantly alter dialogue in Stormblood MSQ, like getting DRG to 50 before meeting Estinien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pretty sure the single moment was in SB where you help a kid get unkidnapped so you can have a proper fight with your old GLD buddy. Although you could throw some more in there if you broaden your heroics to 'surpassing adversity.'

I totally forgot that Aldis had a kid following him everywhere. I just mostly remember the fact that the Coliseum finally got incorporated in some quests and it was a good excuse to meet the Warrior of Lights fans from the other walks of life.

Schneider Heim posted:

Seems that I have a lot of job questlines to do... are there ones that significantly alter dialogue in Stormblood MSQ, like getting DRG to 50 before meeting Estinien?

Someone may correct me, but I don't think there's any significant changes this time. The job quests are a little bit more disconnected from the MSQ (instead, Stormblood job quests reference the other jobs fairly often--I actually had a notepad file somewhere for all the cameos). At best, there's just an occasional reference, but you won't miss anything.