Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I was ready to be all "the 'wine mom' cliche is the socially acceptable way for women to be alcoholics", but then her consumption was actually reasonable. How dare she. :mad:

e:

OP posted:

I'm not a big drinker and my family doesn't drink at all. Very religious. I can see now that my frame of reference is off. Thank you/

OP posted:

I haven't noticed it affecting her ability to function. Your comment is helpful because I'm realizing her family's culture always serves wine with dinner so maybe she just sees it as normal.
And he's reasonable too. What's he even doing posting on reddit?

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Haifisch posted:

I was ready to be all "the 'wine mom' cliche is the socially acceptable way for women to be alcoholics", but then her consumption was actually reasonable. How dare she. :mad:

e:

And he's reasonable too. What's he even doing posting on reddit?

Yeah, by those comments he comes off as less of a dunderhead. I can see how coming from a teetotaler background can skew ‘how much is too much/how often is too often?’

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Buzkashi posted:

Picture her squeezing out a really tough turd on the can

Shouldnt I be doing a thought exercise that makes them less attractive

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know it was a page ago but the most shocking thing is that there's still people playing Pokemon Go???

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I know it was a page ago but the most shocking thing is that there's still people playing Pokemon Go???

apparently it updated and they added trading* to the game so now its good again?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

IiRC its more profitable now than it was at launch.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Haifisch posted:

The dating scene operates under job interview rules, right?

Would a 4+ year long gap in dating history a red flag?

as someone who hasn't seriously dated anyone in over eight years, i hope not :smith:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Strap-in folks, we’re on the train... tho Boozetown.

I am [40M] fighting with wife [35F] over her wine consumption - is she just a "wine mom" or is it a problem?

My God, nursing two glasses of wine after nine days alone watching three young children, one of whom is teething?! Admitting to looking forward to a couple glasses of wine once her husband got home?! A single mimosa on a play date?!

From the title, I was expecting it to be like, one of those moms that would get so cranked-out hammered that she missed her kid’s kindergarten graduation or something.

yeah, that lady controls her alcohol intake better than most of america. my mom used to drink a whole box of franzia chardonnay and pass out on the couch about an hour after my brother and I got home from school. she would then wake up and yell at us for having the TV volume too loud while playing playstation (before she threw it down the stairs one day).

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Me (28M) having regrets about Wife (28F). Need advice on if this is normal

quote:

TL;DR I don't know if I love my Wife anymore and am not sure if this type of regret is normal

First off I feel like a horrible person but I'm not quite sure If i love or even like my wife anymore. I have been dating her since I was 16 and feel like we have been together because I was to afraid to call it off with her, I kinda married her to make it easier on her because I was in the military for 6 years and wanted her to have insurance.

We have nothing in common, she likes to watch movies and I just want to play video games and workout. Recently I have tried to spend time with her but it just makes me so unhappy, ive tried expensive vacations going to the movies, etc and nothing works. I have also tried just talking to her. We sleep in separate bedrooms (always have) and i even tried sleeping together and it was awful.

I kinda thought this was the norm but recently i got to visit my buddy and I saw how he and his wife acted and was blown away. He actually shares interested with her and they play video games together that they both are actually enjoying and not just doing it as a forced activity. This made me terribly unhappy as that is literally kinda what I thought didn't exist (I am very happy for them thou). I feel like I always wanted a partner I can play games with and actually share interests.

I don't know how to approach this situation and just don't want to leave me wife. I am fairly wealthy (200kish yr) due to my career field and don't want to leave my wife in a bad situation but at the same time i feel just awful now. She works now but really doesnt have to support herself. Additionally this is not the main factor but she has getting very heavy recently, I would never consider this as a reason to leave her it just makes me think she doesn't care as I keep myself in fantastic shape.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this experience because I feel like a bad person for even having these thoughts. I just don't want to be 60 and wonder what if. I know some regret is normal but is this normal.

Thank you

quote:

She snores really loud and I had a weird schedule. Also i play video games till like 2am.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I do think it's pretty ownage when you marry someone and they promptly get fat and bored and sit around waiting for the end, it's just great

well here you go, enjoy the rest of your life :hellyeah:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My BF [31M] made me [F27] feel like a lesser person for wanting to watch a lesbian Netflix movie. Says "that's all you think about, are you stupid? That movie won't add anything to your life."

quote:

Okay, so we've been together for 6 years. Prior to meeting him, he knew I only dated women. We got passed that and our friendship turned into something more. Long story short we are dating for 6 years. I'm open to everybody that I have always liked women and he never cared because we're still together. In the beginning, I wasn't sure I wanted to be with him because of course he is a man and that's not what I wanted for my life. But as the years went by he showed me to be a good person and our relationship thrived.

We just subscribed to Netflix a couple of months ago and have watched a few movies together. He usually lets me pick what to watch and I usually gravitate toward food or nature documentaries, which he watches but isn't too fond of. Last week we watched a thriller one that was his pick. All good.

Then my lesbian friend came over to my house and my BF was there and we picked a lesbian movie to watch. It's romance but there was a really good life lesson in that movie which was about accepting that what makes people happy are different to what may make someone else happy.

Three days after that we sat down and watched about 6 trailers on action/thriller but didn't like any of them. So I was getting tired of picking something and went down to the lesbian section. I read some of the synopsis — they did not catch my attention until one did and I said, "let's watch this one!"

He started yelling, saying that's all I think about and there is never anything else I want to watch aside from lesbian movies and food documentaries (which is not true, I was really trying to pick a thriller one before going to that section). He said I'm fcking alienated and extremist, asked me if I was stupid and if I can think of anything other than that. Told me to open my horizons otherwise I will go down this dark path.

He also said this affects our relationship. And that's when I was like okay, that's a valid point only if it was true, but the reality is that not once in my life he has told me it was a problem and not once we had fights over this. I love him wholeheartedly and watching lesbian movies (which I did 3 times after we got Netflix) never once made me a different person.

He asked me why I liked watching that bullsht* and I said "it's because I can relate", just like when he sees a movie with an Asian-American engineer, he can relate to them too because he is Asian-American and an engineer.

I felt that he made me feel terrible for enjoying lesbian movies, but I don't make him feel bad for watching thriller/action movies or slow-mo videos on youtube, you know what I mean? It's just a taste I have that is different from his. Does that mean it's wrong?

Am I pushing this too far? Should I really think about not watching lesbian movies? They entertain me and many times teach me a great life lesson. What does his thriller movie add to his life? I don't ask nor demand that each movie/video he watches "adds something to his life."

Any comments appreciated.

TL;DR; : Long story short, I'm bisexual and I enjoy watching lesbian movies because I can relate. The same way my BF watches asian american movies and can relate because he is asian american. I'm not hurting the relationship, I just like to watch what I like, is that a problem?.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Haifisch posted:

My BF [31M] made me [F27] feel like a lesser person for wanting to watch a lesbian Netflix movie. Says "that's all you think about, are you stupid? That movie won't add anything to your life."

:sever: He's an insecure twat.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

The dating scene operates under job interview rules, right?

Would a 4+ year long gap in dating history a red flag?

Yes, just tell them the gap is because of medical reasons and they're not legally allowed to ask further questions.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
all the lesbians I know are extremely cliquish, and seem to focus 90% of their attention on their lesbianism. imagine being around someone that's a fanatic about their sexuality, like every minute of the day is a crossfit wod on being a gay/hetero/furry. some of them can hold it together for a brief period before busting out local lesbian bar politics or whatever the gently caress. poo poo gets old. I doubt this woman is just occasionally whipping out the lesbian side and probably doesnt realize how obnoxious shes being.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

all the lesbians I know are extremely cliquish, and seem to focus 90% of their attention on their lesbianism. imagine being around someone that's a fanatic about their sexuality, like every minute of the day is a crossfit wod on being a gay/hetero/furry. some of them can hold it together for a brief period before busting out local lesbian bar politics or whatever the gently caress. poo poo gets old. I doubt this woman is just occasionally whipping out the lesbian side and probably doesnt realize how obnoxious shes being.

:chloe:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

The /r/relationships posts are coming from inside the thread.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
if you have long periods of your life without a romantic relationship, I guess that doesn't mean there's something wrong with you unless you regret it. I guess youd have to wonder what the gently caress will really change in the future, but reality is the quality of the dating pool declines rapidly as you age, and quality women still available are not patient with stupid newbies that havent figured themselves out when it comes to relationships. you will probably die alone.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I think if you look at it more generally, people that have a single issue they're super super passionate about can be a mismatch with others that don't share that passion

Like if your political buddy just can't stop talking about politics every single time you hang out, it can get real real old if you don't care about that thing

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Help, my bisexual girlfriend and her lesbian friend want me to watch movies where girls make out and I am a huge nerd

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Women keep telling you about their lesbianism so you'll zip your pants back up and go somewhere else.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
we were good as married in my mind but married in my minds no good. oh pink triangle on her sleeve, let me know the truth, let me know the truth

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think if you look at it more generally, people that have a single issue they're super super passionate about can be a mismatch with others that don't share that passion

Like if your political buddy just can't stop talking about politics every single time you hang out, it can get real real old if you don't care about that thing

Simple: Speak up and state your thoughts like an adult instead of yelling at your partner. If he's being always allowing her to make choices on what to watch and then is getting pissy about what she picks, it's his own drat fault.

Also to call her "alienated and extremist", he sounds like some douche who thought he cured her bisexuality with his dick.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed the extremely detailed user analytics portion of the lesbian post in which she documents every step she takes when she utilizes the Netflix platform.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Kuros posted:

Simple: Speak up and state your thoughts like an adult instead of yelling at your partner. If he's being always allowing her to make choices on what to watch and then is getting pissy about what she picks, it's his own drat fault.

Also to call her "alienated and extremist", he sounds like some douche who thought he cured her bisexuality with his dick.

The dude in the reddit story is from an foreign background which may make him even less receptive to her stuff so yeah that's not really a great example of constructive discourse.

When people are passionate about something it's going to feature prominently in their life, so it makes sense to think about compatibility there too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

cumshitter posted:

I enjoyed the extremely detailed user analytics portion of the lesbian post in which she documents every step she takes when she utilizes the Netflix platform.
She has to clarify she mostly watches other movies, was looking for another genre first, and has only watched literally 3 lesbian movies ever, because otherwise she'll get crazy people accusing her of doing nothing but watching lesbian movies and talking about lesbianism as her life's passion absolutely 24/7

oh wait

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anne Whateley posted:

She has to clarify she mostly watches other movies, was looking for another genre first, and has only watched literally 3 lesbian movies ever, because otherwise she'll get crazy people accusing her of doing nothing but watching lesbian movies and talking about lesbianism as her life's passion absolutely 24/7

oh wait

oh yeah her story checks out

Sent from my iPhone while cruising down 95 in my Subaru while blasting Tegan and Sara

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

La Brea Carpet posted:

Haifisch posted:

Never date gamers or engineers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Media consumption habits aren't "interests." This is just this dude thinking he could do better because he's in shape and rich and working backward from there.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

Media consumption habits aren't "interests."

you dont know women at all then. like 75% of american women go into a coma when the bachelor(ette) comes on and they're all furiously texting eachother and checking twitter for reactions.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

TheScott2K posted:

Media consumption habits aren't "interests." This is just this dude thinking he could do better because he's in shape and rich and working backward from there.

Eh, any way you spend your time is an interest, even if it’s not a hobby IMO. Shared interests do help when the relationship is old and comfortable and you both have an easy excuse to hang out without going out on a date. That being said, you can always broaden your horizons and enrich each other’s life by sharing interests that you both care about. That is a MUCH stronger foundation than dating someone based on the same shallow pop culture likes and then being shocked when you found out you’re incompatible outside of that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

that's as close to an interest as most people get. OFC, you really shouldn't need to be into exactly the same things to get along with your spouse, but nothing in that post suggests either of them have anything else going for them, either.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sorry but I can't date a woman who doesn't agree that New Vegas is the best of the modern Fallout games!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

you dont know women at all then. like 75% of american women go into a coma when the bachelor(ette) comes on and they're all furiously texting eachother and checking twitter for reactions.
I think you read more than "some" incel posts, dude

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

If you're really into camping I can see being with someone that also enjoys that so you can do it together

If you're really into music you can sometimes find a partner that is also into music and then you can write or listen to music together

If you're making really good cash and enjoy playing videogames and would like a partner that also enjoys that part of your life, seems reasonable to me :shrug:

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you read more than "some" incel posts, dude

congratulations on being the other 25%. still a fan of your glorious rear end by the way.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
/r/relationships: hot women scare the living crap out of me due to some weird powers

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you're really into camping I can see being with someone that also enjoys that so you can do it together

If you're really into music you can sometimes find a partner that is also into music and then you can write or listen to music together

If you're making really good cash and enjoy playing videogames and would like a partner that also enjoys that part of your life, seems reasonable to me :shrug:

that can be nice, or you can just play your music or your games on your own and then do other stuff together and it's alright, it's okay to not share literally every thing about your life. Or you can try to start a band together and have it all end in tears when it turns out she's into witchhouse and you're into grindcore and therefore totally incompatible.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
yeah I dont understand all these internet personalities that can only handle a partner that share their exact interests. my wife and I have like 0 hobbies in common, neither of us even really have the physical capability or talent to do what the other one excels at (she's an artist for example, I can't draw a stick figure). we still do a ton of everyday things together as a couple.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Matching values are so much more important than matching interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the camping one maybe a little different since that's probably reflective of a bunch of fundamental differences in your lifestyles and priorities, if one of you is outdoorsy and the other wants to sit inside and watch netflix all day that sounds fuckin miserable