Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

IcePhoenix posted:

Hi friends. I'm running a Persona 5 themed Mafia game in The Game Room and still need more people to fill it out. So if you were ever thinking of giving forums based Mafia a shot, now is a good time :) The vets are pretty forgiving and willing to help new players, as well.

There will be spoilers aplenty though so if you haven't finished and are worried by that you should probably not join.

Is Mafia basically Werewolf? I've played that a few times at parties, though never played it online in any capacity. Seems fun, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BlackFrost posted:

Is Mafia basically Werewolf? I've played that a few times at parties, though never played it online in any capacity. Seems fun, maybe I'll give it a shot.

More or less, yeah.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I played whichever Persona had the teddy bear character, enjoyed it, and then got to the teddy bear fight and got my rear end whooped repeatedly. I went online and everything said I should have been about 8 levels higher than I was for the fight, which blew my mind because I felt like I had done a lot of grinding throughout the game.

So I bought P5 and I want to avoid another situation where i hit a brick wall. What are the basic tips for the game to ensure I don't gently caress anything up real bad?

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 25, 2018

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So I played whichever Persona had the teddy bear character, enjoyed it, and then got to the teddy bear fight and got my rear end whooped repeatedly. I went online and everything said I should have been about 8 levels higher than I was for the fight, which blew my mind because I felt like I had done a lot of grinding throughout the game.

So I bought P5 and I want to avoid another situation where i hit a brick wall. What are the basic tips for the game to ensure I don't gently caress anything up real bad?

Date your teacher.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Keep grinding.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Seek medical help.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bikindok posted:

Seek medical help.

And then date her.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Make sure to take a bath on Mondays and Thursdays and be sure to drink those smoothies every Sunday.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

A quick list:

Get your Death Confidant up to 7 as quickly as you reasonably can. Before dungeon 2 is ideal.
Get your Sun Confidant up to rank 2 and do not increase it again until after dungeon 2.
Get your Fortune confidant up to rank up to 7 as quickly as you reasonably can. Before dungeon 3 is great, before dungeon 4 is necessary.

Do dungeons from 2 on in a single day to save time.
When you hold things up, get money from them at all opportunities.

Give your plant fertiliser whenever you can.
Always have a book on you.

Hunt11 posted:

Make sure to take a bath on Mondays and Thursdays and be sure to drink those smoothies every Sunday.

Don't stress. There is plenty of time to do everything important in this game as long as you keep a level head.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Take your time.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
For those who have played this game long enough to know what "Rivers in the Desert" is, here's a metal take on it. If the name means nothing to you, don't click the link, spoilers and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0jYmJ2iV8

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

AG3 posted:

For those who have played this game long enough to know what "Rivers in the Desert" is, here's a metal take on it. If the name means nothing to you, don't click the link, spoilers and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0jYmJ2iV8

The link is fine if you alt tab out and listen to the song (don't watch the video, don't read the comments). Persona 5 has the best music, and this is a pretty drat good cover.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The game isn't that difficult, I never needed to grind at all. I mean, don't avoid fights in dungeons unless you have to, like if your party is almost dead or something. SP can be tight early on, with very little options to restore it until a bit later. Also keep up to date with Mementos. I don't think I ever really hit any bosses which felt like a roadblock, some mid-dungeon bosses kind of were but usually fusing new Personas helped. Oh yeah, and remember to Always Be Fusin'.

Keep leveling up your Confidants (Social Links) also, especially Party Members, and when you hang out with them make sure you have a Persona with a matching Arcana for the link. You get more points to level up the link that way, which can be helpful.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All the DLC Personas can be summoned free for the first time and even early game where SP might be limited, physical attacks still scale in HP usage. Later on fused Persona start becoming a better option (LV90 persona can only gain so many stats before maxing out at LV99) but it makes sure you can be dating your teacher before the Hawaii trip starts.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm on 12/22 in P5 and I've maxed out every confidant except Hanged Man (don't really use guns), Tower (same), and Devil (perks aren't worth it). In retrospect, I wish I had spent more time with the first two due to the proficiency and kindness rewards

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I'm playing this again after nearly a year. On the nights when Ryuji will text you to rank up to 7 (when he invites you to Tsukishima), how does that text trigger, if you've met the requirements? Do you need to go upstairs and try to sleep?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm playing this again after nearly a year. On the nights when Ryuji will text you to rank up to 7 (when he invites you to Tsukishima), how does that text trigger, if you've met the requirements? Do you need to go upstairs and try to sleep?

It happens automatically on certain preset days.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ann's Knocked Down position is...something.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

waah posted:

Date your teacher.

Date the nerd

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Date everyone.

Everyone.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Date me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

BrightWing posted:

Date everyone.
Future Persona 6 thread title.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BrightWing posted:

Date everyone.

Everyone.

do not date your little sister

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Instant Grat posted:

And become Sojiro's son-in-law.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 27, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Future Persona 6 thread title.

I am thou, thou art I

Thou hast acquired the man-whore persona

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

TwoPair posted:

I am thou, thou art I

Thou hast acquired the man-whore persona

Zeus?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

By the way, how exactly does the Midnight Bandana DLC item work (the one that increases All Out Attack power)? Does everyone in your party need to be wearing one for it to work?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Instant Grat posted:

You have to draw a line somewhere. This is the place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

By the way, how exactly does the Midnight Bandana DLC item work (the one that increases All Out Attack power)? Does everyone in your party need to be wearing one for it to work?

The DLC items generally stack from what I've seen.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Looking for the name of the upbeat song that plays a few times, first reference that comes to mind is the party after Haru's palace but probably also at the beach?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Instant Grat posted:

People who are fundamentally against dating Futaba are weird. She is Sojiro's adopted daughter, and you are temporarily living in his workplaces attic. She's not the MC's sister, she's not his step-sister, you don't even live in the same house. Also, she's not real and a video game character.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dated everyone but Futaba because it felt weird going from "let's get you back into society in even the most basic capacity" to "also let's get romantic."

Just felt like you can't do both for a person in a situation, imo

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Shinjobi posted:

I dated everyone but Futaba because it felt weird going from "let's get you back into society in even the most basic capacity" to "also let's get romantic."

Just felt like you can't do both for a person in a situation, imo

I can see your point there. If you are essentially teaching someone about socialization and acting as their lifeline to return to society there is a risk of a power imbalance, where the person can feel like they can't refuse you or even challenge you. However, in this case it's pretty clear that is not at play. Futaba never acts scared of Joker, or changes herself to fit his wishes. If they continue dating after he returns home, she will have no issues standing up to him or even breaking off the relationship if she feels that is necessary. It's a grey area, but one that resolves favorably I think.

People who call her your little sister are weird though, she doesn't even fit that role socially.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think it's just a natural extension of people treating Sojiro as your surrogate dad, and since Futaba's his (adopted) daughter, well that makes you siblings, even though it doesn't because again, Sojiro isn't actually your dad.

I do agree with Shinjobi and thought it was super awkward that a date option was "girl with zero social skills who is just recovering from what can generously be called an anxiety disorder". Also in the course of typing this post I realized that Futaba is the only romance option that's younger than the protagonist, which isn't awkward, it's only by a few years, but still.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kaza42 posted:

I can see your point there. If you are essentially teaching someone about socialization and acting as their lifeline to return to society there is a risk of a power imbalance, where the person can feel like they can't refuse you or even challenge you. However, in this case it's pretty clear that is not at play. Futaba never acts scared of Joker, or changes herself to fit his wishes. If they continue dating after he returns home, she will have no issues standing up to him or even breaking off the relationship if she feels that is necessary. It's a grey area, but one that resolves favorably I think.

People who call her your little sister are weird though, she doesn't even fit that role socially.

I dunno, there are tons and tons of stories out there about car crash survivors getting married to the person who helped rehabilitate them and situations like that. Heck, people don't even really seem to think dating Kawakami is weird so I'm surprised power balance in the relationship is an issue with Futaba, but I think if the roles were reversed and the MC was a girl and Kawakami was a man the general perception would be different. But even then, Joker isn't some sort of professional therapist, he's just a slightly older kid trying to help her out. Plus, it's not like exactly how the relationship works out is up to speculation - she's the one who is deciding what she wants to do and has her own agency about what's happening in the relationship. Futaba is the one confessing to you, you're not grooming her or anything.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TwoPair posted:

I think it's just a natural extension of people treating Sojiro as your surrogate dad, and since Futaba's his (adopted) daughter, well that makes you siblings, even though it doesn't because again, Sojiro isn't actually your dad.

I wonder if there's a correlation between the people who see Futaba as a sister figure and the people who got into the series with Persona 4. Maybe part of it is people seeing the parallels between Sojiro/Futaba and Dojima/Nanako.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I do agree with Shinjobi and thought it was super awkward that a date option was "girl with zero social skills who is just recovering from what can generously be called an anxiety disorder". Also in the course of typing this post I realized that Futaba is the only romance option that's younger than the protagonist, which isn't awkward, it's only by a few years, but still.

I think Futaba's only one year younger than the protagonist (she'd be a freshman in high school if she was attending), but I get your point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I dunno, there are tons and tons of stories out there about car crash survivors getting married to the person who helped rehabilitate them and situations like that. Heck, people don't even really seem to think dating Kawakami is weird so I'm surprised power balance in the relationship is an issue with Futaba, but I think if the roles were reversed and the MC was a girl and Kawakami was a man the general perception would be different. But even then, Joker isn't some sort of professional therapist, he's just a slightly older kid trying to help her out. Plus, it's not like exactly how the relationship works out is up to speculation - she's the one who is deciding what she wants to do and has her own agency about what's happening in the relationship. Futaba is the one confessing to you, you're not grooming her or anything.

Dating Kawakami, Ohyo, and Takemi is super hosed up considering they're all 30+ year old women with positions of power over the MC in some way dating a high schooler.

Do not date your teacher, the doctor using you for unethical experiments or the lush reporter explicitly using you to get revenge on someone.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Zore posted:

Dating Kawakami, Ohyo, and Takemi is super hosed up considering they're all 30+ year old women with positions of power over the MC in some way dating a high schooler.

Do not date your teacher, the doctor using you for unethical experiments or the lush reporter explicitly using you to get revenge on someone.

Sure, but I'm a dirty crime boy who doesn't follow society's rules. I've gotta find love where I can get it. Also the MC is the one with creepy leverage in almost all of the relationships since most of them involve you solving their problems by secretly using the metaverse to brainwash someone close to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dont date ohya either because what the heck give me better social link buffs ya butthead