Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/queensland-police-union-warns-about-my-health-record

quote:

The Queensland Police Union has warned police officers in the state that their own My Health Record files could be accessed for investigations without any need for a court order, according to an email obtained by BuzzFeed News.

This has been contradicted by not only the Australian Parliamentary Library but now the Queensland Police Union, which told members in an email yesterday that under section 70 of the legislation the "mere investigation of a criminal offence or a breach of law" is a legitimate ground for investigators to access your My Health Record.
"This means that any police officer under investigation for a criminal offence or under investigation for seriously improper conduct will have their My Health Record be able to be accessed by investigators," the union told members in the email obtained by BuzzFeed News.
Cops are warning each other to opt out of the digital health record because it can be accessed by cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
https://tendaily.com.au/news/a180726kpi/exclusive-lee-lin-chin-quits-sbs-20180726

Lee Lin Chin quitting sbs; there's an extract of the article which I thought people itt would find informative

quote:

She delights in revealing her more irreverent and cheekier side with her extremely wry, acerbic and highly caustic tweets.

Sure, her alter-ego and friend, producer Chris Leben is the comedic brains behind her account, but nothing is said on her behalf, without her knowledge or prior consent.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

I literally cannot think of a single Dick Smith's food product that was actually better than other commercially available products and maybe that's why your business is dying hth

They’re all better than other commercially available products at making Dick Smith money, you idiot, you imbecile

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i hate when things come back to bite me in the arse :v:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

i hate when things come back to bite me in the arse :v:

Thanks for that insight Chris Kenny.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Former prime minister and treasurer Paul Keating has slammed the planned takeover of Fairfax by Nine, saying the "pus" from the "carbuncle" that is Nine's news culture will infect Fairfax and undermine quality journalism.

In a scathing response to the announcement, Mr Keating said that, with a majority stake in the combined entity, "Channel Nine will run the editorial policy".

"The problem with this is that in terms of news management, Channel Nine, for over half a century, has never other than displayed the opportunism and ethics of an alley cat.

"There has been no commanding ethical or moral basis for the conduct of its news and information policy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

go
off
king

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
good business decision, i'm sure buying a bunch of papers will work out in 2018

bandaid.friend posted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/queensland-police-union-warns-about-my-health-record

Cops are warning each other to opt out of the digital health record because it can be accessed by cops

if this doesn't convince you to opt out nothing will

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
oh theyre mainly buying it for domain and presumably firing everyone else

i guess thats okay but arnt house prices falling?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
People still have to list and sell and will arguably be more interested than ever in articles about real estate.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i could def see the last paper in australia being 100% about real estate in 10 years time, maybe a page in the back on how monthly increasing sea levels affect land values and boundaries

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reclines Obesily posted:

They're not falling! According to Domain it's a "correction"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Reclines Obesily posted:

They're buying it partly for Domain and partly for Fairfax's share of Stan which I think now gives Channel 9 complete ownership of it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Schlesische posted:

They're buying it partly for Domain and partly for Fairfax's share of Stan which I think now gives Channel 9 complete ownership of it.

ah i see, makes more sense now

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Regional papers will be dead within 12 months. The Age and SMH paper editions gone within 3. Most of the news people will lose their jobs. The Executives will keep theirs and get a pay increase. The Chairman will get ACA and 60 minutes to have hits on Labour and Green members. News will only be about Sydney and some Canberra/Melbourne. Crime will lead every broadcast and why the Labour government is bad and why you should vote for the LNP.

The ABC will be attempted to be sold off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fairfax also owns (partially or outright) a bunch of radio stations and regional newspapers. I'm guessing the former are safer than the latter.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

Resident Idiot posted:

OzeMite is better than Vegemite.

If you can't have gluten, anyway.

Yet still nobody eats it, 'cos VegeSpread and AussieMite are better alternatives.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Aren't most Aldi products wholly Australian anyway?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fairfax also owns (partially or outright) a bunch of radio stations and regional newspapers. I'm guessing the former are safer than the latter.

I think the only locally owned regional now is maybe the Woollongong paper whatever it's called. I might be confusing it with something else though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Guardian isn't locally owned, but it is beyond the reach of being bought by Stokes or Murdoch, and will basically be the last major independent news source left in Australia after the ALP sells the ABC in a focus group directed bid to earn a few hundred votes in blue riband LNP seats they trail by ten thousand.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

EoinCannon posted:

They're not falling! According to Domain it's a "correction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPXK-FfnXxU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You see when houses decrease in price they're actually going up. It's simple housonomics.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/david-leyonhjelm-when-i-step-out-of-my-suite-it-s-game-on-20180725-p4ztge.html

Is this bloke serious?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Man with big salary due to being a part of the machinery of government rails against there being a government.

The guy’s only in a job because the illiterates that voted for him didn’t read all the way across the ballot paper. Truly the most Australian way of being elected.

Dude McAwesome fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 26, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Victoria best state
https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/australias-most-transparent-and-open-donation-regime-passes-victorian-parliament/

quote:

The proposed legislation to clean up dodgy donations will:

Cap donations at $4,000 over a four-year parliamentary term, completely eliminating large donations to political parties, associated entities, and third-party campaigners

Reduce the disclosure limit from $13,500 to $1,000 per financial year

Ban foreign donations

Introduce tough penalties for failing to comply including up to 10 years imprisonment for breaches

Real time donations to shine a light on who donates and when

This Bill will now go to the Governor for assent, with the new laws set to be phased in from 1 August 2018 – this includes the ban on bunting at polling stations and the reduction in the disclosure limit to $1,000.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Making sure, I've got this MyHealth thing right:

Follow the instructions here and make an account here then go to "Profile" and click "cancel this bullshit you bastards".

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

How are Vic Libs going to get any funding whatsoever now?

I’m genuinely interested in this. If big donors can’t pump tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars into the party, where do they get money from?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
nimby sophies choice

The Berejiklian government says it faced the difficult choice of compulsorily acquiring more homes or swallowing up golf courses to build a 14-kilometre tunnel linking the northern beaches to the city's inner west.

In justifying the decision to turn Balgowlah's golf course into a construction site, Roads Minister Melinda Pavey said it “essentially came down” to bulldozing more homes or taking the golf course for the $14 billion project.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Dude McAwesome posted:

How are Vic Libs going to get any funding whatsoever now?

I’m genuinely interested in this. If big donors can’t pump tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars into the party, where do they get money from?

My inner cynic says rich bastard will give $1000 to his wife, son, daughter, son-in-law, etc to donate.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Watch now as every newspaper in Victoria posts coordinated attacks on the legislation, under the premise that taking the liberal's money away creates an unfair bias because.. unions?

(All while failing to acknowledge that the Greens even exist, let alone represent a viable 3rd party in Melbourne seats, all without large corporate donations)

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
New Zealand proving once again that they're better than Australia where it counts:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/26/new-zealand-paid-domestic-violence-leave-jan-logie?CMP=soc_567 posted:

'A huge win': New Zealand brings in paid domestic violence leave in world first

MPs cheer after legislation passes to tackle what one called ‘horrifying’ rates of family violence

Eleanor Ainge Roy in Dunedin

New Zealand has passed world-first legislation granting victims of domestic violence 10 days paid leave to allow them to leave their partners, find new homes and protect themselves and their children.

MPs clapped and cheered as bill passed on Wednesday night with 63 votes to 57. It is the result of seven years of work by Green MP Jan Logie, who worked in a women’s refuge before she became a politician.

Despite some opposition National MPs initially supporting Logie’s private members bill the entire party withdrew its support at the final reading, saying the cost to small and medium-size businesses would be too great, and might dissuade employers from hiring people they suspected of being domestic violence victims.

New Zealand has one of the highest rates of domestic violence in the developed world, with police responding to a family violence incident every four minutes. Family violence is estimated to cost the country between NZ$4.1bn and $7bn a year.

Logie, who teared up when her bill was passed, said the new legislation was the first step in tackling the country’s endemic and “horrifying” domestic abuse rates, and other countries should follow suit.

“Part of this initiative is getting a whole-of-society response. We don’t just leave it to police but realise we all have a role in helping victims. It is also about changing the cultural norms and saying ‘we all have a stake in this and it is not OK’,” said Logie.

The new legislation will come into effect in April next year and stipulates that any person experiencing domestic violence will be entitled to 10 days paid leave from work, which will be in addition to standard holiday and sick leave entitlements.

Domestic violence victims do not have to provide proof of their circumstances, and will also be entitled to fast-tracked flexible work conditions designed to ensure their safety, such as changing their work location, changing their email address and having their contact details removed from the business’s website.

“Domestic violence doesn’t respect that split between work and life. A huge amount of research tells us a large number of abusive partners bring the violence into the workplace,” said Logie. “Be that by stalking their partner, by constant emails or phone calls or threatening them or their workmates. And some of that is about trying to break their attachment to their job to get them fired or get them to quit so they are more dependent on their partner. It is very common.”

Family violence groups welcomed the new legislation, saying it was the beginning of New Zealanders realising that tackling the problem was part of a broader shift to improving employee wellbeing.

Dr Ang Jury, the chief executive of Women’s Refuge, said the bill was in no way a “magic bullet” and was not preventative in nature, but it was “a significant step in the right direction”. She said: “We know women’s economic situation is pivotal to her choices that decides what she can and can’t do. If she can retain her job and retain the confidence of her employer, whilst still dealing with domestic issues, then that is great news.”

Holly Carrington, a spokeswoman for Shine, a charity helping victims of domestic abuse, said: “It sets a solid benchmark for what businesses are legally required to do and we need to be clear that employers can do this from a perspective of self-interest, because by helping those staff they will be retaining valuable employees and improving productivity.”

The Labour coalition government allocated an additional NZ$80m in funding for family violence groups in May’s budget – the first funding boost for frontline services in a decade. But Carrington said the problem was “overwhelming” and needed more resources and a royal commission of inquiry into the family courts, a demand supported this week by the United Nations committee on Women’s Rights.

“Obviously we are happy and thrilled [about the bill] but in the scheme of things the struggle goes on,” said Carrington. “Our frontline staff are overwhelmed on a daily basis. We have dangerous, high-risk cases every day where the system is completely failing to protect them. We didn’t take the time out to celebrate. Maybe we should have, because this is a huge win.”

In March the Australian government announced it would introduce legislation entitling workersto five days unpaid leave to deal with a family violence situation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

froglet posted:

My inner cynic says rich bastard will give $1000 to his wife, son, daughter, son-in-law, etc to donate.

New penalties of 10 YEARS IMPRISONMENT

For entering into arrangements that seek to circumvent these laws.

I would say exactly the same thing about unions donating via members and officials. The rules make it pretty straight forward as far as the potential of getting hosed up extremely hard. I see the risk far more in the new super religious set of the liberals that will be asked to donate genuinely as individuals for $1k a go even if they don't have that kind of money.

Rich bastard's family will already do it since rich people breed rich people who have their own thousand dollars.

JBP fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 26, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Don Dongington posted:

Watch now as every newspaper in Victoria posts coordinated attacks on the legislation, under the premise that taking the liberal's money away creates an unfair bias because.. unions?

(All while failing to acknowledge that the Greens even exist, let alone represent a viable 3rd party in Melbourne seats, all without large corporate donations)

Too late, it becomes law in 5 days.

froglet posted:

And employees and friends etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

drunkill posted:

And employees and friends etc.

They have one thousand dollars already. People aren't going to suddenly make individual donations if they don't already and most of rich man's kids are now living in Carlton North voting greens.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There's also the matter of the Vic ALP and Liberal corporate donors being almost tit for tat with their donations to both sides. The Libs have a cash advantage, but this erodes it. The ALP and Greens have a people and campaigning advantage.

E: in saying this I'm not sure what effect it has on political expenditure. So the party won't get money, but the ALP for instance has far more friends willing to spend on political communication. Like, Getup spends ten times what the largest donor to the Liberal party does on endorsing or disendorsing a party directly.

JBP fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 26, 2018

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Making sure, I've got this MyHealth thing right:

Follow the instructions here and make an account here then go to "Profile" and click "cancel this bullshit you bastards".

If you don't have a MyHealth record then you can opt out without creating an account, you just need your Medicare and driver's licence numbers. https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/opt-out-my-health-record

Not sure how it works if you do have one already, your instructions might be right for that.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I rang them up and was done in five minutes 1800 723 471

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Is Emma Husar getting fair treatment in the press and in parliament?

http://theconversation.com/emma-husar-allegations-show-a-need-for-clearer-rules-about-what-mps-can-and-cannot-do-100580

Her alleged indiscretions would seem trivial compared to notably Barnaby Joyce and Trevor Ruthenberg (https://www.afr.com/news/malcolm-turnbull-stands-by-longman-candidate-after-medal-mistake-20180716-h12rpm). Bullying of staff is never OK but maybe they should start with NTATA's office while in government if there is an actual commitment to eradicating the culture. It seems that LNP officials and representatives have to actually be in jail before there is any thought of sanctioning them by the LNP.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Anyone asked Keith Windschuttle to peer review this?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-27/map-of-indigenous-massacres-grows-to-include-more-sites/10040206

loving ABC bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Is Emma Husar getting fair treatment in the press and in parliament?

http://theconversation.com/emma-husar-allegations-show-a-need-for-clearer-rules-about-what-mps-can-and-cannot-do-100580

Her alleged indiscretions would seem trivial compared to notably Barnaby Joyce and Trevor Ruthenberg (https://www.afr.com/news/malcolm-turnbull-stands-by-longman-candidate-after-medal-mistake-20180716-h12rpm). Bullying of staff is never OK but maybe they should start with NTATA's office while in government if there is an actual commitment to eradicating the culture. It seems that LNP officials and representatives have to actually be in jail before there is any thought of sanctioning them by the LNP.

The problems with a captive press - Labor or the Greens gently caress up, own it, admit it to the press and still get crucified. Liberals get caught with their massive graft and the papers happily whistle away until something actually criminal happens. How's Michaelia Cash going anyway?

Federal ICAC now.

• Locked thread