Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm sorry but I can't date a woman who doesn't agree that New Vegas is the best of the modern Fallout games!
I honestly don't think I'd want to date a woman who preferred 3 or 4 over NV. I don't care if she has no opinion and doesn't play video games, but having actively bad taste is something else altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All the modern Fallout games are bad, folks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly don't think I'd want to date a woman who preferred 3 or 4 over NV. I don't care if she has no opinion and doesn't play video games, but having actively bad taste is something else altogether.

Godspeed, principled gamer!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
My chastity belt says "No Mutants Allowed!" and I stand by it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Asking people's opinions on Fallout games IS a good way to weed out undesirable dating partners. If they have any opinion strong enough that it would keep them from dating someone, bam, they're out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah but they you might look like a person who has opinions about video games and any sensible person would ditch you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dudeness posted:

My chastity belt says "No Mutants Allowed!" and I stand by it.

the problem there is your dick is curved so it looks more like 'no, mutants allowed'

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Haifisch posted:

My BF [31M] made me [F27] feel like a lesser person for wanting to watch a lesbian Netflix movie. Says "that's all you think about, are you stupid? That movie won't add anything to your life."

Dude knows he doesn't deserve his girlfriend and rather than try to improve himself he's going to insecurity-spiral his way to loneliness.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Haifisch posted:

My BF [31M] made me [F27] feel like a lesser person for wanting to watch a lesbian Netflix movie. Says "that's all you think about, are you stupid? That movie won't add anything to your life."

She's dating an Asian-American engineer and is surprised he's insecure about her sexuality?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I got my wife to call someone a lobotomite on facebook yesterday. She was looking for a good intelligence-related insult that wasn’t “retard” and goddamn if NV didn’t deliver.

Afterwards, she looked it up and said “Aww, they were medically experimented on? That’s so sad.”

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm playing fallout 4 now, and having a lot of fun extending my iron-fisted rule across the commonwealth from my fortified settlements. Am I undateable ? :ohdear:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I couldn’t figure out the controls for fallout. Sucks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Philonius posted:

I'm playing fallout 4 now, and having a lot of fun extending my iron-fisted rule across the commonwealth from my fortified settlements. Am I undateable ? :ohdear:

yea

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah but they you might look like a person who has opinions about video games and any sensible person would ditch you

My only opinion is that Video Games, much like the Anime Menace, should be immediately banned!

Ban Video Games and Anime Now!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Philonius posted:

Depends, what did you think about New Vegas?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Philonius posted:

I loved Fallout 4 so judging by the standards for relationships that I see from Reddit in this thread, we should probably get married immediately

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cythereal posted:

She's dating an Asian-American engineer and is surprised he's insecure about her sexuality?
Well she only dated women before, so she hasn't had the opportunity to see how insecure men can get when they realize their girlfriend can be satisified by something that's not their penis.

See also: Men who feel hilariously threatened when their gf gets a dildo or vibrator.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
OK, here's a legit question. If you can teach all manner of animals to obey and not destroy things, then why can'y you teach an autistic kid?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Khazar-khum posted:

OK, here's a legit question. If you can teach all manner of animals to obey and not destroy things, then why can'y you teach an autistic kid?

Because it's not a question of intelligence, it's about the brain working right.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You can do a lot. With money and qualified, trained personnel.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

burial posted:

I got my wife to call someone a lobotomite on facebook yesterday. She was looking for a good intelligence-related insult that wasn’t “retard” and goddamn if NV didn’t deliver.

Afterwards, she looked it up and said “Aww, they were medically experimented on? That’s so sad.”

Add "nincompoop" to her vocabulary. It is both erudite and immature (I mean, it does end with "poop"), so it works really well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Khazar-khum posted:

You can, my parents trained me well enough to pass when I want to. It's not easy and you have to have a strong constitution and not give up just because your kid is whining.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, nimrod. Its origin as an insult is because americans are nimrods and didnt get why bugs bunny called Elmer Fudd that so its original meaning is 100% free and clear morally

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Khazar-khum posted:

I know of a low-functioning person with autism who, whenever they'd hear a can of pop being opened, would bolt straight for it to tear it in half with their hands, cutting themselves and bleeding all over in the process. Mind you, they weren't a light individual and were absolutely fixated despite how many staffers you'd have trying to engage in some non-violent crisis intervention between them and the can.

Eventually the protocol became 'let them have the can, intervene with medical attention after' because sending one person to the hospital was a lot better than sending 4. Sometimes, all you can do is respond to a situation.

The Ferret King posted:

You can do a lot. With money and qualified, trained personnel.

It really depends upon the individual. Sometimes, you're able to modify behavior. Other times, all you can do is identify antecedents to dangerous behavior and modify the environment.

One downside of Reagan closing all the mental institutions is that some folk really do need 24/7/365 care and can't function in the world without it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe after Cheeto everyone will be able to agree to the necessity of crazy houses.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My Imaginary GF posted:

I know of a low-functioning person with autism who, whenever they'd hear a can of pop being opened, would bolt straight for it to tear it in half with their hands, cutting themselves and bleeding all over in the process. Mind you, they weren't a light individual and were absolutely fixated despite how many staffers you'd have trying to engage in some non-violent crisis intervention between them and the can.

Eventually the protocol became 'let them have the can, intervene with medical attention after' because sending one person to the hospital was a lot better than sending 4. Sometimes, all you can do is respond to a situation.

handcuff him?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Barudak posted:

Also, nimrod. Its origin as an insult is because americans are nimrods and didnt get why bugs bunny called Elmer Fudd that so its original meaning is 100% free and clear morally

Poor old Nimrod, Americans thought of him and he became stupid

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Humans aren’t dogs or any other animal that follows a pre-programmed set of instincts for the most part, and are far more complex and unpredictable. Remember that we are all basically civilized monkeys and anything that neuters the inhibition we already barely have as a species (not referring to the disabled alone here, anyone pushed to the point of violence) means you have a angry, smart and incredibly dangerous primate on your hands. If you are strong enough, and angry/afraid enough, you don’t need a gun to gently caress someone up. That tends to be hard to control.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
oh my god are you acting like fixed action patterns are more than lingo

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pick posted:

oh my god are you acting like fixed action patterns are more than lingo

No idea what that means, googled it and I dunno maybe? My animal studies expertise is limited to watching my cat try to eat his own barf

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [23 F] am getting more muscular, and my boyfriend [29 M] doesn't find it attractive. Problem is, I love my new body.

I've been doing a sport since college, but a while ago, I felt like my skills had plateaued. My coach said that what he thinks is holding me back was just that I was lacking physical strength. He suggested I start lifting weights.

I thought he was right, I was really tiny and non muscular. I've always been bordering on being underweight, dipping above and below the cutoff for years. So I started going to the gym a few times a week, and making myself eat more to put on some muscle.

I also coincidentally started a new job that's close enough to home that I can bike there. It's kind of a hilly ride, so doing that every day did wonders for my legs.

I've super happy with how I look and feel. While it hasn't been a drastic change, going from 103 to 120 pounds, I've made so much improvement in my sport, I feel great and energetic rather than easily tired all the time, and I love how my legs and butt look.

My boyfriend knew I was really excited about this. For the first time, I was able to lift him up. I kept telling him about how much improvement I was making at my sports practices.

My friend was telling me at a party that her boyfriend who she just broke up with wasn't able to lift her up, and he called her heavy, and she felt super hurt by that. My best drunk idea to cheer her up was to lift her up and yell "girl he's just weak" and then do a few squats holding her. She was laughing her rear end off, and a bunch of my other friends who we were talking to laughed about it. One of our friends joked about how I should go fight her ex.

My boyfriend confronted me about that a few minutes later, saying that me showing off was super unattractive and tacky, and he was embarrassed by it. I told him "Literally everyone but you was laughing, it was just a bit of fun. Anyway I wanted to make my friend realize she's skinny as gently caress and her ex was just an rear end."

I asked him to name one other person who found it cringy, and he couldn't. So I asked him why he was so bothered.

It all came out then; he said he found it unfeminine, and he'd not been as attracted to me, once I started getting fit. He said he didn't like how my body wasn't as soft anymore. And seeing me squat my friend today reminded him too much of the "macho bullshit" a lot of men do, that he hates and thinks is super trashy.

I was shocked by all that, and I was kinda upset that he preferred me before. I was drunk so I probably got too accusing, but I said "It's really lovely that you preferred me weaker. I feel so much better now, able to do so much more. My doctor isn't telling me I'm underweight anymore. But you don't like that?"

I think we need to talk again sober. But I don't know how to approach it. I'm still upset my boyfriend thinks I'm less attractive, after I've made a change that feels so amazing for me.

TLDR - My boyfriend told me that he doesn't find me as attractive since I put on some muscle. It hurts to hear he preferred me weak and medically underweight.

tfw no big mussly gf

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also a lot of ABA stuff that tries to train autistic people like dogs ends up being super abusive. That gets worse when you've got people more fixated on eliminating visible signs of autism (esp if a kid is deemed higher functioning) than actually providing coping mechanisms or harm reduction. For example a lot of the stuff I've heard about is pretty down on stimming, especially stuff like hand-flapping. The thing is, while there's absolutely destructive and self-destructive stims people can have (like banging their head against the wall), what a stim really is is a way to vent anxiety and stuff in a brain that's wired up all weird. Even if someone is high functioning enough where flapping their hands could end up being a social detriment, using aversive conditioning to train that out of someone is just robbing them of something they're using to be ABLE to function as well as they are. If someone is stimming in a disruptive way just work w/ them to figure out what exactly is the sensation that helps them and try and find a less disruptive alternative, even things like those stim cube toys.

Of course, if you're talking about someone who you can't really talk things through with them that's an entirely different can of worms, but even in that case the stuff I've read about that seems helpful is based more around figuring out why something is setting someone off and what can be done to reduce that. It sounds like the sound of a pop can opening really hurts the ears of the person who then viciously attacks the pop can... which there's only so much you can do about that, but it's not like the solution would be to handcuff them to a chair and then keep opening pop cans in a room with them.

Pick, no offense but some of the stuff you've said about your parents is genuinely horrifying, which is not to say they didn't mean well. I'm glad you're functioning okay and that you feel like it helped you but I don't think you should be advising people to Sophie's Choice their child's stuffed animals as a punishment for thinking it was acceptable to be ugly in this world or something.

EDIT: Source, am autistic and older sister is also autistic and quite low functioning due to other disabilities. I've seen both ends of this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [23 F] am getting more muscular, and my boyfriend [29 M] doesn't find it attractive. Problem is, I love my new body.

I've been doing a sport since college, but a while ago, I felt like my skills had plateaued. My coach said that what he thinks is holding me back was just that I was lacking physical strength. He suggested I start lifting weights.

I thought he was right, I was really tiny and non muscular. I've always been bordering on being underweight, dipping above and below the cutoff for years. So I started going to the gym a few times a week, and making myself eat more to put on some muscle.

I also coincidentally started a new job that's close enough to home that I can bike there. It's kind of a hilly ride, so doing that every day did wonders for my legs.

I've super happy with how I look and feel. While it hasn't been a drastic change, going from 103 to 120 pounds, I've made so much improvement in my sport, I feel great and energetic rather than easily tired all the time, and I love how my legs and butt look.

My boyfriend knew I was really excited about this. For the first time, I was able to lift him up. I kept telling him about how much improvement I was making at my sports practices.

My friend was telling me at a party that her boyfriend who she just broke up with wasn't able to lift her up, and he called her heavy, and she felt super hurt by that. My best drunk idea to cheer her up was to lift her up and yell "girl he's just weak" and then do a few squats holding her. She was laughing her rear end off, and a bunch of my other friends who we were talking to laughed about it. One of our friends joked about how I should go fight her ex.

My boyfriend confronted me about that a few minutes later, saying that me showing off was super unattractive and tacky, and he was embarrassed by it. I told him "Literally everyone but you was laughing, it was just a bit of fun. Anyway I wanted to make my friend realize she's skinny as gently caress and her ex was just an rear end."

I asked him to name one other person who found it cringy, and he couldn't. So I asked him why he was so bothered.

It all came out then; he said he found it unfeminine, and he'd not been as attracted to me, once I started getting fit. He said he didn't like how my body wasn't as soft anymore. And seeing me squat my friend today reminded him too much of the "macho bullshit" a lot of men do, that he hates and thinks is super trashy.

I was shocked by all that, and I was kinda upset that he preferred me before. I was drunk so I probably got too accusing, but I said "It's really lovely that you preferred me weaker. I feel so much better now, able to do so much more. My doctor isn't telling me I'm underweight anymore. But you don't like that?"

I think we need to talk again sober. But I don't know how to approach it. I'm still upset my boyfriend thinks I'm less attractive, after I've made a change that feels so amazing for me.

TLDR - My boyfriend told me that he doesn't find me as attractive since I put on some muscle. It hurts to hear he preferred me weak and medically underweight.

tfw no big mussly gf

gently caress that guy. Fit girls with hardbodies are hot.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Maybe he just wants to protect his prized watermelon collection.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [F30's] husband [M30's] of 9 years has a secret criminal life involving setting fires.

So currently my husband is under arrest, charged with arson. He has admitted to being responsible for a wildfire that's blazing in our area right now. So far several people have lost their homes, and many more been forced to evacuate and may still lose their homes. When I was told about this I was completely in shock. It turns out for many years he's done this in the summer. Driving out to the mountains or an isolated grassy area and intentionally starting fires. Then he just sits back and watches them burn their way through however many miles of people's livelihood until it's over. I remember watching the news with him previous summers. I remember him sitting right next to me, talking to him about how horrible it was, we even had to evacuate one year! There's people who have to evacuate every time obviously. How can he just sit there knowing he caused that???

I'm unable to find words for this, I feel so betrayed. He had this secret, destructive life behind my back. Who knows how many people he's caused to lose their homes or their means of income or even their LIVES???

I haven't spoken with him yet, I'm so unspeakably angry and horrified.

All I can imagine doing is informing him that I'm filing for divorce. On the other hand I desperately want the police to be wrong. They're not wrong if as I was told my husband himself has confessed.

Complicating things we have two kids (7 year old son and 5 year old daughter). My question for the community here is what to tell them? In fact I would be grateful for advice about how to explain my divorce to everyone, since I have no doubt people here will be rightfully very angry over what he's done. His name will be in the news and it will be known.

I'm just devastated. I'm so sorry to all the people he's hurt.

TL;DR husband has for years secretly been starting fires during wildfire season in nature reserves. When they take off and end up endangering thousands of people, he's getting off on knowing he's behind it. I feel so sick. I plan to divorce him over this, how do I manage how upset people will be when I'm upset too?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drat, that guy is good he even burned his relationship to the ground.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I said this the last time a guy was bitching about his buff girlfriend: the solution is easy: grab him, press him overhead, and throw him out the window.

Guys like that are insecure weenies. I used to be able to carry my 300+ lb brother around piggy back, and it was just considered a cool party trick/feat of strength.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Idiot can’t handle his buff gf. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a big beefy lady who can pick them up and cradle them like a small baby

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

coronatae posted:

Idiot can’t handle his buff gf. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a big beefy lady who can pick them up and cradle them like a small baby

She needs to lose 150-250 lbs. Maybe more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

Pick, no offense but some of the stuff you've said about your parents is genuinely horrifying, which is not to say they didn't mean well. I'm glad you're functioning okay and that you feel like it helped you but I don't think you should be advising people to Sophie's Choice their child's stuffed animals as a punishment for thinking it was acceptable to be ugly in this world or something.

It's always amazing to me which ones people remember, that is so far from being the most "wtf" one on the list.