Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

You should send one to The Greatest Generation Star Trek podcast, they'd get a kick out of it and have a semi-regular mailbag segment

The Greatest Generation
1037 NE 65th St #263
Seattle WA 98115

They're doing DS9 now, they record pretty far ahead so probably in the middle of season 3 right now.(currently airing the last few of season 2)

ok. if this means i end up getting hate mail or w/e ill be pissed tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Data's head is 500 years older than his body wtf

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Bender's head is over a thousand years older than his body.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Just finished reading 'The autobiography of Captain James T Kirk's, and it you're not minute details about everything from his birth, to the night before the launch of the Ent-B. It goes through the early career, five year mission, all the film's. Except one. STV. It's just him and bones sat watching a film called ' The Final Frontier's in a cinema on that Rome planet, that has turned them into pop culture icons.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FabioClone posted:

Data's head is 500 years older than his body wtf

Cojawfee posted:

Bender's head is over a thousand years older than his body.

And Marvin the Paranoid Android is 37 times older than the universe itself. What's the point?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

tarlibone posted:

And Marvin the Paranoid Android is 37 times older than the universe itself. What's the point?

We Apologize For The Inconvenience

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/jvancitters/status/1022309842948485120

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Trickjaw posted:

Just finished reading 'The autobiography of Captain James T Kirk's, and it you're not minute details about everything from his birth, to the night before the launch of the Ent-B. It goes through the early career, five year mission, all the film's. Except one. STV. It's just him and bones sat watching a film called ' The Final Frontier's in a cinema on that Rome planet, that has turned them into pop culture icons.

Yeah, I really enjoyed how meta that was, in that even James Kirk himself knew Star Trek V was not a very good film.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Prairie dog, dramatically zoomed upon

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They should do an Orville where it's Darmok except with pop culture references

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SF is supposed to depict things which are not real, in an effort to allegorically illustrate things which are.

Ready Player One exists.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ready Player One exists.

cursed image

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They should do an Orville where it's Darmok except with pop culture references

Those Aren’t Muskets did a great sketch like this about the Internet.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SF is supposed to depict things which are not real, in an effort to allegorically illustrate things which are.

Ready Player One exists.

It could be a cautionary tale

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Marijuana posted:

cursed image

...wwwwwwwwhy is it "ECTO88"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Because when that baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're going to secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.

Wait

You're going to heil some serious poo poo.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...wwwwwwwwhy is it "ECTO88"

If you GIS "ernest cline delorean," you'll see him posing next to it in full ghostbusters regalia.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh, I forgot about the "88mph = time travel" bit

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Internet 2018: For Once, It Probably Wasn't A Hitler Thing

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I feel like Herr Doktor Braun would probably scream MEIN FUHRER as he achieves time travel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I feel like Herr Doktor Braun would probably scream MEIN FUHRER as he achieves time travel.

Doc: "The Browns didn't come to Hill Valley until 1908. Then, they were the Von Brauns. My father changed our name during the first World War."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MAYOR GOLIDE WILSON (PROGRESS IS HIS MIDDLE NAME), I CAN WALK!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ScienceNews/status/1022609553341337600

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Doc, why are we going to April 20th 1488?"

"No reason."

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

I'm rewatching Space Seed right now. The McGivers stuff really hasn't aged well.

Also Kirk gives Khan a fuckin hurricanrana in Engineering and it's the dopest thing I've ever seen

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I anxiously await Richard Branson transforming into a horrifying salamander-like creature after successfully demonstrating humanity's first transwarp drive.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm rewatching Space Seed right now. The McGivers stuff really hasn't aged well.

Also Kirk gives Khan a fuckin hurricanrana in Engineering and it's the dopest thing I've ever seen

Most disappointing thing about the Star Trek Ticonderoga tour is they still have not yet added the giant wrench thing that Kirk pulls out of the wall to beat down Khan.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Low Desert Punk posted:

I feel like that’s true of almost all the women in the original Star Trek, though. I remember the conversation in Who Mourns for Adonais that went something like “She’s a great asset to the ship. It’s a shame that, like all women, she’ll one day find a man and leave the service.”

:wtc::females::biotruths:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Phylodox posted:

I feel like that’s true of almost all the women in the original Star Trek, though. I remember the conversation in Who Mourns for Adonais that went something like “She’s a great asset to the ship. It’s a shame that, like all women, she’ll one day find a man and leave the service.”

:wtc::females::biotruths:

The big one for that is "Turnabout Intruder," in which a crazy woman possesses Kirk because there's no other way for a woman like her to become a Starfleet captain.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Remember when Kirk literally told an alien woman that he was going to spank her

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
One of the first scenes in The Cage features the line "I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge"

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
if only ENT had accurately shown that gender equality didn't reach Earth until TNG, yet another of it and Discovery's attacks on Trek verisimilitude

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sorry Travis, but you know our society doesn't allow you to kiss white women. Perhaps some day there will be some sort of mind control that will force a white man to kiss a black woman and it will cause us to realize it's not a big deal. But such a thing is probably at least another hundred years in the future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TOS on women goes back and forth between being quite progressive and regressive as hell. Often in the same scene.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sorry Travis, but you know our society doesn't allow you to kiss white women. Perhaps some day there will be some sort of mind control that will force a white man to kiss a black woman and it will cause us to realize it's not a big deal. But such a thing is probably at least another hundred years in the future.

How unrealistic.

Travis would never be that involved in a story.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MikeJF posted:

TOS on women goes back and forth between being quite progressive and regressive as hell. Often in the same scene.

Yeah. One of the intended points of Who Mourns For Adonais is that if there’s a woman at your workplace, you should actually treat her like a colleague, respect any expertise she may have in her field, and not constantly try to jump down her pants or embarrass her by defending her honor or tipping your tam o shanter at her or whatever. Unfortunately the same point to modern audiences comes off as “those god drat women, they’ll sleep with anyone on the job. And they quit their jobs to get married too”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's regressive to a modern audience, but step back for a minute and realize they were showing women serving in the military alongside men, not as nurses or auxilliaries, being scientists and navigators and not typists or drivers, and on a naval vessel no less.

That must have seemed fantastical and unrealistic 20 years after WWII and during Vietnam. Turnabout Intruder sucks if you say "this is a horrible thing for a show which imagines a positive future to portray." On the other hand, as a show which holds up a lens to current society, it was highlighting a very real problem in 1969. Lester was nuts, but the fruatration a lot of women felt in that year that they essentially "could never be x because I am a woman" was real.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In all of four seasons of Enterprise I can think of exactly one Travis-centered episode, where the Enterprise helps defend his family's ship against raiders and then his family learns to accept him giving up the family business to join Starfleet.

It's a shame. Born and raised in space, very experienced human on a ship full of earthicans who have trained their whole life but don't have the practical experience... that's a good idea for a character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

In all of four seasons of Enterprise I can think of exactly one Travis-centered episode, where the Enterprise helps defend his family's ship against raiders and then his family learns to accept him giving up the family business to join Starfleet.

It's a shame. Born and raised in space, very experienced human on a ship full of earthicans who have trained their whole life but don't have the practical experience... that's a good idea for a character.

Seriously, he should have been able to take the lead on a lot of situations, or at least been able to offer a ton of practical advice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Black Driver should have been essentially the first officer, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They kept mentioning Travis's name, unlike an extra, as if he was going to be more than an extra at some point and then his one episode came up unexpectedly out of nowhere and it was good, and it left me scratching my head at how they were ignoring him when he'd been there the whole time