Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, I really hope the nemesis system gets used for something other than a brawler at some point because I am terrible at this sort of game. It could be applied to almost any genre with good results. XCOM 2 for instance, sort of a nemesis lite which worked quite well.

Hell, the nemesis system could be applied to equipment, pull off a certain number of moves that resorts in decapitations, and now you have a vorpal blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Daggers get more serrated the more you brutalize, etc

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I've realized why I keep dying to those stupid QTE, my reaction time is fine, its the fact its about timing. I kept on hammering the button the second i saw it. I forgot about the second blue circle to wait for. Also the other game I am playing is Evil within 2, so I got to shake the habit of flailing when i am being grabbed or near death.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I still think that the Nemesis system should apply to locations, MGSV style. Lots of decapitation leads to higher collars on grunt armour, sniping makes for faster archers, you burn too many orcs they start getting fireproof, etc. Could apply both across locations and across clans so you can push for fireproof Dark Udun Ologs or whatnot

Had my first legendary orc show up from beyond the grave. Fucker got fast as poo poo and was constantly both on fire and dishing out unreasonable fire damage. Put him down and felt kinda bad about it but he was definitely talking like he wanted to die for good.

Also I've got a Bert and Ernie blood brother duo who are wrecking my poo poo constantly, one's a sniper with no real weaknesses and the other's a Ghul Lover berserker who has the inexplicable ability to never quite die even when I've got him terrified. I want to keep them around for recruiting but they're making story quests in the first region a real problem. And there's this perfectionist old dude who I swear can see me through walls and I want him in my army as official Uruk Grandpa

E: How is this thread not named after Bruz he is amazing

Somfin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 26, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Amazing at being a dumb dumb

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Shnag posted:

I've realized why I keep dying to those stupid QTE, my reaction time is fine, its the fact its about timing. I kept on hammering the button the second i saw it. I forgot about the second blue circle to wait for. Also the other game I am playing is Evil within 2, so I got to shake the habit of flailing when i am being grabbed or near death.

Nevermind, still suck at them. Getting numb hands from work doesn't help much either. Still a fun game though, and I am still seeing lots of fun and variety with the orcs personalities, maybe i'll start seeing repeats as I go on. *While chasing after me* "Stop (pant) living!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shnag posted:

Nevermind, still suck at them. Getting numb hands from work doesn't help much either. Still a fun game though, and I am still seeing lots of fun and variety with the orcs personalities, maybe i'll start seeing repeats as I go on. *While chasing after me* "Stop (pant) living!"

They fuckin' hard as hell but I think the difficulty is kind of procedural, sometimes you get four seconds, sometimes you get a quarter of a second and you have to look somewhere you weren't expecting and oh god why was it B

On the other hand losing them is kinda fun since it's like the first fail-forward game where I just don't actually care if some baddy kills me (even the first game I felt a bit poo poo sometimes, this time the map moves so fast when I die that I kind of feel happy to just watch the play unfold for a bit)

I picked up a bodyguard called Tuka the Chill and he's got the wrongest name in the history of the game, he straight murders everybody he gets a chance to (even ones I was hoping to add to the army, had to swap him out to a thrice-shamed legendary archer just to stop the bloodshed)

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 26, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Somfin posted:

E: How is this thread not named after Bruz he is amazing

Indeed.

If it was up to me, I'd remove all of the story missions except for the Bruz storyline and the part when Celebrimbor really wants a dragon but mommy and daddy Eltariel and Talion won't let him have one.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Somfin posted:

They fuckin' hard as hell but I think the difficulty is kind of procedural, sometimes you get four seconds, sometimes you get a quarter of a second and you have to look somewhere you weren't expecting and oh god why was it B

On the other hand losing them is kinda fun since it's like the first fail-forward game where I just don't actually care if some baddy kills me (even the first game I felt a bit poo poo sometimes, this time the map moves so fast when I die that I kind of feel happy to just watch the play unfold for a bit)

I picked up a bodyguard called Tuka the Chill and he's got the wrongest name in the history of the game, he straight murders everybody he gets a chance to (even ones I was hoping to add to the army, had to swap him out to a thrice-shamed legendary archer just to stop the bloodshed)

I went straight to hunting captains, but I should do some of the story missions to unlock controlling orcs. Its already alot of fun so see a brawl of human vs. orc. vs. beast vs. tamed beast, but adding my own orcs to it would make it better.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Bruz extended family is pretty fantastic, I’ll say that much.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shnag posted:

On a related note, is there any specific thing that determines when a captain you try to kill will force you to go through a QTE to actually kill them rather than them escaping? I think I wouldn't find it nearly as annoying if I knew that was coming.

(otherwise game owns, picked it up last week on sale for the XBone and it's definitely an improvement over the first game, but hopefully I don't burn out on this on after the first zone like I did for SoM)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

On a related note, is there any specific thing that determines when a captain you try to kill will force you to go through a QTE to actually kill them rather than them escaping? I think I wouldn't find it nearly as annoying if I knew that was coming.

(otherwise game owns, picked it up last week on sale for the XBone and it's definitely an improvement over the first game, but hopefully I don't burn out on this on after the first zone like I did for SoM)

Death Defying is an ability that gives orcs a Last Chance and that forces you to go through a QTE if you kill them with a melee attack.

Then there's something else that also forces you to go through the same QTE but they end up dying instead of getting a Last Chance and that I'm not sure of.
I think it might be dependent on how "important" an orc is? Because afaik Overlords always trigger that QTE.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Death Defying is an ability that gives orcs a Last Chance and that forces you to go through a QTE if you kill them with a melee attack.

Then there's something else that also forces you to go through the same QTE but they end up dying instead of getting a Last Chance and that I'm not sure of.
I think it might be dependent on how "important" an orc is? Because afaik Overlords always trigger that QTE.

There's a variety of triggers for the old SoM style "Here we are at last my sweet" pre-QTE thing, but I have no idea if there's a solid, 100% will always cause it thing. Generally if an orc has remarkable history with you it'll come up when you kill them. Cheat death, killed you, that kind of thing.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What ability causes that triple QTE thing where you have to hit random buttons, vs the attack that you just have to counter normally 3 times? Because I loving always fail the random buttons one except for the time it was EEE. I'm not even sure how it works honestly because i'm usually hitting buttons too fast. A red circle just pops up with a random button and I instantly gently caress it up. How long do you have to respond to those?

Also what is the point of the enemy Last Chance events? It seems nearly impossible to miss those. Do you kill them extra-dead if you time it perfectly or something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Moose posted:

What ability causes that triple QTE thing where you have to hit random buttons, vs the attack that you just have to counter normally 3 times? Because I loving always fail the random buttons one except for the time it was EEE. I'm not even sure how it works honestly because i'm usually hitting buttons too fast. A red circle just pops up with a random button and I instantly gently caress it up. How long do you have to respond to those?

Also what is the point of the enemy Last Chance events? It seems nearly impossible to miss those. Do you kill them extra-dead if you time it perfectly or something?

Triple Attack QTEs give you something like 3 seconds per button to react but if you press the wrong button then you instantly fail it, which is probably what's happening in your case.

If you miss the Last Chance QTE then they get to hit you and if you don't miss it then they don't get to hit you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
In the context of Online Conquest giving Captains a caragor still makes a ton of sense because his gang will also get caragors, so an individual captain will effectively bring up to 8 ‘units’ to the field. Whether attacking or defending, that’s a big deal.

But yeah you can’t groom both legendary traits anymore, which is hopefully an oversight. But even if it isn’t, being able to control an epic trait with zero real effort is super nice.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

In the context of Online Conquest giving Captains a caragor still makes a ton of sense because his gang will also get caragors, so an individual captain will effectively bring up to 8 ‘units’ to the field. Whether attacking or defending, that’s a big deal.

That's only true for Elite Gangs, no? Or are rules for Fight Pits and Conquests different regarding that?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

I think Tanks get it for free, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

That's only true for Elite Gangs, no? Or are rules for Fight Pits and Conquests different regarding that?

they're different. in conquests it's like if someone was doing a vendetta on your chessboard - gangs get caragors if they would have gotten them based on their context. so it's not a guarantee if the training grounds is really hemmed in, but the first couple of points will typically see a big clutch of caragors hanging around if a warchief's bodyguards are all riders with gangs.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 26, 2018

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Somfin posted:

I think Tanks get it for free, too.

Tanks get Cheat Death which is like a Last Chance except they always succeed and get back up. Also Cheat Death doesn't work in pit fights but they will probably show up later and be mad at you for leaving them for dead.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can't wait to finally play soon when the download finishes, just a couple of days left (provided Steam doesn't restart the download again) :sludgepal:

I've decided to start a new game after looking at the new gear for a bit. Since garrisoning is free now i can take all of the uruks i meet with legendary scars that you only see once per game, put them in my garrison and keep them with me from region to region as my personal posse of hosed up people. Making them more hardcore as i go along. Gonna be great.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

During the very last captain fight at the very end of Shadow Wars, I was rescued by Forthog. It felt very appropriate after watching the credits.

Shadow Wars was more fun than I thought it was gonna be, but I don't know how it was before the big patch. I definitely wouldn't have had as much fun without the Nazgul mask that turned me into Nightcrawler. How rough was it pre-patch? I remember that being one of the sour points for a lot of people.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Crowetron posted:

Shadow Wars was more fun than I thought it was gonna be, but I don't know how it was before the big patch. I definitely wouldn't have had as much fun without the Nazgul mask that turned me into Nightcrawler. How rough was it pre-patch? I remember that being one of the sour points for a lot of people.

There were about 10x more siege defences, no exposition and no rewards. I enjoyed it still tho, but it was rough for people that just wanted to get past it to see the credits roll.

Edit: Also there was a conviction in the playerbase that you needed to buy lootboxes to speed up the Shadow Wars. Some big youtubers claimed that it was a lootbox trap and most of everyone that cared to speak up parroted that opinion, but i disagree with that pretty hard.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 26, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crowetron posted:

During the very last captain fight at the very end of Shadow Wars, I was rescued by Forthog. It felt very appropriate after watching the credits.

For me it was just that it was way too long and super tedious. I only got up to stage 7 or 8 before the patch because I just lost interest, but managed to complete the game today.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Dongattack posted:

There were about 10x more siege defences, no exposition and no rewards. I enjoyed it still tho, but it was rough for people that just wanted to get past it to see the credits roll.

Edit: Also there was a conviction in the playerbase that you needed to buy lootboxes to speed up the Shadow Wars. Some big youtubers claimed that it was a lootbox trap and most of everyone that cared to speak up parroted that opinion, but i disagree with that pretty hard.

Moreso misinformation, as lootboxes did not in fact speed anything up. But, of course, kneejerk reactions from youtubers and all their sycophants being echo chambers took care of the rest.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I still haven't done post-patch Shadow Wars but pre-patch Shadow Wars were definitely a massive boring chore and even if it was intended to make you buy lootboxes then it kinda failed, since you can just use the orcs that were attacking you to defend the fortress next mission.

EDIT: Also yeah, pre-patch lootboxes were hardly a problem but still it's real nice to be able to buy training orders and steal orcs from vendetta missions now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I still haven't done post-patch Shadow Wars but pre-patch Shadow Wars were definitely a massive boring chore and even if it was intended to make you buy lootboxes then it kinda failed, since you can just use the orcs that were attacking you to defend the fortress next mission.

EDIT: Also yeah, pre-patch lootboxes were hardly a problem but still it's real nice to be able to buy training orders and steal orcs from vendetta missions now.

It's 3-4 stages now, and only the last has multiple sieges. You could burn through it in an afternoon.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
how did it know exactly which captains I wanted it to install as the new warchiefs

Like, I stuck my bodyguard in there as the new Overlord but I was tossing up between him or one of those two, and then the game went and picked those two as his seconds and that is freaky

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

So how exactly does warchief respawning in higher difficulties work? I know Brutal is supposed to ensure they respawn quicker, but when preparing for the first fort assault both warchief slots were refilled the instant I finished killing the second. I didn't fast travel, didn't hang around, just beelined it to the assault mission and two new unknowns were waiting for me on the walls. Is this intended? That seems... really unfun. Brutal is otherwise really enjoyable, but I hope preparing for fort assaults doesn't become an exercise in futility.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TooManyUzukis posted:

So how exactly does warchief respawning in higher difficulties work? I know Brutal is supposed to ensure they respawn quicker, but when preparing for the first fort assault both warchief slots were refilled the instant I finished killing the second. I didn't fast travel, didn't hang around, just beelined it to the assault mission and two new unknowns were waiting for me on the walls. Is this intended? That seems... really unfun. Brutal is otherwise really enjoyable, but I hope preparing for fort assaults doesn't become an exercise in futility.

Afaik, in Gravewalker (and Brutal) warchief slots are supposed to refill based on time passed but personally I have never seen it happen because as soon as I empty a warchief slot I always put one of my own guys in there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Everytime I see shadow wars in here I think it’s about Babylon 5

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

warchief respawns are Nemesis+ and happen with time. it takes a few time units in game or a few hours of real time so it's unlikely to happen if you're being focused about things. there was a bug a few versions ago where that code would still run in Minas Morgul, which resulted in untouchable shadowy warchief orcs. i have a bunch of those.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skooma512 posted:

Everytime I see shadow wars in here I think it’s about Babylon 5

Now I want a nemisis system space combat game

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There was also a glitch where warchiefs would be replaced instantly, but it doesn't happen every time. As far as I know they're working on it. There's also a glitch where the Vengeance dagger doesn't get a second trait, so I think there will probably be a bug fix patch or something coming.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

After beating the main game, I figured I'd dig into the DLCs. I can see why people are down on the Eltariel one. A few of the plot beats were kinda interesting, having Jennifer Hale's voice in my head telling me to kill orcs was neat, and the new follower orcs were all great. I was legit bummed when Flint died. But it wasn't very fun to play. The new Light mechanic wasn't as satisfying as Drain/Dominate, and was kinda clunky to actually use. Plus, I must've had some really bad luck because almost every Captain and Warchief I fought was immune to Light powers anyway, so welp.

Ultimately, Eltariel felt a lot weaker than Talion without feeling unique enough to be worth it. I was surprised to see a sequel set-up at the end of it all, though.

Desolation, though? I am really enjoying Desolation. It's funny that the DLC where they make a big deal about how weak and vulnerable you are without a Ring is also the one where it's super fun and easy to clown on orcs all day. I actually wish Talion could get some of Baranor's tricks. Harpooning mooks and pulling them into Graboid pits never gets old!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of bugs Bright Lord's Wrath skill augment literally does nothing right now which is a huge bummer because it's one of my favorite skill augments, especially on Gravewalker difficulty.
Hope they fix it soon.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I want a nemisis system space combat game

Basically the Battlestar Galactica episode "Scar" writ large. I'm so down.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Crowetron posted:

Desolation, though? I am really enjoying Desolation. It's funny that the DLC where they make a big deal about how weak and vulnerable you are without a Ring is also the one where it's super fun and easy to clown on orcs all day. I actually wish Talion could get some of Baranor's tricks. Harpooning mooks and pulling them into Graboid pits never gets old!

I wish they'd take a leaf from Desolation and let talion go back to stunning orcs with a hammer instead of ice storm and expand hammer wraith stun to replace flurry. Baranor's shield bash counters are meaty but hammer kills could be AssCreed Bros. bonecrushingly painful sounding.

Ice storm doesn't even let you shatter captains into bits, only regular goons.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

skooma512 posted:

Basically the Battlestar Galactica episode "Scar" writ large. I'm so down.

poo poo, you want to branch out, through the nemesis system at some space game with mechs. You could do the warframe nonsense of the pilots not actually being in the robots, so you get to bump into them over and over again while they chew you out for kicking their rear end. And you getting blown up means you just get another mech. Run a gauntlet of pimping out your warbot with stuff and there's your excuse for notable enemies being a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There is something extremely bugged with pitfights. I wish I could just fast forward through them because I just want to see who the game has decided will win. I really really hate just watching my guy stand there and do nothing which is what happens at least half the time. I think certain weapons just don't work against certain classes.

• Locked thread