Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How's the thread?
This poll is closed.
Chill 11 10.48%
Comfy 16 15.24%
Relaxing 3 2.86%
Witty 0 0%
Delightful 1 0.95%
Cool 1 0.95%
Engaging 0 0%
:kazooieass: 73 69.52%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
so that last minigame made me look up rhythm heaven speedrun and any% is around an hour

:hmmyes: I think I might have found a potential project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I'm with Studio in that I remain completely unsold on the second stream thing and i think it's kind of transparently bad for the event

but idk they seem to know that and I think they're just willing to eat that to put on as many games as they can?

I am enjoying the event and I think it is definitely the best ESA so far and a pronounced step up from previous events but it still is trying to find it's own angle rather than being another GDQ.

I'm just not sure if being "another GDQ" is all that bad.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm with Studio in that I remain completely unsold on the second stream thing and i think it's kind of transparently bad for the event

but idk they seem to know that and I think they're just willing to eat that to put on as many games as they can?

I am enjoying the event and I think it is definitely the best ESA so far and a pronounced step up from previous events but it still is trying to find it's own angle rather than being another GDQ.

I'm just not sure if being "another GDQ" is all that bad.

Yeah I agree. As someone who just watches these events I dislike the second stream idea, especially at the times there are games on both streams I want to watch. Sure I can catch them on VOD but there are enough things I miss while asleep and for other reasons. It痴 even worse if I知 watching a run I知 enjoying but something I want to see more starts partway through on the other stream, I dislike changing what I知 watching mid-run.

I think splitting the viewership across two streams doesn稚 help with getting more donations either but I may be wrong.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Xenoblade Chronicles X with it's constant yelling and warning sounds (and bad music!) made me stressed out to the point of abandoning the game so for the sake of staying comfy I'm keeping away from stream 2 for a while.

Glad to see ESA getting all this attention though. :) I was nearby and stopped by the Växjö venue two years ago, only to witness the total tech breakdown that year. It was cool seeing Spike holding the fort though! Was that after the change in leadership and crew?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Stream 2 has been good for patching up occasional spots where I'm not interested in stream 1 but they could also set up things much better, make it more obvious on both streams what's going on on the other stream. Also lay out the schedule page so stream 1's schedule is lined up with stream 2's schedule rather than forcing people to scroll up and down a lot.

But yeah, rather ehhhh about the idea in general.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
2 isn't enough

Do 8 streams

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Studio posted:

There was a lot of concentrated effort from GDQ to try and get it to grow in terms of viewership, attendance, etc (I focused on Media Coverage when I was with GDQ 👀). Additionally there's two events instead of just one, and each event just helps future events grow. ESA never really garnered a ton of attention, and without a base to grow from, they've struggled to grow in both donations and viewership. They've also had leadership changes (for the better), but a lot of their marathon organization and planning was at 0 after the swap. That's pretty killer from the techside, which is a nightmare due to the extra complication of using old-rear end consoles for a lot of runs.

This marathon's production is okay, they're still kind of slow at setup and I'm still pretty sure the second stream doesn't need to exist, but they're gettin' there. If they get a decent push the final day, they could hit 100k. That's not a lot, but I believe it's way more than they've done in the past.

Esa is two events now too

But like, a couple weeks after gdqs instead of shifting 3 months and taking the fall/spring

Kinda funny that the year esa jumped up to 2 events gdq did 3

Though mwsf wins again because if we pull an extra life stream out of our asses then we'll have done 4 marathons in 2018

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 26, 2018

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I forgot about this amazing piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvDaqQii_M

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Good morning speedfriends! I only got five hours of sleep last night and have spent the last hour running around doing laundry and being yelled at by cats.

It is going to be a busy morning but then everyone else is going camping and I have the next two days off work and am just going to get as :fluffy: as humanly possible and sleep in until 06:30 or perhaps even 07:00 every day.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It's a lot easier to catch up with posts in this thread, which is a nice change of pace.

Yeah, I greatly appreciate that the ESA thread moves at a comprehensible pace. I peeked at the GDQ thread once or twice but it was intimidatingly fast.

Your Computer posted:

you know how there's an emote named confuoot? :confuoot: that made me think comfyoot and anyway long story short this is my brain on sleep deprivation

How is this thread so good and so comfy

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Games I Have Learned at ESA so far:

Pringles
Pingu Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin
Fallout (partially)
Rabi Ribi (poo poo out a bad coop run with someone in like 40 minutes idk it barely counts)

pingu was good because Linkboss set up a cool leaderboard for it but I had to wait until early morning anyway because there was some useless jackass hanging around heckling people who didn't immediately understand how to play.

Like of all the games to act like a fuckboi about can you pick a more worthwhile one

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pingu Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

there was some useless jackass hanging around heckling people who didn't immediately understand how to play.
Why can't people behave themselves properly in public?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm more concerned Punchy didn't know how to speedrun Pingu. It's horrifying millenials don't have such basic skills in this day and age.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

4-way Bastion race seems exciting but I don't have prior knowledge of the game so it's kinda hard to figure out what's going on.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

4-way Bastion race seems exciting but I don't have prior knowledge of the game so it's kinda hard to figure out what's going on.

when the screens are this small, it's a little hard to see what's going on regardless.

bastion has a loving great soundtrack tho

Tathris fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 26, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TeaJay posted:

You should play it, with all the indie bundles it's been in over the years it's practically free at this point.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

twice now

A different person just did it to me.

I do not like this "rude overfamilarity" thing that happens with me and I especially don't like the indignant replies when I tell them to get hosed.

apparently Pingu is an after hours game because then nobody is around christ

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Tathris posted:

when the screens are this small, it's a little hard to see what's going on regardless.

bastion has a loving great soundtrack tho

I woke up earlier than usual to try and catch it, but yeah those screens are tiny.

You're not kidding about the music, though - relistening presently. Zia's theme got stuck in my head for so long when I played it originally.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

parabolic posted:

I woke up earlier than usual to try and catch it, but yeah those screens are tiny.

You're not kidding about the music, though - relistening presently. Zia's theme got stuck in my head for so long when I played it originally.

at some point video game music became really, really good. i love it

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Tathris posted:

at some point video game music became really, really good. i love it

uh yeah,

that point is called 1993,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWSijvWxFI&hd=1 warning v loud

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I'm not sure what Stange could have done to deserve this

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Garrand posted:

I don't understand how making gifs works but I gave it a shot because I liked this scene

I like it, but if you're curious how I do mine, ScreentoGif

he cried out in the darkness, but the motion controls were unmoved

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Your Computer posted:

you know how there's an emote named confuoot? :confuoot: that made me think comfyoot and anyway long story short this is my brain on sleep deprivation

I love it

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Drive remake lookin' good

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

These Steven Universe tie in games are getting a bit too abstract for me.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

parabolic posted:

The Kid had never heard of an 'Edgehog Pompadour, but he figured 'why not?'

Well, he reckoned, no going back now. Better learn to live with it.

Gonna sleep and try to get up for Bastion

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Ashley claims another victim

also lol that Dan Salvato donated and called her out

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

"Shrek is just too strong"

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I did the thing. Again.

:comfyoot:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The Lobster posted:

I did the thing. Again.

:sanix::ali:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

One day I will learn to be good with money. Today is not that day. And isn't making people happy a good use of money anyway?

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

The Lobster posted:

I did the thing. Again.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The Lobster posted:

One day I will learn to be good with money. Today is not that day. And isn't making people happy a good use of money anyway?

:comfyoot::hf::sanix:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Hi speed friends, I知 at the train station waiting for the train to get back to my village!

Document checking and whatnot went well, apparently they don稚 need many people next week but hopefully I値l get in for the temp work :)

Sadly I値l miss most of Punchy's run live so I値l have to catch the VOD. Unless it gets pushed back by 30 minutes or so which would be awesome but selfish on my part.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

twice now

A different person just did it to me.

I do not like this "rude overfamilarity" thing that happens with me and I especially don't like the indignant replies when I tell them to get hosed.

apparently Pingu is an after hours game because then nobody is around christ

:whoptc: I'm sorry you have to deal with that poo poo. Some people need to just chill out and meditate on the virtues of :comfysamus: for a while.

RoboJoe posted:

Hi speed friends, I知 at the train station waiting for the train to get back to my village!

Document checking and whatnot went well, apparently they don稚 need many people next week but hopefully I値l get in for the temp work :)

Sadly I値l miss most of Punchy's run live so I値l have to catch the VOD. Unless it gets pushed back by 30 minutes or so which would be awesome but selfish on my part.

Good luck, speedfriend!

I don't know if I'm going to be able to catch Celeste live but I'm going to try, van-packing is going well.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

RoboJoe posted:

Good luck.

This next run is apparently race commentary over a pair of pre-recorded segmented runs, of a game that the runners had to route onsite. That's a really cool setup, I'm glad ESA is seeking out kinda weird but interesting not-quite-traditional stuff like this and Geoguesser. I am not super on board with the 2 streams stuff either but in the same vein I'm glad they're trying it out.

Gah! I gotta leave for work now but I really want to see this next one. I guess I'll catch it later.

• Locked thread