Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seamonster posted:

Anybody having problems downloading KB4345421? Mine is stuck at downloading 0% so I went and got the standalone installer but even that gets stuck on "searching for updates on this computer"

have you run the windows update troubleshooter? that thing actually works sometimes, in my experience.

2nd, purge the update cache. instructions here (despite the "last resort" warning this is actually a completely safe operation, as long as updates aren't actively in the process of installing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Those notepad changes are all good especially the one about correctly interpreting line endings

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
My only question about the Notepad stuff is: Does that mean it's no longer a win32 app and is now a UWP/Windows Store application?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't wait for Notepad 3D.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Notepad mixed reality with embedded ads is going to be so dope.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, if anything Paint 3D was the real waste of everyone's time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Klyith posted:

Notepad is a very simple program and these are some completely trivial changes / additions. Anybody bitching about time taken away from core OS work is wasting a vastly greater proportion of their own time to complain about it than microsoft spent to do it.

It's the cornerstone of a fast ring insider preview build. They come out about once a week. Here's another one where the "cornerstones" are a swipe gesture keyboard and the Game Bar.

Ah fair enough.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Where's my permanently-pinned Text Files system folder

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lambert posted:

Yeah, if anything Paint 3D was the real waste of everyone's time.

Especially as this is the first time i've ever heard of it :v:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I actually liked the default mail app in Windows 10.

Then, in the last day, it started serving me ads.

Really? Microsoft?

They want me to sub to Office365 to remove them, which I don’t need cause I already have Office 2016.

Is there some sort group policy I can edit to get rid of this poo poo?

Alternatively, suggest nice clean and simple email clients? I’m fine with paying for a client, just not subscribing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still using thunderbird and have no complaints.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My default mail app changed the quick action from "delete" to "archive" on my ryzen PC but not my Intel laptop and I loving hate it. Everything I've tried doesn't bring the delete function back :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This is probably obvious and I'm probably an idiot, but after the latest feature update I lost sound to my headphones (I don't have speakers). After loving around with drivers like a moron I eventually fixed it by unplugging and re-inserting the Y-adaptor cable I'm using to plug a headset in to the headphone and microphone ports.

So if you've got Realtek on-board audio and you lose sound just try unplugging and re-inserting your headphone/speaker cable first.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, now I know for a fact something is up with this last Cumulative update, at least with 5-6-year-old Lenovo Ideapads using HDDs. My sister's laptop just installed the latest update, and now the Windows' processes are maxing out system resources and slowing everything down immediately following reboot. I'm now trying to see if running Disk Cleanup and clearing out the update leftovers will help any.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Okay, now I know for a fact something is up with this last Cumulative update, at least with 5-6-year-old Lenovo Ideapads using HDDs. My sister's laptop just installed the latest update, and now the Windows' processes are maxing out system resources and slowing everything down immediately following reboot. I'm now trying to see if running Disk Cleanup and clearing out the update leftovers will help any.

Just let it sit for a while.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lambert posted:

Just let it sit for a while.

I've been letting it sit. For hours. Every day for the last week and a half. It never releases control of the CPU. And that's not when it slams the hard drive for hours on end.

EDIT: I note things seem to go back to normal on my laptop at least when I used the registry key to disable Windows Defender, but that's obviously not a viable long term solution.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 22, 2018

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I've been letting it sit. For hours. Every day for the last week and a half. It never releases control of the CPU. And that's not when it slams the hard drive for hours on end.

EDIT: I note things seem to go back to normal on my laptop at least when I used the registry key to disable Windows Defender, but that's obviously not a viable long term solution.

check process monitor whether defender is reading / writing like crazy from etilqs files in the temp directory? saw that before.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd back up again as recently as possible, and blow away the windows install and just reinstall it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've run into a really weird thing recently and I don't know what to blame. It's basically suddenly after the last Spring update the computer wont resume from sleep. I tried a bunch of stuff, including drivers, and clearing the BIOS via jumper. I was beginning to think it was just a motherboard failure of some type. Ended up reflashing the BIOS over the top of the same version which you can't always do.. and that fixed it completely. WTF?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

I've run into a really weird thing recently and I don't know what to blame. It's basically suddenly after the last Spring update the computer wont resume from sleep. I tried a bunch of stuff, including drivers, and clearing the BIOS via jumper. I was beginning to think it was just a motherboard failure of some type. Ended up reflashing the BIOS over the top of the same version which you can't always do.. and that fixed it completely. WTF?

Updating the BIOS probably forced a driver refresh/reinstall on a couple of System level devices (ACPI, etc). I had a BIOS flash change the way Ethernet ports were enumerated in Linux the other day.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I kinda like how the UWP settings app doesn't acknowledge the existence of a network adapter, if it's not connected to the Internet or at all.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'd back up again as recently as possible, and blow away the windows install and just reinstall it.

That did it, I think. Now if I could just get Linux Mint properly reinstalled as well, it doesn't seem to be able to be able to stick the grub loader in there. Off topic, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I hate problems with CPU usage.

So I bought a 10 pro for workstations code. And installed it by fresh installing windows and upgrading.

How can I do a fresh install, run a repair?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I hate problems with CPU usage.

So I bought a 10 pro for workstations code. And installed it by fresh installing windows and upgrading.

How can I do a fresh install, run a repair?

How much did that cost?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not sure I understand the question because it sounds like you already did a fresh install.

You can do a repair by elevating a command prompt and typing sfc /scannow

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
They were like GBP13 / $30-35 on eBay for the Windows Pro N for Workstations, but I'm having a hard time finding them now.

Of course, buying it from the Microsoft Store is an option, albeit like $360-odd something dollars.

I bought three keys in March, but that seller doesn't list anymore N Pro for Workstation licenses at the moment.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 26, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question because it sounds like you already did a fresh install.

You can do a repair by elevating a command prompt and typing sfc /scannow

One of the pro for workstations perks is no games apps, but upgrading from 10 pro leaves them all there. I wondered if it was possible to non upgrade install it, maybe via a refresh or whatever it's called.

The key cost £15 on eBay. The N version with the free download media pack should be functionally the same but cheaper, but it won't work with mixed reality headsets.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 26, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

One of the pro for workstations perks is no games apps, but upgrading from 10 pro leaves them all there. I wondered if it was possible to non upgrade install it, maybe via a refresh or whatever it's called.
The games and other junk are relatively easy to uninstall with powershell.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
I usually have CCleaner (free) installed anyways for removing junk, but it comes with a handy uninstall tool that lets you remove all those Windows apps/games individually.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CCleaner is great for installing malware on your computer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And also Win 10 cleans temp file areas now. CC cleaner sux.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

And also Win 10 cleans temp file areas now. CC cleaner sux.

I noticed this recently, pretty neat.

One weird thing my latest install did is set avast free as my main antivirus, although I never chose to install it. Wtf?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow windows is cleaning up its own garbage. simply amazing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

One weird thing my latest install did is set avast free as my main antivirus, although I never chose to install it. Wtf?

There's some goofy stuff vendors can do to embed software in to UEFI. Whatever did that was 3rd party and not MS.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Latest install of CCleaner or of Windows?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fresh Windows install and upgrade to pro for workstations.

Last Chance posted:

wow windows is cleaning up its own garbage. simply amazing
Ikr?? It's good to see microsoft at least trying to keep up with mobile devices.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There's some goofy stuff vendors can do to embed software in to UEFI. Whatever did that was 3rd party and not MS.
:aaa: it's a new board too so could easily be.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 26, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Ugh are they really using this to install crapware now?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think so or else my brain would explode.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wasn't that literally what Lenovo was doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Geemer posted:

Wasn't that literally what Lenovo was doing?

Yup. They embedded an actual rootkit that installed its own certificates into the root store so it could serve ads. Surprise - the private key was wide open.