Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tote bags might be giving off more emissions in production but how many of them are personally wading out into the ocean and throttling a dolphin, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dave Concepcion posted:

yeah, about that...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/12/17337602/plastic-tote-bags-climate-change-litter-life-cycle-assessments-environment
"I felt really good about myself, until I saw a report published earlier this year by Denmark’s Ministry of Environment and Food that said that plastic bags are better for the environment than organic cotton tote bags. In fact, of all the shopping bags the study looked at — from paper to recycled plastic — cotton tote bags fared the worst: they need to be reused thousands of times to have the same environmental footprint as a lightweight plastic bag, according to the report."

https://www2.mst.dk/Udgiv/publications/2018/02/978-87-93614-73-4.pdf (the actual study from the homepage of the Danish environmental protection agency)

If you use a reusable bag made out of plastic/nylon it's better than disposables, but yeah don't bother with cotton. Also that study doesn't include marine impact like how much fish hormones are getting hosed up by microplastics

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there a better source for that? I'm asking because that particular Ministry has been marred by continuous scandals under the current government, mostly to do with manipulating numbers to let the agricultural industry gently caress the environment even harder.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i'm the fedora peeking over the laptop

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Inept posted:

If you use a reusable bag made out of plastic/nylon it's better than disposables, but yeah don't bother with cotton. Also that study doesn't include marine impact like how much fish hormones are getting hosed up by microplastics

If the bags don’t make their way to the ocean in significant numbers, which is the case in Scandinavia at least, that’s not a major concern.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
And I use my plastic shopping bags as garbage bags, if another type of bag was made mandatory, I’d have to buy an equal number of plastic garbage bags anyway

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

In case anyone doesn’t understand what this is, and I wish I didn’t, I’m pretty sure this is the guy who didn’t like doing WoW raids with a group and so got 40 accounts so that he could do it by himself. This was his setup.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dave Concepcion posted:

And I use my plastic shopping bags as garbage bags, if another type of bag was made mandatory, I’d have to buy an equal number of plastic garbage bags anyway

Here in Taiwan there’s a specific kind of plastic for garbage bags because there’s no space for a landfill so it all gets burned. They recently changed it so that the shopping bags you get from convenience stores and supermarkets are also made from that plastic (and cost about six cents now) so your supermarket bag is now also your garbage bag, which is nice and convenient.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
[quote="“JeremoudCorbynejad”" post="“486480399”"]
Tote bags might be giving off more emissions in production but how many of them are personally wading out into the ocean and throttling a dolphin, eh?
[/quote]

Those bags are mainly disposed of in the third world, it’s not a problem everywhere and making people in Copenhagen or wherever make the switch accomplishes nothing except some good feels

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Pirate Radar posted:

In case anyone doesn’t understand what this is, and I wish I didn’t, I’m pretty sure this is the guy who didn’t like doing WoW raids with a group and so got 40 accounts so that he could do it by himself. This was his setup.

Very close. 36 accounts, on 11 PCs (although there are more pictured?). Here's the quote from the manbeard himself:

quote:

A lot have asked me, why create so many? The main reason is to invade Stormwind and Ironforge when they reach top level. I’m sure the Alliance will put up a big fight when that happens. We’ll see how it goes. If they don’t make level 70 before Wrath of the Lich King, then it will be at level 80. That is my main goal. That will probably happen after I’ve got some PvP gear from the battlegrounds. I’m also planning to do some 25 and 10 man raid instances but that is secondary to my PvP goal. Of course I’ll be doing arenas too to build up PvP gear but I’m not expecting to do that great there because I’m way behind in gear right now. I need to get to level 70 first, then level 80 and by then I will probably have all green gear while most others have been doing the battlegrounds and arenas.

It costs me exactly $5711 in subscription costs per year with 36 accounts on the 6 month pay schedule. Not bad considering I’m looking at it like it’s a hobby and there are more expensive hobbies out there than World of Warcraft.

32 of my shaman are level 61. One shaman that I had before I started the 32 is at level 70 along with 8 other level 70 classes that I had. My mage, priest and druid are in the center of the circle of shaman in the pictures but they are kind of hard to see. I’ve also got some mages and priests that I’m currently working on that are level 23. Once they are at level 31.9, I will stop working on them, get 16 of them to level 60 with the recruit-a-friend bonus levels and work on the shaman again.

When Wrath of the Lich King is released, I plan to be at the store when it opens and will purchase 36 copies of it. With tax, it should be about $1500 for all of them. Then the shaman are on their way to level 80 along with the priest, druid and mage.

By the way, I have 9 level 80 shaman created on the Murmur PvP realm in the Wrath of the Lich King beta. I mainly tried it out to see how well my computers would work as they are. With the exception of one my desktop computers, I should be fine with the hardware that I have.

I use 3 addons in the game. CT_MapMod is used to give me locations for quests, etc. ClassIcons is another addon that I use to show the class of the target. It helps for PvP encounters. Then the last addon I use is SSPVP2 which is excellent for displaying timers and other things while in the battlegrounds.

For my keys to send to all instances of WoW on my 11 computers, I use Octopus 1.3.2. Maximizer in Octopus allows me to start up all WoW instances at the same time or any individual instance such as if a WoW instance has crashed. It also allows me to shutdown all of the computers at the same time.

Not shown to the right is another laptop which runs 3 copies that I just moved there. The keyboard on the right was moved to the top shelf there as I don’t really use that keyboard while playing. I have macros that set my main assist/cast/follow. Any of the eight screens to the front can be set to main assist/cast/follow as my mouse scrolls to them all using Octopus.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I’m just saying, unless they kill a very rich person, I can’t say that antifa is the company for me. What are their quarterlies on dead millionaires? Where’s the antifa brand pitchforks and clubs? It just doesn’t seem like it will be a profitable business.

Edit: can we put the wow guy on the guillotine as well?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Galaxy brain: buy more plastic poo poo to encourage oil to be turned into plastic instead of burned, then throw away that plastic poo poo so it winds up in landfills forever instead of as CO2 in the atmosphere, bam carbon sequestration that we already have infrastructure capable of doing.

All the currently discovered oil still in the ground (roughly four times more than is needed to throw global warming into "turbo-hyper hosed" mode) is getting used one way or another, it's already been sold. We can either use it to make one-time use plastic garbage or we can burn it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't think that's how oil works.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I excitedly await the Venusian atmosphere of the future. I will make trillions selling my underground habitats that I’ve been building in secret. Sure they’re just holes in the ground, but people will pay a premium for them.

One day our underground hell cities will hide in the darkness below and the capitalists will be exiled to the surface, where they will be crushed and incinerated in the infernal atmosphere above. This is the world God intended for us.

Because God is a loving rear end in a top hat and nobody should love him.

The Skeleton King has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Jul 26, 2018

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If we get a venusian atmosphere we'll all evolve into sexy babes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Skeleton King posted:

Because God is a loving rear end in a top hat and nobody should love him.

Two Jehovahs and their kid knocked on my door yesterday and I tried to convince them that God was a reprehensible piece of poo poo for various reasons. One of them was honestly pretty good at trying to shut down my arguments but the other was getting real salty before they decided I was unsalvagable.

I'd feel bad but 45 minutes wasting their time was 45 minutes of someone elses time saved so it's basically community service.

Anyway that's my story thanks for listening.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I don't have any numbers but I suspect the women who buy into the women being venusians pop culture biotruth psychology are not sexy space ladies.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

That’s 45 minutes of wasted productivity! You’re fired!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Skeleton King posted:

That’s 45 minutes of wasted productivity! You’re fired!

I work from home. They saved you idiots 45 minutes of my shitposting so really everyone was a winner.

Except the poor kid who has to spend their summer holidays listing to idiot adults arguing over theological minutiae.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elman posted:

I don't think that's how oil works.

The "four times as much already sold" bit I got from an article I read a couple years ago that was talking about futures markets and making the case that shame would be enough to reduce the value of the oil to the point where it causes corporations to leave the oil in the ground but lol at shame working on anything in hell year 2018. The "plastic as carbon sequestration" bit I got from a few different articles, some that make the case that modern developments in reprocessing technology would let us relatively easily convert plastic back into oil so we could just keep it in a closed loop, and another that made the case that we should just bury it to get it permanently out of the environment. It probably wouldn't actually work all that great but it's an interesting idea imo :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

Two Jehovahs and their kid knocked on my door yesterday and I tried to convince them that God was a reprehensible piece of poo poo for various reasons. One of them was honestly pretty good at trying to shut down my arguments but the other was getting real salty before they decided I was unsalvagable.

I'd feel bad but 45 minutes wasting their time was 45 minutes of someone elses time saved so it's basically community service.

Did you at least tip your fedora at them politely as they left

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

The "four times as much already sold" bit I got from an article I read a couple years ago that was talking about futures markets and making the case that shame would be enough to reduce the value of the oil to the point where it causes corporations to leave the oil in the ground but lol at shame working on anything in hell year 2018. The "plastic as carbon sequestration" bit I got from a few different articles, some that make the case that modern developments in reprocessing technology would let us relatively easily convert plastic back into oil so we could just keep it in a closed loop, and another that made the case that we should just bury it to get it permanently out of the environment. It probably wouldn't actually work all that great but it's an interesting idea imo :shrug:

I'm no expert but I thought oil is a really complex compound that is distilled into a bunch of different substances. The ones you use to make plastics aren't necessarily useful as a fuel.

Maybe you're right but I don't think it's as simple as "we're burning all this oil away when we could be saving it to make plastics".

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Jimmy Hats posted:

nice!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ate all the Oreos posted:

Did you at least tip your fedora at them politely as they left

Fair enough.

I don't see many male Jehovahs going door to door but they almost always wear a well tailored suit with a nice fedora type hat.

So in this case religious fundies 1, neckbeard atheists 0.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

U seem like a 'real gem'

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Post pics you tedious nerds.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Very close. 36 accounts, on 11 PCs (although there are more pictured?). Here's the quote from the manbeard himself:

I like how, without fail, every single moron who spends a lot of money on gaming in a stupid way will always justify it with "just a hobby" or "there are more expensive things" or "it's disposable income".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elman posted:

I'm no expert but I thought oil is a really complex compound that is distilled into a bunch of different substances. The ones you use to make plastics aren't necessarily useful as a fuel.

Maybe you're right but I don't think it's as simple as "we're burning all this oil away when we could be saving it to make plastics".

You can convert the end products of oil refining into each other, which is done to some extent already if demand for one thing is greater than demand for the other ones, but switching all that stuff over to making plastics (and then probably also building out much more capacity for it) probably couldn't be done super easily, yeah

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jimmy Hats posted:

U seem like a 'real gem'

Yeah it was pretty lovely thing to do to someone who just wanted to talk. I'm a terrible person.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Sep 29, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Stop talking about oil it's actually good now the companies are good and it's really good.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

Yeah it was pretty lovely thing to do to someone who just wanted to talk. I'm a terrible person.

I mean they prolly see it as a training thing so lthe argument part is fine. The 'hehe I sure wssted their time :smuggo:' attitude can prolly be dialed back just a tad.

God bless

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jimmy Hats posted:

I mean they prolly see it as a training thing so lthe argument part is fine. The 'hehe I sure wssted their time :smuggo:' attitude can prolly be dialed back just a tad.

God bless

Not really. Tying up them up at my door means they have less time to prey on vulnerable people who are at a low point in their lives. After seeing a friend with depression disappear down that route I feel it's a decent use of my time.

Not literally tying them up, just figuratively.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The suicide hotline number at the end of the article :chefkiss:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Stop talking about oil it's actually good now the companies are good and it's really good.

I mean look at how cute and fun coal is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Gy-kgL8yA

How can you hate those faces :3:

lmao forever at 'the workers keep their pay!' and 'when they looked for pollutants there was nearly none to see!'

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

jesus christ

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion posted:

yeah, about that...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/12/17337602/plastic-tote-bags-climate-change-litter-life-cycle-assessments-environment
"I felt really good about myself, until I saw a report published earlier this year by Denmark’s Ministry of Environment and Food that said that plastic bags are better for the environment than organic cotton tote bags. In fact, of all the shopping bags the study looked at — from paper to recycled plastic — cotton tote bags fared the worst: they need to be reused thousands of times to have the same environmental footprint as a lightweight plastic bag, according to the report."

https://www2.mst.dk/Udgiv/publications/2018/02/978-87-93614-73-4.pdf (the actual study from the homepage of the Danish environmental protection agency)

In which we discover that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Re the oil futures yes but the price of the future is greatly dependent on potential future profits ie if it becomes too expensive to drill or the price of oil tanks or solar just gets so cheap no one bothers with much oil (or some combo) then futures holders will just have a bunch of capital losses to declare on their taxes. It's not a certainty that all that oil will be extracted and used.

Anyway they are more of a financial instrument than actual purchase of a commodity - there's an old joke about some noob trader who ended up getting 10 tons of corn shipped to his doorstep and not knowing what to do (doesn't actually happen).

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Remember that dude from D&D's libertarian phase who was obsessed with thermal depolymerisation and prison stasis cubes?