Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Double Punctuation posted:

Yup. They embedded an actual rootkit that installed its own certificates into the root store so it could serve ads. Surprise - the private key was wide open.
Are you sure that superfish was installed by this method rather than just preloaded? Also are you sure that it involved a "rootkit"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There's some goofy stuff vendors can do to embed software in to UEFI. Whatever did that was 3rd party and not MS.

What the gently caress

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What the gently caress

ITT it's not just your avatar that's playing telephone

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Are you sure that superfish was installed by this method rather than just preloaded? Also are you sure that it involved a "rootkit"?

superfish did come preinstalled and they had to get rid of that, but then a month or two later they did an UEFI that reinstalls adware if you uninstall it :laffo:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There is a UEFI feature that allows loading a device driver from UEFI to OS, which was imagined to be a good idea because that way drivers for stuff like chipset RAID or NVMe that windows needs to install could be automatically provided, rather than manually added during install. Lenovo misused this to install their updater service. (Ultimately benign but still bad because it was breaking the spec.) Lenovo did this in 2015, got dragged over the coals for it by everyone including Microsoft. It is not common practice.

It was *different* software than the Superfish ad/malware (technically, not a "rootkit") they did, which was also earlier in 2015 and probably why the UEFI thing got found -- everyone was running around trying to clean everything that said lenovo off their laptops.

If you have an OEM machine it almost certainly has software that is phoning home once in a while. You can get rid of most OEMware but some of it is probably the software that handles keyboard functions etc. Also Win10, iOS, Android, and any other internet connected device you own is also phoning home. If you are paranoid about this poo poo switch to Linux.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

HP had its cool audio driver that keylogged you.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah the Superfish stuff is why I'd never want to buy a ThinkPad again, unfortunately - and this was after they bought the brand and immediately started cutting corners on the keyboard.

I can't remember how far back Superfish was, but I also bought my 2012 MacBook Air in large part due to the fact that it didn't feel like there were any good Windows laptop brands left.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow then. Brain explode.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I still believe the Thinkpad “T” line up are the absolute best laptops.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Fresh Windows install and upgrade to pro for workstations.
Grindcore, you ought to just clean install from scratch with your Pro For Workstations key. Straight up clean as you can get, so then install the media pack, turn on Ultimate Performance power profile, and go to town.

Need media?

On the UEFI note, last month I unboxed five decent Vostro laptops than shipped with 1703. I uninstalled McAfee Live Safe (or whatever), and after they’d gotten their 1806 and rebooted, McAfee Security Scan Plus had shown back up.

I assure you I uninstalled both McAfees present, Live Safe and the Web Protection on all prior to the 1806 upgrade.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tapedump posted:

On the UEFI note, last month I unboxed five decent Vostro laptops than shipped with 1703. I uninstalled McAfee Live Safe (or whatever), and after they’d gotten their 1806 and rebooted, McAfee Security Scan Plus had shown back up.

I assure you I uninstalled both McAfees present, Live Safe and the Web Protection on all prior to the 1806 upgrade.

Mcaffee is not in your UEFI silly

You uninstalled two other mcaffee products, the third was just hiding somewhere. I wouldn't put it past mcaffee to force multiple rounds of uninstallation by having some of their software "cover" the others, so you can't see the uninstall entry for the next one until after a reboot.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can get the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) on their site:

https://service.mcafee.com/webcente...e%3D8616mntk9_4

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Klyith posted:

Mcaffee is not in your UEFI silly

You uninstalled two other mcaffee products, the third was just hiding somewhere. I wouldn't put it past mcaffee to force multiple rounds of uninstallation by having some of their software "cover" the others, so you can't see the uninstall entry for the next one until after a reboot.

You’re right, fair enough, thank you. That’s probably what I should have said. No, there’s no room in the firmware files, it’d be super frowned upon, etc.

Please amend my post as, “Look how McAfee Mini showed up after the 1803, despite quite a few reboots just to remove it/similar things long before 1806! Funky!”

(Since I’m preeeety sure Programs and Features fully cleansed of McAfee, I’m guessing the surprise was app-x. Yea? Nay?)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tapedump posted:

Grindcore, you ought to just clean install from scratch with your Pro For Workstations key. Straight up clean as you can get, so then install the media pack, turn on Ultimate Performance power profile, and go to town.

Need media?

Only problem is, my key won't activate in the installer - that version isn't available.

But activating 10 pro with the key adds the new features.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So ages back in this thread I was complaining that 1803 wouldn't install on my X58 / Core i7 system.

Finally found a solution, disabling VT-d made it work, for some reason.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So, I changed my skype password, and apparently that also changed the password for logging onto my windows computer. I'm assuming this is because Skype is now owned by windows?

Anyways, my question is: what other windows services share the same password?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
probably most of them. its not sharing passwords its doing oauth or whatever

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fruits of the sea posted:

So, I changed my skype password, and apparently that also changed the password for logging onto my windows computer. I'm assuming this is because Skype is now owned by windows?

Anyways, my question is: what other windows services share the same password?

Most of them? Office, Xbox, Bing (if you use it), etc.

Microsoft's been moving to a unified account for over a decade.

It won't merge your corporate or academic accounts with each other or your personal account, but other than that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

necrotic posted:

probably most of them. its not sharing passwords its doing oauth or whatever

Skype and Microsoft accounts have been merged for a while now.

You can have a local account and simply log into specific apps (like Cortana, or the Store).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, so my word and outlook passwords are probably different too now. Not sure if I'm using anything else Windows, but I wasn't aware that Skype was now a windows thing.

Urgh. This is pretty convenient in theory, but annoying in practice.

Edit: Looking back, this explains why I've had to reset passwords for different things a bunch of times. I always thought it was dropbox failing to sync my password manager properly. Also was not aware Cortana needed a log-in but I've always tried to uninstall it (unsuccesfully) because I prefer using key commands to speaking at my appliances.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 30, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use my old skype name to log in. You can have it either way, MS account login or not connected at all. I just clicked my profile email address and it is not MS.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Edit: Looking back, this explains why I've had to reset passwords for different things a bunch of times. I always thought it was dropbox failing to sync my password manager properly. Also was not aware Cortana needed a log-in but I've always tried to uninstall it (unsuccesfully) because I prefer using key commands to speaking at my appliances.

I believe that Cortana runs other functions as well, so disabling it can cause unexpected issues later.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Yeah and also you can simply not talk to it. It's not like you have to talk to it or your PC won't work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I get the feeling that all these people whose first response to a mild inconvenience was trying hacky poo poo to remove the whole module, were the sort of people 10 years ago who were downloading xXxDevilHackerxXx SuperSlim XP ISOs to remove the "cruft" and wondering why their programs/system broke so often.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

10 years ago? There was someone in here just last year talking about downloading a slimmed-down Win10 ISO.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I just got the Precision touchpad drivers for my old thinkpad. Everything works.. surprisingly well. It's something I would consider myself picky about and one reason I stuck with Macbooks. I don't know if it's quite as good, but it's pretty close and this is on technically unsupported hardware.

Two finger scrolling and the 3 and 4 finger gestures all work (and shamelessly seem to default to the same actions as macOS) but two finger swipe left and right don't do back/forward? It does work in Edge, but not Firefox or Chrome. I don't see an option for that in the touchpad settings. Not sure why it doesn't just map to MOUSE4/5?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

fishmech posted:

I get the feeling that all these people whose first response to a mild inconvenience was trying hacky poo poo to remove the whole module, were the sort of people 10 years ago who were downloading xXxDevilHackerxXx SuperSlim XP ISOs to remove the "cruft" and wondering why their programs/system broke so often.

I was never adventuresome enough for third party tools but reinstalling win 95 and win 98 installations was definitely a regular occurence :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno I got annoyed when they removed the "turn off Cortana button"

I assume its because everyone pressed it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dogstile posted:

I dunno I got annoyed when they removed the "turn off Cortana button"

I assume its because everyone pressed it.

Could be. Looking into it, Cortana is pretty closely integrated into the windows search function now, so removing it also messes up search. Which isn't the biggest loss, depending on how you use search. I find using the Everything app to be faster and more precise when looking for specific files or executables, but people who use the library and windows store a lot would probably prefer Cortana.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Milkman posted:

I just got the Precision touchpad drivers for my old thinkpad. Everything works.. surprisingly well. It's something I would consider myself picky about and one reason I stuck with Macbooks. I don't know if it's quite as good, but it's pretty close and this is on technically unsupported hardware.

Two finger scrolling and the 3 and 4 finger gestures all work (and shamelessly seem to default to the same actions as macOS) but two finger swipe left and right don't do back/forward? It does work in Edge, but not Firefox or Chrome. I don't see an option for that in the touchpad settings. Not sure why it doesn't just map to MOUSE4/5?

Two fingers is scrolling in any direction, so left-right is horizontal scrolling. Funny if Edge actually remaps that to something else for reasons

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Could be. Looking into it, Cortana is pretty closely integrated into the windows search function now, so removing it also messes up search. Which isn't the biggest loss, depending on how you use search. I find using the Everything app to be faster and more precise when looking for specific files or executables, but people who use the library and windows store a lot would probably prefer Cortana.

I actually haven't looked into it yet, but is there a reason windows 10 can't figure out that then I type in say, "stupiddeadgame" it can't find the shortcut on my desktop named "stupiddeadgame", but on windows 7 it works fine.

Something something indexing?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just created a desktop shortcut and it showed up as the first result instantly. I tried creating one in a folder and then moving it to the desktop, that took a couple seconds to appear as a result. So yeah indexing I guess, have you been turning things off?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

I actually haven't looked into it yet, but is there a reason windows 10 can't figure out that then I type in say, "stupiddeadgame" it can't find the shortcut on my desktop named "stupiddeadgame", but on windows 7 it works fine.

Something something indexing?
I had a similar problem a while back (I think it was right after I upgrade 7 -> 10 but can't remember for sure) - for example, typing "Steam" defaulted to a bing search for steam even though the shortcut was present in my start menu and on my desktop, and the search results didn't show the actual shortcut. I uninstalled / reinstalled affected programs, no change. I wound up having to recreate my user profile to fix it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'd try rebuilding the search index before nuking accounts.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

baka kaba posted:

Two fingers is scrolling in any direction, so left-right is horizontal scrolling. Funny if Edge actually remaps that to something else for reasons

Right, so how it works on Mac/Edge, is it kicks in after a certain threshold (of distance or velocity) of scrolling horizontally past the edge of the content. I guess it's not quite as generic as swipe right = MOUSE4, I'm just used to it Just Working where trackpad gestures are the norm

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything like DDU for sound drivers? I updated my mom's old Dell desktop to the April Update, and now whenever she plays any audio whatsoever, it periodically distorts like it's shorting out. It does this regardless of port used or output device used (tried both speakers and headphones in different ports), and it didn't do this before I installed all those updates, so I figure it has to be a driver problem.

I tried using the Win10 Sound troubleshooter tool, which messed around with uninstall/reinstalling drivers, and like usual it proved entirely worthless for fixing the problem. I just want to uninstall the sound drivers, install the last known good drivers for the machine from... uh, the Vista era, then use the GP setting to disable all future driver updates from Windows Update. Is there a third-party app I can use to make uninstalling the drivers easily, or do I just have to do it the old-fashioned way through Device Manager?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

baka kaba posted:

I just created a desktop shortcut and it showed up as the first result instantly. I tried creating one in a folder and then moving it to the desktop, that took a couple seconds to appear as a result. So yeah indexing I guess, have you been turning things off?

I haven't been, but I can always rebuild the search index. This is a new(ish) install of win10 where i've not hosed about with it for once.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Curious if someone could shed some light on my situation before I start actually messing around:
Currently have a store-bought full-fledged key (not OEM) for 10 Home. I’m wondering if I can upgrade to Pro on the cheap.
I do still have a key for 8 Pro that I obtained in 2012 when I upgraded my old HP-provided Win 7 Home install with the cheap upgrade. That install of 8 was later upgraded to 8.1 Pro, then 10 Pro in 2015, however it was tied to that motherboard from my old PC.
According to Ed Bott on ZDNet, it’s possible to upgrade 10 Home to Pro if you use an old key for 7 or 8 Pro. However:
Since the 8 Pro key was upgraded to 8.1 and then 10, is it still valid or has it been burned?
Secondly, if it is still valid, would it then burn the 10 Home key I still have or would that also stay valid? I specifically bought the full key so it could be used across multiple builds instead of tying to specific hardware.
E: not referring to having multiple active installs of 10, just don’t want to lose the key that isn’t tied to specific hardware for whenever I do a full platform upgrade down the line.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 1, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
All keys stay active forever, nothing gets used up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

All keys stay active forever, nothing gets used up.

Uh, no. Whatever key you activate with 10 is 'burned' since it is replaced with a hardware hash and then removed from the system for activation.