Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Robindaybird posted:

It's kind of funny they try to use Mimikyu as a spoopy ghost when the entire fandom thinks it's loving adorable

It kind of reminds me of the anime, where instead of just being envious of Pikachu, it’s essentially Mimikyu’s raison d’être to absolutely destroy Pikachu (unless things have changed since I took a break so I could finish playing USUM before continuing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

It's kind of funny they try to use Mimikyu as a spoopy ghost when the entire fandom thinks it's loving adorable

I mean, to be fair, it was designed to be loving adorable, it's not just fandom turning it cute. It's just also kinda creepy when you start to think about it, because the actual writers of Pokemon understand subtlety. Like when you first meet one in Sun/Moon, and the game makes you do a slow turn around to discover a weird thing standing right behind you, which, unlike any other Pokemon, actually speaks to you. And then when you go back to where it was later, the whole room is gone. Obviously it's not terrifying by any means, but it is an effectively unnerving moment for what it is.
Much, much creepier than spooky murder TVs, for example.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GirlCalledBob posted:

I mean, to be fair, it was designed to be loving adorable, it's not just fandom turning it cute. It's just also kinda creepy when you start to think about it, because the actual writers of Pokemon understand subtlety. Like when you first meet one in Sun/Moon, and the game makes you do a slow turn around to discover a weird thing standing right behind you, which, unlike any other Pokemon, actually speaks to you. And then when you go back to where it was later, the whole room is gone. Obviously it's not terrifying by any means, but it is an effectively unnerving moment for what it is.
Much, much creepier than spooky murder TVs, for example.

Naw, it was just as eye rolling there. But then you get in the fight and actually look at it and all goes :glomp:

And then it sweeps you repeatedly :argh:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I'd say... ditch the Corey stuff, make the murder TVs interactable ("Upon looking more closely, you can clearly make out the stuffing."), and have the player leave through a different exit, where a gym assistant asks them to rate their haunted house experience.

Maybe toss in a couple of NPCs somewhere that talk about that one gym leader who keeps trying to turn his gym into some avant garde haunted house, but keeps failing miserably.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They put a spooky level about ghosts and dead people right on the side of an old railroad. I'm surprised they went down the creepypasta route instead of doing something sensible like some kind of spiritual ghost train symbolising passage on to the next world or something.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Azza Bamboo posted:

They put a spooky level about ghosts and dead people right on the side of an old railroad. I'm surprised they went down the creepypasta route instead of doing something sensible like some kind of spiritual ghost train symbolising passage on to the next world or something.

Only if you then have a trainer (probably Cain, since apparently he's the only one who does this) have a pokemon Seismic Toss the train.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't think Pokemon Reborn is familiar with this concept of "symbolising". The closest thing to rhetoric is putting absols all over the place.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Only if you then have a trainer (probably Cain, since apparently he's the only one who does this) have a pokemon Seismic Toss the train.

Sawk used Suplex!

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Would that make him a trainer of a trainer?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unoriginal One posted:

I'd say... ditch the Corey stuff, make the murder TVs interactable ("Upon looking more closely, you can clearly make out the stuffing."), and have the player leave through a different exit, where a gym assistant asks them to rate their haunted house experience.

Maybe toss in a couple of NPCs somewhere that talk about that one gym leader who keeps trying to turn his gym into some avant garde haunted house, but keeps failing miserably.
Keep the gym leader being an actual literal ghost/monster/whatever the gently caress Shade is, though.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think Pokemon Reborn is familiar with this concept of "symbolising". The closest thing to rhetoric is putting absols all over the place.

The fleeing absols represent Raven's increasing burden of guilt. It is her absolution watching from a distance but always out of reach. Like the mirage of water in a desert where people have become dry and thirsty, Raven is beset with visions of vindication as she has blood on her hands.

This isn't a Christian fangame is it? They don't tell us all to find Jesus in the end, do they?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 26, 2018

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Azza Bamboo posted:

This isn't a Christian fangame is it? They don't tell us all to find Jesus in the end, do they?

Reborn's not dead, it's surely alive!
Edit: Forgot to Source this, it's "Arceus Is Not Dead" by ArtGuyCharlie. There's even shirts.

F14m3rz fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 26, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The worst part about posts like this is that it's getting hard to tell what's original and what's just stolen and unsourced.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

F14m3rz posted:

Reborn's not dead, it's surely alive!

The ending of God is (Not) Dead has Kevin Sorbo's character, a "smug atheist" college professor who shut down a "good Christian" student who was disrupting his class with petty gotchas, hit and killed by a car. This is framed as a good thing and a just punishment for being mildly dismissive of religion.

What I'm saying is that in comparing Pokemon Reborn to God is (Not) Dead, we've finally found the point where it becomes hard to decide which is worse.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
*smug atheist college professor gets run over by a car*
Cool Good Christian Student: "Wow, what a moron. Did that dumb-wad really just let himself die without accepting Christ as his Lord and Savior?"

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Cool Good Christian Student: "Wow, what a moron. Did that dumb-wad really just let himself die without accepting Christ as his Lord and Savior?"

"Now the Devil's going to show up and turn him into a Pokemon, and we'll have to send his daughter to a purity camp for re-education."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If I remember the summary of that film right, that last bit actually happens: he gets hit and converts as he’s bleeding out.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually, Professor Radisson did accept Jesus into his life... at least, after he lost in the debate to Josh Wheaton concerning God's existence by revealing that he actually hates God (making him an antitheist as opposed to a regular atheist) because his mother died of cancer when he was a kid. So after that and his wife leaving him for being a dick, he actually seems like he's going to turn his life around... but then he gets hit by a car. Then, a pastor (David A.R. White, "Jesus, Man" himself) passes by and he asks him if he believes in God as he passes away.

Some people theorize that Professor Radisson actually got run over by Sol Harkens, another atheist played by Kevin Sorbo in the movie Let There Be Light, when he gets into an accident while driving drunk and decides to change his life around when his dead kid tells him "Let There Be Light".

As you can imagine, the Christ-sploitation movie genre is one heck of a rabbit hole.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok. I think all of that might be worse than reborn.
If only because many people paid to see it.
well relatively a lot.
I don't have the drat box office numbers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only seen YouTube clips and pieces, but I've never seen an actual atheist in any Christ-sploitation movie. Just people who are perfectly aware that god exists and is real, but resent the fact for whatever personal reasons.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's because this type of Christian doesn't believe someone could honestly just not believe in God.

ne: I was gonna type 'believe in a god', but no, they specifically can't fathom someone not believing the specific God of the New Testament exists.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's because this type of Christian doesn't believe someone could honestly just not believe in God.

Yeah. An ACTUAL atheist mindset ('The concept of divine beings is fundamentally fictional') is so alien and incomprehensible to most devout religious people that it might as well sound like Time Cube level conspiracy theorism, so their first impulse is "you just got hurt and are resentful".

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Well, took me 4 days but I finally go through this thread, and only because I've been completely blanking over alll the interminable NPC chatter. As someone who used to hang out on RP forums, the level of self-indulgence here is giving me just the most awful flashbacks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah. An ACTUAL atheist mindset ('The concept of divine beings is fundamentally fictional') is so alien and incomprehensible to most devout religious people that it might as well sound like Time Cube level conspiracy theorism, so their first impulse is "you just got hurt and are resentful".

This isn't particularly unique to Christians or even religious people in general, mind. A lot of people will insist to their graves that the only reason a person could disagree with their pet worldview or ideology is that they're insufficiently informed or willfully ignorant. It never crosses their minds that someone could be in possession of all the same facts as them and come to a different conclusion.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Can't wait for the Collossians passage in the credits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Strange Matter posted:

Well, took me 4 days but I finally go through this thread, and only because I've been completely blanking over alll the interminable NPC chatter. As someone who used to hang out on RP forums, the level of self-indulgence here is giving me just the most awful flashbacks.
Those parts are at least awful in a familiar kind of way. Almost nostalgic, in the same way that remembering stupid poo poo you did as a teenager always is. Everything else is just so much worse.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I've been just vaguely smiling and shaking my head at the dialogue, most of us were that young once.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I did plenty of dumb poo poo as a kid but I can proudly say I never would have thought it appropriate to quote Pokemon song lyrics while a friend was being tortured.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dareon posted:

Yeah, I've been just vaguely smiling and shaking my head at the dialogue, most of us were that young once.

Most of us came to our senses and realised it was all utter garbage that needed to be buried as quickly as possible.

Also we know at least one or two of this group were actual grown adults at the time, and a few of them have become actual grown adults over the course of this game being made and released and worked on. 'Oh, teenagers lol' only works as an excuse for so long.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
RE: God's Not Dead, the sequal was worse because the villains were the ACLU. Yup.

Regarding Pokemon Reborn; I'd say it's worse primarily because the GND series were basically just cash grabs. This game is someone's passion project, except they seem to hate it? So that's just horrifying.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah that what gets me, is how single mindedly determined they are to finish something they hate - the sunk cost fallacy is huge with this game.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i've determined that this game is a supreme act of human arrogance

it seems to be constructed for no other reason than immortality. as terrible as it is, this remains one of the most popular pokemon fangames, even though its entire plot and setting is heavily entwined with the personality of a select insular community. if the author isn't doing it out of love for the series or out of love for game-making, it exists clearly to perpetuate a community she heads, and to remain forever as the most effort per audaciousness level that's gone into a branch of a very well-known series

it's interesting really. i wonder what the hell she's gonna do when this thing is finished.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Gyra_Solune posted:

it's interesting really. i wonder what the hell she's gonna do when this thing is finished.

Some tactical RPG called Starlight Divide.

There are also some fans of Reborn who've taken to making their own fan games inspired by Reborn (though from what I've seen, they're nowhere near as bad), like Pokemon Rejuvenation or Pokemon Desolation.

F14m3rz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 27, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wish I could make a game without having to put in a lot of effort over time, you know?

These guys put in the effort without having the desire to make the game and I think that actually wins respect from me. They did the difficult part.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 27, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wish I could make a game without having to put in a lot of effort over time, you know?

These guys put in the effort without having the desire to make the game and I think that actually wins respect from me. They did the difficult part.

Yeah, as much as we can, will, and currently are making GBS threads on them for their game, they made most of a game with unique assets and battle systems. And they're continuing to finish the game, despite not enjoying it and presumably getting little to no compensation for it

Their efforts are kind of wasted, but they are sure doing a lot

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
So, it's terrible, the creator seems to hate what it's based on, everyone in their right mind is appalled by it, but by God, they do a lot of it, and it's somehow popular among deeply broken people.

Pokemon Reborn is the Olive Garden of fangames.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

EclecticTastes posted:

Pokemon Reborn is the Olive Garden of fangames.

I have yet to see any breadsticks in this game, therefor your analogy is flawed and wrong :colbert:

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, as much as we can, will, and currently are making GBS threads on them for their game, they made most of a game with unique assets and battle systems. And they're continuing to finish the game, despite not enjoying it and presumably getting little to no compensation for it

Their efforts are kind of wasted, but they are sure doing a lot

According to Amethyst's Patreon (as of this comment), she gets $1,024 dollars a month, with 102 patrons backing her, concerning Pokemon Reborn (without mentioning it directly due to copyrights), Starlight Divide, and a secret project that only her patrons know about.

F14m3rz fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 28, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

F14m3rz posted:

According to Amethyst's Patreon (as of this comment), she gets $1,024 dollars a month, with 102 patrons backing her.

Good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

For a second I thought her being coy about reborn on that page was a tacit recognition that it's a tire fire, but then I realized she just doesn't want to get in trouble with Big Nintendo.