Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Whoa...

A 41% increase in sales, 2 billion extra in profit, but slowing growth because apparently there isn't another planet full of people that Facebook can sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend that goes through an existential crisis everytime Facebook tanks because he has all his money sunk into that stock.

Then again he's a true believer who bought like 3 years ago and has never sold even during the hearings so I guess he might be GWM.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
WTF is going on with their stock, not 4 months ago it had dropped to 152 before climbing back up to 208, and now dropping again. Sounds like a correction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

WTF is going on with their stock, not 4 months ago it had dropped to 152 before climbing back up to 208, and now dropping again. Sounds like a correction.

Very disappointing guidance in the earnings report related to slowing of growth. It turns out they are running out of people to get on the platform to extract more advertiser dollars. Who could have possibly foreseen such an event?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

That was the Cambridge Analytica mess. Then people realized nothing matters™ and the stock shot up again. This is just the realization Facebook can't grow forever and isn't paying a dividend so well...time to die.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's more sophisticated than that.

Facebook is growing users, but only places that users aren't really worth anything - the subcontinent, Africa. User profitability is slightly up in the US (but less than expected), but average users monthly is flat (US user growth has stopped). Average users are flat in Europe too, and per user profitability there is likely to be down because of privacy regulations. More importantly, the leadership reiterates that they see no reason to pursue profitability in the short term, and that user concerns have led them to increase costs related to data security and user experience by 45% YOY.

This is the single largest single day market capitalization drop by total $ in stock market history.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
BWM: Paying for your online girlfriend's rape kits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/91sy4n/hospital_told_my_gf_she_was_raped_now_theyve_said/

Not really worth pasting the whole thing in here, but she got him believing that blood tests can confirm or deny rape. Probably belongs in both the scams thread and stupid people thread.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Jake Mustache posted:

BWM: Paying for your online girlfriend's rape kits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/91sy4n/hospital_told_my_gf_she_was_raped_now_theyve_said/

Not really worth pasting the whole thing in here, but she got him believing that blood tests can confirm or deny rape. Probably belongs in both the scams thread and stupid people thread.

please, check out this user's reddit comment history. you deserve it. don't skip to season 3 of this one, the slow burn setup is excellent

edit: not that it's particularly hilarious or anything, but you can see him (an adult) getting set up to shell out money to his girlfriend (a 16-year-old) a mile away

edit edit: there are some good takes here https://www.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice/comments/91xbbb/an_incredibly_fucked_up_heartbreaking_story_of/

Spokes fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 26, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's more sophisticated than that.

Facebook is growing users, but only places that users aren't really worth anything - the subcontinent, Africa. User profitability is slightly up in the US (but less than expected), but average users monthly is flat (US user growth has stopped). Average users are flat in Europe too, and per user profitability there is likely to be down because of privacy regulations. More importantly, the leadership reiterates that they see no reason to pursue profitability in the short term, and that user concerns have led them to increase costs related to data security and user experience by 45% YOY.

This is the single largest single day market capitalization drop by total $ in stock market history.

By "pursue profitability" do you mean revenue growth? Because the company is already monstrously profitable and has been for years. Their margins are completely insane.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

By "pursue profitability" do you mean revenue growth? Because the company is already monstrously profitable and has been for years. Their margins are completely insane.

Stock prices are hugely dependent on future earnings, not current ones. Which is one of the reasons why AT&T's stock price is like $30/share even though they are insanely profitable. They can't grow anymore unless they buy competitors, which is very expensive. So long as Facebook was on a rocket trajectory with cheap new users it's stock was rising. Now they're hitting saturation and at the same time have announced plans to enhance privacy and limit certain types of advertising.

The market they absolutely need to keep double digit growth is China. But their first foothold in China opened yesterday and was shut down the same day. So Facebook isn't going anywhere, but it's probably not going to be an 'internet stock' for much longer. They'll need to part with their profits and pay a dividend if they want to keep their share price higher.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

please, check out this user's reddit comment history. you deserve it. don't skip to season 3 of this one, the slow burn setup is excellent

edit: not that it's particularly hilarious or anything, but you can see him (an adult) getting set up to shell out money to his girlfriend (a 16-year-old) a mile away

edit edit: there are some good takes here https://www.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice/comments/91xbbb/an_incredibly_fucked_up_heartbreaking_story_of/

You don't even need to read any of the posts in entirety; the details spell themselves out in the thread titles:

(GA) Prosecuting for sexual abuse [F-16]
Last night. Alcohol, Xanax, abuse, anger
(GA) Anonymity for rape kits - following sexual abuse (F-16)
A monster turned our world upside down
We got the rape kit results back. He took my girlfriend's virginity. She doesn't want to pursue charges
Medical costs after rape/assault [GA]
I don't want my gf to be visiting/contacting her mom. She is upset about this
Hospital told my gf she was raped. Now they've said she needs another test as results were "inconclusive". We have to pay again. [GA]
My gf was told she had been raped. Today, we found out this was wrong. Now, I've been left with a lot of questions.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stock prices are hugely dependent on future earnings, not current ones. Which is one of the reasons why AT&T's stock price is like $30/share even though they are insanely profitable. They can't grow anymore unless they buy competitors, which is very expensive. So long as Facebook was on a rocket trajectory with cheap new users it's stock was rising. Now they're hitting saturation and at the same time have announced plans to enhance privacy and limit certain types of advertising.

The market they absolutely need to keep double digit growth is China. But their first foothold in China opened yesterday and was shut down the same day. So Facebook isn't going anywhere, but it's probably not going to be an 'internet stock' for much longer. They'll need to part with their profits and pay a dividend if they want to keep their share price higher.

So in short, revenue growth, not profitability.

For reference, Facebook's margin is like 40%, AT&T's is like 10%.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 26, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Vox Nihili posted:

OI from ongoing operations was down $2B quarter over quarter, and cost of revenue increased $300M. If the value of a share of Facebook is based on continued growth of OI (it is) then this quarter would be very bad for the shareholders (it was).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/how-to-live-on-350k-in-hawaii/

quote:

Q. How Do I Live on $350K in Hawaii?

I am a senior resident in my early 30s with a stay at home partner and three kids, $225K in student loans, planning to move to take a job in Hawaii with a 2-year partner track during which I will make $350K. In preparation for a new level of income, I have been trying to make a spending/allocation plan according to your advice and I am having a lot of difficulty with it. Currently, we rent, drive old clunker cars, and moonlight every chance I get with my total income of 100K per year. I have absolutely no retirement savings of any kind and quite frankly I’m struggling to make ends meet and that’s in a non-high cost of living area.

I am living like a resident, don’t splurge on anything, never go out, but I do send kids to a couple of extracurricular activities and take 1-2 inexpensive family vacations per year because I simply need them for my sanity. In Hawaii, we will rent, we need to upgrade our cars to something newer ( definitely not new and nothing fancy), we will start paying out loans and our 15K credit card debt and I will have 2 kids go to private school as Hawaii does not have any half-decent public schools. When I make my calculations I again have barely anything left to save for retirement. I look 7 years out and I just don’t see it ever getting better. I feel like I will never be financially comfortable, will never own a home, and will never have enough saved for retirement for myself and my husband no matter what I do. I just don’t understand where do people find the money to max out their 401K, IRA, and HSA every year let alone fund emergency fund or anything beyond that. What am I not getting? I realize that some physician families make even less than I do, but after taxes, school tuition, loan payouts, and rent in Hawaii I have nothing left. I just can’t seem to find the answer. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Oof, how am I going to get by on 5x the median household income in Hawaii!?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Vox Nihili posted:

So in short, revenue growth, not profitability.

For reference, Facebook's margin is like 40%, AT&T's is like 10%.

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/fb/financials?query=income-statement&data=quarterly

If revenue is flat and costs go up, profit goes down.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

canyoneer posted:

I like WCI's answer, at least.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Their number one piece of advice is to move to Texas instead lol

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
It doesn't help that with Facebook's monstrous profit they also refuse to issue a dividend. That only makes sense to investors if there is continued revenue and profit growth to justify hoarding cash. At this point where FB has leveled out on growth, they should definitely be paying out dividends.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raldikuk posted:

It doesn't help that with Facebook's monstrous profit they also refuse to issue a dividend. That only makes sense to investors if there is continued revenue and profit growth to justify hoarding cash. At this point where FB has leveled out on growth, they should definitely be paying out dividends.

Dividends are the stock equivalent of moving from a hip downtown apartment and buying a house in the suburbs. It signals that you're not a growth company anymore

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

brugroffil posted:

Their number one piece of advice is to move to Texas instead lol

and he closes out with:

quote:

I empathize with you. It’s harder than most people think to live on $350K

:rolleyes:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This one isn't too bad.....

How to save $20 a week

quote:

Looking for an app to start saving $20 a week. Ideally it would incur some sort of interest. I'm 20 with about $5k in savings, and am looking to expand my saving techniques.

....but seriously. Is this where we're at? You need an app to figure out how to save $20 a week?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Dividends are the stock equivalent of moving from a hip downtown apartment and buying a house in the suburbs. It signals that you're not a growth company anymore

Stock is also a relatively cheap way to get and keep talent. But that requires your stock to keep appreciating. It’s been a long time since someone got hot and bothered over GE stock options.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

canyoneer posted:

The responses are super satisfying, anyway. Doctors are special when it comes dealing with money, even relative to the average American.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stock is also a relatively cheap way to get and keep talent. But that requires your stock to keep appreciating.

Facebook does RSUs, not options, just like many tech companies these days.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of my coworkers told me that he put all of his retirement savings into a money market account the day after Trump was elected and they are still in there.

He has some kind of sunk cost fallacy mindset that since he took it out to avoid the incoming crash, that he should just wait until the next crash to put it back in.

I have no idea how much he has, but he's in his early 50's, so there was potentially a good chunk of money he missed out on.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

fact it's an rsu doesn't actually take away from that statement, it just means less leverage

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fact it's an rsu doesn't actually take away from that statement

It means that the stock doesn’t have to go up to be worth something to the employee. Flat-line stock pricing still gets people their comp.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

It means that the stock doesn’t have to go up to be worth something to the employee. Flat-line stock pricing still gets people their comp.

but it still means that peeps are getting 20% less equity comp in cash dollars, which is the only thing peeps care about

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

but it still means that peeps are getting 20% less equity comp in cash dollars, which is the only thing peeps care about

Yeah, it’s rolled back to...April pricing. Options require that the shares go up for the comp to be worth anything at all. RSUs are much more forgiving, because they strike at zero. I suspect there are quite a few execs who would have been excited about GE RSUs over the last year, even though the stock is down a bit.

Do you reason about RSUs and options the same way when evaluating a package? I certainly don’t.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZLbJOjTCg
BWM The lottery.
GWM The lawyer who represents the kid.

Porcelain equity y'all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NzKTA3T8Zo&t=136s

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 26, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I did not know that. My limited exposure to that world has been a combination of the two.

My co-worker at my last job still remembers the exact amount his Nortel stock options peaked at before they went on to be worth absolutely nothing and as he tells you that amount a small tear will go down his grizzled cheek.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it’s rolled back to...April pricing. Options require that the shares go up for the comp to be worth anything at all. RSUs are much more forgiving, because they strike at zero. I suspect there are quite a few execs who would have been excited about GE RSUs over the last year, even though the stock is down a bit.

Do you reason about RSUs and options the same way when evaluating a package? I certainly don’t.

i work almost exclusively in startupland

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

My co-worker at my last job still remembers the exact amount his Nortel stock options peaked at before they went on to be worth absolutely nothing and as he tells you that amount a small tear will go down his grizzled cheek.

Yeah, the 90s were a hell of a ride.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DEMAG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZLbJOjTCg
BWM The lottery.
GWM The lawyer who represents the kid.

Porcelain equity y'all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NzKTA3T8Zo&t=136s
That first video, my god.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hoodwinker posted:

That first video, my god.

I knew a girl who worked in a convenience store and one of the lottery customers would promise her every day "if I ever win big - I'm coming back for you!"

So...the customer hit big and the girl realized this since she had memorized his numbers. She was overjoyed! She would be getting a piece of that jackpot!

And then a funny thing happened - he stopped coming in the store. Like 2 months later she saw him somewhere around town and he pretended not to know who she was.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

canyoneer posted:

That's definitely true, and also is where FB is. They just need to accept it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EugeneJ posted:

I knew a girl who worked in a convenience store and one of the lottery customers would promise her every day "if I ever win big - I'm coming back for you!"

So...the customer hit big and the girl realized this since she had memorized his numbers. She was overjoyed! She would be getting a piece of that jackpot!

And then a funny thing happened - he stopped coming in the store. Like 2 months later she saw him somewhere around town and he pretended not to know who she was.

Girl should be mad at the store owner, if anyone. If your store sells a winner, you get a big payout.

Stores can waive this in exchange for a tiny sum when they get authorized to sell lotto, though.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Girl should be mad at the store owner, if anyone. If your store sells a winner, you get a big payout.

Stores can waive this in exchange for a tiny sum when they get authorized to sell lotto, though.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Maybe they get some free "winner sold here" marketing material, but there's no reason to give them cash.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlapActionJackson posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Maybe they get some free "winner sold here" marketing material, but there's no reason to give them cash.

It’s true in some places at least.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/quebec-grocery-store-celebrating-60-million-lottery-ticket-sale-1.3234438

quote:

As part of selling the winning lottery tickets, the store's owners receive one per cent of the jackpot as a prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sepherothic posted:

The guy in the OP is a Foreign Medical School graduate (FMG), with lovely boards scores to boot.

From the sound of it, he didn't get in to domestic US schools, went abroad to the East Austrian Academy of Asscratch and then unsurprisingly did poorly there.

Is $450k a normal debt load for medical school? It was my understanding that even the most costly medical schools should be closer to $250k, and in general foreign schools are cheaper

Motronic posted:

Very disappointing guidance in the earnings report related to slowing of growth. It turns out they are running out of people to get on the platform to extract more advertiser dollars. Who could have possibly foreseen such an event?

58% of the entire world adult population has a Facebook account, only 54% has internet access