Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I don't even need an update. I've only played it 500 hours, so I guess I need to play a lot more before I feel like I'm missing something :). There's always another .08 percent drop to find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ambaire posted:

I read through some of the responses and the entitlement of some of those people is revolting. "When is this update coming out? Why haven't you updated it yet? blarglarbl"

The Terraria devs had no obligation to continue to update the game after the 1.0 release .. over 7 years ago, and the fact they still are is amazing.

It's just that scenario playing out on the mobile players versus everyone else:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/13679918/ posted:

Many highly cooperative nonhuman species seem guided by a set of expectations about the outcome of cooperation and the division of resources. Here we demonstrate that a nonhuman primate, the brown capuchin monkey (Cebus apella), responds negatively to unequal reward distribution in exchanges with a human experimenter. Monkeys refused to participate if they witnessed a conspecific obtain a more attractive reward for equal effort, an effect amplified if the partner received such a reward without any effort at all. These reactions support an early evolutionary origin of inequity aversion.

There's no technical reason why mobile has to be several version updates behind what everyone else gets. People can see how it's therefore kind of an arbitrary choice to regularly give everyone else awesome free gifts (new features) except for the folks who bought and got used to mobile. There was never a way for mobile players to know the "pay" was going to be so unequal for so long, so feeling frustrated like the selfish monkeys in that experiment they kept sticking it out every day assuming the trend would correct itself and then they unexpectedly got to see the same reward pattern repeat itself for over two years.

Keep in mind even small simple "hot fix" patches have not been released at all to fix the frequent crash and data loss issues I described last page; you would at least expect a follow up to correct a defect in the product would be obligatory, even if new features are not.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 19, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Am I a bad person if I believe that Terraria on PC is the only way to play the game and any other platform is infinitely inferior?

e. slight derail, but I've been on a skyrim binge lately (on PC with kbm of course) and I watched a 'guide' video with someone who was obviously using a controller and the difference is just crazy. How could anyone think a loving thumbstick could ever get similar accuracy/precision compared to a gaming mouse?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 19, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
They don't think that. They're probably more used to a controller and enjoy playing the game that way. A controller is really useful for some games though, like Rocket League, which really doesn't require the accuracy of a mouse.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

You do need doors, it's just that platforms count as doors and walls at the same time.

I know it's a bit crass but I really want to tell you to get Terraria on PC. It's a much better experience, and even an older/less powerful computer can run it well. But if you're having fun on mobile then don't worry about it I guess.
Yeah, a closed box with some platforms in the floor counts as having a "Door" for purposes of a room. I didn't realize you could just make the wall out of it and get the same effect, though. :popeye:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ambaire posted:

I read through some of the responses and the entitlement of some of those people is revolting. "When is this update coming out? Why haven't you updated it yet? blarglarbl"

The Terraria devs had no obligation to continue to update the game after the 1.0 release .. over 7 years ago, and the fact they still are is amazing.

It's the Internet, what do you expect.

It has been a while since 1.3.6 was first announced, so people, who have been spoiled by the frequent updates from earlier years are getting impatient. I think the relevant saying here is "this is why we can't have nice things".
https://twitter.com/Yoraiz0r/status/857242996185722882

Dumb Lowtax posted:

There's no technical reason why mobile has to be several version updates behind what everyone else gets.

Well yes there is.

First, the mobile versions are a port made by a different studio. So they'll always get to play catch-up with the computer version.

Secondly, mobile hardware and interface is more limited than on a computer, so it's not just a question of copy-pasting code and hitting compile, you have to make sure performances remain acceptable and you have to rework the interface whenever new actions are introduced because you can't just adopt the interface changes from the computer version.

Thirdly, the team doing the mobile version was changed some time ago, and the new team decided to restart the port from scratch because the way the previous mobile version evolved was becoming increasingly at odd with the way the computer version evolved.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I've been playing again lately with Thorium mod. It adds a bunch of new materials, items, weapons, bosses, and other things but it feels like the meat 'n potatoes of the game is still there. I'm sure there are some wacky ways to break progression, but I went in mostly blind except for knowledge of the vanilla Terraria stuff.

I stopped playing a couple of years ago after making it to hardmode in an expert world, I beat a few of the bosses and remember burning out around Plantera when the difficulty really spiked.

Anyway, is expert mode even doable solo?? I'm about to flip the switch to hardmode again, but I remember it feeling borderline impossible.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Terraria has always had an awful "community" but it seems like the devs shrug it off pretty well. I am impressed with how much support the game has received and I'm glad they just continue to have fun with the game. Probably helps that they've sold a bajillion copies.

Pyrus Malus posted:

Anyway, is expert mode even doable solo?? I'm about to flip the switch to hardmode again, but I remember it feeling borderline impossible.

You can solo expert but the bosses generally require a lot more preparation like a full arena and a ton of buff potions. I'm playing expert right now and the difficulty spike of expert hardmode enemies isn't as dramatic as it is for things pre-WoF.

The mechanical bosses are a lot harder, especially The Destroyer but Plantera and the Golem aren't as dramatic.

The Daedalus Stormbow and holy arrows vs. The Destroyer makes a huge difference and the Megashark with crystal bullets turned out to be the best way to handle The Twins and Prime.

bij fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 19, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pyrus Malus posted:

I've been playing again lately with Thorium mod. It adds a bunch of new materials, items, weapons, bosses, and other things but it feels like the meat 'n potatoes of the game is still there. I'm sure there are some wacky ways to break progression, but I went in mostly blind except for knowledge of the vanilla Terraria stuff.

I stopped playing a couple of years ago after making it to hardmode in an expert world, I beat a few of the bosses and remember burning out around Plantera when the difficulty really spiked.

Expert mode is fine solo though you will need to know what you're doing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Expert mode is fine solo though you will need to know what you're doing.
Which means doing it with a major mod you're not already familiar with might be a bad idea.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Zereth posted:

Which means doing it with a major mod you're not already familiar with might be a bad idea.

It can trivialize things. I believe it's Thorium mod that lets you craft rings (pre any boss) that are +4 to a specific type of damage, or +4 to everything, including crit and damage reduction. Using a ranged+all ring is +8 damage, which is added after everything else. The minishark becomes something completely different with that.

Calamity mod adds it's own levels of broken early things as well. As long as you don't turn on Revengece mode.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It's been a while since I played with it but my experience was that Thorium makes most of the core content easier. At the very least, expert mode is going to shower you with gold and that'll make all the QoL vendors in the mod extra helpful.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm constantly gobsmacked by how much the devs have put and intend to put into the game, and the fact that Red isn't a money-grubbing twat like, say, Notch. I will confess, though, that despite owning Terraria on a number of platforms, I never want to play it on anything but the PC due to the simple fact that any other version feels inferior due to being, for all practical purposes, stuck in the past.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm constantly gobsmacked by how much the devs have put and intend to put into the game, and the fact that Red isn't a money-grubbing twat like, say, Notch. I will confess, though, that despite owning Terraria on a number of platforms, I never want to play it on anything but the PC due to the simple fact that any other version feels inferior due to being, for all practical purposes, stuck in the past.

"Stuck in the past" is exactly the point, mobile players don't see why their platform necessarily has to be the one stuck in the past. Due to how they experienced Terraria, they think of it as a phone game and it indeed works well as one. The devs could have targeted Mobile as their main platform from the beginning, rendering most of the reasons given above (many of which were logistical, not technical) for why it has to be behind moot.

It is both true that these devs are the single most patient, dedicated, and quality conscious little group in the entire industry, and that the mobile community also has legitimate frustration (such as no hotfixes for two years) and have grown disappointed witnessing their fellow lab monkeys getting fed amazing treats for no effort during all that time. There's only so much that can be done differently now though.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 19, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm start a new co-op map with my girlfriend and we're gonna separately try to race to endgame stuff using the tricks from that blind speedrun... now that would be cool to watch on youtube, blind professional races between players stuck sharing the same world and resources. Maybe stealing from the other's chests isn't allowed and the end goal is to just progress to endgame gear first.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 19, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dumb Lowtax posted:

"Stuck in the past" is exactly the point, mobile players don't see why their platform necessarily has to be the one stuck in the past. Due to how they experienced Terraria, they think of it as a phone game and it indeed works well as one. The devs could have targeted Mobile as their main platform from the beginning, rendering most of the reasons given above (many of which were logistical, not technical) for why it has to be behind moot.

It is both true that these devs are the single most patient, dedicated, and quality conscious little group in the entire industry, and that the mobile community also has legitimate frustration (such as no hotfixes for two years) and have grown disappointed witnessing their fellow lab monkeys getting fed amazing treats for no effort during all that time. There's only so much that can be done differently now though.

Then I must not understand something. Terraria was originally a PC game; that I know because I bought it the week it released and, like Absolutely Everyone Else, had no idea it would be this popular or become this big for an initial $10 investment. Here is where I must be in error: As I understand it, every non-PC port of the game was outsourced to another company who has, in the minds of non-PC players, dropped the ball in terms of staying current. I agree and don't understand why they have not been able to or have not chosen to keep TerrariaNotPC on equal footing content-wise with TerrariaPC, but the game was originally a PC game and stayed that way for years before other platforms were developed. The devs did originally make it for PC with presumably no idea it would get over so well, and the PC version being their first priority and love should be understandable at the very least. Having the non-PC version of the fanbase expecting them to shift first priority for any updates to mobile/console seems... presumptuous to me. I must be missing something.

I also don't know how anyone could think that controls on console or mobile could compare to the smoothness of mouse and keyboard, but that's another discussion.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Nah, you're not missing anything or misunderstanding, it's us Mobile people and specifically the angry people on twitter who are. They're not informed about the game's development origins or outsourcing, they're like low-information voters who probably found Terraria Mobile by word of mouth and are just responding to what they see (that their phone app doesn't get all the cool treats the other monkeys keep getting rewarded with).

edit: A better poster than me could have made that metaphor connect the first time without all the further explanation (See also: Every single post in my giant post history having the "edited" mark of shame due to needing clarification)

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 20, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
People are assholes. Also a lot of gamers are literal or figurative children, especially ones who only have phones to play on. Either way, you're going to see a lot of, "but why aren't you making ME happy?!"

Not saying they're all like that, obviously. Dumb Lowtax seems cool.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
e: Next post got sniped, moved to the edit

Anyway has anyone else used speedrunning tactics in co-op play to try to race their partner because that sounds fun

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 20, 2018

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Are there any 3rd party tools that allow you to export a worldmap and check it out for specific things? I'm not sure if I cleaned all the crimson/hallow out of my entrenched area and look for simple ways to help with that. I've sprayed through two stacks of green solution but it's still hard to tell if I got everything. Like there is this red moss stuff that grows on stone sometimes and I find it tricky to tell that apart from crimson

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Are there any 3rd party tools that allow you to export a worldmap and check it out for specific things? I'm not sure if I cleaned all the crimson/hallow out of my entrenched area and look for simple ways to help with that. I've sprayed through two stacks of green solution but it's still hard to tell if I got everything. Like there is this red moss stuff that grows on stone sometimes and I find it tricky to tell that apart from crimson

Google terraria map editor, there's quite a few out there and idk what's current.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I like TerraMap

Bonus 1.3.6 stuff:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Potential BFF posted:

I like TerraMap

Bonus 1.3.6 stuff:

This is like, what, 40 moonlords worth of stuff?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

This is like, what, 40 moonlords worth of stuff?

Yea, if the crafting materials are in line with the cost of other furniture sets that's a lot of luminite and Vortex sparklies. They're apparently making furniture sets for Solar, Nebula, and Stardust fragments as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just hope 1.3.6 doesn't break modding too much.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So after playing a bunch I'm now post golem and trying my hand at the endgame invasion content. I fought the pumpkin moon twice, making it to 10 the first time and 11 on the second. I didn't die but the time ran out because killing the pumpkings takes a little too long. I don't even care about the mourning woods because my trap arena below kills them slowly while I deal with the kings. Currently I'm using a sniper rifle with cursed bullets for them but there's probably a better way. I also tried the martian invasion and holy poo poo does the saucer kick my rear end. I managed to kill one during the event but yeah all the other ones killed me so eventually I cheesed it by killing small dudes to make my torment end.

So I guess my question is what weapons/gear I should hunt for to help out with the pumpkings and by extend the saucers though I'm probably not going to deal with the martians again before I finished the pumpkin moon once.

Here's my main weapon setup for invasions

Terra blade/megashark+sniper rifle with cursed bullets/golden shower/dart rifle with crystal darts/inferno fork/sphere staff/queen spider staff

I also have the rainbow gun and the nimbus staff but find it too much of a hassle to maintan that after pumpkings hunt my butt.

And here's my gear

Shroomite armor for bullets/shield of cthulhu/worm scarf/pygmy necklace/frozen wings/frostspark boots

I probably should equip some damage boosts but the only thing I can switch comfortably is the necklace. I could maybe learn to play without double jump and ditch the boots but the mobility saved me so often that I kinda don't want to. Also a+ rating on the shield because drat that dash is king. Probably couldn't survive at all without it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You're safe from the saucer if you surround yourself with blocks. None of its attacks go through blocks IIRC. Then you can keep a small hole to attack it with a yoyo or something.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What kind of trap do you have that kills the Mourning Woods? I tried standing on rain clouds to hurt them underneath (?) but their long-range volleys still pass through it and do a lot of damage if I don't constantly dodge

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

You're safe from the saucer if you surround yourself with blocks. None of its attacks go through blocks IIRC. Then you can keep a small hole to attack it with a yoyo or something.
Yeah I noticed that the beam gets blocked but had no real setup in my arena to exploit that. Probably best to make a teleporter so that I can zip into the box once a saucer comes at me

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What kind of trap do you have that kills the Mourning Woods? I tried standing on rain clouds to hurt them underneath (?) but their long-range volleys still pass through it and do a lot of damage if I don't constantly dodge
Well I guess it's more honest to say that it "almost" kills them. I still have to finish them most of the time while I zip around with a pumpking in persuit. But anyway here's the thing I built after looking at guides and stuff. It's probably not very efficient and I should have built it over to the left :doh:

One lever opens the floor into lava and the other activates the different temple traps. The darts are staggered 3/2 with a 1 and 3 second timer and the spears are also hooked to the 3 second timer. And the spike balls are wired to a seperate 5 second timer. The whole mess usually deals enough chip damage that I can focus the trees down while I'm going by. You're right about their spray though and that had me thinking about making the traps solid again. But it also would make it harder to target them from above so I decided against it. Their attack isn't that much of a problem if you can double jump btw and with some safety nets around you can just tank it sometimes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey folks, as I've noted before I'm bad at this game :). I'm doing another playthrough on normal and Plantera has defeated me three times now. I've found another Planetera but I thought I'd get a Lifeforce potion this time. That potion needs a prismite fish, but I don't seem to have much choice in where to fish for it.

That's the largest body of water in Hallow that I've found but I either get nothing or tin cans etc.

Any suggestions? I'm doing the Chlorophyte armor/uzi with endless musketballs and I have had large arenas.

Thanks for any help. Also are there any simple mods that will tell you the lake size and/or where exactly you are as far as a biome goes?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Lorini posted:

That's the largest body of water in Hallow that I've found but I either get nothing or tin cans etc.

Any suggestions?

Short of rigging up a pump system? Buckets of water. Like, a whole bunch of them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hyedum posted:

Short of rigging up a pump system? Buckets of water. Like, a whole bunch of them.

Yeah I forget about buckets. Will google terraria pump system, thanks.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Add more water, pools under a certain size have a massively reduced chance of good catches.

Edit: beaten as I typed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lorini posted:

Hey folks, as I've noted before I'm bad at this game :). I'm doing another playthrough on normal and Plantera has defeated me three times now. I've found another Planetera but I thought I'd get a Lifeforce potion this time. That potion needs a prismite fish, but I don't seem to have much choice in where to fish for it.

You need to max your fishing power if you can only get junk.
https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Fishing

The lake needs to have at least 300 tiles of water that can reach the surface. If needed, dig a bit more and bring more water, with a bunch of buckets if you don't have anything better for that.
Equip all fishing accessories you may have. If you don't have any, you can start by doing some fisher quests. Use your best non-truffle bait. Craft or buy the best rod you can get. And then try again.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
After playing this game a ton i stopped worrying about lack of hallow/corruption and just buy a climatenator and spam it around until I get what biome I need.

The aftermath, just adds flavor.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Huh, I hadn't thought about keeping double jump when I already have wings and letting them stack. Does it really let you dodge that much better than wings alone? I know I'm finding more than ever that mobility is everything with my play style but it's hard to think of which of my.seemingly crucial hardmode accessorIes would be worth removing for that.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the tip of building a box to cheese the saucers! I slowly killed like ten of them with the nettleburst. Sadly I only got the weak drops aside from the influx weaver but I'll do it again at some point since I've made a little farm for the probe.

Also can somebody explain why the horseman's blade is regarded so highly? I get that the pumpkins it spawns home and do decent damage but I always get hit too much when I try to use it because the pumpkin spawns are rather slow

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Huh, I hadn't thought about keeping double jump when I already have wings and letting them stack. Does it really let you dodge that much better than wings alone? I know I'm finding more than ever that mobility is everything with my play style but it's hard to think of which of my.seemingly crucial hardmode accessorIes would be worth removing for that.
Well it kinda depends on the rest of your setup and specifically on your mount I think. I'm not good with the hoverboard and was on the unicorn so far which doesn't really lend itself to bossfights. With a powerful mount like the saucer or the scutlix you'll be using that mostly so boots become a lot less useful.

But if you're a foot+wing fighter then they are pretty nifty I feel. The speed burst of the double jump is very good to evade attacks and contact damage and you can easily chain it into the shield dodge before your wings take over. It's a pretty smooth loop that let's you gain a good chunk of distance. I made that move my bossfight pattern and it worked very well all the way through the golem. But as said I think it becomes less effective with an endgame mount. I just got the cosmic car key and I'm gonna see if I miss the boots during bossfights

Oh, and one last thing. The boots do give 7% more move speed. That doesn't sound like a lot but it sure feels like a lot. Whenever I ditch the boots I feel real sluggish

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 27, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It might be easier to find a pool of water higher up and dig down until it meets this one / you form a new lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Well you could also just dig down a bit to connect the cave below, seal it up at the bottom, and then dump like 200 buckets of water into pool which should be enough with the already present water. This way you can also build a quick and easy safe spot to fish from at the top

There's lots of ways to make your own lakes but the "300 buckets of water" method worked for me so far. And I think you need 80 blocks for a biome? I think there is some setup where you can just use the clentaminator on a box of dirt blocks above your lake to access several biomes from one spot